The Last Days of the Hastings / GoHastings Universe - Check the latest posts!

kodave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION IN THIS THREAD, READ THE FAQ BELOW!

GoHastings.Com Promotional Deals and Codes

AMARILLO, Texas - Texas-based Hastings Entertainment Inc. has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Company officials say the reorganization filing includes its parent company, Draw Another Circle, and sister brands Movie Stop and SPImages.

A statement posted Monday on the Hastings website says the Chapter 11 process will help prepare the business for an intended sale, while providing protections and financing to continue operations. Further financial details weren’t released.

Hastings will no longer accept or honor deposits for movie purchases and will no longer rent games. Hastings gift cards expire July 13, 2016. The company’s buyback program has been suspended.
Full List Of Online Coupon Codes

In-Store Sales / Discounts / Liquidation will vary from Online Sale / Coupon offerings

Check latest posts in thread for more specific updates

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Please read me before posting a question!

Click the "Show Spoiler" button below to see the FAQ
General
Question: What is Hastings / GoHastings.Com?
Answer:
Founded in 1968, Hastings Entertainment, Inc. is a leading multimedia entertainment retailer that combines the sale of new and used books, videos, video games and CDs, and trends and consumer electronics merchandise, with the rental of videos and video games in a superstore format. Currently there are 146 superstores. Hastings also operates www.goHastings.com, an e-commerce Internet Web site that makes available to customers new and used entertainment products and unique, contemporary gifts and toys.

Question: Gee, this is a really long FAQ. Doesn't Hasting have their own FAQ for customers?
Answer:
Hastings does have their own FAQ. You can read Hastings' official FAQ by clicking here. However, this FAQ goes into many details that Hastings' own FAQ does not. So be sure to read through all of this before asking a question!

NEW!
Question: How can I filter and sort Used Video Games to remove the out of stock items?
Answer:
Find the "Stock" dropdown menu option when browsing the used game selection and choose "In Stock." Games that have been purchased in the past day and are now out of stock may still appear.

NEW!
Question: Where can I find clearance video games and other clearance items?
Answer:
Clearance Video Games are in New condition; Plus $2.28 shipping per game
Click Here For Overall Video Game Clearance Items > Sort by Platform on the drop down menu
Click Here For Overall Clearance Items

Game / Item Condition
Question: What is the difference between "used" and "previously viewed" items on GoHastings.Com?
Answer:
"Used" games and movies are items that have been traded in to a Hastings retail location by a customer. "Previously viewed" games and movies are items that Hastings has rented out to customers at their retail locations but are now selling to the public.

When it comes to video games, most CAGs report no real difference between the two other than some ancillary stickers, but both "used" and "previously viewed" games are subject to being scratched, abused, or incomplete depending how well it was previously taken care of.

When it comes to movies, the "Previously Viewed" rental versions often lack features from the full retail versions and may come in different boxes, have different UPCs, have white barcode stickers around the center ring of the disc, etc.

You may encounter a situation where a customer has purchased a "previously used" item from Hastings, then traded it back into Hastings, thus making it a "used" item. This practiced is frowned upon by most customers, but Hastings has shown next to no incentive to change it. It mostly happens with movies.

Question: Do used and previously viewed video games come complete with the original case and manual?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com states as follows:

Due to the nature of used products; booklet inserts, digital movie downloads and manuals are not guaranteed in our used video games, movies and CDs.
However, the vast majority of CAGs have reported that a large majority of their games do arrive complete. Incomplete games are more of an exception rather than the rule.

Question: Are used collector's editions and limited editions of games guaranteed to come with extras like bonus discs, statutes, and other items?
Answer:
No. Hopefully the used CE and LE games would at least come with all of the discs, but this is not guaranteed. And there is absolutely no guarantee other physical items or "swag" will be included for these used copies. However, CAGs have reported that they have purchased used CE and LE games and received all of the extras. If you order a used CE or LE and it does not come with the extras, just contact customer service and ask about a return/refund.

Question: What condition do "used" and "previously viewed" discs come in?
Answer:
Mosts CAGs seem to get games in good, playable condition if not better. However, there have been cases of receiving a game so scratched up that it would not load/play. These games can be returned to GoHastings.Com at no cost to the customer for a full refund.

NEW!
Question: Are New condition games factory sealed or gutted and re-sealed?
Answer:
As of mid-2013, Hastings retail stores have adopted a policy of gutting games then storing the game discs, manuals and DLC papers separately. This is so they do not have to lock up games or put security cases on games yet still allow the customer to physically handle the boxes in-store. When a new game is sold, Hasting will either re-seal the game or they will place the game in a bag that cannot be opened if you want to return the game as new.

Shipping
Question: Why are my items shipping individually? Why does GoHastings.Com include a shipping charge for each individual item ordered?
Answer:
Hastings does not have warehouses for fulfilling internet orders. All items are shipped from individual brick and mortar retail stores. If your order contains multiple items, your order may ship from multiple locations at different times if one location does not have all of the items you ordered. Because items could ship from more than one location, GoHastings.Com charges a per item shipping fee. Yes this can be frustrating, so its best to either get over it if you intend to shop at GoHastings.Com, or if you can't get over it, shop elsewhere. Like all "deals," include the shipping price per item into consideration for the total cost of the game being purchased.

UPDATED!
Question: How much is shipping per item?
Answer:
Video Games and PC software ship for $2.28 per item.

CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays ship for $1.29 per item.

Books have a per-order charge of $3.00 plus $0.99 shipping per book ordered.

Game Hardware, Electronics and Trends have a per-order charge of $1.99 plus $0.10 shipping per ounce for each item ordered.

Full shipping information, including expedited shipping prices, can be found HERE.

Occasionally, GoHastings.Com offers free or reduced shipping promotions.

