The Interview (2014): BR/DVD release 2/17/15, NETFLIX This weekend!

What is interesting is our government's response of this.

It's not as strong as it should be and it's pretty much a response that the public wants. If NK disabled our power grid even for 15 minutes, most likely we would declare it as an act of war and send in our big guns to teach them a lesson.
Why would the feds give shit? Sony is a JAPANESE company and everything being leaked doesn't hurt the US at all. This is just a PR/production nightmare because of all the shit-talking from Sony execs.

I don't know what specifically you're referring to with those last comments but there are issues with police and veterans so I can understand the hate, especially toward the pigs.
Liberals hate everything that they are against. Example, if a Liberal says the sky is green and you disagree, they will jump up and down, screaming that you are a hater, a racist, and part of the problem, even if you have proof that they are wrong.

Why would the feds give shit? Sony is a JAPANESE company and everything being leaked doesn't hurt the US at all. This is just a PR/production nightmare because of all the shit-talking from Sony execs.
I wonder if they regret any of those emails now.

Obama's comments/response is what I was talking about. Should they have made any statement? Yes we know Sony is a Japanese company....the point is why should our government respond at all to this.... I haven't heard back from the media about the Japanese government preparing for war!

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/394721-breaking-the-interview-will-be-shown-on-christmas-day

two possible outcomes for this movie....

1. Some people go see it (the loyal movie goers) and it is a box office bomb making just enough to cover the cost of the movie.

or

2. It makes MORE money than anything released this month alone, surprising Sony, JF/SR fans, and NK.
3. It's released on VOD and makes a killing and breaks records for VOD rentals.

The amount of publicity the movie was getting before the canceled Christmas release was already huge and after the fact it's been all over the place. James Franco and Seth Rogan usually produce pretty good box office numbers as well. I hope they release it on VOD sooner rather than later though because I would like to see it and would actually prefer VOD to going to the theater.

A victory for democracy, a loss for the consumer.  Now folks are going to have the ability to watch this likely shitpile of a movie, and Seth Rogan and James Franco will continue to crap out films.

A victory for democracy, a loss for the consumer. Now folks are going to have the ability to watch this likely shitpile of a movie, and Seth Rogan and James Franco will continue to crap out films.
You must go to Rogan/Franco movies sober. You are doing it wrong, my friend. Those movies are only enjoyable if you are under the influence.

I think The Interview will be a decent, but stupid comedy. Typical for these guys and I know it will be better than that train-wreck that was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles this year.

I'm happy to see it's coming out, sucks that it's limited, but I'll be happy to see it. I'm not expecting much from it, because it's probably going to be a dumb film, but maybe a fun/dumb film. 

So smaller independent theaters are getting to show it starting tomorrow...while the big boys still *afraid* in showing this movie..... well I just bought my tickets for the Alamo showing on Sunday.

Anyone think this is a stupid PR stunt by Sony?

So smaller independent theaters are getting to show it starting tomorrow...while the big boys still *afraid* in showing this movie..... well I just bought my tickets for the Alamo showing on Sunday.

Anyone think this is a stupid PR stunt by Sony?
It would be a real stupid PR stunt. They will never make up the cost of the film and marketing by showing it at a couple of small independent theaters. I'd like to go see this as I have said before, but I'll have to wait for VOD because only theaters around me either aren't showing it or are the larger chains like Regal and AMC.

Well it isn't the worse movie ever release by them, nor it is the most expensive worse movie.   However this movie wasn't going to a holiday block buster... I mean it would have done well...but because of this how hacking situation, look at all the free publicity this movie is getting by most of the media channels.  People are just stupid to be "Glad it wasn't being shown in the theater after the threats..."  There is a higher chance of a lone gunmen going into any movie theater and shooting people up.  Having extra security isn't going to stop the first shots from being fired...  If it happens, it happens.

The only thing I can think of that would really erk me about this movie if it goes all out gross or if the ending is *toned down* so much that it makes it so weak..  As long as the jokes are in good taste and we have a good time, then fine great I am happy to pay the extra for the tickets and food.  If Sony is allowing for Alamo to show the movie, then there is no way in hell they could have had time to edit or cut out things to make it less offensive.  Hopefully there will be a steelbook unrated edition.

As for VOD with theater release.... theaters hate that because they loose so much which I understand. 

I say next weekend is when AMC/Regal decides to show it.  They will still make a profit because of there wider net on the market.  It might as well become a sleeper hit.

I wanna go watch it as a big fuck you to North Korea. Its playing at a shitty theater here in my town. But i don't want to pay to watch it.

I like the posters for the movie...

The_Interview_2014_poster.jpg

reminds me of this..

Untitled-1+copy.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanna go watch it as a big fuck you to North Korea. Its playing at a shitty theater here in my town. But i don't want to pay to watch it.
I kinda wanna cancel my tickets now that it will be cheaper to watch it at home then just paying 25.50 for the tickets + food at the alamo.

Wow...you got a point Playstation=Sony. You would think their gaming platform would get it first... Looks like youtube, google and xb live is getting it. Netflix could never get it in time.
It looks like Netflix will get it but not for a few more days. I would watch it for "free" on Netflix.

