The Last Days of the Hastings / GoHastings Universe - Check the latest posts!

kodave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION IN THIS THREAD, READ THE FAQ BELOW!

GoHastings.Com Promotional Deals and Codes

AMARILLO, Texas - Texas-based Hastings Entertainment Inc. has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Company officials say the reorganization filing includes its parent company, Draw Another Circle, and sister brands Movie Stop and SPImages.

A statement posted Monday on the Hastings website says the Chapter 11 process will help prepare the business for an intended sale, while providing protections and financing to continue operations. Further financial details weren’t released.

Hastings will no longer accept or honor deposits for movie purchases and will no longer rent games. Hastings gift cards expire July 13, 2016. The company’s buyback program has been suspended.
Full List Of Online Coupon Codes

In-Store Sales / Discounts / Liquidation will vary from Online Sale / Coupon offerings

Check latest posts in thread for more specific updates

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Please read me before posting a question!

Click the "Show Spoiler" button below to see the FAQ
General
Question: What is Hastings / GoHastings.Com?
Answer:
Founded in 1968, Hastings Entertainment, Inc. is a leading multimedia entertainment retailer that combines the sale of new and used books, videos, video games and CDs, and trends and consumer electronics merchandise, with the rental of videos and video games in a superstore format. Currently there are 146 superstores. Hastings also operates www.goHastings.com, an e-commerce Internet Web site that makes available to customers new and used entertainment products and unique, contemporary gifts and toys.

Question: Gee, this is a really long FAQ. Doesn't Hasting have their own FAQ for customers?
Answer:
Hastings does have their own FAQ. You can read Hastings' official FAQ by clicking here. However, this FAQ goes into many details that Hastings' own FAQ does not. So be sure to read through all of this before asking a question!

NEW!
Question: How can I filter and sort Used Video Games to remove the out of stock items?
Answer:
Find the "Stock" dropdown menu option when browsing the used game selection and choose "In Stock." Games that have been purchased in the past day and are now out of stock may still appear.

NEW!
Question: Where can I find clearance video games and other clearance items?
Answer:
Clearance Video Games are in New condition; Plus $2.28 shipping per game
Click Here For Overall Video Game Clearance Items > Sort by Platform on the drop down menu
Click Here For Overall Clearance Items

Game / Item Condition
Question: What is the difference between "used" and "previously viewed" items on GoHastings.Com?
Answer:
"Used" games and movies are items that have been traded in to a Hastings retail location by a customer. "Previously viewed" games and movies are items that Hastings has rented out to customers at their retail locations but are now selling to the public.

When it comes to video games, most CAGs report no real difference between the two other than some ancillary stickers, but both "used" and "previously viewed" games are subject to being scratched, abused, or incomplete depending how well it was previously taken care of.

When it comes to movies, the "Previously Viewed" rental versions often lack features from the full retail versions and may come in different boxes, have different UPCs, have white barcode stickers around the center ring of the disc, etc.

You may encounter a situation where a customer has purchased a "previously used" item from Hastings, then traded it back into Hastings, thus making it a "used" item. This practiced is frowned upon by most customers, but Hastings has shown next to no incentive to change it. It mostly happens with movies.

Question: Do used and previously viewed video games come complete with the original case and manual?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com states as follows:

Due to the nature of used products; booklet inserts, digital movie downloads and manuals are not guaranteed in our used video games, movies and CDs.
However, the vast majority of CAGs have reported that a large majority of their games do arrive complete. Incomplete games are more of an exception rather than the rule.

Question: Are used collector's editions and limited editions of games guaranteed to come with extras like bonus discs, statutes, and other items?
Answer:
No. Hopefully the used CE and LE games would at least come with all of the discs, but this is not guaranteed. And there is absolutely no guarantee other physical items or "swag" will be included for these used copies. However, CAGs have reported that they have purchased used CE and LE games and received all of the extras. If you order a used CE or LE and it does not come with the extras, just contact customer service and ask about a return/refund.