Please note, books used to ship for $0.96 per order with no per item charge but Hastings discontinued that pricing scheme as of January 10, 2014. CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays used to ship for $0.96 per item, but Hastings raised that price to the current cost as of approximately May 25, 2014.

Question: How long does it take GoHastings.Com to ship my order?
Answer:
Standard Shipping:
Order processed within 48 Hours
Shipping time is 3-10 Days

Priority / Expedited Mail:
Order processed within 48 Hours
Shipping time is 2 - 3 Days

Question: What service does GoHastings.Com use to ship items?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com primarily ships items using the United States Postal Service (USPS). Video games ship via USPS First Class Mail. Books, movies and music ship via USPS Media Mail. Larger orders may ship via UPS.

Question: Will GoHastings.Com give me a tracking number for each shipment?
Answer:
Every shipment usually has a tracking number associated with it. If you did not see a tracking number in the shipping confirmation email, check your order history on GoHastings.Com.

Question: What will GoHastings.Com ship my items in?
Answer:
It will vary. Hastings might use a yellow paper mailer with bubble padding on the inside. They might use a white plastic envelope with bubble padding on the inside. They might use a stiffer paper/lighter cardboard envelope with no padding. Hastings will try to jam as many items into any of the above envelope options as possible, resulting in frequently damaged books, broken game/movie/CD cases, etc. On rare occasions, someone at Hastings will have the common sense to put larger or heavier items into a box for safer shipping, but even then they will neglect to use padding. Hastings used to ship items in a white plastic poly-bag with absolutely no padding or protection, but after numerous complaints, the company claims these are supposed to be phased out and no longer in use. They still pop up from time to time.

Order Cancellations / Out Of Stock Items
Question: Why was an item cancelled out of my order? Why is that item back in stock right now?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com fills their stock from their Hastings brick and mortar retail locations. Additionally, GoHastings.Com sells items on Amazon and eBay. Their online inventory system is antiquated and does not update stock instantaneously across physical store locations, GoHastings.Com, Amazon, and eBay. Therefore if someone bought the same item first in store/on Amazon/on eBay, their order will be fulfilled first and your item will be cancelled if there is not enough inventory to go around, even though you thought the item was in stock. Yes this sucks, but now you know about it so you can simply choose not to shop at GoHastings in the future if you can't deal with it. No need to endlessly complain about it in posts. Consider writing a letter to the president of Hastings, whose contact info can be found below this FAQ.

Because Hastings' physical store locations accept trade-ins for the used items that they sell, an item that was out of stock may quickly come back into stock if someone trades in the same item, or if someone returns the same item. However, as stated above, GoHastings.Com has an antiquated online system, and they will not be able to fulfill any items on your order once they have been canceled. You will have to re-order the item, at which time the promotion you initially ordered under may have expired. You can try to contact customer service to see if they will create a new order for you with the price point your originally ordered under.

Question: I just ordered something and now it shows as out of stock, either on my order history page or on the item's page. Will my order be canceled?
Answer:
Probably not, but it is still possible. GoHastings.Com updates its inventory count immediately when sales from the website are made. Therefore if they had one item, and you ordered it, it will now show up as out of stock on GoHastings.Com. However, if someone ordered it off Hastings' eBay or Amazon Marketplace listings first, they may fulfill that order first and cancel your order. Also, if someone walks into the store and purchases the item before it is pulled to ship to you, your order will be canceled. Additionally, store employees may not be able to locate the item and thus cancel your order for that reason. Hastings also has a problem on their website where items in your order history show as out of stock, sometimes regardless of the actual stock. Your best bet is to take a deep breath and not worry about it.

Sale Pricing
NEW!
Question: How can I tell if one promotion or discount is better than a different commonly offered promotion or discount?
Answer:
The following guides are only for video games since they take into consideration the $2.28 per game shipping price. You will have to do your own math for music/movies, books, trends/electronics and other shipping sales.

Remember, stock and prices fluctuate constantly and may not be the same by the next sale.

The math in the Buy 2 Get 1 For $1 deal assumes you choose three equally priced games to maximize your potential savings.

Free Shipping:
Vs. 96¢ Per Item Shipping: Use free shipping, obviously
Vs. 20% Off: Use free shipping with items $11.40 and less
Vs. 25% Off: Use free shipping with items $9.12 and less
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: Use free shipping with items $7.84 and less
Vs. 30% Off: Use free shipping with items $7.60 and less
Vs. 33% Off: Use free shipping with items $6.91 and less
Vs. 40% Off: Use free shipping with items $5.70 and less

96 Cent Shipping:
Vs. Free Shipping: Wait for Free Shipping, obviously
Vs. 20% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $6.60 and less
Vs. 25% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $5.28 and less
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.96 and less
Vs. 30% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.40 and less
Vs. 33% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.00 and less
Vs. 40% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $3.30 and less

20% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $11.40, use 20% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $6.60, use 20% Off
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: For items under $2.50, use 20% Off

25% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $9.12, use 25% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $5.28, use 20% Off
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: For items under $4.00, use 25% Off

30% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $7.60, use 30% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $4.40, use 30% Off
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: For items under $10, use 30% Off

Buy 2 Get 1 For $1:
Vs. Free Shipping: Use free shipping with items $7.84 and less
Vs. $0.96 Shipping: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.96 and less

33% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $6.91, use 33% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $4.00, use 33% Off

40% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $5.70, use 40% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $3.30, use 40% Off

Question: GoHastings.Com totally raised their prices prior to the sale! OMGWTFBBQSauce! Should I call the police / attorney general / president of the United States?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com claims to not raise their prices prior to sales. Their pricing is based on algorithms that consider things like supply, demand, competitor pricing, market rates, etc. If a game was $10 before the sale and $15 24 hours into the sale, chances are there were only a couple of copies of the game and someone bought one when the sale started, thus affecting the supply and demand. You are not the only one monitoring a Wish List on GoHastings.Com. However, there have been some clearly documented instances of raising prices right before a sale, especially with books rather than games.

