The Last Days of the Hastings / GoHastings Universe - Check the latest posts!

kodave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION IN THIS THREAD, READ THE FAQ BELOW!

GoHastings.Com Promotional Deals and Codes

AMARILLO, Texas - Texas-based Hastings Entertainment Inc. has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Company officials say the reorganization filing includes its parent company, Draw Another Circle, and sister brands Movie Stop and SPImages.

A statement posted Monday on the Hastings website says the Chapter 11 process will help prepare the business for an intended sale, while providing protections and financing to continue operations. Further financial details weren’t released.

Hastings will no longer accept or honor deposits for movie purchases and will no longer rent games. Hastings gift cards expire July 13, 2016. The company’s buyback program has been suspended.
Full List Of Online Coupon Codes

In-Store Sales / Discounts / Liquidation will vary from Online Sale / Coupon offerings

Check latest posts in thread for more specific updates

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Please read me before posting a question!

Click the "Show Spoiler" button below to see the FAQ
General
Question: What is Hastings / GoHastings.Com?
Answer:
Founded in 1968, Hastings Entertainment, Inc. is a leading multimedia entertainment retailer that combines the sale of new and used books, videos, video games and CDs, and trends and consumer electronics merchandise, with the rental of videos and video games in a superstore format. Currently there are 146 superstores. Hastings also operates www.goHastings.com, an e-commerce Internet Web site that makes available to customers new and used entertainment products and unique, contemporary gifts and toys.

Question: Gee, this is a really long FAQ. Doesn't Hasting have their own FAQ for customers?
Answer:
Hastings does have their own FAQ. You can read Hastings' official FAQ by clicking here. However, this FAQ goes into many details that Hastings' own FAQ does not. So be sure to read through all of this before asking a question!

NEW!
Question: How can I filter and sort Used Video Games to remove the out of stock items?
Answer:
Find the "Stock" dropdown menu option when browsing the used game selection and choose "In Stock." Games that have been purchased in the past day and are now out of stock may still appear.

NEW!
Question: Where can I find clearance video games and other clearance items?
Answer:
Clearance Video Games are in New condition; Plus $2.28 shipping per game
Click Here For Overall Video Game Clearance Items > Sort by Platform on the drop down menu
Click Here For Overall Clearance Items

Game / Item Condition
Question: What is the difference between "used" and "previously viewed" items on GoHastings.Com?
Answer:
"Used" games and movies are items that have been traded in to a Hastings retail location by a customer. "Previously viewed" games and movies are items that Hastings has rented out to customers at their retail locations but are now selling to the public.

When it comes to video games, most CAGs report no real difference between the two other than some ancillary stickers, but both "used" and "previously viewed" games are subject to being scratched, abused, or incomplete depending how well it was previously taken care of.

When it comes to movies, the "Previously Viewed" rental versions often lack features from the full retail versions and may come in different boxes, have different UPCs, have white barcode stickers around the center ring of the disc, etc.

You may encounter a situation where a customer has purchased a "previously used" item from Hastings, then traded it back into Hastings, thus making it a "used" item. This practiced is frowned upon by most customers, but Hastings has shown next to no incentive to change it. It mostly happens with movies.

Question: Do used and previously viewed video games come complete with the original case and manual?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com states as follows:

Due to the nature of used products; booklet inserts, digital movie downloads and manuals are not guaranteed in our used video games, movies and CDs.
However, the vast majority of CAGs have reported that a large majority of their games do arrive complete. Incomplete games are more of an exception rather than the rule.

Question: Are used collector's editions and limited editions of games guaranteed to come with extras like bonus discs, statutes, and other items?
Answer:
No. Hopefully the used CE and LE games would at least come with all of the discs, but this is not guaranteed. And there is absolutely no guarantee other physical items or "swag" will be included for these used copies. However, CAGs have reported that they have purchased used CE and LE games and received all of the extras. If you order a used CE or LE and it does not come with the extras, just contact customer service and ask about a return/refund.

Question: What condition do "used" and "previously viewed" discs come in?
Answer:
Mosts CAGs seem to get games in good, playable condition if not better. However, there have been cases of receiving a game so scratched up that it would not load/play. These games can be returned to GoHastings.Com at no cost to the customer for a full refund.

NEW!
Question: Are New condition games factory sealed or gutted and re-sealed?
Answer:
As of mid-2013, Hastings retail stores have adopted a policy of gutting games then storing the game discs, manuals and DLC papers separately. This is so they do not have to lock up games or put security cases on games yet still allow the customer to physically handle the boxes in-store. When a new game is sold, Hasting will either re-seal the game or they will place the game in a bag that cannot be opened if you want to return the game as new.

