The Indiefort Bundle - available April 5th

Hm.. Wanderlust looks really interesting, but I don't care for the rest and I already got Steel Storm from a different bundle. I'm guessing most of the games won't have Steam keys.

Yep, considering Steel Storm is the only game on Steam the others probably won't have keys. Possibly Desura. I know Kenshi is on Desura but didn't know it was finished.

Funny how the Steel Storm Dev rants about how bundles don't make him money and how evil the bundle folks are and yet continues to stick his game in bloody near every bundle out there...

[quote name='Mooby']Yep, considering Steel Storm is the only game on Steam the others probably won't have keys. Possibly Desura. I know Kenshi is on Desura but didn't know it was finished.[/QUOTE]

It's not. From the Indie fort page:

Just so you know up front, this game is still very much in the alpha stage of development, thus is by no means a “finished” product. As a matter of fact, it ranked in our list of Top 10 Most Promising Indie Games in Alpha Stage!

Seeing as this is put on by Gamersgate who is a Steam competitor, I don't expect Steam keys.

I might bite with Desura keys but I am getting the feeling here you won't even get that but rather DRM free with the option to have it added to and download from a Gamersgate account, which is pretty much the same as a DRM free direct download since there's no client and they never update.

Since Gamersgate is doing this, this is being put on by Europeans. In general the continental Europeans seem to me just based on completely ancedtoal observation to be more anti Steam anti client and pro completely DRM free but that doesn't really work well for someone like me with a large collection of games. They just get lost. I think I will pass on this.

[quote name='Bios Element']Funny how the Steel Storm Dev rants about how bundles don't make him money and how evil the bundle folks are and yet continues to stick his game in bloody near every bundle out there...[/QUOTE]

cause his game makes even less money without them ;)

[quote name='Bios Element']Funny how the Steel Storm Dev rants about how bundles don't make him money and how evil the bundle folks are and yet continues to stick his game in bloody near every bundle out there...[/QUOTE]

I wonder how many people see his game in this and decide to put in a buck or two less than they would have if it was all games that they didn't own. He could be hurting the other developers by doing this because they all get a little bit less from the pot.

[quote name='louiedog']I wonder how many people see his game in this and decide to put in a buck or two less than they would have if it was all games that they didn't own. He could be hurting the other developers by doing this because they all get a little bit less from the pot.[/QUOTE]

That's what I'd do, I'd pay less if there are games included that I already own. So to me, I value this bundle as 5 games, not 6.

That's actually a pretty great bundle, Steam or not. Cardinal Quest and Wanderlust are both fantastic old school RPGs. Kenshi looks promising. Already own Steel Storm but it's a solid little game. Black Market and Demise I don't know much about but seem interesting. I mean, an indie bundle with like 4 masive RPGs and a space sim type game is like crack for me.

Eh. No Steam bums me out, and I got Cardinal Quest free from some promotion at some point and wasn't really a fan. Possibly because I'm willing to play full roguelikes like Nethack. And I've got Steel Storm from some other bundle. I'll probably end up skipping it but I'll take a closer look at the other games later just to make sure.

I already have Steel Storm from a previous HIB.

The other games seem interesting, but I feel like we're reaching a point where some of the titles in various bundles may begin to overlap.

Looks interesting but no Steam is a dealbreaker. It's just there are so many games out there, I can't keep track of what I own anymore if it's not on a platform like Steam :lol:.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Looks interesting but no Steam is a dealbreaker. It's just there are so many games out there, I can't keep track of what I own anymore if it's not on a platform like Steam :lol:.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever heard of something called a spreadsheet? Does wonders.:D

[quote name='Motoki']Seeing as this is put on by Gamersgate who is a Steam competitor, I don't expect Steam keys.

