The "It Begins" Chris Jericho Returns Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRock88

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
We've been waiting months and months for it and he finally came back this past Monday. After all the hype and tweets about denying it, this took me several hours to compile everything into one nice post that lead up to his return.

y2j_chris_jericho_returns_wwe_raw_jan%20_2012_1.jpg

I posted it in the last thread, but here it is again in case you missed it:

@jrsbbq - @Goldberg vs Lesnar at WM29 would be miraculous ie HIGHLY UNLIKELY.

@goldberg - @jrsbbq ......I'd do it

@jrsbbq - Lets the conjecture begin. Goldberg's willing to fight Brock in WWE someday. RT @Goldberg: @JRsBBQ ......I'd do it

@goldberg - Guess I should think before I speak next time.......

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQnM1aIRh9E

This song showed up on my iPod today, figured I'd share the boys from brutalsville with you all.[/QUOTE]

Sadly, after watching that it made me realize something. Mick Foley is a man we hold in such a high regard as a hardcore wrestling Icon/God due to his willingness to put his body through the things he did just to entertain us from the early 90's to mid 2000's. However, if he was to come out on the scene in the last 2 years and attempt to do the same things, he would be no more than an Indy sensation/attraction at best. He would probably not even make it to the ranks of TNA at best. This is the best example I can think of to show you just how "vanilla" the wrestling product has become over the past 5 or so years now.

IOW, he'd be Necro Butcher.

There's perhaps some validity to that, but Foley also did more than simply garbage wrestling (he was no mat technician, mind) to get over. He's a very charming and warm person when given the opportunity. I think that's in part why people liked him.

But even Butcher rationalizes his lot in life. A video I watched months ago featured him talking about all the hell he puts his body through, and he sums it up by saying (paraphrasing) that he grew up a poor, dumb West Virginia hillbilly. His only lot in life was to work at the sawmill and beat up his body for next to no money (if you've ever been in a sawmill you know how highly dangerous they are); so getting cut up while making more money and traveling the world is, to him, a better lifestyle choice.

I'm glad to see less and less of that style of wrestling, to be honest - and while PWTorch wants to get on its pretentious, know-nothing high horse about chair shots to the head, Steen/Corino was a great match in part due to its brutality, but the relative lack of brutality we've seen all across wrestling in recent years. It made that match stand out - you got the feeling that there was *truly* something on the line in that match.

I don't think we have a choice between "vanilla" and "bleeding all over creation" wrestling. The biggest problem is that WWE and TNA matches mean nothing at all week to week, and there's nothing to get invested in week to week. The six-man main event of Raw last week? A vehicle for a storyline between Kane and Cena, the wrestling itself is irrelevant. The main event 3 weeks ago when I went? Another six-man match that was just feel-good wrestling, nothing on the line, nothing of urgence, no real result to derive. Compare that with Cena/Punk from MITB, which was not vanilla wrestling and certainly wasn't garbage wrestling. WWE and TNA's greatest problem is the need to keep matches short to accommodate TV time (or, from another perspective, their insistence that big, long, rock n' roll entrances and 15 minute talking segments are better ratings-wise), so the matches suffer from a viewer inability to see the match develop, progress, ebb and flow, and deliver an important finish.

I don't think he would be another Necro butcher, mainly for the facts you pointed out. What really made Mick into the star he became was his personality and persistance. Shit, I remember watching him wayyyy back in WCW during his weird ass Captain Jack storyline. I didn't get wtf was going on because honestly that storyline made shit for sense, but the guy had appeal to him. Hell, i remember his feud with Sting, and that was some good ass wrestling. It was about bleeding either with him back then. It was just about being a crazy bastard with charisma and it worked for him.

Do I want to see people damn near killing themselves like the Foley/Funk match from Japan? Shit no. I honestly think if that match had been with any other 2 people someone would have ended up severely injured. What I do want to see though is more at risk in some of these matches. Remember when Jimmy Garvin fought against Kevin Sullivan on a weekly basis for nearly a year to keep Babydoll safe? Remember the Rock fighting to stay out of the Nation of Domination for a couple of months? Sounds like Cena v Nexus right? Except they got it right with Rocky. Once he lost he joined, reluctantly, but eventually took over the leadership of the group. Guess WWE didn't wanna recycle that type of deal for Cena......

Maybe being a child of the 80's and watching wrasslin back in the day of 3 tv channels has me jaded. It really seems like the problem is the product is oversaturated. I remember there were maybe at most 10 ppv's a year, and that was combined between WCW and WWF. They had to actually build up storylines to get people interested enough to buy a ppv. Months of prep went into this stuff, not this 1 hour before the show bullshit. Clash of Champions, a roughly 3 time a year show which amounted to basicly a free PPV style program on basic cable made you think that if this is what you would get for free... you could only imagine what you get if you paid for it!

Points well made - which is ironic since Clash, from my recollection of watching them live, almost always seemed to feature a schmozz finish (count-out, double-dq, something unsatisfying and nothing resolved) - which, again as you point out, was to get you to order the PPV instead.

On another tangent, good goddamn was Vader's early WCW match quality astonishing.

Some people seem to think that it was easier in decades past because, despite the programming being all over the place, most of the shows were jobber matches and low-level name matches (e.g., Brad Armstrong vs. Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker) - today we're accustomed to the fact that every match must be a 'marquee' match, and that matches featuring 'enhancement talent' are a thing of the past. I think that's an old way of thinking, and slightly uncreative on the part of wrestling promotions. Too little has changed and too much is stale the way wrestling is written, produced and presented today, and I think that harms interest and viability of the product more than anything. Wrestling needs a paradigm shift of sorts (and no, it's not ROH).