Shipping
Question: Why are my items shipping individually? Why does GoHastings.Com include a shipping charge for each individual item ordered?
Answer:
Hastings does not have warehouses for fulfilling internet orders. All items are shipped from individual brick and mortar retail stores. If your order contains multiple items, your order may ship from multiple locations at different times if one location does not have all of the items you ordered. Because items could ship from more than one location, GoHastings.Com charges a per item shipping fee. Yes this can be frustrating, so its best to either get over it if you intend to shop at GoHastings.Com, or if you can't get over it, shop elsewhere. Like all "deals," include the shipping price per item into consideration for the total cost of the game being purchased.

UPDATED!
Question: How much is shipping per item?
Answer:
Video Games and PC software ship for $2.28 per item.

CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays ship for $1.29 per item.

Books have a per-order charge of $3.00 plus $0.99 shipping per book ordered.

Game Hardware, Electronics and Trends have a per-order charge of $1.99 plus $0.10 shipping per ounce for each item ordered.

Full shipping information, including expedited shipping prices, can be found HERE.

Occasionally, GoHastings.Com offers free or reduced shipping promotions.

Please note, books used to ship for $0.96 per order with no per item charge but Hastings discontinued that pricing scheme as of January 10, 2014. CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays used to ship for $0.96 per item, but Hastings raised that price to the current cost as of approximately May 25, 2014.

Question: How long does it take GoHastings.Com to ship my order?
Answer:
Standard Shipping:
Order processed within 48 Hours
Shipping time is 3-10 Days

Priority / Expedited Mail:
Order processed within 48 Hours
Shipping time is 2 - 3 Days

Question: What service does GoHastings.Com use to ship items?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com primarily ships items using the United States Postal Service (USPS). Video games ship via USPS First Class Mail. Books, movies and music ship via USPS Media Mail. Larger orders may ship via UPS.

Question: Will GoHastings.Com give me a tracking number for each shipment?
Answer:
Every shipment usually has a tracking number associated with it. If you did not see a tracking number in the shipping confirmation email, check your order history on GoHastings.Com.

Question: What will GoHastings.Com ship my items in?
Answer:
It will vary. Hastings might use a yellow paper mailer with bubble padding on the inside. They might use a white plastic envelope with bubble padding on the inside. They might use a stiffer paper/lighter cardboard envelope with no padding. Hastings will try to jam as many items into any of the above envelope options as possible, resulting in frequently damaged books, broken game/movie/CD cases, etc. On rare occasions, someone at Hastings will have the common sense to put larger or heavier items into a box for safer shipping, but even then they will neglect to use padding. Hastings used to ship items in a white plastic poly-bag with absolutely no padding or protection, but after numerous complaints, the company claims these are supposed to be phased out and no longer in use. They still pop up from time to time.

Order Cancellations / Out Of Stock Items
Question: Why was an item cancelled out of my order? Why is that item back in stock right now?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com fills their stock from their Hastings brick and mortar retail locations. Additionally, GoHastings.Com sells items on Amazon and eBay. Their online inventory system is antiquated and does not update stock instantaneously across physical store locations, GoHastings.Com, Amazon, and eBay. Therefore if someone bought the same item first in store/on Amazon/on eBay, their order will be fulfilled first and your item will be cancelled if there is not enough inventory to go around, even though you thought the item was in stock. Yes this sucks, but now you know about it so you can simply choose not to shop at GoHastings in the future if you can't deal with it. No need to endlessly complain about it in posts. Consider writing a letter to the president of Hastings, whose contact info can be found below this FAQ.

Because Hastings' physical store locations accept trade-ins for the used items that they sell, an item that was out of stock may quickly come back into stock if someone trades in the same item, or if someone returns the same item. However, as stated above, GoHastings.Com has an antiquated online system, and they will not be able to fulfill any items on your order once they have been canceled. You will have to re-order the item, at which time the promotion you initially ordered under may have expired. You can try to contact customer service to see if they will create a new order for you with the price point your originally ordered under.

Question: I just ordered something and now it shows as out of stock, either on my order history page or on the item's page. Will my order be canceled?
Answer:
Probably not, but it is still possible. GoHastings.Com updates its inventory count immediately when sales from the website are made. Therefore if they had one item, and you ordered it, it will now show up as out of stock on GoHastings.Com. However, if someone ordered it off Hastings' eBay or Amazon Marketplace listings first, they may fulfill that order first and cancel your order. Also, if someone walks into the store and purchases the item before it is pulled to ship to you, your order will be canceled. Additionally, store employees may not be able to locate the item and thus cancel your order for that reason. Hastings also has a problem on their website where items in your order history show as out of stock, sometimes regardless of the actual stock. Your best bet is to take a deep breath and not worry about it.

Sale Pricing
NEW!
Question: How can I tell if one promotion or discount is better than a different commonly offered promotion or discount?
Answer:
The following guides are only for video games since they take into consideration the $2.28 per game shipping price. You will have to do your own math for music/movies, books, trends/electronics and other shipping sales.

Remember, stock and prices fluctuate constantly and may not be the same by the next sale.

