The industry needs to wake up and lower prices!

Ex~

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Everyone has begun to notice: amid the tumultuous times of economic uncertainty, one segment of the economy is booming: EBgames.

Why? Used games. Everyone wants to save a coupe bucks here, a couple bucks there. Why not buy a used titles for $5 less than a new one, when games cost $60 to begin with?

EBgames is getting rich precisely because gamers are buying more used games.

This, unfortunately, is not good for anyone in the industry. Gamers that used to buy new games and push the industry forward are now funding the coffers of the EBstop megacorp.

What's the answer?

Lower prices! Sales! More deals! Non-standard pricing, regularly release games for less!

Gamers today will line up and down the block if they think they'll get a decent deal. Why let all the benefit go straight to EB's used games division?

Come on, Gaming Industry, you will be yourself and everyone else a disfavor if you fail to capitalize on this opportunity.

well it cost so dam much to make the games...

so........... if $10 less increases sales by 100k thats 1 more mil...
but if they sell 100k less at $60 theyd make the same :)

It is really difficult for companies in the gaming industry to run sales constantly. They will lose money on most products since new games give them only a small amount of profit as it is. EBStop has the luxury of having a good amount of money and publicity, so it is almost impossible for a small business to compete in the used game area since if EBStop saw some competition, they would just crush it by lowering their price and running more promo's than the competition could handle.

If prices were uniformly lower, revenues would simply drop across the board. When games were $50, used prices were $45. When they went up to $60, used prices were $55. People waited for cheaper prices regardless of the initial standard MSRP.

While it's certainly not benefiting every publisher, video game revenues (for NEW items) are still up in the midst of a recession.

seriously guys.... one good meal @ a steakhouse = the cost of hours of entertainment from a game
I know people who've spent more on a car for hobby reasons than I'd ever spend on video games in 10 years.

gaming is cheeeaaap....

well except for me and my nutty inclination to buy a IIDX controller.

Hell, I went out for sushi for 2 and I walked out with a $100 bill. I could get more than a dozen games for that much scratch.
[quote name='Zoglog']seriously guys.... one good meal @ a steakhouse = the cost of hours of entertainment from a game
I know people who've spent more on a car for hobby reasons than I'd ever spend on video games in 10 years.

gaming is cheeeaaap....

well except for me and my nutty inclination to buy a IIDX controller.[/quote]

Something else I dident think of before. Dropping the price of games would be utterly usless. EB games would still sell used games, and they would sell them cheaper than NEW titles, no matter how low the price was dropped

I think most people here would agree that most games are way too expensive, why else would they be on this website?
I do think that $30-$40 would be a much better MSRP for games, I know I would buy a lot more of them on day one if more were in that price range.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I think most people here would agree that most games are way too expensive, why else would they be on this website?
I do think that $30-$40 would be a much better MSRP for games, I know I would buy a lot more of them on day one if more were in that price range.[/QUOTE]

I miss how cheap games used to be, but really with inflation and all that good stuff games aren't really costing more.

At least I don't think so.

yeah I think pricing is decent............I mean, weren't N64 games $60 bucks when they came out? How much were NES games.....can't really remember, cuz I was like 6-7 years old, but I vaguely recall my brother paying $49.99 at Kmart for contra when it first came out.

Lol I get all my games for free from various sites on the internet. The first game I bought in 2 years was Left 4 Dead and that was when it was DOTD on amazon and was like $40 I believe.

Games ARE getting cheaper. In 1986 I paid $50 for Zelda, Metroid and other games which is the equivalent of paying $96 today for them. I don't mind paying the $50-%60 as long as I get my money's worth and the game delivers.

[quote name='javeryh']Games ARE getting cheaper. In 1986 I paid $50 for Zelda, Metroid and other games which is the equivalent of paying $96 today for them. I don't mind paying the $50-%60 as long as I get my money's worth and the game delivers.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. :)

[quote name='Kayden']I'd say that the 50% (90?) of the people on this forum pirating games is a bigger thorn.[/quote]

Would you really put the number that high, at 50% even?

In the 360, PSP, and PC forums, definitely. They are definitely close to Dreamcast levels.
[quote name='pitfallharry219']Would you really put the number that high, at 50% even?[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']In the 360, PSP, and PC forums, definitely. They are definitely close to Dreamcast levels.[/QUOTE]

I'd have to agree, not saying I pirate or anything, but it's damn easy to download anything from, depending on your computer, gamecube and down.

And if you had the right burner, anything from PS3/360.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']I'd probably put the DS on that list as well.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you can get things to put SD cards in and what not..

But..uhh..pirating is wrong..yeah. :roll:

I have no idea how prolific it is. I know there's some kind of flash cart, but I don't know the particulars of it.
[quote name='pitfallharry219']I'd probably put the DS on that list as well.[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']I have no idea how prolific it is. I know there's some kind of flash cart, but I don't know the particulars of it.[/QUOTE]

The flash card is the same size as the DS games and I guess you put in a mini SD card that already has the games/pictures/movies/music on there.

