The "I'm blowing my tax return on..." thread

levi333

CAGiversary!
Feedback
99 (99%)
(I dont think one of these has been made, but if so, delete at will.)

I did my taxes last night (turbotax online), and was amazed to find out ill be getting just over $2,000 back! Not too shabby considering I barely paid more than that in Federal tax.
After entering all my college tuition and school books, my refund just started shooting up.

I'm now looking to blow it on an HDTV, probably LCD, around 40". (I know, ill have to spend more than that)

What are my fellow CAGs spending there returns on? Or are you planning on saving it?
Good place to bitch and moan if you owe too.

[quote name='levi333'](I dont think one of these has been made, but if so, delete at will.)

I did my taxes last night (turbotax online), and was amazed to find out ill be getting just over $2,000 back! Not too shabby considering I barely paid more than that in Federal tax.
After entering all my college tuition and school books, my refund just started shooting up.

I'm now looking to blow it on an HDTV, probably LCD, around 40". (I know, ill have to spend more than that)

What are my fellow CAGs spending there returns on? Or are you planning on saving it?
Good place to bitch and moan if you owe too.[/QUOTE]

Prawn! Actually, I'm just saving it for my pool for next year's taxes. I have to do it all myself; my employer doesn't take it out automatically like a few people I know. :cry:

I wish I would be getting a tax return:bomb: :bomb: :bomb: I will owe about $7k. If I was the op, I would get the 50" sony, I forget the model number, but it is like hxrs or something like that...it was on sale last wk for $3100 at tweeter, usually $4k...combines lcd and dlp...

I owed alot last year, so this year I had a bunch extra taken out. I'm hoping to get a refund this time around. It will go in my saving account to help get back what I had in there before the fiasco last year.

T

[quote name='SpottedNigel']Paying off a credit card.

Wee, how fun.

Well, I might put some $ towards a sub 100 tablet (and opinions on those?)[/QUOTE]

Assuming you're talking about a graphics tablet, they're pretty cool. I went with a more expensive one myself (the Wacom Intuos 3, under $300), and it's totally amazing. I have used the cheaper ones, and they're pretty good as well. The smaller ones are even better if you use it with a laptop, as they're more easily stowed with it. If you can afford it and would use it, I'd reccommend the larger, more expensive ones, but if you can't, it's still a great accessory.

Good luck!

Depending how much I get, some of it goes to my future PS3 and the rest is on my car. It's been out of commision now for about 3 months. :cry:

The wacom tablet does sound like a wise investment though.

Going to Antigua in June, for my nephew's wedding. Provided I get a decent return, the funds will go towards my stay at Sandals.

My return is a little over $500. I'm going to save it like I did last year's because I know I'm going to be out of work again (just now going back) due to surgery.

I'm getting around $3,000 back and that is going towards an engagement ring....however, I do like the OP's idea of getting an HDTV ;)

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Hey, if you get a cheap ring you can do both. ;)[/QUOTE]

I know, at least with the HDTV, it is something we both could enjoy ;)

Got a shitload of money back. A large part of it was because I deployed to Iraq and a quarter of my year's pay was non-taxable.

Anyway, I did the boring thing and paid off my debts. Paid off my Grand Cherokee, credit card, and another loan I had. Now, I am totally debt free, and it's kicking ass.

Oh yeah, I did buy an Xbox, Sega Saturn and a Sega Genesis, but that's about it.

I have a feeling I'll be disappointed this year, only because I got a $2000+ return last year (due to over $10k in tuition; only spent about $3k this year), but I guess I technically used that to buy an engagement ring.

This year, saving as usual no matter what it is, but in reality it will just cover a few months of games or earn interest until the Revolution arrives.

[quote name='Titans24']I'm getting around $3,000 back and that is going towards an engagement ring....however, I do like the OP's idea of getting an HDTV ;)[/QUOTE]
I can help you with getting a diamond ring...i work for my father, who is in the gift business...he used to own about 10 jewelry stores. Some of his best friends are still importers of diamonds. I got about a 50% discount on the one I got my fiance last year. If you are interested, let me know the size, cut, clarity and color, and price range, and I will see what I can do.