Question: What condition do "used" and "previously viewed" discs come in?
Answer:
Mosts CAGs seem to get games in good, playable condition if not better. However, there have been cases of receiving a game so scratched up that it would not load/play. These games can be returned to GoHastings.Com at no cost to the customer for a full refund.

NEW!
Question: Are New condition games factory sealed or gutted and re-sealed?
Answer:
As of mid-2013, Hastings retail stores have adopted a policy of gutting games then storing the game discs, manuals and DLC papers separately. This is so they do not have to lock up games or put security cases on games yet still allow the customer to physically handle the boxes in-store. When a new game is sold, Hasting will either re-seal the game or they will place the game in a bag that cannot be opened if you want to return the game as new.

Shipping
Question: Why are my items shipping individually? Why does GoHastings.Com include a shipping charge for each individual item ordered?
Answer:
Hastings does not have warehouses for fulfilling internet orders. All items are shipped from individual brick and mortar retail stores. If your order contains multiple items, your order may ship from multiple locations at different times if one location does not have all of the items you ordered. Because items could ship from more than one location, GoHastings.Com charges a per item shipping fee. Yes this can be frustrating, so its best to either get over it if you intend to shop at GoHastings.Com, or if you can't get over it, shop elsewhere. Like all "deals," include the shipping price per item into consideration for the total cost of the game being purchased.

UPDATED!
Question: How much is shipping per item?
Answer:
Video Games and PC software ship for $2.28 per item.

CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays ship for $1.29 per item.

Books have a per-order charge of $3.00 plus $0.99 shipping per book ordered.

Game Hardware, Electronics and Trends have a per-order charge of $1.99 plus $0.10 shipping per ounce for each item ordered.

Full shipping information, including expedited shipping prices, can be found HERE.

Occasionally, GoHastings.Com offers free or reduced shipping promotions.

Please note, books used to ship for $0.96 per order with no per item charge but Hastings discontinued that pricing scheme as of January 10, 2014. CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays used to ship for $0.96 per item, but Hastings raised that price to the current cost as of approximately May 25, 2014.

Question: How long does it take GoHastings.Com to ship my order?
Answer:
Standard Shipping:
Order processed within 48 Hours
Shipping time is 3-10 Days

Priority / Expedited Mail:
Order processed within 48 Hours
Shipping time is 2 - 3 Days

Question: What service does GoHastings.Com use to ship items?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com primarily ships items using the United States Postal Service (USPS). Video games ship via USPS First Class Mail. Books, movies and music ship via USPS Media Mail. Larger orders may ship via UPS.

Question: Will GoHastings.Com give me a tracking number for each shipment?
Answer:
Every shipment usually has a tracking number associated with it. If you did not see a tracking number in the shipping confirmation email, check your order history on GoHastings.Com.

Question: What will GoHastings.Com ship my items in?
Answer:
It will vary. Hastings might use a yellow paper mailer with bubble padding on the inside. They might use a white plastic envelope with bubble padding on the inside. They might use a stiffer paper/lighter cardboard envelope with no padding. Hastings will try to jam as many items into any of the above envelope options as possible, resulting in frequently damaged books, broken game/movie/CD cases, etc. On rare occasions, someone at Hastings will have the common sense to put larger or heavier items into a box for safer shipping, but even then they will neglect to use padding. Hastings used to ship items in a white plastic poly-bag with absolutely no padding or protection, but after numerous complaints, the company claims these are supposed to be phased out and no longer in use. They still pop up from time to time.

Order Cancellations / Out Of Stock Items
Question: Why was an item cancelled out of my order? Why is that item back in stock right now?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com fills their stock from their Hastings brick and mortar retail locations. Additionally, GoHastings.Com sells items on Amazon and eBay. Their online inventory system is antiquated and does not update stock instantaneously across physical store locations, GoHastings.Com, Amazon, and eBay. Therefore if someone bought the same item first in store/on Amazon/on eBay, their order will be fulfilled first and your item will be cancelled if there is not enough inventory to go around, even though you thought the item was in stock. Yes this sucks, but now you know about it so you can simply choose not to shop at GoHastings in the future if you can't deal with it. No need to endlessly complain about it in posts. Consider writing a letter to the president of Hastings, whose contact info can be found below this FAQ.