Promotional Deal Codes
Question: Why is the promotional code not applying to my order?
Answer:
Certain M-rated games carry the disclaimer that "This item is only available for purchase by customers age 17 and older." If you have such a game in your cart, be sure to check the box by the "Check Out" button that says "I am at least 17 years of age" before clicking the "Apply Promotion Code" button to apply the promotional code.

Additionally, some promotional codes only apply to select qualifying titles. Be sure that your order only contains such titles. Occasionally the GoHastings.Com programmers miss something and games that are supposed to qualify do not work with the promotional code. If this is the case, please contact GoHastings.Com. Contact information can be found below this FAQ.

Question: Can I use more than one promotional code at the same time? Can I stack promotional codes?
Answer:
No, you can only apply one promotional code per order. This prevents code stacking. If there are two promotional codes valid at the same time that you would like to use, you must place two or more separate orders.

Question: What time do promotions normally begin / end?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com operates based on the Central Time Zone. Weekly promotions usually start on Sunday and usually last the whole week. Various other promotions may have different start times and durations. Promotions usually begin at midnight Central time. However, sometimes the new promotions take a while to go "live" on the website, so always double check your order that the correct discounted price is shown.

Order Problems and Contacting Customer Service
(Including Returns/Replacements for Wrong Item or Damaged/Defective Item)

Question: I am trying to place an order and have entered my correct shipping address, billing address and credit card info. The check out page says there is a problem with my information and I need to correct it, but nothing is incorrect. What is going on?!
Answer:
This is a random error that seems to affect some people and not others. There is no known cause for it. People have reported it occurring with different credit card companies (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, etc.). Some people think it has to do with what web browser you use, so perhaps try a different one. Some people have reported they can't place orders from computers or IP numbers located out of the state where their billing or shipping address is located. The bottom line is there is no fix for this problem from the customer's end. Your only attempt to get it resolved will be to CALL Customer Service. Contact details for Customer Service can be found below this FAQ.

Question: GoHastings.Com sent me a defective game or the wrong game. How do I return it? Can they send me a replacement/correct item?
Answer:
Contact customer service to initiate the return process. Customer service contact information is located in this post, below the FAQ. GoHastings.Com will not charge you to ship the game back, and they will give you a full refund, including what you paid initially for shipping. In some instances, they will simply refund the cost of the item and let you keep the defective or wrong item for free. GoHastings.Com will not normally send you a replacement item if you received a defective or incorrect item. They will usually tell you that you must place a new order, at which time the promotion you initially ordered under may have expired. You can try to contact customer service to see if they will create a new order for you with the price point you originally ordered under.

Question: Something went wrong with my order. How do I contact customer service?
Answer:
Customer service contact information is located in this post, below the FAQ.

Question: Should I call or email customer service?
Answer:
CAGs have reported mixed experiences with both calling and emailing Hastings Customer Service. It is up to your preference. If you are contacting them regarding credit card issues, it may be best to call rather than put highly sensitive information in an email. If you call during business hours, your issue may be resolved right then over the phone. You might also have to wait on hold for a long period of time during peak hours. If you email, you may have to wait up to 48 hours to get a response, especially if you email over the weekend. Often the email replies fail to understand your entire issue with your order. Customer Service contact information is located in this post, below the FAQ.

Question: What is GoHastings.Com return policy?
Answer:
The GoHastings.Com website states their return policy is as follows:

All items purchased through gohastings.com may be returned for a full refund of the purchase price, if they meet the following criteria:

• All new items are in original unopened packaging.
  • Return of product is within 30 days of shipping date.
  • Returned product(s) must be in the original packaging and include any manuals, cabling and accessories in saleable condition.
  • Video Game Systems that are found defective within the 30 day window must make a return using the manufacturer's warranty.
Shipping and handling charges are not refundable.
Note: Products purchased through goHastings.com may not be returned to a physical store location for refund.
However, this can be confusing considering used items, such as games, come in opened packaging. Normally GoHastings has no problem with returns for defective or incorrect used game shipments that are promptly requested. At the very least, if a game item was found to be defective within 30 days of the shipping date, you would have a good argument toward customer service that you should be able to return the game item. Abusing the return policy to replace your own broken items with items from GoHastings inventory wouldn't be a good idea.

Miscellaneous
Question: Does GoHastings.Com collect sales tax?
Answer:
According to GoHastings.Com:

Currently goHastings.com only charges sales tax in states where we have a physical presence. Sales taxes are calculated during the ordering process and will show tax charged for the delivery destination, based on current tax rates. Shipping charges may also be subject to tax in certain states.
Currently sales tax is automatically applied in the following states:

• Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Arizona
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • Oklahoma
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

Question: Where are Hastings brick and mortar retail stores located?
Answer:
Question: Are the online prices the same in store? Are the online specials valid in store?
Answer:
Generally speaking, no. For used items and for some new items, GoHastings.Com uses algorithms where prices can change multiple times in one day. Hastings retail locations have their own set prices. See your local store for more information. Additionally, online special sales and promotions are not valid in store. Sometimes Hastings runs the same pricing online and in store for certain items.

Question: Are the brick and mortar retail location advertisements valid online?
Answer:
Generally the prices in the retail location advertisements are not valid on GoHastings.Com. Sometimes Hastings runs the same pricing online and in store for certain items.

