The "I Just Saw Forbidden Kingdom" Thread

ricoraney

CAGiversary!
Jackie Chan and Jet Li on the same screen together is something that all martial arts movie buffs have been waiting for. When you see this movie you won't be disappointed. Both are at their very best. Jackie Chan was using the "Drunken-Style" technique a la "The Drunken Master 1 & 2". The story was awesome and the action was top-notch. For those who haven't seen it, go!. For those that have, tell me what you thought of it.

[quote name='ricoraney']Jackie Chan and Jet Li on the same screen together is something that all martial arts movie buffs have been waiting for. When you see this movie you won't be disappointed. Both are at their very best. Jackie Chan was using the "Drunken-Style" technique a la "The Drunken Master 1 & 2". The story was awesome and the action was top-notch. For those who haven't seen it, go!. For those that have, tell me what you thought of it.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='poisonedpawn45']We just got back from seeing it, completely agree. One of the best martial arts movies I've seen. Jackie Chan & Jet Li FTW[/QUOTE]

WTF? I actually saw this and I have to say that this had some of the worst dialouge I have heard in a movie in a long time. The only gleaming fact was the action in the movie was excellent outside of that the story was silly to say the least.

Yeah, the action is good, but they should have just made the movie in Chinese and had subtitles for the English version so Jackie Chan doesn't sound so bad.

[quote name='cdeener']WTF? I actually saw this and I have to say that this had some of the worst dialouge I have heard in a movie in a long time. The only gleaming fact was the action in the movie was excellent outside of that the story was silly to say the least.[/QUOTE]
I've heard worse. And when I saw better, it hindered the movie, like Crouching Tiger. Just not enough action. Or not intense enough. And as far as the story goes. It was a fantasy. And as far as fantasy movies go, they are ususally far-fetched.

[quote name='ananag112']Yeah, the action is good, but they should have just made the movie in Chinese and had subtitles for the English version so Jackie Chan doesn't sound so bad.[/quote]

It definitely could have been better if all dialog which did not include the kid was in chinese. Throughout the movie i couldnt help but constantly wonder why they were speaking english as if it was their native language.

I thought Jet Li said he was done making this type of film?

Jet Li Says 'Fearless' Is His Last Film
Tuesday December 6 11:00 AM ET

Jet Li says the upcoming movie "Fearless," the story of Chinese martial arts pioneer Huo Yuanjia, will be his last martial arts film.

The 42-year-old actor told students at Fudan University that he wants to make more philosophical, family oriented movies, the Youth Daily newspaper reported Monday.

Li said he started taking a greater interest in spiritual matters in his mid-30s, when he realized "it wasn't enough to have a strong body, you had to have a strong soul."

ADVERTISEMENT
A practicing Buddhist, Li said he now divides his time between charity work and show business.

He said future projects could include another collaboration with French filmmaker Luc Besson, who wrote Li's 2001 hit, "Kiss of the Dragon."

However, Li added, he has been in talks with more than 20 Hollywood productions and will "shoot whichever one comes to fruition first."

Li's screen credits also include roles in "Lethal Weapon 4," "Romeo Must Die" and "Cradle 2 the Grave."

if they took out that kid the movie would have been great. But no, they always have to ruin good movies by throwing in some american kid who cant act. It's ASIA! NO AMERICANS PLEASE!
Wait for the dvd and fast forward to the action scenes

[quote name='chakan']I thought Jet Li said he was done making this type of film?

Jet Li says the upcoming movie "Fearless," the story of Chinese martial arts pioneer Huo Yuanjia, will be his last martial arts film.

The 42-year-old actor told students at Fudan University that he wants to make more philosophical, family oriented movies, the Youth Daily newspaper reported Monday.

Li said he started taking a greater interest in spiritual matters in his mid-30s, when he realized "it wasn't enough to have a strong body, you had to have a strong soul."

ADVERTISEMENT
A practicing Buddhist, Li said he now divides his time between charity work and show business.

He said future projects could include another collaboration with French filmmaker Luc Besson, who wrote Li's 2001 hit, "Kiss of the Dragon."