[/QUOTE]

Um, this. It's a Gamersgate bundle, guys. You won't be seeing Steam keys or any other keys, I expect. That said, it looks pretty good to me. I already bought Cardinal Quest from the Indievania site and I already have Steel Storm on Steam from a previous bundle but most of the other games look pretty cool too. Black Market, Demise, and Kenshi appear to have a lot of potential; Wanderlust I'm not really sold on (looks JRPGish to me, a sub-genre I loathe), but the rest definitely seem worthwhile.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']None of these games look enticing to me. All I see is higher prices and less good games in these bundles lately.[/QUOTE]

Devil Whiskey looks okay, I guess.

I think Kenshi's description on the site linked in the OP is hilarious. "Abandons crutches like level scaling!" Yes, you're so very indie by referring to features intended to enhance the user experience as "crutches." Fun? What's fun? If you don't follow this arbitrary progression path then you need to DIE.

But I agree - even the original Humble Indie Bundle has come up with a new way to nag you if you don't pay a minimum every time for the last three bundles.

Devs: if your games were THAT good, I'd buy them without the bundle. Better yet, you might even look into working with a publisher if you're that interested in making money! As it is, though, maybe you should focus on the "humble" part for awhile. Games are a business, not a charity.

Worth noting that Demise is actually not in the Bundle. It was a mistake in the article apparently. The real game is Devil Whiskey which is a pretty similar type of game.

[quote name='Corpekata']Worth noting that Demise is actually not in the Bundle. It was a mistake in the article apparently. The real game is Devil Whiskey which is a pretty similar type of game.[/QUOTE]

Yeah it does look pretty similar if somewhat less refined. These remind me of the Eye of the Beholder games.

[quote name='Corpekata']Worth noting that Demise is actually not in the Bundle. It was a mistake in the article apparently. The real game is Devil Whiskey which is a pretty similar type of game.[/QUOTE]

Was away from my PC when I became aware of this, have updated the OP.

[quote name='sir_fragalot']looks interesting but no steam is a dealbreaker. It's just there are so many games out there, i can't keep track of what i own anymore if it's not on a platform like steam :lol:.[/quote]

[quote name='provis']no steam is a deal breaker. With these smaller games i will forget i own them if they are on anything else.[/quote]

+1

Last edited by a moderator:
Too much work to use a simple spreadsheet?

You can make different sheets for each distribution platform you have (Steam, GOG, GamersGate, etc.). Under each sheet list the games you've bought on there. Easy way to track what you own.

Don't take this as an insult but this modern attitude of gamers that they can't possibly deal with managing games across multiple platforms is silly. Life could be much worse than having games outside of Steam.

Why are you guys disappointed these games aren't on steam?
Last time I checked Steam was just a way to implement DRM.
The point of most of these indie bundles are to be DRM-free.

[quote name='speedwerd']Why are you guys disappointed these games aren't on steam?
Last time I checked Steam was just a way to implement DRM.
The point of most of these indie bundles are to be DRM-free.[/QUOTE]
Because Steam is convenient.

It's not like you'll need a spreadsheet. In all likelihood these will be connected to a gamersgate account. Remember a password. The end.

[quote name='sykotek']Because Steam is convenient.[/QUOTE]

Is it so inconvenient to do this?

Start --> [Publisher Folder] --> [Game Folder] --> [Game Launcher File]

Honestly, Steam obsession is insane. It's a nice platform, but you can survive if a few games run outside it. Plus, like said above by someone else, some of these indie games operate outside of the big publisher / DRM bubble so it's nice to see Steam-free options.

I personally find it annoying when something is Steam-exclusive. I want to actually own the game without a 3rd party in the middle.

[quote name='inm8num2']Is it so inconvenient to do this?

Honestly, Steam obsession is insane. It's a nice platform, but you can survive if a few games run outside it. Plus, like said above by someone else, some of these indie games operate outside of the big publisher / DRM bubble so it's nice to see Steam-free options.