The math in the Buy 2 Get 1 For $1 deal assumes you choose three equally priced games to maximize your potential savings.

Free Shipping:
Vs. 96¢ Per Item Shipping: Use free shipping, obviously
Vs. 20% Off: Use free shipping with items $11.40 and less
Vs. 25% Off: Use free shipping with items $9.12 and less
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: Use free shipping with items $7.84 and less
Vs. 30% Off: Use free shipping with items $7.60 and less
Vs. 33% Off: Use free shipping with items $6.91 and less
Vs. 40% Off: Use free shipping with items $5.70 and less

96 Cent Shipping:
Vs. Free Shipping: Wait for Free Shipping, obviously
Vs. 20% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $6.60 and less
Vs. 25% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $5.28 and less
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.96 and less
Vs. 30% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.40 and less
Vs. 33% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.00 and less
Vs. 40% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $3.30 and less

20% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $11.40, use 20% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $6.60, use 20% Off
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: For items under $2.50, use 20% Off

25% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $9.12, use 25% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $5.28, use 20% Off
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: For items under $4.00, use 25% Off

30% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $7.60, use 30% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $4.40, use 30% Off
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: For items under $10, use 30% Off

Buy 2 Get 1 For $1:
Vs. Free Shipping: Use free shipping with items $7.84 and less
Vs. $0.96 Shipping: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.96 and less

33% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $6.91, use 33% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $4.00, use 33% Off

40% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $5.70, use 40% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $3.30, use 40% Off

Question: GoHastings.Com totally raised their prices prior to the sale! OMGWTFBBQSauce! Should I call the police / attorney general / president of the United States?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com claims to not raise their prices prior to sales. Their pricing is based on algorithms that consider things like supply, demand, competitor pricing, market rates, etc. If a game was $10 before the sale and $15 24 hours into the sale, chances are there were only a couple of copies of the game and someone bought one when the sale started, thus affecting the supply and demand. You are not the only one monitoring a Wish List on GoHastings.Com. However, there have been some clearly documented instances of raising prices right before a sale, especially with books rather than games.

Promotional Deal Codes
Question: Why is the promotional code not applying to my order?
Answer:
Certain M-rated games carry the disclaimer that "This item is only available for purchase by customers age 17 and older." If you have such a game in your cart, be sure to check the box by the "Check Out" button that says "I am at least 17 years of age" before clicking the "Apply Promotion Code" button to apply the promotional code.

Additionally, some promotional codes only apply to select qualifying titles. Be sure that your order only contains such titles. Occasionally the GoHastings.Com programmers miss something and games that are supposed to qualify do not work with the promotional code. If this is the case, please contact GoHastings.Com. Contact information can be found below this FAQ.

Question: Can I use more than one promotional code at the same time? Can I stack promotional codes?
Answer:
No, you can only apply one promotional code per order. This prevents code stacking. If there are two promotional codes valid at the same time that you would like to use, you must place two or more separate orders.

Question: What time do promotions normally begin / end?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com operates based on the Central Time Zone. Weekly promotions usually start on Sunday and usually last the whole week. Various other promotions may have different start times and durations. Promotions usually begin at midnight Central time. However, sometimes the new promotions take a while to go "live" on the website, so always double check your order that the correct discounted price is shown.

Order Problems and Contacting Customer Service
(Including Returns/Replacements for Wrong Item or Damaged/Defective Item)

Question: I am trying to place an order and have entered my correct shipping address, billing address and credit card info. The check out page says there is a problem with my information and I need to correct it, but nothing is incorrect. What is going on?!
Answer:
This is a random error that seems to affect some people and not others. There is no known cause for it. People have reported it occurring with different credit card companies (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, etc.). Some people think it has to do with what web browser you use, so perhaps try a different one. Some people have reported they can't place orders from computers or IP numbers located out of the state where their billing or shipping address is located. The bottom line is there is no fix for this problem from the customer's end. Your only attempt to get it resolved will be to CALL Customer Service. Contact details for Customer Service can be found below this FAQ.

Question: GoHastings.Com sent me a defective game or the wrong game. How do I return it? Can they send me a replacement/correct item?
Answer:
Contact customer service to initiate the return process. Customer service contact information is located in this post, below the FAQ. GoHastings.Com will not charge you to ship the game back, and they will give you a full refund, including what you paid initially for shipping. In some instances, they will simply refund the cost of the item and let you keep the defective or wrong item for free. GoHastings.Com will not normally send you a replacement item if you received a defective or incorrect item. They will usually tell you that you must place a new order, at which time the promotion you initially ordered under may have expired. You can try to contact customer service to see if they will create a new order for you with the price point you originally ordered under.

Question: Something went wrong with my order. How do I contact customer service?
Answer:
Customer service contact information is located in this post, below the FAQ.