At least that's what I think, not that I would actually know. :p

Does nobody remember when games like FFIII and Chrono Trigger were $100.00 EACH when they came out?

Games are much cheaper right now.

I'd also like to add that games in the US are more cheap than they are in Japan (Esp with the exchange rate now) or Europe.

[quote name='xistence']Does nobody remember when games like FFIII and Chrono Trigger were $100.00 EACH when they came out?

Games are much cheaper right now.[/quote]Physically, ROM chips cost much more than a CD or DVD. Pressing an optical disc is literally pennies.

The flip side is that modern games have much higher development costs due to 3D engines, voice acting, etc.

I think Wombat had the right of it in the latest CAGcast: depending on the game, $60 is unquestionably "worth it," according to individual taste. He used Fallout 3 as his example. I feel the same about Oblivion. Though I bought the GOTY edition for $30, it would still have been a "good game value" for me at $60.

At any rate, game prices always come down and used copies can be had for very cheap, so only "early adopters" of a game have to pay "full price" anyway.

[quote name='Kayden']In the 360, PSP, and PC forums, definitely. They are definitely close to Dreamcast levels.[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt that could be the case, as I wasn't even aware you could pirate games on the 360. I have seen tons of pirating in person on the DS.

[quote name='Ex~']I highly doubt that could be the case, as I wasn't even aware you could pirate games on the 360. I have seen tons of pirating in person on the DS.[/quote]

As far as I know, right now the PS3 is the only system that has virtually no piracy scene. The Wii is even being hacked quite a bit these days.

360 piracy is everywhere right now. I'm shocked that you had no idea about it. Check a few gamertag cards on this site, and I'm sure you'll find at least one that has been playing games that aren't even out yet.

50%? No. The pirates just happen to be more of our vocal and prominent members, like zewone.

In regards to the 360 boards though. The PSP board is probably about 80 percent, and the PC board is up there, too.

[quote name='Kayden']Hell, I went out for sushi for 2 and I walked out with a $100 bill. I could get more than a dozen games for that much scratch.[/quote]

Who are you dating, Shamu?

[quote name='pitfallharry219']As far as I know, right now the PS3 is the only system that has virtually no piracy scene. The Wii is even being hacked quite a bit these days.

360 piracy is everywhere right now. I'm shocked that you had no idea about it. Check a few gamertag cards on this site, and I'm sure you'll find at least one that has been playing games that aren't even out yet.[/QUOTE]

And this is possible without hardware modification?

Actually, I suppose I'm getting a bit too nitty gritty here for a forum like this.

Buying a game for $60 plus tax is crazy. Prices need to go back to $49.99 MSRP for new releases. I wait until games hit $29.99 to buy them, unless it's a game I have to have then I'll buy it for $39.99

:lol: She was 5 foot flat and 90lbs soaking wet. Suishi is just ridiculously expensive. The $7 drinks didn't help. :wall:

[quote name='camoor']Who are you dating, Shamu?[/quote]

All you have to do is take out the optical drive and flash the firmware. However, I think there's great potential for having your console banned from XBL. I don't use XBL and even I don't have a cracked console. Updates tend to brick them. 360's don't need help dying.

[quote name='Ex~']And this is possible without hardware modification?

Actually, I suppose I'm getting a bit too nitty gritty here for a forum like this.[/quote]

Gaming is pretty cheap, especially if you make use of this site, Goozex (or other trading sites) etc.

It's definitely a good value from a cost per hour of entertainment standpoint.

Though those calculations always depend on how much you enjoy games relative to other things. Sure it's cheaper per hour than movies, or a nice meal in a 5 start restaurant etc., but that doesn't matter much if someone enjoys those things more than gaming. Games are one of the few things I'm a cheap ass with.

It's very funny to see that people Embrace Gamestop/EBgames. And say "Lower Prices!"

Irony really, they are always the MOST expensive, except for Used games!

IF Used is your cup of tea...

Me? No, I rather have it NEW!

Then again, look on Amazon.com, you probably can find a used game cheaper on Amazon.com. Or even a NEW copy, just about as much!

Unless you mind waiting a week.

That's for Buying...

As for selling, Hell, GS/EB is even MORE of a RIPOFF, you can almost always sell more on Amazon.com, than trade to these places!

You are RIGHT that price need to be lowered, but supporting GameStop/EB is the WRONG approach!

bitch about GS/EB all you want but they're profitable w/ good growth (more than you can say about many companies these days).

If you don't like their practices, don't shop there. However they obviously are doing something right to attract the mainstream consumer or else nobody would be going there. Bashing on Gamestop is the most cliche/pointless/pathetic thing that gamers constantly do.