I personally find it annoying when something is Steam-exclusive. I want to actually own the game without a 3rd party in the middle.[/QUOTE]

Personally I dont want many things outside steam because I have multiple computers and steam lets me keep it all in order, also I have a huge back log so I could make a database of new games that I didnt really seek to buy outside a bundle or I could play one of my back log. Thats just my reasoning, and I do have a folder with 25+ gigs of individual games that are not on steam, dont really want to add more.

[quote name='inm8num2']Is it so inconvenient to do this?

I personally find it annoying when something is Steam-exclusive. I want to actually own the game without a 3rd party in the middle.[/QUOTE]
I don't have a huge hard drive...

so for me, it's more like...
[look at library] --> [install desired game] --> [play]

rather than...
[get off my high horse] --> [walk to bookshelf] --> [grab cd binder] --> [flip through looking for games] --> [place cd into computer] --> [find cd key] --> [enter cd key] --> [update game if available] --> [back on high horse] --> [post on forums about Steam being DRM when someone simply says it's convenient] --> [back to roaming the forums]

[quote name='sykotek']I don't have a huge hard drive...

rather than...
[get off my high horse] --> [walk to bookshelf] --> [grab cd binder] --> [flip through looking for games] --> [place cd into computer] --> [find cd key] --> [enter cd key] --> [update game if available] --> [back on high horse] --> [post on forums about Steam being DRM when someone simply says it's convenient] --> [back to roaming the forums][/QUOTE]

Awesome.

it's not really as odd as it sounds; if you feel it's hurting devs because now people wait for bundles, it's understandable to both dislike them and feel forced to be part of them.

that said? i think it's great for devs

rather than...
[get off my high horse] --> [walk to bookshelf] --> [grab cd binder] --> [flip through looking for games] --> [place cd into computer] --> [find cd key] --> [enter cd key] --> [update game if available] --> [back on high horse] --> [post on forums about Steam being DRM when someone simply says it's convenient] --> [back to roaming the forums][/QUOTE]

Or [open different client] --> [find game] --> [install/play]

Is navigating another list of games outside of Steam when deciding what to install that difficult?

Just letting people know there is life outside of Steam, and running a game outside of it isn't an inconvenience in the grand scheme of things. But I do laugh at how defensive people are of Steam in the face of any criticism or suggestion that people realize it's okay to use another client/website/download service. I'd say someone's on the high horse, but it ain't me. :D

I like Steam, I just don't need to have all my games on it. Oh, and I'd like to see you explain how Steam isn't DRM. TIA.

rather than...

I find it funny that a Steam supporter is telling someone else to get off their "High Horse". Sorta like the pot calling the kettle black.

I too prefer drm-free games. I do have games from Origin, Steam, Gamersgate and Greenman Gaming, so using a client or account isn't foreign or scary to me. But I've been playing games and using no-cd cracks long before Steam came out and all it takes is a little effort to keep track of your games by keeping them in a folder. You can even keep a folder of shortcuts on your desktop.

@inm8num2: Hey, I'm not the one on the soapbox calling people insane here just because they have different preferences than mine for PC gaming! I'm not the one offering archaic solutions for people to keep track of their games when there's already a perfectly acceptable and easy solution in place.

I'm also not arguing that Steam isn't DRM, but just because it's DRM, doesn't automatically make it bad. Steam is DRM done right in my opinion. I also never argued that I needed all my games on it...I'm starting to think you have me mistaken for someone else, all I've really been saying is, in general, people like Steam because it is convenient and that convenience simply doesn't fit into the narrow-minded definition you've provided to illustrate your points.

If you like it, you like it. If you don't, you don't. I don't need to defend Steam to you or bother to convince you to use it, but to debate Steam's convenience with alternatives like spreadsheets or backlogs is just plain ridiculous. Why bother playing with charts and graphs all day when you can be playing games instead?