Question: Should I call or email customer service?
Answer:
CAGs have reported mixed experiences with both calling and emailing Hastings Customer Service. It is up to your preference. If you are contacting them regarding credit card issues, it may be best to call rather than put highly sensitive information in an email. If you call during business hours, your issue may be resolved right then over the phone. You might also have to wait on hold for a long period of time during peak hours. If you email, you may have to wait up to 48 hours to get a response, especially if you email over the weekend. Often the email replies fail to understand your entire issue with your order. Customer Service contact information is located in this post, below the FAQ.

Question: What is GoHastings.Com return policy?
Answer:
The GoHastings.Com website states their return policy is as follows:

All items purchased through gohastings.com may be returned for a full refund of the purchase price, if they meet the following criteria:

• All new items are in original unopened packaging.
  • Return of product is within 30 days of shipping date.
  • Returned product(s) must be in the original packaging and include any manuals, cabling and accessories in saleable condition.
  • Video Game Systems that are found defective within the 30 day window must make a return using the manufacturer's warranty.
Shipping and handling charges are not refundable.
Note: Products purchased through goHastings.com may not be returned to a physical store location for refund.
However, this can be confusing considering used items, such as games, come in opened packaging. Normally GoHastings has no problem with returns for defective or incorrect used game shipments that are promptly requested. At the very least, if a game item was found to be defective within 30 days of the shipping date, you would have a good argument toward customer service that you should be able to return the game item. Abusing the return policy to replace your own broken items with items from GoHastings inventory wouldn't be a good idea.

Miscellaneous
Question: Does GoHastings.Com collect sales tax?
Answer:
According to GoHastings.Com:

Currently goHastings.com only charges sales tax in states where we have a physical presence. Sales taxes are calculated during the ordering process and will show tax charged for the delivery destination, based on current tax rates. Shipping charges may also be subject to tax in certain states.
Currently sales tax is automatically applied in the following states:

• Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Arizona
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • Oklahoma
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

Question: Where are Hastings brick and mortar retail stores located?
Answer:
Question: Are the online prices the same in store? Are the online specials valid in store?
Answer:
Generally speaking, no. For used items and for some new items, GoHastings.Com uses algorithms where prices can change multiple times in one day. Hastings retail locations have their own set prices. See your local store for more information. Additionally, online special sales and promotions are not valid in store. Sometimes Hastings runs the same pricing online and in store for certain items.

Question: Are the brick and mortar retail location advertisements valid online?
Answer:
Generally the prices in the retail location advertisements are not valid on GoHastings.Com. Sometimes Hastings runs the same pricing online and in store for certain items.

Customer Service Contact Information
Customer Service Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday 9 am through 9 pm CST
Toll Free Phone Number: (877)-HASTINGS (427-8464)
Fax: (806) 467-8330

Email: service[at]gohastings.com
PM the GoHastings Representative on CAG: gohastings (John) [Not active since October 2013]

Regular Mail:
Hastings Internet, Inc.
3601 Plains Blvd.
Amarillo, TX 79102

Comments to the President:
John Marmaduke, President & CEO RIP In Peace

Alan Van Ongevalle, President & COO
Hastings Entertainment, Inc.
PO Box 35350
Amarillo, TX 79120-5350

GoHastings.Com / Hastings Entertainment Online Information
Retail Store Weekly Ad: http://www.gohastings.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=StoreAd
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gohastings?sk=wall
Twitter: @gohastings
Google+: https://plus.google.com/107834874893127887270/posts
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gohastings/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/gohastings
Is the GoHastings.Com server down for everyone or just me?: Click here to check

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cynicalaa22']I also don't understand why DVDs are cheaper to ship than games when they're basically the same weight.[/QUOTE]

There is a big difference. DVD's qualify for Media Mail rates from USPS. Video Games must be sent First Class. So the same size Video Game is more expensive to ship than a DVD, Music or Book.

[quote name='gohastings']There is a big difference. DVD's qualify for Media Mail rates from USPS. Video Games must be sent First Class. So the same size Video Game is more expensive to ship than a DVD, Music or Book.[/QUOTE]

And this makes complete sense. Forgot that video games don't qualify for media mail. Thanks for clearing that up.

Got two games I ordered from Friday night. One was "used" like I would expect, the other (LA Noire vanilla) was "abused" and it looks like the artwork was dipped into coffee, put back in the case and then laid out in the sun to dry. Pretty unappealing.

But there was an unused DLC code though.

I have 5 holds on my bank account for $42.95. I bought a couple books for a total of $32.71. Has anyone had this happen? I'm quite pissed.

I sent them an email. Hopefully it will be resolved.

[quote name='Aerc']I have 5 holds on my bank account for $42.95. I bought a couple books for a total of $32.71. Has anyone had this happen? I'm quite pissed.

I sent them an email. Hopefully it will be resolved.[/QUOTE]

Ive never had 5, but i have had charges that didnt match, and also duplicate charges. Since they are holds I would not worry about it, I have never had them go through on mine.