Customer Service Contact Information
Customer Service Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday 9 am through 9 pm CST
Toll Free Phone Number: (877)-HASTINGS (427-8464)
Fax: (806) 467-8330

Email: service[at]gohastings.com
PM the GoHastings Representative on CAG: gohastings (John) [Not active since October 2013]

Regular Mail:
Hastings Internet, Inc.
3601 Plains Blvd.
Amarillo, TX 79102

Comments to the President:
John Marmaduke, President & CEO RIP In Peace

Alan Van Ongevalle, President & COO
Hastings Entertainment, Inc.
PO Box 35350
Amarillo, TX 79120-5350

GoHastings.Com / Hastings Entertainment Online Information
Retail Store Weekly Ad: http://www.gohastings.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=StoreAd
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gohastings?sk=wall
Twitter: @gohastings
Google+: https://plus.google.com/107834874893127887270/posts
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gohastings/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/gohastings
Is the GoHastings.Com server down for everyone or just me?: Click here to check

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mask.air.raid']Cool. Nice price on that one.

The weird thing is that most of the ones that have decent prices are not in stock. It's like they purposely raised the prices on everything that they have and they excluded the other items.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say it's like they did that. I'd say that's exactly the crap they pulled.

[quote name='hamokmonky']If most of your wishlist is books, then that makes sense, as most of the book prices on my wishlist didnt change either, but I dont buy very many books from hastings, so that is not typically a priority for mentioning for me. DVDs, Blurays, and Games seem to have had an across the board raise except for the rare new release bluray I found that dropped significantly in price (hmmm, mistake?) everything else went up about $10, except for a few more expensive items that either didnt qualify for the sale, or shot up $20 instead of 10....[/QUOTE]

I have a crapton of graphic novels, but I also have a whole lot of DVDs (not Blu-rays since I live in the past) and probably 15-20 games that are never in stock or are hardly worth the prices Hastings asks for them on any given day. The DVDs and games on my wish list that were in stock didn't go up in price overnight, but they've been so high for months now that 35% off doesn't even come close to the old every day prices.

[quote name='mask.air.raid']Cool. Nice price on that one.

The weird thing is that most of the ones that have decent prices are not in stock. It's like they purposely raised the prices on everything that they have and they excluded the other items.[/QUOTE]

The prices of things not in stock are not what the prices would be if the item was in stock. With used items on GoHastings, when a used item comes into stock, they price the used items against Amazon Marketplace sellers, more or less. In the past few months though, it's like they came up with a new algorithm where they still do the pricing against Amazon Marketplace, but then raise the price even more on their own website. It's now resulting in a comedy of errors where used prices are routinely higher than new prices. Numerous people have brought this to their attention on Facebook and they claim to be "working on it." I don't think it's an error - I think upper management is dictating what kind of pricing and profit margins the online division is supposed to be pulling on used merchandise, and so the poor people like Billy May have to sit here and take shit from the customer base on the internet when there's nothing he can do to fix things.

Well crap, out of luck with 1 min left on promo and finding that used hitman absolution. :p

Did get some back titles at least:

PS3 - after Discount
RUSE - 8.12
Monsters Vs Aliens 7.30
Legend of the Guardians 5.69
No More Heros 2 13.00
Adventures of tintin 3.99
Get up and dance 3.16
Bakugan Defenders of the Core 4.75
Lego Indiana jones 2 6.48
Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce 6.60

I also made a last minute order:

all after discount:

Bluray:

Terminator 2 $3.25
Predators $3.12
Jonah Hex $2.34
This is 40. $7.46
House of 1000 Corpses. $3.25
Devil's Rejects. $2.44
League of Extraordinary Gentlemen $2.71
Fight Club $5.15
First Blood $2.44
First Blood Part 2. $2.58
Rambo 3 $4.71
Street Fighter. $3.25

DVD

Choke. $1.95
Compliance. $5.30

Total after shipping. $63.39

Not too shabby. I know a lot of the blus I got can be had for like $5 but thought zi got a great deal on This is 40 and Predators.

[quote name='pixi']Is it possible to lock down my prices? I have a debit coming... Eventually, but all I have is paypal rn.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but... what? I don't know what you're looking for - this is an online store, not eBay. You can't pay later like if you win an auction. There's no layaway like this is K-Mart brick and mortar. On top of that, used prices fluctuate daily and this was essentially a one day sale. Stock is extremely limited on used items and is always first come first serve. Do any online stores let you "lock down prices" to pay some other time and hold items for you?

So this was new - I ordered like $125 worth of stuff from their Comic Book Day sale. Particularly, a handful of new books including Absolute Watchmen, Sleeper Omnibus, and Fear Agent Library Edition Vol. 1. I think the Absolute Watchmen and Sleeper Omnibus worked out to about $30 each and Fear Agent was about $20. So quite good prices for brand new sealed books. I'm sure if Hastings knew what they were doing they wouldn't have included them in the sale.

Hastings shipped Watchmen, Fear Agent, two other new regular sized HCs and one small used TPB to me via UPS and required signature confirmation... Not anyone's signature at my household - MY signature was required. What a strange shipping method to use (given their propensity for USPS - and I've never heard of signature confirmation with them before, much less demanding the actual recipient's signature), and a real pain in the ass since I wasn't at home at 1 PM on a weekday to sign for it. It's also strange they required the signature confirmation in the first place - there was only $65 (paid for) worth of goods in the box, though the actual value was much higher, but I don't think the minimum wage employee packing the box would have known that.

So last night I had UPS hold it and went down to the UPS distribution center at lunch time today to pick up the package. I figure "Its 16.5 pounds of books, surely they shipped it in a box." Well, they did, but the box was double the size of even the oversized books if not larger. It was actually this long rectangular box that the Jiffy padded envelopes came to them in. They packed the box with those plastic bags filled with air and one foam block. So of course the weight of 16 pounds shifting in a too large box crushed those air bags, making them absolutely worthless. I think the foam block managed to save the contents. There was no real damage to the books that I've spotted, other than the corners of the books maybe not being as crisp as they should be for new books. But that's what one gets for having 16 pounds floating around a box.