Because Hastings' physical store locations accept trade-ins for the used items that they sell, an item that was out of stock may quickly come back into stock if someone trades in the same item, or if someone returns the same item. However, as stated above, GoHastings.Com has an antiquated online system, and they will not be able to fulfill any items on your order once they have been canceled. You will have to re-order the item, at which time the promotion you initially ordered under may have expired. You can try to contact customer service to see if they will create a new order for you with the price point your originally ordered under.

Question: I just ordered something and now it shows as out of stock, either on my order history page or on the item's page. Will my order be canceled?
Answer:
Probably not, but it is still possible. GoHastings.Com updates its inventory count immediately when sales from the website are made. Therefore if they had one item, and you ordered it, it will now show up as out of stock on GoHastings.Com. However, if someone ordered it off Hastings' eBay or Amazon Marketplace listings first, they may fulfill that order first and cancel your order. Also, if someone walks into the store and purchases the item before it is pulled to ship to you, your order will be canceled. Additionally, store employees may not be able to locate the item and thus cancel your order for that reason. Hastings also has a problem on their website where items in your order history show as out of stock, sometimes regardless of the actual stock. Your best bet is to take a deep breath and not worry about it.

Sale Pricing
NEW!
Question: How can I tell if one promotion or discount is better than a different commonly offered promotion or discount?
Answer:
The following guides are only for video games since they take into consideration the $2.28 per game shipping price. You will have to do your own math for music/movies, books, trends/electronics and other shipping sales.

Remember, stock and prices fluctuate constantly and may not be the same by the next sale.

The math in the Buy 2 Get 1 For $1 deal assumes you choose three equally priced games to maximize your potential savings.

Free Shipping:
Vs. 96¢ Per Item Shipping: Use free shipping, obviously
Vs. 20% Off: Use free shipping with items $11.40 and less
Vs. 25% Off: Use free shipping with items $9.12 and less
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: Use free shipping with items $7.84 and less
Vs. 30% Off: Use free shipping with items $7.60 and less
Vs. 33% Off: Use free shipping with items $6.91 and less
Vs. 40% Off: Use free shipping with items $5.70 and less

96 Cent Shipping:
Vs. Free Shipping: Wait for Free Shipping, obviously
Vs. 20% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $6.60 and less
Vs. 25% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $5.28 and less
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.96 and less
Vs. 30% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.40 and less
Vs. 33% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.00 and less
Vs. 40% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $3.30 and less

20% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $11.40, use 20% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $6.60, use 20% Off
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: For items under $2.50, use 20% Off

25% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $9.12, use 25% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $5.28, use 20% Off
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: For items under $4.00, use 25% Off

30% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $7.60, use 30% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $4.40, use 30% Off
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: For items under $10, use 30% Off

Buy 2 Get 1 For $1:
Vs. Free Shipping: Use free shipping with items $7.84 and less
Vs. $0.96 Shipping: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.96 and less

33% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $6.91, use 33% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $4.00, use 33% Off

40% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $5.70, use 40% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $3.30, use 40% Off

Question: GoHastings.Com totally raised their prices prior to the sale! OMGWTFBBQSauce! Should I call the police / attorney general / president of the United States?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com claims to not raise their prices prior to sales. Their pricing is based on algorithms that consider things like supply, demand, competitor pricing, market rates, etc. If a game was $10 before the sale and $15 24 hours into the sale, chances are there were only a couple of copies of the game and someone bought one when the sale started, thus affecting the supply and demand. You are not the only one monitoring a Wish List on GoHastings.Com. However, there have been some clearly documented instances of raising prices right before a sale, especially with books rather than games.