CBS has hired Charlie Rose to host the first hour of its new morning show (to combat Today and Good Morning America). I think there's something very appealing and very risky about that maneuver. It might backfire on them because the mass public wants news on Snooki, not the kind of intellectual analysis of "real news" that Rose will likely provide. But it also shows that CBS knows they could not compete with Today and GMA by trying to *be* Today and GMA. I think there's a lesson in there (even if we don't know the outcome - Rose starts his hosting gig Monday at 7AM).

Vader was one of the first real "scary guys" in my "wrasslin" exposure. The guy was friggin huge, could move like a lightweight, and totally destroyed people. That helmet he had was also very awesome and added to his evil aura. I think honestly the first 20-30 matches i saw of his were jobber matches, but those built up his credibility as a guy who could kill someone in that ring and made you not want your hero to have to face him. The only other character in "recent" memory that had that type of build was Goldberg.
Jobber matches have a place, and honestly, are sometimes quite enjoyable. Sometimes after seeing that same guy who has lost 1000 matches in the past, you sort of pull for him to finally steal one, and when he does, it doesn't hurt the guy he got over on. Usually it helps to build some sort of ongiong feud with another talent. You never see that anymore, and I am sorry, Santino Morella does not count.

Every match doesn't have to be a main event, but every match should be used to accomplish something. Showcase a newer talent, show a guy trying to rebuild from falling from grace, something, anything, just not the usual "we dont know what to put inbetween these 15 minute twitter advertisements so lets do a squash match for "X" sooperstar.

Meh, fuckit. We all know shit isn't gonna change, and us sittin here reminiscing of the good old days makes us look like the grumpy old men sitting on the porch bitchen at the kids to stay off our lawn. The kids want Cena, and until they choke to death on him thats what we are gonna get.

Vader was scary in every incarnation he's ever been in barring that unfortunate WWF run in the mid 90s. Shoulda stayed in WCW but with Hogan there, I think Vader might've known that he'd never get the props he deserved.

In Firepro he was the ultimate wildcard. If you let him get you to the point where he could deliver any of the higher-level moves to you, he could send you to the hospital in a heartbeat.

[quote name='Halo05']Vader was scary in every incarnation he's ever been in barring that unfortunate WWF run in the mid 90s. Shoulda stayed in WCW but with Hogan there, I think Vader might've known that he'd never get the props he deserved.

In Firepro he was the ultimate wildcard. If you let him get you to the point where he could deliver any of the higher-level moves to you, he could send you to the hospital in a heartbeat.[/QUOTE]

Plus this moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXuZMHaWvoo

[quote name='Halo05']Vader was scary in every incarnation he's ever been in barring that unfortunate WWF run in the mid 90s. Shoulda stayed in WCW but with Hogan there, I think Vader might've known that he'd never get the props he deserved.

[/QUOTE]

But Vader was on Boy Meets World during that time.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']For those of you who may have been wondering what Batista has been up to since leaving the WWE and wrestling in general, I present the answer:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1781896/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rld-6rRDb-k[/QUOTE]

Are you just trying to troll us with this useless garbage or what? Maybe instead of showing this horrendous horseshit you can google us the spoilers for the upcoming Raw since you seemed to be able to do it last week.

[quote name='TheRock88']
084.JPG

Looks like his jacket isnt the only thing that lights up.[/QUOTE]

Hey an actual Lion Tamer too!

[quote name='TheRock88']
084.JPG

Looks like his jacket isnt the only thing that lights up.[/QUOTE]

Where is his identity disc at? :D
I want to know who he has in the walls. I'm guessing it's Michael Cole, but I want it to be Justin Roberts.

- Chris Jericho appeared at Saturday night's WWE RAW live event in Tyler, Texas. He came to the ring but was quickly interrupted by David Otunga before he could even say a word on the microphone.

Otunga demanded that Jericho take off his jacket because it was causing seizures. Otunga got into Jericho's face and the segment ended with Jericho putting Otunga in the Walls of Jericho before making his exit.

Still didn't talk :D

is it me or they trying to turn the big show back to a heel. the comments on wwe site after he lost again to bryant this week seems to lead me that way.

Shaq thing? Is this something for WM? If so, then TBS has officially become the WWE's sideshow attraction. The sumo match, Floyd Mayweather and now this (if it happens).

Triple H's WWE 12 storyline is scary accurate - he tears his quad and buries young talent - even when the odds are 3 on 1.

[quote name='diddy310']Triple H's WWE 12 storyline is scary accurate - he tears his quad and buries young talent - even when the odds are 3 on 1.[/QUOTE]

*sigh* I just started his storyline.

It's cool, I was probably going to give up and enter the cheat to unlock everything anyway.

[quote name='ced']Otunga took a Liontamer or at least a higher angle Walls.[/QUOTE]
I was thinking the same thing - Jericho is kneeling with all of the pressure on Otunga's face. Good stuff.

I think that any Boston Crab-esque maneuver done by Jericho is named based more on the era than any sort of angle change in the hold. It's just that Liontamer wouldn't have worked in WWE back when he debuted because he never wrestled as "The Liontamer" in WWE.

I need to catch some wrestling soon, I want to see Jericho's mute stuff for myself within the proper context. On here it sounds pretty entertaining.

[quote name='JJSP']I was thinking the same thing - Jericho is kneeling with all of the pressure on Otunga's face. Good stuff.[/QUOTE]

I always thought Otunga was the type to take it in the face.

Jeff Hardy wrestles Bobby Roode for 20 minutes. Roode then kicks the ref in the dick, gets the DQ, and the PPV ends just like that.

There's a reason not even wrestling fans talk about TNA anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back