Yesterday my Sleeper Omnibus arrived in a giant bubble mailer. This Omnibus is a huge book, it must weigh at least 5 pounds. The bubble mailer was tearing at the corners of the book. The last three times Hastings pulled this shit with a bubble mailer the oversized book took a lot of damage. They got lucky this time and the book made it with just slightly dulled corners.

So while my books arrived like 95% undamaged, it's just ridiculous to think that this company still hasn't figured out how to ship things. My books arrived fine despite the poor packing - a true miracle - that's the exception, not the rule. These large oversized books are expensive because they are directed toward collectors. Hastings should be taking extra care to make sure they don't arrive damaged - because a returned damage product is going to be worth less to them, and they're going to eat a lot of money paying to ship it to someone and then eat the return shipping costs when stuff inevitably arrives damaged and not in the condition it should have arrived in.

It really shows a blatant disrespect toward their customer base. I realize I got a good deal on those books, but it doesn't matter what I paid. Just because they put something on sale doesn't mean they should ship it like a monkey's asshole would. It's a total lack of respect for me as a customer, it's a lack of respect for the money I've given them, and it's a fundamental flaw in their understanding the products they are selling and how they should be treated.

And it's not just these large ass collector books, or graphic novels - there's numerous instances of video games and DVDs and CDs and everything else arriving destroyed because they don't care how they ship anything out. We're still dealing with those crap poly bags several months later, albeit on a much smaller scale. People on Facebook frequently post pictures of the latest destroyed DVD cases they receive.

How in the world has Hastings not hired someone who has worked with a company who knows how to ship things? How in the world did it take so long for Hastings to realize poly mailers were a problem - and even more concerning is that they didn't foresee the problem and stop themselves from going down the poly mailer path. How does this company not have a supply of proper boxes to ship larger items in? I'm all for recycling boxes, I do it all the time for my personal eBay sales, but I find boxes that properly FIT the items I'm shipping. I'm just some joe schmo who puts more care into how I ship things, and this public company that trades on NASDAQ couldn't give a shit less. How have they not bought a clue from Amazon - the "1A3" boxes Amazon uses for so many things are perfect - find out who sells them and stock up on them. The boxes weigh under seven ounces. That's like a five ounce difference than a bubble mailer, but when you're shipping heavy items, the nominal cost of mailing 5 more ounces is going to more than make up for what you have to pay when you're on the hook for a 5 POUND return package.

It really seems like there's a lot of rot at the highest levels of corporate - and a lot of ex-employees seem to place the blame on John Marmaduke. It seems like their business philosophy for the online portion of the business is two-fold: 1) Have no idea how to properly price items on the website while having no idea how to have a proper sale promotion & 2) fuck the customer, just send things out to them as long as we make more money than we lose on returns. That's no way to run a corporation.

I'm not saying this rant like I'm going to stop shopping with them - as long as they continue to run ridiculous sales on products I'm interested in and returns are still possible, I'll do it. Long ago I stopped with their used movies, their pricing on used games is comical - all I have left are used books and sales like 5 for $25 where they must be losing money hand over fist unless they're literally giving pennies for the trade in value on these books. Eventually this company will be out of business all on their own, so this isn't meant to discourage people from shopping with them - the ship is already sinking and I think most people are aware of that before they get onboard. But I just needed to rant at Hastings again.

Good read. I completely agree with you. I remember last year I bought an 18" Terminator Endoskeleton figure from them. Not only was the figure packaging completely destroyed (I was opening it anyway), but get this...it shipping covered in BROWN WRAPPING PAPER. NO box at all, lol.

Needless to say, last time I ever ordered a figure from them.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']Good read. I completely agree with you. I remember last year I bought an 18" Terminator Endoskeleton figure from them. Not only was the figure packaging completely destroyed (I was opening it anyway), but get this...it shipping covered in BROWN WRAPPING PAPER. NO box at all, lol.

Needless to say, last time I ever ordered a figure from them.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I forgot about action figures. I don't partake but I know people here do, and I've seen pictures on their Facebook page recently of some crushed packaging. A lot of those action figures aren't toys to be played with - they're marketed right at adults with extra income as collectibles which means the packaging needs to not be thrashed. You'd think they could invest in some boxes for those as well. It's like Hastings is jumping into all of these different niches desperately trying to cling to business - comic books, action figures, etc. - but they don't understand the product they're selling and they really don't understand how to sell and ship those products online.

Today I had an omnibus arrive in a real, genuine, authentic cardboard box. And a trade that was signed with a metallic sharpie by Rosario Dawson.

So, weird, unexpected, and entertaining on both fronts.

[quote name='Gycot']Today I had an omnibus arrive in a real, genuine, authentic cardboard box. And a trade that was signed with a metallic sharpie by Rosario Dawson.

So, weird, unexpected, and entertaining on both fronts.[/QUOTE]

The spaghetti monster in the sky was looking out for you today.

Ok, I'm sorry that a lot of you guys have had negative reviews from goHastings. My experience with them has always been fairly good, but keep in mind I have only ordered video games from them (used), no DVDs or comics.

Mostly, the disks have been in good shape and the cases/manuals usually always there (I think they sent the wrong case once but the right disk. They could have just as easily have sent the disc in just a white sleeve, but I appreciate them giving me the case). I have bought a total of about 15 games from them, fairly cheap. The only thing that gets me is the shipping. It's a little steep sometimes, and I wish the discount would apply along with free shipping, but oh well.

My experience has been just fine... No issue yet (*knock on wood*) and I certainly hope there isn't one in the near future either.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Meh..diesnt really matter if people have negative experiences....majority still buy more from them afterwards.....sadly...including myself.[/QUOTE]

Yep. I just dropped more money tonight since some more graphic novels I've been eying came back into stock. At what breaks down to barely over $5 a pop with shipping, the prices are still massively in my favor. It's really hard to find a lot of newer Marvel and DC books for $5 shipped - whether its on Amazon Marketplace, eBay and a couple of other online bookstores. You're lucky to find $5 base price plus shipping. Hastings' price makes it such a low risk that it's worth it with the 5/$25 offers.