Promotional Deal Codes
Question: Why is the promotional code not applying to my order?
Answer:
Certain M-rated games carry the disclaimer that "This item is only available for purchase by customers age 17 and older." If you have such a game in your cart, be sure to check the box by the "Check Out" button that says "I am at least 17 years of age" before clicking the "Apply Promotion Code" button to apply the promotional code.

Additionally, some promotional codes only apply to select qualifying titles. Be sure that your order only contains such titles. Occasionally the GoHastings.Com programmers miss something and games that are supposed to qualify do not work with the promotional code. If this is the case, please contact GoHastings.Com. Contact information can be found below this FAQ.

Question: Can I use more than one promotional code at the same time? Can I stack promotional codes?
Answer:
No, you can only apply one promotional code per order. This prevents code stacking. If there are two promotional codes valid at the same time that you would like to use, you must place two or more separate orders.

Question: What time do promotions normally begin / end?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com operates based on the Central Time Zone. Weekly promotions usually start on Sunday and usually last the whole week. Various other promotions may have different start times and durations. Promotions usually begin at midnight Central time. However, sometimes the new promotions take a while to go "live" on the website, so always double check your order that the correct discounted price is shown.

Order Problems and Contacting Customer Service
(Including Returns/Replacements for Wrong Item or Damaged/Defective Item)

Question: I am trying to place an order and have entered my correct shipping address, billing address and credit card info. The check out page says there is a problem with my information and I need to correct it, but nothing is incorrect. What is going on?!
Answer:
This is a random error that seems to affect some people and not others. There is no known cause for it. People have reported it occurring with different credit card companies (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, etc.). Some people think it has to do with what web browser you use, so perhaps try a different one. Some people have reported they can't place orders from computers or IP numbers located out of the state where their billing or shipping address is located. The bottom line is there is no fix for this problem from the customer's end. Your only attempt to get it resolved will be to CALL Customer Service. Contact details for Customer Service can be found below this FAQ.

Question: GoHastings.Com sent me a defective game or the wrong game. How do I return it? Can they send me a replacement/correct item?
Answer:
Contact customer service to initiate the return process. Customer service contact information is located in this post, below the FAQ. GoHastings.Com will not charge you to ship the game back, and they will give you a full refund, including what you paid initially for shipping. In some instances, they will simply refund the cost of the item and let you keep the defective or wrong item for free. GoHastings.Com will not normally send you a replacement item if you received a defective or incorrect item. They will usually tell you that you must place a new order, at which time the promotion you initially ordered under may have expired. You can try to contact customer service to see if they will create a new order for you with the price point you originally ordered under.

Question: Something went wrong with my order. How do I contact customer service?
Answer:
Customer service contact information is located in this post, below the FAQ.

Question: Should I call or email customer service?
Answer:
CAGs have reported mixed experiences with both calling and emailing Hastings Customer Service. It is up to your preference. If you are contacting them regarding credit card issues, it may be best to call rather than put highly sensitive information in an email. If you call during business hours, your issue may be resolved right then over the phone. You might also have to wait on hold for a long period of time during peak hours. If you email, you may have to wait up to 48 hours to get a response, especially if you email over the weekend. Often the email replies fail to understand your entire issue with your order. Customer Service contact information is located in this post, below the FAQ.

Question: What is GoHastings.Com return policy?
Answer:
The GoHastings.Com website states their return policy is as follows:

All items purchased through gohastings.com may be returned for a full refund of the purchase price, if they meet the following criteria:

• All new items are in original unopened packaging.
  • Return of product is within 30 days of shipping date.
  • Returned product(s) must be in the original packaging and include any manuals, cabling and accessories in saleable condition.
  • Video Game Systems that are found defective within the 30 day window must make a return using the manufacturer's warranty.
Shipping and handling charges are not refundable.
Note: Products purchased through goHastings.com may not be returned to a physical store location for refund.
However, this can be confusing considering used items, such as games, come in opened packaging. Normally GoHastings has no problem with returns for defective or incorrect used game shipments that are promptly requested. At the very least, if a game item was found to be defective within 30 days of the shipping date, you would have a good argument toward customer service that you should be able to return the game item. Abusing the return policy to replace your own broken items with items from GoHastings inventory wouldn't be a good idea.