@mogamer: Hey, I'm not the one jumping on someone for only stating...and I quote "Because Steam is convenient." as an answer to "Why are you guys disappointed these games aren't on steam?" Nowhere did I say I only played games on Steam and as you can see by my example, Steam as a service is far more convenient than dealing with CDs for installations. You shouldn't ASSume.

LOL. Archaic solutions? Spending all day with charts and graphs? Would it take you all day to think of a game you want to play and click a button?

Or how about a self-created list of games? Better yet, every digital download service lists your games/purchases for you. I use my memory to remember where something was purchased. It's actually a nice brain exercise.

And who's talking about CDs? Is Steam the only download service available? No other website or company offers digital downloads? So if it's not Steam, it's multiple CDs for installations? Steam or bust?

Your overblown reaction here is illogical and full of fallacy. I'm not arguing against why people like Steam or why it's convenient. Again, my point is that if you have to click another icon in your Start Menu the world will not end. Or, maybe it will and all civilized society will fall back into the dark ages of spreadsheets and other archaic solutions.

I didn't say people were insane. The obsession is insane. You're saying your incapable or unwilling to keep track of your games outside of Steam. That takes maybe...5 seconds each time you buy a game. And you do realize you can add the launchers to Steam? Or is that too much work?

You can keep attacking me but all you're doing is proving my point. I get the convenience. I don't get the anger, but it's there with most Steam loyalists. Suggesting a Steam alternative to Steamheads elicits an extremely negative, spiteful reaction.

I'm a "to each his own" kind of guy when it comes to the Steam/non-Steam thing. I understand why people want to have a monogamous relationship with Steam, but it's not for me. I'll pass this along for anyone who's interested: http://www.datacrow.net/. Data Crow is a totally free and very customizable database for cataloging media, including games.

[quote name='warreni']I'm a "to each his own" kind of guy when it comes to the Steam/non-Steam thing. I understand why people want to have a monogamous relationship with Steam, but it's not for me. I'll pass this along for anyone who's interested: http://www.datacrow.net/. Data Crow is a totally free and very customizable database for cataloging media, including games.[/QUOTE]

Thanks a million man! I'd been looking for a good free catalog for my music, dvds, and games and this looks like it will fit the bill 100%.

[quote name='inm8num2']LOL. Archaic solutions?
[/quote]

Yes, to me they are. I see no need for charts and papers and flipping through multiple locations when I don't have to. I don't mind having one or two alternate backups to Steam like Desura because there is still an actual client and it organizes and updates your games.

The other sites, Gamersgate, Amazon etc. don't. They just shovel out to you the original release and you are on your own for updates.

If someone wants to go through all what I consider to be hassle (it's my opinion, get over it) that's fine. I don't want that. I need a client. It is a dealbreaker for me to not have one.

I have been gaming for a long time and I do remember the days before Steam and having clients to organize your games in one place. I have no desire to go back to that way. If you like it, that's great. Knock yourself out.

I for one will not be buying games from those sources unless they activate on Steam or at least some other client organizing service with updates like Desura.

I wasn't aware that charts and papers and multiple locations are required for a simple list of games outside of Steam. Are you sorting games or balancing a budget? It seems the "No Steam, no sale" crowd comes up with inapplicable, nonsensical hyperbole in the face of differing opinions about Steam. Kind of like putting fingers in your ears and singing lalalala.

I'll break this down simply:

Column A - game
Column B - platform

Now here's the kicker. You can actually...wait for it...sort by each column.

I'm intrigued by the anger coming from Steam loyalists. "Get over it." "Knock yourself out." When did gaming become such serious business? Guy makes a simple suggestion that there is life outside of Steam and the pitchforks come out!

inm8num2: I have messed with dealing with games from multiple sources before and IN MY GOD DAMNED OPINION it's not fun. It's my preference if you don't like it, too bad.

If there wer no Steam and no client for digital download games the result for me would be that I would buy maybe 1% of the amount of games I bought in the last year. Yes, 1%. That is no exaggeration or joke.