[quote name='hamokmonky']Ive never had 5, but i have had charges that didnt match, and also duplicate charges. Since they are holds I would not worry about it, I have never had them go through on mine.[/QUOTE]

I just don't understand why there are 4 holds. I was charged the $32 for the order and then 5 holds for $10 more than the order total. It says the holds expire today, so hopefully later they will be gone.

I had a similar thing happen this weekend, first time it's ever happened. I had two holds placed on my account. I e-mailed them and they confirmed that the holds would drop, and sure enough, the extra hold dropped this morning.

So I just received a couple packages, and one of them included a previously used DVD.

I've ordered previously used games before and have had no problems whatsoever, so I figure I should be fine ordering a DVD.

This is what I ended up with,

photo1gg.jpg

photo2iq.jpg

If anyone doesn't know what's wrong with the picture, the set originally comes in a cardboard slipcover box with two slim cases on the inside that holds each disc. What I received was parts of the box that's been ripped apart, cut, and butchered into 2 pieces, along with the 2 discs, and this is how it arrived in the package.

I have other previously viewed DVDs I'm waiting to arrive that I am immensely worried about, and the second part of this collection is also previously used.

I really enjoyed not having to call Hastings customer service to fix things, but looks like I'll be making quite a few calls again this week.

Had I known previously used DVD sets like this were going to get cut into pieces and then sent to me like this, I would've just ordered the used. Normally previously used are better than used, but in this case, it is quite the opposite.

This hasn't ruined my overall experience since I've have had more good experiences than bad with Hastings, but this is definitely not helping their cause.

Seriously though, who cuts a box up into two pieces of cardboard, puts a couple discs in them, and then ships it this way?

Does Hastings not respond to their emails when it comes to returns or something?

I hate calling them because it's hard to explain that a collectors edition item needs certain things in order to be consider a "collectors edition".

[quote name='gohastings']There is a big difference. DVD's qualify for Media Mail rates from USPS. Video Games must be sent First Class. So the same size Video Game is more expensive to ship than a DVD, Music or Book.[/QUOTE]

Does Hastings get different rates or something, because you're a business? I've compared the media mail vs first class option back before the USPS specifically restricted games for media mail and first class was actually cheaper than media mail up to 7 or 8 ozs (can't remember the exact amount). Even now, for a 1 oz package, media mail is actually more than first class. But again, these are based off of the USPS site calculations.

[quote name='Vinny']Does Hastings not respond to their emails when it comes to returns or something?

I hate calling them because it's hard to explain that a collectors edition item needs certain things in order to be consider a collectors edition.[/QUOTE]

It's normally easier just to call them because their online customer service isn't as quick and vigilante and helping you out.

Usually I just call them up directly, especially for something like collector's edition problems, since it's actually part of their policy that used/PV items are not guaranteed to come with everything, even though it's a collectors edition, since that's just how the UPC lists the collector's game.

Might be hard to argue for that, but calling will probably better if you want any chance of it getting resolved.

[quote name='Vinny']
Does Hastings get different rates or something, because you're a business? I've compared the media mail vs first class option back before the USPS specifically restricted games for media mail and first class was actually cheaper than media mail up to 7 or 8 ozs (can't remember the exact amount). Even now, for a 1 oz package, media mail is actually more than first class. But again, these are based off of the USPS site calculations.[/QUOTE]

Most of my DVDs are actually shipped First Class Mail, unless they are bundled up with a bunch of DVDs, then they are sent media mail. In this scenario, it is definitely cheaper sending through media mail rather than first class mail since it can't be used over 13oz. I think that's what the rep might be referring to.

[quote name='Vinny']Does Hastings not respond to their emails when it comes to returns or something?

I hate calling them because it's hard to explain that a collectors edition item needs certain things in order to be consider a "collectors edition".

Does Hastings get different rates or something, because you're a business? I've compared the media mail vs first class option back before the USPS specifically restricted games for media mail and first class was actually cheaper than media mail up to 7 or 8 ozs (can't remember the exact amount). Even now, for a 1 oz package, media mail is actually more than first class. But again, these are based off of the USPS site calculations.[/QUOTE]

We do get discounts but you are correct that there is a break point that first class can become cheaper than media mail. A comparison is made at the time we are shipping the cheapest method is used. But we spend a lot more money shipping video games than we do on the other media products. Personally, I don't understand why the USPS views them differently - all video games are either DVD or Blu-Ray.

We are always evaluating our shipping prices and costs and trying to find the best way to present a good value while also making a profit.

I shipped something via media mail before and it took forever to get to the person so I only stick to first class now. Anyway, I ordered :ps3: Asura's Wrath and Devil May Cry HD Collection before I left for vacation and both came Mint & Complete.