Miscellaneous
Question: Does GoHastings.Com collect sales tax?
Answer:
According to GoHastings.Com:

Currently goHastings.com only charges sales tax in states where we have a physical presence. Sales taxes are calculated during the ordering process and will show tax charged for the delivery destination, based on current tax rates. Shipping charges may also be subject to tax in certain states.
Currently sales tax is automatically applied in the following states:

• Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Arizona
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • Oklahoma
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

Question: Where are Hastings brick and mortar retail stores located?
Answer:
Question: Are the online prices the same in store? Are the online specials valid in store?
Answer:
Generally speaking, no. For used items and for some new items, GoHastings.Com uses algorithms where prices can change multiple times in one day. Hastings retail locations have their own set prices. See your local store for more information. Additionally, online special sales and promotions are not valid in store. Sometimes Hastings runs the same pricing online and in store for certain items.

Question: Are the brick and mortar retail location advertisements valid online?
Answer:
Generally the prices in the retail location advertisements are not valid on GoHastings.Com. Sometimes Hastings runs the same pricing online and in store for certain items.

Customer Service Contact Information
Customer Service Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday 9 am through 9 pm CST
Toll Free Phone Number: (877)-HASTINGS (427-8464)
Fax: (806) 467-8330

Email: service[at]gohastings.com
PM the GoHastings Representative on CAG: gohastings (John) [Not active since October 2013]

Regular Mail:
Hastings Internet, Inc.
3601 Plains Blvd.
Amarillo, TX 79102

Comments to the President:
John Marmaduke, President & CEO RIP In Peace

Alan Van Ongevalle, President & COO
Hastings Entertainment, Inc.
PO Box 35350
Amarillo, TX 79120-5350

GoHastings.Com / Hastings Entertainment Online Information
Retail Store Weekly Ad: http://www.gohastings.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=StoreAd
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gohastings?sk=wall
Twitter: @gohastings
Google+: https://plus.google.com/107834874893127887270/posts
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gohastings/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/gohastings
Is the GoHastings.Com server down for everyone or just me?: Click here to check

Last edited by a moderator:
I have bought a ridiculous number of TPB/HCs during this sale. Lets tell no one.

I feel horrible, they are splitting it into a billion shipments coming in from all over the country.

Damn, finally got a copy of Ikki Tousen: Dragon Destiny for cheap and the second disc is jacked up. The other two are flawless but the second disc has some weird cracks around the inner circle on the bottom.

[quote name='Larrabee213']Quick question. What condition are GoHasting's used games generally in? Cases and discs in pretty good shape?[/QUOTE]

Everything I've gotten has been in pretty good condition overall and I'm pretty sure one of the games I got came new as it was still wrapped in plastic. I believe others have had worse luck with quality, but my experience has been good.

[quote name='lokizz']finally got my hands on tatsunoku vs capcom at a decent price there damn shame how much stores want to charge for it elsewhere.[/QUOTE]

Considering it's Capcom, I'm literally shocked this game was NEVER ported over to the other systems considering all the other fighters they made did, guess Nintendo paid them enough not to bother.

On a Hastings note, my last package took over a week to show up since the USPS decided to route it from Idaho to Ohio (I'm in IL...) then back to IA, MO then finally to me. =/ I didn't think I was ever going to get my last shipment of movies (it wasn't Hastings fault, but still...)

[quote name='uncle5555']Considering it's Capcom, I'm literally shocked this game was NEVER ported over to the other systems considering all the other fighters they made did, guess Nintendo paid them enough not to bother.