The Steam client has, for better or worse, made it convenient enough for me to buy many times more games. Without it I and I suspect others would buy far, far less which in the end is bad for publishers, bad for developers and bad for games.

Again this is my preference. I really don't give a crap what you want, what you like and what you do and would kindly ask you to stop trolling about it.

If you really want to use Steam for these games, just look at the little button at the bottom of your steam window that says add a game. Add that non-steam game to your library yourself and you can have instant access to any game you own.

As an added bonus, you can show off your individual style by broadcasting to the world how hip you are for playing indie!

[quote name='Byakurai']If you really want to use Steam for these games, just look at the little button at the bottom of your steam window that says add a game. Add that non-steam game to your library yourself and you can have instant access to any game you own.

As an added bonus, you can show off your individual style by broadcasting to the world how hip you are for playing indie![/QUOTE]

You don't get updates that way. I have done it for a few games but very rarely as an exception. I don't make it a general rule because I don't want hundreds of games that are getting no updates.

Also, I don't think it announces what game you are playing at all if it is a non Steam game.

[quote name='Motoki']You don't get updates that way. I have done it for a few games but very rarely as an exception. I don't make it a general rule because I don't want hundreds of games that are getting no updates.

Also, I don't think it announces what game you are playing at all if it is a non Steam game.[/QUOTE]

It does still announce. Just when you open up a chat window/friends list, it'll specify that they're "In non-Steam Game" rather than "In Game"

[quote name='Byakurai']It does still announce. Just when you open up a chat window/friends list, it'll specify that they're "In non-Steam Game" rather than "In Game"[/QUOTE]

Not that I care much about the who is playing what feature but that basically announces to the effect of 'Motoki is playing a game'. Vague much?

I suppose some people might think it gives them some counter culture, anti-Steam, anti-popular choice hipster street cred but I can't imagine why someone like that would want to be on Steam in the first place. :p

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']Thanks a million man! I'd been looking for a good free catalog for my music, dvds, and games and this looks like it will fit the bill 100%.[/QUOTE]

Glad to help. I'm always happy to turn new users on to Data Crow. I stumbled across it about a year ago and found it to be easy-to-use and easy on the eyes too.

[quote name='Motoki']inm8num2: I have messed with dealing with games from multiple sources before and IN MY GOD DAMNED OPINION it's not fun. It's my preference if you don't like it, too bad.

If there wer no Steam and no client for digital download games the result for me would be that I would buy maybe 1% of the amount of games I bought in the last year. Yes, 1%. That is no exaggeration or joke.

The Steam client has, for better or worse, made it convenient enough for me to buy many times more games. Without it I and I suspect others would buy far, far less which in the end is bad for publishers, bad for developers and bad for games.

Again this is my preference. I really don't give a crap what you want, what you like and what you do and would kindly ask you to stop trolling about it.[/QUOTE]

I see. Different opinions are considered trolling in your world. And the angry, childish outbursts must be irrational knee-jerk reactions to the inability to cope with other views? And when you have no argument you accuse people of trolling?

You made a post in response to mine with inane and illogical points. I refuted it. If being incorrect about this drives your blood pressure up, I can see why handling games outside of Steam isn't for you.

[quote name='inm8num2']I see. Different opinions are considered trolling in your world. And the angry, childish outbursts must be irrational knee-jerk reactions to the inability to cope with other views? And when you have no argument you accuse people of trolling?

You made a post in response to mine with inane and illogical points. I refuted it. If being incorrect about this drives your blood pressure up, I can see why handling games outside of Steam isn't for you.[/QUOTE]

You're just trying to provoke a response, which clearly I was giving you, and one up someone by trying to win an internet argument with superior logix. :roll:

And opinion is an opinion is an opinion. A preference is a preference is a preference.

Off to my ignore list you go. Find someone else to argue with troll.

bread's done
Back