The unfortunate thing about previously viewed is that it is not a gaurentee that it comes with any artwork at all. Im not sure in what world previously viewed is better than used though, previously viewed is usually former rental products and generally rental products are much more abused than dvds that are in a single persons possession. I've rarely had a problem ordering used products from gohastings, and the majority of the problems were either obviously USPS's fault or could have potentially been. I've never gotten anything used that didnt look pristine except when its possible it got smashed in shipping (which you can generally tell because the pieces are in the envelope too). Sometimes a few slight cracks in the discs which could have happened in shipping or are easy to overlook if you are just scanning the sets quickly for damage.

[quote name='hamokmonky']The unfortunate thing about previously viewed is that it is not a gaurentee that it comes with any artwork at all. Im not sure in what world previously viewed is better than used though, previously viewed is usually former rental products and generally rental products are much more abused than dvds that are in a single persons possession. I've rarely had a problem ordering used products from gohastings, and the majority of the problems were either obviously USPS's fault or could have potentially been. I've never gotten anything used that didnt look pristine except when its possible it got smashed in shipping (which you can generally tell because the pieces are in the envelope too). Sometimes a few slight cracks in the discs which could have happened in shipping or are easy to overlook if you are just scanning the sets quickly for damage.[/QUOTE]

Actually I've been ordering from Hastings for years, and previously used games in Hastings world has actually been better for me than purchasing previously used from BBV or somewhere, so in Hastings world, it definitely exist this way. Not to mention others have had the same experience as well ordering previously used games that way. I just dread to see the stark contrast between PV games and PV DVDs.

Also, their fine print on the coniditons on previously used/used only specify no extras will be included. I have actually had contact in the past with Hasting customer service over the phone that have told me they do guarantee the box and artwork, but what they do NOT guarantee is any of the extras, because taking in things used and also renting things out previously used, usually the extras are tossed or the dlc has been used. But most this is just beyond unacceptable because if you read what I wrote in my post, I got 2 pieces of cardboard, and 2 discs in the package, as shown in the picture.

As I've said before, I've ordered a lot from Hastings, and usually they are pretty good, but this time it is just a complete disappointment, and even if this is how they are treating their previously used, they really shouldn't be and not an excuse on their part.

well squarehead, you obviously got a different CS rep than I did, because I was told very specifically that for PV movies, the only gaurentee is that the disc is there and works. I've definitely gotten stuff without artwork before. I order tons of used and PV items from gohastings and the used is always better, I guess that is just a different world in game land.

[quote name='hamokmonky']well squarehead, you obviously got a different CS rep than I did, because I was told very specifically that for PV movies, the only gaurentee is that the disc is there and works. I've definitely gotten stuff without artwork before. I order tons of used and PV items from gohastings and the used is always better, I guess that is just a different world in game land.[/QUOTE]

I've actually gotten this from a few different CS reps, so which is why I have made this consensus on their policy. But it's also very inconsistent which CS rep you actually get, since not all reps have told me the same thing, although I have gotten this response from several reps, so I just take the word of the ones that told me they do. And because I have been told of this expectation, I expect something more than just two pieces of cardboard and two discs, would you agree?

"Previously Viewed/Previously Played (PV/PP) - are movies/games that were rented in our retail locations. These movies/games have been reconditioned. This product will not include additional discs, digital content, inserts or other inclusions typically associated with new product."Doesnt say anything about guarantee on the box and artwork, which is why I think there might be confusion between different CS reps, and if theres confusion among the CS reps, then theres probably confusion between site managers and employees who are doing the packing and shipping.

Yeah, it really is unclear as far as original box and what not. The fine print has always been like that, so leaves the door way open for a ton of confusion, but I think I am just going to avoid previously viewed DVDs altogether now, since I know the kind of quality I will be receiving from now on.

yea, i only ever buy PV if its significantly less than used (like $5 or more or something). In one case it was a PV tv set that was $4 vs the used price of $25, so I didnt really care getting disc only on that :)

im not sure i can afford another 30% off sale, but it did seem like they have had a lot of really good deals this year so far so I hope it keeps up

same with me, i can't afford another 30% off sale either. But so far gohastings has been really good this year with their deals. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

I probably wouldn't buy a previously viewed set of anything. For tv shows they rent each disc separately so they separate it. Probably why they butchered the box to give each rentable disk an insert.

Well I have to say, I was slow to start shopping with Hastings (to say the least) due to the shipping. But I gladly say that I eat my words. So far, my experience has been excellent. From the 33% off sale I bought Fortune Street, Skylanders (ps3), and Kinect Disneyland Adventures. So far, Fortune Street and Skylanders have arrived.

Fortune Street came complete, including an unused Club Nintendo code and the disc looks like it's never been played.

Skylanders is one of the best experiences i've ever had with a used game. It came in a very large box with a lot of packing protection. It included the original box, all three figures, the portal, the game complete (a couple light fingerprints on the disc that wiped away easily), the poster and trading cards still unopened, and even the three unused AA batteries. The only difference between this and a new copy, it seems, is the shrink wrap was gone. All that for $19.86 + shipping. I've included a picture in spoilers
93d48166.jpg

If Disneyland Adventures is in as good condition as the first two, GoHastings has a new loyal customer.