On a Hastings note, my last package took over a week to show up since the USPS decided to route it from Idaho to Ohio (I'm in IL...) then back to IA, MO then finally to me. =/ I didn't think I was ever going to get my last shipment of movies (it wasn't Hastings fault, but still...)[/QUOTE]

yeah it would have sold pretty well if theyd bothered to port it over to the other consoles ive been wanting to try it since i first heard about it hell if they didnt want to bother putting it on disk i could see it doing well as a 20 dollar download.

I've found some seriously amazing deals on art books, and all told I've ordered around 30 books from GoHastings in the last two months - 14 from the 40% off code last month, and probably about the same from this 30% off code. I actually ended up building an entirely new bookshelf because of it, hahahah

[quote name='supershammy']I've found some seriously amazing deals on art books, and all told I've ordered around 30 books from GoHastings in the last two months - 14 from the 40% off code last month, and probably about the same from this 30% off code. I actually ended up building an entirely new bookshelf because of it, hahahah[/QUOTE]

Wait...30% off code? :whistle2:# WICKED is the code for 40% off. It still works because I ordered some manga yesterday. It seems like you missed out on an even better deal, dude! :cold:

[quote name='lokizz']yeah it would have sold pretty well if theyd bothered to port it over to the other consoles ive been wanting to try it since i first heard about it hell if they didnt want to bother putting it on disk i could see it doing well as a 20 dollar download.[/QUOTE]

Are you guys kidding? It's literally like Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 but better balanced, and half its roster is super sentai crap instead of superheroes in spandex. And as the name implies, it has the gang doing wacky things, like when Ryu dragon punches a two-story-tall monster. (Not Godzilla.)

Ordered Uncharted 1 and 2 for about $27 shipped with the discount. Also the copy of Eternal Sonata I ordered from them through Amazon arrived in MINT condition. This place is excellent.

[quote name='whitereflection']Are you guys kidding? It's literally like Marvel Vs. Capcom 3 but better balanced, and half its roster is super sentai crap instead of superheroes in spandex. And as the name implies, it has the gang doing wacky things, like when Ryu dragon punches a two-story-tall monster. (Not Godzilla.)[/QUOTE]

so your point is?

[quote name='Blade']Wait...30% off code? :whistle2:# WICKED is the code for 40% off. It still works because I ordered some manga yesterday. It seems like you missed out on an even better deal, dude! :cold:[/QUOTE]

hahah oops, well it went 40%, then 30%, then 40% again. I took advantage of all of em. thanks for the heads-up, although i already used wicked a few times =D

[quote name='Blade']Wait...30% off code? :whistle2:# WICKED is the code for 40% off. It still works because I ordered some manga yesterday. It seems like you missed out on an even better deal, dude! :cold:[/QUOTE]

I know I've said this a few times already, but I'm still shocked anyone is ordering any books. In addition to the big jump from $3 to $5+ or $5 to over $8 for some books, all of the graphic novels I've been watching have slowly but surely climbed up from under $3 to over $5.

I guess people must be happy with the prices they're paying, or they didn't see the before-sale prices. I've watched game prices fluctuate up and down constantly, but I've never seen as blatant of a rise in book prices across the board as prior to and during this sale.

On some of these books I'm watching it almost makes more sense to wait it out and hope the sale ends and prices lower again after the sale, because those prices are better than the prices with 30% or 40% off in some instances.

[quote name='kodave']I know I've said this a few times already, but I'm still shocked anyone is ordering any books. In addition to the big jump from $3 to $5+ or $5 to over $8 for some books, all of the graphic novels I've been watching have slowly but surely climbed up from under $3 to over $5.

I guess people must be happy with the prices they're paying, or they didn't see the before-sale prices. I've watched game prices fluctuate up and down constantly, but I've never seen as blatant of a rise in book prices across the board as prior to and during this sale.

