The "I Love British Television" Thread

[quote name='benjamouth']I wonder what series Top Gear will start at, ahh who cares at least I get to fecking see it.[/quote]
They start at season 8 which was apparently last year. The description is:

"The guys transform a van into a convertible. Also, previous guests stop by to test out the Chevrolet Lacetti".

The next episode is:

"Chef Gordon Ramsay tests his driving skills on the racetrack. Also, Jeremy test drives a Jaguar. The guys host a radio show."

[quote name='AshesofWake']oooooooooooh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Quote:
It looks like the world's highest production cost car show, Top Gear, is coming to America. BBC America that is. That's right -- Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, and James May won't just be stopping by to hoon around a bit like they did last time, instead it looks as though they'll be coming stateside to a local cable operator near you -- at least according to the BBC America site. They're showing off air times starting on August 20th with "Episode 1." No idea what season that means they'll be showing although the Top Gear BBC America page does show the guests for this season include "Ewan McGregor, Ray Winstone, and Sir Michael Gambon as well as celebrity chefs Gordon Ramsay and Jamie Oliver."
UPDATE: We've spoken with a person at BBC America who tells us that yes, this is official -- BBC America will be airing Top Gear UK starting August 20th!

http://jalopnik.com/cars/top-gear/to...ica-288102.php[/quote]
[quote name='Maklershed']Just a reminder .. Top Gear starts this Monday at 8.[/quote]

:roll:

I've really been loving this season of Doctor Who so far and I can't wait until Torchwood starts next month on BBC America.

Don't get too excited about Torchwood or you will be let down. It starts out pretty bad.

Also, isnt last year's Top Gear the last series of it? I haven't seen any new ones up on the trackers.

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Don't get too excited about Torchwood or you will be let down. It starts out pretty bad.

Also, isnt last year's Top Gear the last series of it? I haven't seen any new ones up on the trackers.[/QUOTE]

series 9 is the latest season. the one where hammond returns from his crash

Torchwood starts tomorrow night, right?

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!']Don't get too excited about Torchwood or you will be let down. It starts out pretty bad.[/quote]

Damn..really? I'm looking forward to seeing it. Can you elaborate any further on what "pretty bad" means without spoiling anything?

[quote name='bmachine']Torchwood starts tomorrow night, right?

Damn..really? I'm looking forward to seeing it. Can you elaborate any further on what "pretty bad" means without spoiling anything?[/quote]

Where do I begin? : ( I am a huge Cpt. Jack fan. He's not really in it that much.. That's a huge letdown for me. It seems to focus on his inept teammates for the most part.
The people he works with are total incompetants and retards, not to mention horrible actors. The scripts are pretty bad for the most part. The stories don't start getting enjoyable to watch till about half way through the series. The only TW member that is likeable is Ianto ( except for his whiny episode).

You just expect to see some high tech alien fighting organisation that uses alien tech in an xfiles/ sci fi setting and instead you get some crappy "edgy" :roll: soap opera with bad acting and stupid stories.
I had such high hopes for it, but I can't stand the characters aside from Cj and Ianto.
I'm sure it will be edited to hell as well since they do a lot of stuff you cant get away with on cable over here.

Maybe I'm just wierd and have bad taste, I dont know. I know a lot of people felt the same way I did on the UKN forums, so maybe I'm not that far off base.
Any Cpt. Jack is great though, even if he's not as cool in this as he is in DW.

It is cool though how the last episode of TW ties into the last story arc of the newest series of DW, so you might want to try and watch it if you don't already.

Series 2 is starting up soon and I know it's suppose to have more backstory for CJ, so hopefully that means more screentime and better stories.

Hope I haven't spoiled it or ruined anything for you, but I think you'll end up liking it better if you dont go into it with high hopes like I did. :p

Perhaps someone from this thread can help me out. I've been looking for a BBC (I'm 99% sure it was a BBC show/documentary) show/documentary on the the meaning/psychological aspects of Status. I believe that was the title of the documentary as well, but haven't been able to find it anywhere, either on the BBC site, on DVD, etc. etc. etc.

Anybody know what I'm talking about/can point me to a title/vid/something?

[quote name='AshesofWake']series 9 is the latest season. the one where hammond returns from his crash[/quote]
The one where they come to America to buy a used car, travel, and then sell it has got to be the best episode evah hands down. lol

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Perhaps someone from this thread can help me out. I've been looking for a BBC (I'm 99% sure it was a BBC show/documentary) show/documentary on the the meaning/psychological aspects of Status. I believe that was the title of the documentary as well, but haven't been able to find it anywhere, either on the BBC site, on DVD, etc. etc. etc.

Anybody know what I'm talking about/can point me to a title/vid/something?[/quote]

is this what you are talking about?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0403538/#comment

If so, I haven't seen it around, but if I do, I'll let ya know.