[quote name='Drclaw411']If Disneyland Adventures is in as good condition as the first two, GoHastings has a new loyal customer.[/QUOTE]

They sent you a new copy of Disneyland Adventures since they were out of used at the time of your order, but then they realized you're the asshole who gave them so much shit over $2.28 shipping that they rerouted the delivery and sent you a disc-only copy. Sorry, mate.

[quote name='whitereflection']They sent you a new copy of Disneyland Adventures since they were out of used at the time of your order, but then they realized you're the asshole who gave them so much shit over $2.28 shipping that they rerouted the delivery and sent you a disc-only copy. Sorry, mate.[/QUOTE]

You're cool

[quote name='Drclaw411']Well I have to say, I was slow to start shopping with Hastings (to say the least) due to the shipping. But I gladly say that I eat my words. So far, my experience has been excellent. From the 33% off sale I bought Fortune Street, Skylanders (ps3), and Kinect Disneyland Adventures. So far, Fortune Street and Skylanders have arrived.

Fortune Street came complete, including an unused Club Nintendo code and the disc looks like it's never been played.

Skylanders is one of the best experiences i've ever had with a used game. It came in a very large box with a lot of packing protection. It included the original box, all three figures, the portal, the game complete (a couple light fingerprints on the disc that wiped away easily), the poster and trading cards still unopened, and even the three unused AA batteries. The only difference between this and a new copy, it seems, is the shrink wrap was gone. All that for $19.86 + shipping. I've included a picture in spoilers
93d48166.jpg

If Disneyland Adventures is in as good condition as the first two, GoHastings has a new loyal customer.[/QUOTE]

I'm glad you gave them a chance despite our sometimes hostile responses to the shipping complaints. Only charging you 2.28 to ship that huge skylanders box isn't a bad deal at all.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I'm glad you gave them a chance despite our sometimes hostile responses to the shipping complaints. Only charging you 2.28 to ship that huge skylanders box isn't a bad deal at all.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I can admit when I'm wrong. I was wrong about Hastings. Great site.

Disneyland Adventures arrived complete with case and manual. Not a scratch or even so much as a fingerprint on the disc. Hastings was 3/3 for me. My doubts were firmly put to rest and my complaints about shipping charges were unjustified. I'm officially a Hastings loyal customer after this great experience.

I ordered 5 used games from GoHastings and surprisingly all of them came in good condition with case/manual. I will definitely order from them again when they have a 30% off sale... but I should hold off for a while I have quite a backlog now.

Wanted to echo similar experiences with my recent order that I got in today. All 3 games were in excellent condition. I've pretty much built a 15~ game backlog from the 29-33% off sales that GoHastings has run throughout the year so far. Very pleased!

Good to see people are having positive experiences this time around. But be warned, you will have a bad purchase experience at some point, and it will test your desire to be a Hastings customer. But hopefully people get much more good out of these deals than bad.

I once ordered a copy of Metal Gear Ac!d that the UMD looked like somebody tried smuggling it into the U.S. up their ass... I sold it to the local music shop, but aside from that, and a few little grievances along the way, Hastings has been pretty awesome. I mean, with the prices, you can't always expect pristine condition (especially on the DVDs that are ~$1.40 after 30% off) but for the most part, they are my go to place on the net for media.

[quote name='kodave']Good to see people are having positive experiences this time around. But be warned, you will have a bad purchase experience at some point, and it will test your desire to be a Hastings customer. But hopefully people get much more good out of these deals than bad.[/QUOTE]

its really hard to have a "bad" purchase when their return/refund process is really easy and fast. Sure you might not get what you want, but you're never out your money for it....

[quote name='kodave']Good to see people are having positive experiences this time around. But be warned, you will have a bad purchase experience at some point, and it will test your desire to be a Hastings customer. But hopefully people get much more good out of these deals than bad.[/QUOTE]

I have only been ordering from GH for 3 months, but this last order was a real test for me after 3 disappointing used products (2 usable, 1 that was so scratched the player couldn't read it) but I got my 3 items this morning from the latest sale and JOY, the good continues to outweigh the bad. Two graphic novels in NM condition and Oblivion GOTY in VG condition with both discs, manual and even the map included.

I try to remind myself that although it's disappointing, there's really a low threshold on the amount of 'butt-hurt' I can feel over a scratched DVD that shipped to me for $3. (Although I really do wish they would check the discs and resurface the ones that look like they were dragged on asphalt before shipping). So far their customer service has been really helpful though.

Thanks for introducing me to GH at the end of January via maintaining this thread Kodave.

My relationship with GH started off on a bad foot, but the customer service won me over and have had nothing but good experiences since.