If something is heavily damaged in shipping I'll return it, like the last time they used a poly bag and the bag and book got shredded. I didn't even open it up - just returned it to them exactly how it arrived within a spare bubble mailer - so I shipped back their damaged product better than they shipped it to me. I still expect the cheap books to be packaged properly, but most of the time the newer non-poly bag mailers suffice for one or two books. It's reasonable to put a standard hardcover in a sturdy bubble mailer, it's just not reasonable to stick a 5 pounder in there like I ranted about earlier. Things get messy when they cram too many books into those mailers instead of using a properly fitted box.

That is actually what I'm fearing with this order tonight - I think I'm going to get multiple books from one location so I hope they just pack them sensibly. Like I've said before, I'll ride out the good deals until the very end. And if they kill 5/$25 or 7/$21, then I guess that will be the end of that.

finally put down some money on a hastings sale. Its been since last year that Ive spent more than $100 on a hastings sale (which used to be the norm). I dont know as though things are "back to normal" but I dont think they messed with the prices this time so I was able to get some good deals.

Really dont like there prices anymore until I look at what I'd pay anywhere else for the same thing.

Anyway bought some blus and a dvd for $35:

Army Of Darkness
Friends With Benefits
Horrible Bosses
Night At The Museum
The Descent
The Hills Have Eyes
17 Again
Idiocracy

I was able to snag the blu-ray version of Inuyasha: The Final Act Set 2 for $10.00 :D I also got Silence of the Lambs, Spiderman, and Spiderman 2 for $1.03 each, for a final total of $16.93. :cool:

[quote name='heatfan1121']I was able to snag the blu-ray version of Inuyasha: The Final Act Set 2 for $10.00 :D[/QUOTE]

Sweet deal, thanks for mentioning it! Last set I needed to have the complete InuYasha series. :)

Still waiting in shipping confirmation on half my last order yet here I am making another order.

All bluray

After discount:

Life of Pi 9.00
Where the Wild Things Are. 1.95
The Campaign. 4.58
American Reunion. 1.93
Casa de mi Padre. 2.37
Jackie Brown. 3.51

Total after shipping: 29.10

Cant beat that.

My cart had $100+ in movies, so I had to cut it to $19.13.
Was going to buy Matrix Trilogy and Back to the Future Trilogy each ~$15, decided against it. I set my price for them ~$10 each set since the first of each set is the movie I would watch more than once.

Here is what I got for $19.13 shipped - All Blu-Ray:
Friday $2.25
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon $2.56
The Fifth Element $3.51
Office Space $2.50
Pulp Fiction $3.51
Total $14.33 + S&H $4.80 = $19.13

Cheap and good movies, no tax and no trading needed to get them cheap.
Happy mothers day to me and I'm not a mother nor have children lol.
Haven't bought anything from GH since last year! Good to see prices seem to have started to normalize, now if we could get this w/ free shipping it would be amazing!

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Still waiting in shipping confirmation on half my last order yet here I am making another order.

All bluray

After discount:

Life of Pi 9.00
Where the Wild Things Are. 1.95
The Campaign. 4.58
American Reunion. 1.93
Casa de mi Padre. 2.37
Jackie Brown. 3.51

Total after shipping: 29.10

Cant beat that.[/QUOTE]

Nice price on Pi!
But, Jackie Brown can be had for $5 brand new at Walmart :)

Bought 4 Books
Halo: First Strike
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
and A Feast of Crows
The discount didn't apply to A Feast of Crows though, all books were used, so I guess I will have to call them tomorrow to get my $3.20 back.

[quote name='unluckynumber11']Bought 4 Books
Halo: First Strike
A Game of Thrones
A Storm of Swords
and A Feast of Crows
The discount didn't apply to A Feast of Crows though, all books were used, so I guess I will have to call them tomorrow to get my $3.20 back.[/QUOTE]

Actually it's on all "qualifying titles" for these sales usually, and is always noted on the sale banners for these sales. There's really no rhyme or reason of what titles are left out or included in each of these sales, but there's usually always something that doesn't get included in these sales, so you won't always get a discount on every used item since they may not be a qualified title.

[quote name='Squarehard']Actually it's on all "qualifying titles" for these sales usually, and is always noted on the sale banners for these sales. There's really no rhyme or reason of what titles are left out or included in each of these sales, but there's usually always something that doesn't get included in these sales, so you won't always get a discount on every used item since they may not be a qualified title.[/QUOTE]

Yea i added about 10 things to my cart and it only discounted 3 of them. As far as I know, you can't search "qualified titles".

[quote name='Pookymeister']Yea i added about 10 things to my cart and it only discounted 3 of them. As far as I know, you can't search "qualified titles".[/QUOTE]

The only way is to click on the sale banner which will bring you to a page like this,

http://www.gohastings.com/catalog/s...D&podName=Used&from=tippytop&utm_nooverride=1

And those sections will show you all of the qualifying titles, however there are usually thousands, and sometimes tens of thousands titles listed in some of these sections, so not like it would be easy to search through anyways, but there is kind of a way to do it, just not very practical. :*(

[quote name='Squarehard']The only way is to click on the sale banner which will bring you to a page like this,

http://www.gohastings.com/catalog/s...D&podName=Used&from=tippytop&utm_nooverride=1

And those sections will show you all of the qualifying titles, however there are usually thousands, and sometimes tens of thousands titles listed in some of these sections, so not like it would be easy to search through anyways, but there is kind of a way to do it, just not very practical. :*([/QUOTE]

This is the only way. I wish I could remove all the out of stock items off the lists though, I bet I would buy X2 as much stuff if I see something and I impulse buy it. I don't see it being that hard to implement on their side.