It looks like Netflix will get it but not for a few more days. I would watch it for "free" on Netflix.
wait what? Seriously???? That would be a profit loss to put it on netflix... The cheapest is 7.99/8.99 a month to watch anything in their catalog as much as you want no limits. If it is on netflix, everyone will sign up for the 2 weeks free membership then cancel after they watch the movie.

Where did you see that Netflix is getting soon? That makes zero sense right now, I'm thinking about renting it on Xbox Live myself, I'm actually glad I can save like $25 seeing it instead of going to the theater.

I think what would be hilarious is if the movie was good. Seth Rogan and James Franco are the modern day Laurel and Hardy if L&H required you to be stoned, an aborted fetus, or the recent recipient of a lobotomy to enjoy them.

The only way I could care about this movie less, is if it was called Fast and the Furious 18, and starred Martin Lawrence and the corpse of Joan Rivers as his love interest. I'm not saying Seth and James aren't talented, it's just that they make such massive pile of crap movies that I'd rather bathe in the Ganges with a million open wounds.

Like, if somebody actually ate an entire plate of human turd, then waited until they defecated, and then wrote a screenplay out of that processed human feces, I think Sony could release it and call it The Interview. But I wish both of them well, they're good guys

I think what would be hilarious is if the movie was good. Seth Rogan and James Franco are the modern day Laurel and Hardy if L&H required you to be stoned, an aborted fetus, or the recent recipient of a lobotomy to enjoy them.

The only way I could care about this movie less, is if it was called Fast and the Furious 18, and starred Martin Lawrence and the corpse of Joan Rivers as his love interest. I'm not saying Seth and James aren't talented, it's just that they make such massive pile of crap movies that I'd rather bathe in the Ganges with a million open wounds.

Like, if somebody actually ate an entire plate of human turd, then waited until they defecated, and then wrote a screenplay out of that processed human feces, I think Sony could release it and call it The Interview. But I wish both of them well, they're good guys
You said everything I could possibly say about this movie.

Thanks.

So I have been talking to a few of my friends who went ahead an saw it on XB Live.....  they said

It's worth a rental....very gorey and violent... James Franco is a dick... tries to be funny here and there and the ending just was gruesome for a comedy.... Worth seeing in the theaters...No.... Worth renting ..Yes

I am going to see if I can cancel my Alamo tickets...

ok came back from seeing it at the Alamo...here are some thoughts.

There was so really weird music video between JF and SR that made no sense what so ever.

The Alamo played some weird Korean videos.

They played that SNL sketch with Dr. Evil....seen it already.

SR and the director had a special message made just for the Alamo audience.

It was an "OK" comedy

JF's character was a dick

The effects where Dave and company fires the shell at Kim's chopper was really cool.  However, after reading some of the sony email exchanges, you can really tell that a lot of it was toned down for the final cut.  There was wording about head exploding, yes you see it but barely as most of the flames cover it up.   An unrated edition should show the original gruesome footage.

Towards the end there are some bloody parts ...what my friend described as "if Quentin Tarantino made a comedy, this would be it..."

You kind of feel sorry/understand Kim in this movie.

Going to see this movie wasn't for Patriotism, more of like "I was going to see it anyways...."...  anyone thinking it was their "American duty" to go see this movie is a fucking idiot.

Overall it was an ok movie, worth a rental.... luckily I had a buy one get one free movie ticket.  There was some bits here and there that were funny but not as good as any other comedy this year.

To be totally honest...... the theater chains over reacted big time on this one, giving the smaller independent chains a chance.

I see this movie showing up sometime in another week at AMC/Regal and other chains.

I wonder if this will change how movies are seen from now on. Making it available on Demand and in theaters is pretty big, even though this has been going on for indie films for a while now, but a major release (or was a major release) should push for this sort of thing to happen more often. 

Hard to say. If this was a big movie like Spiderman, Captain America, Godzilla, etc...no way would the studios allow this to be shown via VOD. They would lose so much money to piracy and ticket lost due to the low one time rental. You know how many people would rather pay 6 bucks and have 4 or 5 people come over then to pay 12 dollars each? Not to mention what would stop sports bars from showing the movie and rake in the profiles from food and drink sales. Those who are still "loyal" to movie theaters would still go but no way in hell would the studio recover the marketing and production costs making it a "failure" even if it was a hit on VOD.

Sony was pretty much, "we will let this one slip for now..." ... How long will this movie be on VOD is unknown. Will Regal/AMC even put it out now that pretty much most people have seen it? I won't see it again as it was an ok movie. I doubt they will consider it will probably not make much. And if they don't put it out at all, Sony will have to move quickly to start producing the BR/DVD's in the hopes of recovering cost some how.

Give it another 2 weeks and see what happens.

I wonder if this will change how movies are seen from now on. Making it available on Demand and in theaters is pretty big, even though this has been going on for indie films for a while now, but a major release (or was a major release) should push for this sort of thing to happen more often.

http://www.comingsoon.net/dvd/news/399615-the-interview-blu-ray-arrives-february-17

so in about a month we are getting the BR/DVD release... Doesn't look like the disc will contain an extended edition with the original material/grumsomeness of Kim's death scene as mentioned in the leaked emails.  According to BOM it's only made almost 6 million dollars.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=interview2014.htm

Honestly without an extended edition is it really worth buying it on BR?  Home video sales are not going to help get it close to production cost of 44 million, making it a really failure.  :( 

bread's done
Back