My first order consisted of promo purchases of used Halo 3:ODST and Halo: Reach late last year. ODST arrived missing one of the discs, and Reach wouldn't install. Called CS, fearing the worst. Instead, was given full refunds for both titles, as well as prepaid shipping labels to send them back. CS rep couldn't do an exchange, but provided a code that locked-in the promo price so I could re-purchase at my convenience. Waited until a cheap shipping promo and then re-bought. About as good as it gets in my book.

I once ordered a copy of Metal Gear Ac!d that the UMD looked like somebody tried smuggling it into the U.S. up their ass...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFtHjV4c4uw

Im definitely a proponent of gohastings, I've purchased probably over 300 items from them in the past several years and I'd say 95% of items come through like new or new, and those that dont I've been refunded promptly for. But today is the first time I recieved .... a bootleg. I was really surprised, because even sets that are normally bootlegged like dexter and doctor who I have recieved legitimate copies of. I was floored. I wonder what CS will say today when I call them? To be fair, it is very well done, and if my neighbor didnt have a copy for me to compare it to, I might have accepted it.

[quote name='hamokmonky']Im definitely a proponent of gohastings, I've purchased probably over 300 items from them in the past several years and I'd say 95% of items come through like new or new, and those that dont I've been refunded promptly for. But today is the first time I recieved .... a bootleg. I was really surprised, because even sets that are normally bootlegged like dexter and doctor who I have recieved legitimate copies of. I was floored. I wonder what CS will say today when I call them? To be fair, it is very well done, and if my neighbor didnt have a copy for me to compare it to, I might have accepted it.[/QUOTE]

Most of the bootlegs I've come across are clear bootleg, meaning printed on CD-R/DVD-R. If you needed to compare it to another copy to tell are you sure it's not a just a different version?

yes, i am sure its definitely not a different version. I have received many bootlegs from amazon and ebay sellers that I am very trained in what to look for. I just wanted to make sure I was looking at a bootleg before I called gohastings, the only reason I compared them.

Just described it to CS, and she completely agreed with me that it was bootleg. Gave me a refund immediately, woot! Yay gohastings CS, wins again. I have to say good prices will get me to a website at the beginning, but good CS will gain you a customer for life....

Never seen a bootleg from GoHastings. Have nothing but good things to say about them, fast and well packaged shipping, great cases and discs. Never had a problem with them, bought well over 50 items from them in the past two months or so.

[quote name='hamokmonky']Just described it to CS, and she completely agreed with me that it was bootleg. Gave me a refund immediately, woot! Yay gohastings CS, wins again. I have to say good prices will get me to a website at the beginning, but good CS will gain you a customer for life....[/QUOTE]

I'm not questioning you, I'm just curious, was this a foreign bootleg? Or what made it different?

The one thing I've learned recently with a dexter season 5 debacle (where I received 2 different bootleg copies that looked pretty realistic but the first one had some artwork flaws and the 2nd one had the same discs as the first one did), is that tv shows, or discs in general printed in the US will never have the name of the show on the inside ring on the underside. There should be a long series of numbers and a barcode looking thing. Anything that reads "Dexter Season 5 - Disc 1" or something like that while it seems like it would be legitimate is not. Also, another thing to check is to make sure the discs are dual layered, because almost all tv shows nowadays are, especially if the disc contains special features. Some of the artwork will look spot on, but sometimes I can also tell if the UPC doesnt scan correctly (I have a UPC scanner I use to catelog my very large collection). That wasnt the case in this instance, but I've had that happen before. The first thing I check is that the UPC matches amazon listings (if its a dvd or blu-ray movie, then this might not work since rental versions arent listed in amazon all that often). After that, I check the discs for coloring (also not the case in this one), then I check the inside ring I was talking about to make sure it looks like its supposed to (string of numbers and letters with a barcode looking thing) - this was off on my copy, and lastly I check that the discs are dual layered and if not, I look them up online to make sure they arent supposed to be.

So I got enchanted arms the other day, paid $5.55 shipped. I noticed my card was charged twice, but figured it was pending so after everything was finalized it would only be charged once.

Today I go on my statement and find out that both charges were removed, wtf? Did I just get a game for free?

[quote name='Pravado']So I got enchanted arms the other day, paid $5.55 shipped. I noticed my card was charged twice, but figured it was pending so after everything was finalized it would only be charged once.

Today I go on my statement and find out that both charges were removed, wtf? Did I just get a game for free?[/QUOTE]

No, I have seen this happen tons of times. The charges get removed from pending, and then the next day they show up as complete, so just wait another day or so and it should show up again

Got the last of my PV item today, and I will say I will never order PV from Hastings ever again. Majority of the used stuff were just fine. I feel this whole experience has taught me to never trust a PV title again, which is a good thing. Hope it's going to be a good sale for tonight. My wallet is itching for some USED titles. ;P

bread's done
Back