AFAIK some of the BD titles that are not part of the promotion:
Armageddon
and the transformers set

[quote name='Squarehard']Actually it's on all "qualifying titles" for these sales usually, and is always noted on the sale banners for these sales. There's really no rhyme or reason of what titles are left out or included in each of these sales, but there's usually always something that doesn't get included in these sales, so you won't always get a discount on every used item since they may not be a qualified title.[/QUOTE]

The thing is that the book WAS on the list of qualifying items, but I don't know if it was the version I bought, the whole things is a mess, I'm gonna have to call them tomorrow. But thanks.

I always double check my cart because random things don't qualify for the discount sometimes. I hope they start having these sales again. I see they still exclude games/GNs from the sales. Wonder if that's a result of a certain somebody who was ordering $1000s worth of them.

The links in the first post are the links directly to the "qualifying titles." If you venture outside of those links you're going to have a bad time.

As for eliminating the out of stock items, that's harder to do. But the links to the "qualifying titles" links are the best you're going to get. Usually they filter out the OOS items, but they only do it during the nightly refresh. Chances are if you see something OOS, it means it was in stock earlier today but someone bought it. Of course there are some titles that hang onto these lists even though they've been out of stock for a while.

Oh it's not just "same title, so it should qualify." It's entirely possible that say a movie has had two releases, like maybe a Blu-ray release and a 3D Blu-ray release, and only the former is a qualifying title for the sale. If the discount isn't applying in the cart, don't buy the item, save yourself some headaches because CS isn't going to be able to do much for you unless you get extremely lucky. Again, stick to the qualifying titles link and stick with the exact product version that qualifies.

Man. I've never had a problem with GoHastings prior to the latest order I placed. Mind you, sometimes items I have ordered have come in less than desired condition, but I sucked it up as they still worked.

But this order pisses me off. When I was at confirmation after putting all my info, it was at a set amount. Then after I hit confirm, and item miraculously jumped $25, and so did my bill up $16.

It's not alot of money, but it still upsets me as I probably would have replaced the item in my cart with another as I would not have spent that much even with a sale.

Emailed customer service to see if this can be resolved, but I am not expecting anything from them.

[quote name='3GSid']Man. I've never had a problem with GoHastings prior to the latest order I placed. Mind you, sometimes items I have ordered have come in less than desired condition, but I sucked it up as they still worked.

But this order pisses me off. When I was at confirmation after putting all my info, it was at a set amount. Then after I hit confirm, and item miraculously jumped $25, and so did my bill up $16.

It's not alot of money, but it still upsets me as I probably would have replaced the item in my cart with another as I would not have spent that much even with a sale.

Emailed customer service to see if this can be resolved, but I am not expecting anything from them.[/QUOTE]

You probably were checking out right as the price updates were doing their nightly change. It's absurd their cart system doesn't either lock in the price for X amount of time once you're in checkout, or it doesn't reject your hitting the order/confirmation button to say "Hey prices just went up! You sure you still want to order?"

I've gotten into the habit of taking a screen shot of the page before I hit the final order button, just in case.

After complaining about a lack of good boxes from them... I got a decent box. But only because the books were oddly oversized so I don't think they would have fit in bubble mailers. Or I got lucky and someone boxed them despite any bubble mailers that would have fit.

EDIT:

4e5466b7dc69f1314154167_blog.jpg

It looks like Hastings is set up to take PayPal as a form of payment. At least it shows as an option in my cart. Good luck to you brave souls who test out that option for the rest of us.

[quote name='kodave']After complaining about a lack of good boxes from them... I got a decent box. But only because the books were oddly oversized so I don't think they would have fit in bubble mailers. Or I got lucky and someone boxed them despite any bubble mailers that would have fit.

EDIT:

4e5466b7dc69f1314154167_blog.jpg

It looks like Hastings is set up to take PayPal as a form of payment. At least it shows as an option in my cart. Good luck to you brave souls who test out that option for the rest of us.[/QUOTE]

Are you fucking kidding me I just bought a fucking debit card and payed $6 to place this fucking order

Still a good deal I guess. They should reduce the shipping after a few items but I feel like they wouldn't make money.

Also I just got like 10 confirmation emails is that ok? I'm really hoping I'm not gonna end up with 12 bubble mailers at my house different days

[quote name='pixi']Are you fucking kidding me I just bought a fucking debit card and payed $6 to place this fucking order[/QUOTE]

You should have a bank debit card, which is free. I've honestly never heard of a bank charging you for a debit card, since that is part of their service. And if you don't have a bank account, you seriously should; there's nothing wrong with banks, and anyone who says otherwise is too paranoid. :p

That's actually good news, because Paypal also has a credit card (Smart Connect) which means you can buy more and pay it off later. APR is a little crazy (22% or something) but it's nice for responsible adults who pay their credit lines off in time. ;)

[quote name='pixi']Are you fucking kidding me I just bought a fucking debit card and payed $6 to place this fucking order

Still a good deal I guess. They should reduce the shipping after a few items but I feel like they wouldn't make money.

Also I just got like 10 confirmation emails is that ok? I'm really hoping I'm not gonna end up with 12 bubble mailers at my house different days[/QUOTE]

Did you read the confirmation emails? There should be a tracking number. Compare the tracking numbers. You might be getting 12 individual packages or one box with 12 items in it. But you had to have known either was a possibility going into this.

[quote name='pixi']Are you fucking kidding me I just bought a fucking debit card and payed $6 to place this fucking order

Also I just got like 10 confirmation emails is that ok? I'm really hoping I'm not gonna end up with 12 bubble mailers at my house different days[/QUOTE]

Ive never actually paid for a debit card, sounds to me like you didnt get the right card!