It's NOT they are doing something right, it's cuz a lot Consumers are stupid/lazy, and think GS is the GOD of Video game stores... they worship it, but DON'T know Alternatives.

If they (like me) look on Amazon.com, there is almost always a better deal than at GS/EB!

I was at GS a couple days ago, and saw a guy trade a PSP in, and all he got was $20 back!

Which GS will then sell for $60-$100, whatever they sell used PSP for.

Comon, you bought that for what? $200, and sold it for just $20?

IT's NOT THAT SMART!!!

If I were him, I rather keep the PSP than trade it, man!

Then, I WORK HARD to make more money, if money is an issue.

Otherwise, Amazon is where I will sell it!

A lot of Gamestop Loyalists doesn't seem to understand there are BETTER alternatives, almost everywhere else! Once they look at these Alternatives More, I can't see how they still think Gamestop rocks?

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading this...all I could think about is being 11 years old and saving all my birthday and Christmas money to buy F-Zero new on the SNES for $70

[quote name='Zoglog']bitch about GS/EB all you want but they're profitable w/ good growth (more than you can say about many companies these days).

If you don't like their practices, don't shop there. However they obviously are doing something right to attract the mainstream consumer or else nobody would be going there. Bashing on Gamestop is the most cliche/pointless/pathetic thing that gamers constantly do.[/quote]

The only thing they did right is get a monopaly on mainsteam gamming, If you want to get a game that hasen't been released in the last 1-2 years you really have no choice other than gamestop, because other major retailers probally wont have it. The only store that could ever really compete with gamestop was EBgames, and we all know what happened there. Sure there are the ocasional Pivately owned stores, but they really can't afford offter competitive rates.

Ebay? Amazon? GameCrazy? GameRush?

[quote name='kurokubushi']The only thing they did right is get a monopaly on mainsteam gamming, If you want to get a game that hasen't been released in the last 1-2 years you really have no choice other than gamestop, because other major retailers probally wont have it. The only store that could ever really compete with gamestop was EBgames, and we all know what happened there. Sure there are the ocasional Pivately owned stores, but they really can't afford offter competitive rates.[/quote]

[quote name='Kayden']Ebay? Amazon? GameCrazy? GameRush?[/quote}]

Eaby and amazon are online so dont count, I refering to STORES, game crazy and Game Rush may be franchise but still fall into the category of not being able to compete with Gamestop, they are no where near as large. I have never seen either of those stores.

Personally I'd be more willing to pay more for better quality games. You can get your games 15% cheaper right off the top if you're willing to play them on the Wii. No thanks!!!

[quote name='SuperJedi']It's NOT they are doing something right, it's cuz a lot Consumers are stupid/lazy, and think GS is the GOD of Video game stores... they worship it, but DON'T know Alternatives.

If they (like me) look on Amazon.com, there is almost always a better deal than at GS/EB!

I was at GS a couple days ago, and saw a guy trade a PSP in, and all he got was $20 back!

Which GS will then sell for $60-$100, whatever they sell used PSP for.

Comon, you bought that for what? $200, and sold it for just $20?

IT's NOT THAT SMART!!!

If I were him, I rather keep the PSP than trade it, man!

Then, I WORK HARD to make more money, if money is an issue.

Otherwise, Amazon is where I will sell it!

A lot of Gamestop Loyalists doesn't seem to understand there are BETTER alternatives, almost everywhere else! Once they look at these Alternatives More, I can't see how they still think Gamestop rocks?[/quote]

Be glad that there are so many people who worship gamestop though, it gives both you and me a better chance at getting great deals elsewhere. Imagine if all of the people who do most of their game shopping at gamestop found out the deals that many of us get here. There would be a huge jump in traffic to all of the sites and alternate stores we do our shopping at, and we'd miss out on most if not all of the deals.

I'm not a huge fan of gamestop, but I don't mind going to the store either. When I do go, I always have something specific I am looking for, and I always bring coupon/use my edge coupons. The funny this about gamestop is that I often know more about what is going on in their stores and with gaming in general than they do. I had to walk an employee through processing a coupon and edge card today, how sad.

[quote name='kurokubushi'][quote name='Kayden']Ebay? Amazon? GameCrazy? GameRush?[/quote]

Eaby and amazon are online so dont count, I refering to STORES, game crazy and Game Rush may be franchise but still fall into the category of not being able to compete with Gamestop, they are no where near as large. I have never seen either of those stores.[/quote]

In that case, you can throw in other retailers that end up selling games into the equation. K-Mart, Target, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Sears, for the majors. To a lesser extent you can also throw in your Meijers, Hastings, and other stores as well.

And, honestly, most would consider Amazon to be of great import regardless of it being an online entity. Considering that over the past few years they have created entire gaming divisions not only in their US branch but in their overseas counterparts (particularly Japan)...Amazon themselves certainly see themselves as being competition towards everyone else. ;)

bread's done
Back