Paying bills and the wife is getting new couches. If anything left over maybe I'll pick up a surround sound system.

Wow, so like 5% of people here plan on actually saving their money? And then people wonder why they have to use their returns to pay off their credit card debts.

[quote name='Quackzilla']Google stock is down, so I will buy as many shares as possible before it goes back up.[/QUOTE]

Down to $368 a share.. I sure hope you have a hell of a return, its a bit hard to get 2 shares of a company.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Down to $368 a share.. I sure hope you have a hell of a return, its a bit hard to get 2 shares of a company.[/QUOTE]
The return is just supplementing the purchase.

[quote name='ryanbph']I can help you with getting a diamond ring...i work for my father, who is in the gift business...he used to own about 10 jewelry stores. Some of his best friends are still importers of diamonds. I got about a 50% discount on the one I got my fiance last year. If you are interested, let me know the size, cut, clarity and color, and price range, and I will see what I can do.[/QUOTE]

Thanks ryanbph, I'm pretty much looking at two different cuts, an emerald cut and a designer cut called the Lucere. I've looked around a bit, but wanted towaint intil I have my tax refund before I end up buying someting.

[quote name='Quackzilla']The return is just supplementing the purchase.[/QUOTE]

If you're making a large enough investment... the best you can come up with is Google? Its a high value stock.. and there's a ceiling there somewhere.. not to mention it is a tech stock. You could get much better return with less risk from a hundred different choices.

[quote name='doodle777_98']actually i've been saving up to start an IRA. That's where my money is going.[/QUOTE]I've got an IRA ... or maybe 2 of them. I don't remember. :lol:

[quote name='Titans24']Thanks ryanbph, I'm pretty much looking at two different cuts, an emerald cut and a designer cut called the Lucere. I've looked around a bit, but wanted towaint intil I have my tax refund before I end up buying someting.[/QUOTE]

Oh, mine is an emerald cut, and I love it. Don't know if your gal would go for this, but my center stone is a huge emerald cut aquamarine, with rows of baguette diamonds down the sides. The aquamarine was actually my grandmother's engagement ring, so it meant a lot to me. It was less expensive in the long run, but it looks really stunning, and I don't go a week I don't get a compliment on it, because it's not just a diamond. Your gal has to be a bit non-traditional, though.

I'm spending my refund on paying off my Grand Cherokee. Then, the rest goes in the bank. I'm a teacher, and we have to save for the summer months. But if I teach summer courses and we don't need the cash, I'll use it to pay off the hubby's car.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Wow, so like 5% of people here plan on actually saving their money? And then people wonder why they have to use their returns to pay off their credit card debts.[/QUOTE]

Haha I actually thought the same exact thing. I'm such a saver but I'll probably die with a million in the bank and never have the fun spending it. Everyone around me has big houses, new cars, the latest gadgets and anything else you can think of. I know I make more money than 95% of the population but I always feel like I can't afford that stuff. I have no debt though other than my mortgage and a very small amount of my student loan and I'm willing to bet those other people are in massive credit card debt or they won't be able to afford to send their kids to college or whatever...

[quote name='WebScud']Penial implant. Or money twoards a new car. I can't decided which is better.[/QUOTE]
depends, what car you have now...They may not see your penial implant if you don't have a nice car:joystick: ...I kid i Kid

got about 3800 bought a new desktop and laptop for the wife(no more fighting over the pc!) and than paid off my two highest interest loans. After that is till had about a third of the return to deposit into savings.

1. car insurance
2. home owner's insurance
3. property tax for my home
4. car registrations
5. my parents' taxes since they owe

Paying off my bills with it...sadly, it won't be that much, so I'll only pay off about half of my credit card bill (which is still better then nothing).

bread's done
Back