Also, why is getting 12 bubble mailers really an issue?? If you dont want the mailers you just throw them away.... otherwise they are super useful for mailing things. Personally I prefer getting them in multiple packages because when everything is stuffed together they dont seem to package them well so you wind up getting a lot of damage.

My recent haul from the 40% off sale:
The good:
DVD season set (looks perfect)
DVD season set (looks perfect except for a small tear in the plastic of the case)
2 Blu-ray season set (look perfect)
2 Blu-ray movies (look perfect)
NONE OF MY STUFF CAME IN POLY MAILERS!!!!!!!

The bad:
Blu-ray movie (sent completely wrong movie)
DVD season set (looks perfect, skips in 5 places in the first half an hour)
Blu-ray movie (rental when ordered used)
Blu-ray movie (artwork completely torn up)

So far I am 6/10. Not the best percentage, usually Im close to 8 or 9. None of the problems were caused by packaging or mailing, it was all definitely done prior to mailing out.

Still have:
8 bluray movies outstanding
1 bluray season outstanding

Received a package from Hastings today. One of those super large yellow bubble mailers. On it were two stickers stating that the package had been received by my local PO unsealed and another that said it had been received damage. The package had been ripped open from the top where it was sealed, then resealed with USPS tape. Inside were supposed to be three Punisher HCs and two Moon Knight HCs. Well, the two Moon Knight books were missing and two of the three Punisher books were damaged.

In all seriousness, I can't give a bigger FU to Hastings than I can right now. There's is no reason to ever stick FIVE hardcover books into an envelope much bigger than them where they are free to shift around and get damaged. On top of that, five books floating around in a too big envelope means it's extremely easy to figure out what books are inside, especially if you've ever had a hardcover graphic novel in your hands. I assume the USPS employee who stole the books also might have handled other orders of mine from Hastings and comic book shops online, tipping him or her off to the contents.

This wouldn't have been as likely or even possible if Hastings shipped the FIVE BOOKS in a APPROPRIATELY SIZED BOX. It took the USPS employee one quick rip to tear open the flimsy paper envelope, reach inside, and grab the books he wanted. It takes much more work to slice open a properly sealed box and rifle through the box contents.

I just ranted about it a few posts ago and here I am again - Hastings does not give a shit about me as a customer and they do not give a shit about the money I spend with them when they do stuff like shove five hardcover books into one envelope and expect it to be okay when it gets to my doorstep.

I doubt anyone is stealing them. Packages get ripped open all the time at the sorting/processing centers and they try to put the contents back in the package as best they can but sometimes by the time they realize the package is torn, some of the contents are long gone down the conveyer belt. I had a package sent to me in a box with 12 videogames and a stack of worthless papers. It tore open and when I got it all it had was the videogames, no papers.

Received 2 blurays I ordered recently and they came as rental only blus when they have it listed as a bluray/dvd/digutal copy pack. I know the digital copies probably wouldn't of came with them or would have been used but would gave been nice to have gotten the DVDs with them. They are also stripped of bonus features. But they dud come in pretty good/great condition. Not to upset with Whete the Wild Things Are since I only paid like $2 for it but I paid like $9 for This Is 40. I'm busting hoping the rest of my order foesnt show up like this, especially Life of Pi.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I doubt anyone is stealing them. Packages get ripped open all the time at the sorting/processing centers and they try to put the contents back in the package as best they can but sometimes by the time they realize the package is torn, some of the contents are long gone down the conveyer belt. I had a package sent to me in a box with 12 videogames and a stack of worthless papers. It tore open and when I got it all it had was the videogames, no papers.[/QUOTE]

To me, this looks like a very deliberate tear job. It doesn't look like the books ripped through the shoddy packaging at the point they did - because I've had that happen before. And the last time there were too many books in a mailer and things ripped in the sorting machines, the package was put into a USPS bag that said something like "Your package jammed our sorting machines because it was improperly packaged."

This package on the other hand was placed by someone from the sort facility into a bin and onto a truck to my post office and no one tagged it as damaged until it got to my PO. That makes the whole thing incredibly suspicious to me. The sort facility should have seen this and tagged it, especially if it burst open in sorting and left two books lying around.

This is the rip at the top of the package:
15gxdg5.jpg

2yv1575.jpg

This shows the envelope was still sealed, then ripped open from the top. It is possible the books could have been forced out but that rip looks more like someone hastily used their finger to gouge it open. Like have you ever opened a letter without using a letter opener? It's not very smooth. This reminds me of that.

The whole back of the envelope:
fz1zeo.jpg

Front of the envelope:
2uyhd6q.jpg

And I'll put it this way, even if the books weren't stolen - Hastings still deserves a big middle finger for packing the books this way that they'd get lost and destroyed in the shipping process. It's still a huge insult to me as a customer.

And employees do steal things - including comic books - from the mail. Toward the end of 2012 I bought a pretty rare hardcover graphic novel off an Amazon marketplace seller. It turns out an employee stole the book out of the package at some halfway point sort facility and the post office returned the mailing label to the seller.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Received 2 blurays I ordered recently and they came as rental only blus when they have it listed as a bluray/dvd/digutal copy pack. I know the digital copies probably wouldn't of came with them or would have been used but would gave been nice to have gotten the DVDs with them. They are also stripped of bonus features. But they dud come in pretty good/great condition. Not to upset with Whete the Wild Things Are since I only paid like $2 for it but I paid like $9 for This Is 40. I'm busting hoping the rest of my order foesnt show up like this, especially Life of Pi.[/QUOTE]

This is why I won't buy DVDs from them except on rare occasion, and only then its usually box sets where I can't get rental copies because rental copies don't exist. Definitely contact them about it and get a refund. Don't let them get away with it. In my opinion it's borderline fraud and definitely deliberate negligence with what they do sending out the rental copies as used copies of the retail SKUs.

bread's done
Back