However, Li added, he has been in talks with more than 20 Hollywood productions and will "shoot whichever one comes to fruition first."

Li's screen credits also include roles in "Lethal Weapon 4," "Romeo Must Die" and "Cradle 2 the Grave."
[/QUOTE]

War would have contradicted that statement. I heard it was meant to include period pieces, so....whatever.

I absolutely loved it, as did my date. I thought it felt like a HK action flick with a Hollywood budget. And I'd say it was one of Jackie Chan's best movies in a long time.

Definite buy when it hits video (hopefully blu-ray).

Le Bing Bing, more like.....LE BANG BANG,

AMIRITE???

anyways, i might see it since I did like Hero, but hated House of Flying Daggers...

I thought it was a great martial art comedy. Jackie Chan can be a little hard to understand on occasion, but it's fine for the most part. I loved it.

[quote name='chakan']I thought Jet Li said he was done making this type of film?

ADVERTISEMENT

[/QUOTE]

I think he meant Fearless will be his last film centering around his Wushu martial art skills. He said that he doesn't want Wushu to be known as a hollywood entertainment. All of his martial art skills seen in his recent films are just straight fighting with touches of general ancient Chinese martial arts.

It was better than I expected. I still wish they hadn't stooped to the American audience's level by forcing a hackneyed white guy stumbles into mystical realm bit. Had this been a purely Chinese story about the Monkey King, it could have been the movie fans wanted in the first place. But, the sets were well-designed, and the action was solid, if a little over-floaty.

I don't care how bad the story sucked, that was a given right from the start. The action was superb.
I went to see the movie just to see Jet Li and Jackie Chan on the same screen. I read in a interview with Chan that he can't wait to work with Li again and I myself can't wait to be there day one when they make another movie together.

I still laugh at the Li bit, and I remember buying Fearless and on the cover it said " Jet Li's final martial arts master piece" and I actually bought into that. Either way It doesn't bother me now considering Jet Li is a awesome martial artist.

Two things:

First, I want my money back.

Second, there was a fair amount of Buddhist principles sprinkled throughout the movie. The overflowing cup segment was taken from a Zen story (http://goto.bilkent.edu.tr/gunes/ZEN/zenstories.htm, second one on the page), and the "Gate with no gate" or however they put it is probably in reference to The Gateless Gate

They really, really, really wrecked what could have been a great movie. Instead they took The Neverending Story, added Kung-Fu, and liberally sprinkled crap all over it.

[quote name='yeah-yeah']Two things:

First, I want my money back.

Second, there was a fair amount of Buddhist principles sprinkled throughout the movie. The overflowing cup segment was taken from a Zen story (http://goto.bilkent.edu.tr/gunes/ZEN/zenstories.htm, second one on the page), and the "Gate with no gate" or however they put it is probably in reference to The Gateless Gate

They really, really, really wrecked what could have been a great movie. Instead they took The Neverending Story, added Kung-Fu, and liberally sprinkled crap all over it.[/QUOTE]
Damn! It is not that serious, what the hell are you talking about?

[quote name='ricoraney']Damn! It is not that serious, what the hell are you talking about?[/QUOTE]

I'm talking about Zen Buddhist teachings sprinkled throughout the movie. From this article:

Jackie has said that you are into Buddhism. Did you impart any of your own thoughts and ideas in this movie?

No, not much. The screenwriter is a good friend of mine and we have been sparring partners for the past three years. I was among the first to get hold of the story and later we were joined by Jackie and others.

The screenwriter and I discussed how to turn the story into a fantasy and dream-like film. He is a superb screenwriter and has been learning Chinese martial arts for more than 10 years.

He has roughly put across in the film some of my basic understanding of martial arts and principles of Buddhism.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']It was better than I expected. I still wish they hadn't stooped to the American audience's level by forcing a hackneyed white guy stumbles into mystical realm bit. Had this been a purely Chinese story about the Monkey King, it could have been the movie fans wanted in the first place. But, the sets were well-designed, and the action was solid, if a little over-floaty.[/quote]

This.

bread's done
Back