[quote name='VipFREAK']The one where they come to America to buy a used car, travel, and then sell it has got to be the best episode evah hands down. lol[/QUOTE]

:rofl: that was a great episode :rofl:

If anyone is interested, the 1st episode of Shaun the Sheep series 2 is out. It's up at ukn, but I'm sure its up elsewhere as well. Imo, it better than Wallace and Grommit ( blasphemy I know).

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']to answer my own question... yes it seems so.[/quote]

Sorry, just noticed this thread. Didn't get into Red Dward til relatively recently, but it is pretty great.

Also love Chris Barrie in Brittas Empire

[quote name='VipFREAK']OMG, they started showing Coupling again! Lol

It's what friend's should've been or an actual funny version of it.[/quote]

The first three seasons are solid, but the loss of Jeff really killed the fourth.

Yeah... it kind went down hill after that. I think he was the funniest too.

[quote name='Jeff Murdock'] I have the key to the gates of paradice, but I've got too many legs![/quote]

Bwahahahahaha!1!!!
lmfao.gif
lmfao.gif
lmfao.gif

A lot of great stuff has popped up ukn the last few weeks for anyone interested in trying new things.

New series:

First few epis Series 2 of Shaun the Sheep. - Better then Wallace and Grommit ;P

Reseeds:

Meet Ricky Gervais - pretty decent talk show he had before the office.
If you enjoy his massive ego, you will enjoy this as well.

Qi series 2,3,4 for anyone who enjoys learning and laughing at the same time - best quiz/panel show ever!

First few epis of series 2 of This Morning With Richard Not Judy is up, the rest to follow soon. Lee and Herring.
Will probably never get released on dvd and this is the only way to see any L&H shows. - by torrent. They are probably the most requested reseed of any comedy shows on UKN.

Fist of Fun - more Lee and Herring. ^
If you haven't seen any Lee and Herring, you're missing out.

Also since it look slike a lot of top gear fans are on here, there is a reseed of series 8 up as well.

I hope some of you will give some of these shows a chance, since I would never have discovered all the great stuff I was missing if someone else hadn't recommended it to me :)

[quote name='Noodle Pirate!'] Meet Ricky Gervais - pretty decent talk show he had before the office.
If you enjoy his massive ego, you will enjoy this as well.[/quote]

Not expressly television, but still related. If you haven't heard "The Ricky Gervais Show" you should definitely check it out. It's a series of podcasts featuring Gervais (ego in tow) and Office/Extras co-creator Stephen Merchant with 'global idiot' Karl Pilkington.

[quote name='AshesofWake']fucking Top Gear, i've been watching this show non-stop since last friday. fucking LOVE IT. holy shit.[/quote]
*high-fives*

I just got done watching Torchwood. I'm not really into X-Files type of shows but I really dug this. Looks like it has a lot of potential and based on the first episode, I recommend it.

Anyone else watching The Peter Serafinowicz Show? I love some of his older stuff and marvel at his wide range of voice impressions ( if you like his Michael caine, check out World of Pub's Michael Caine episode).

This series has some hit or miss stuff but I'm loving the Butterfield direct series of adverts. His versions of a famous UK PI line advert.
[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhgdRiD7R1k&NR=1[/MEDIA]

Other new series I'm digging right now are Q.I. , Commando, and The French Foreign Legion - Tougher then the Rest.
Couldn't get into the new series of Strutter. I like some of Paul Kaye's older stuff but think I'm getting too old to enjoy the "outrageous" nonstop cussing and painful clips.

Not really UK related but close enough, The new Micallef series "Newstopia" has also just started and is pretty good (Although not as good as "The Micallef Program"). A few AUS region based topics that I don't understand enough to appreciate the jokes, but still overall very accessible to non AUS people and still very funny.
http://programs.sbs.com.au/newstopia/
Full episode without commercials is streamed for 1 week at the website.

Anyone else have any recommendations of new stuff out that I might have missed?

Top Gear is quality. I was checking it out last year when they sorta Americanized the studio bits. I'm glad it's mostly unedited now, even though it's a bit behind. The caravaning episode I nearly peed my pants.

The Vicar of Dibley is pretty funny too, it's on PBS occasionally.

[quote name='AshesofWake']fucking Top Gear, i've been watching this show non-stop since last friday. fucking LOVE IT. holy shit.[/QUOTE]

Top Gear on BBCA is an edited mess.

Go to WWW.FINALGEAR.COM and download all the brit broadcasts (also Fifth Gear, the less funny more seriious car show) from like 2000 to present day (including the older original Top Gear from the late 80's and early 90's that was also a serious car show, like MotorWeek here in the states).

PS: Top Gear season 10 just started up in the UK.....sadly the show is running out of steam to a certain degree, but its still the only show I watch every single week. Funny how I pay $75 a month for Cable TV and the only show I watch consistently is the one I gotta download :)

HEY, do any of you brit-TV savvy types know if they ever did anything more with the show ULTRAVIOLET, about the vampires trying to take over the world? It was just a single miniseries right??

bread's done
Back