On some of these books I'm watching it almost makes more sense to wait it out and hope the sale ends and prices lower again after the sale, because those prices are better than the prices with 30% or 40% off in some instances.[/QUOTE]

well I ordered probably 40+ volumes of manga and 90% of them were $1.20 after the 40% discount so not everything was hiked up

[quote name='kodave']I know I've said this a few times already, but I'm still shocked anyone is ordering any books. In addition to the big jump from $3 to $5+ or $5 to over $8 for some books, all of the graphic novels I've been watching have slowly but surely climbed up from under $3 to over $5.

On some of these books I'm watching it almost makes more sense to wait it out and hope the sale ends and prices lower again after the sale, because those prices are better than the prices with 30% or 40% off in some instances.[/QUOTE]

It's true that book prices were inflated, but I'm just ordering from the $1.99 manga selection. It's not right to inflate prices like that, and I know I shouldn't buy any based on principle, knowing that the company will look at the overall sales figure; pragmatically, though, I'm concerned with not getting a second chance to own an entire set of something that I rarely see in person at a massive percentage off MSRP. I stopped myself this time at 15 manga for $17.39 - one wasn't discounted to $1.20 for some reason - while completing three collections, and I'm happy with that.

Reference list of what I ordered:

Ballad of a Shinigami V01 (not discounted)
Ballad of a Shinigami V02
Boogiepop and Others
D.Gray-Man V02
D.Gray-Man V03
Ikigami V01
Ikigami V04
Path of the Assassin V01
Trinity Blood Book 1 - From the Empire
Trinity Blood Book 3 - Know Faith
Yotsuba& V02
Zombiepowder V01
Zombiepowder V02
Zombiepowder V03
Zombiepowder V04

Your point is valid, but really only in regards to fiction. I too have seen the prices rise, but I didn't order any of those books. Many of the books I ordered in the most recent 30%/40% sale may not hold any significance to you or others, but my favorites are (priced at amazon):

Designer's Complete Index, boxed set, $9 (retails at $40)
Jan Tschichold's New Typography, $5 (retails at $30 for the paperback alone)
Heston Blumenthal's In Search of Total Perfection, $5 (retails for $10, but extremely hard to find used)

and, of course, The Long Halloween, $5 (gotta squeeze a comic in there somewhere, right? Commercially popular graphic novels are hard as hell to find used on Hastings these days, so this was a lucky score)

edit: well shit. one of my literally 20 packages from gohastings is being returned as undeliverable to my address for whatever reason.

Well, I'll clarify:

It clearly sounds like manga at GoHastings is dirt cheap. I don't read manga or ever browse it so I have no idea how the pricing for that is traditionally. Sounds like some of you guys are getting good deals. Hopefully they don't raise prices on those books.

But I've been watching more than fiction books, supershammy. I have a wide variety of books on my watch list, from fictional westerns to history books to graphic novels to biographies and whatnot. For instance, I randomly added the book written by the pilot that landed the plane in the Hudson River. I don't know that I'd actually buy it, but I added it because he seems like a cool guy and I saw him promote the book on the Daily Show a few months back. Before the sale it was $3.29, along with just about every other hardcover book on my watch list. Now its up to $4.25. Or for instance, Christ Jericho's latest book was $5-something prior to the sale, now its $8.31. Same with Bret Hart's book. Hardcover copy was $5 flat and now its $8 flat. Sin City graphic novels were floating around $2-3 bucks, now the ones that are left in stock are $3.50 to over $5.

I think if Hastings was losing money on shipping out giant hardcover books for $2.10 or whatever I paid last time, they would have price adjusted shortly thereafter, and I'd understand somewhat. Instead they instantly raised prices almost across the board a day or two prior to this current sale going live. I know its a classic move retailers do, but its disappointing to see it so blatantly done, especially since GoHastings reps have come on here and said point blank that they do not engage in those types of practices, when they did it at least this time in a pretty blatant manner. This is far different than someone crying foul about price raising because a month old video game shot up in price when several copies were sold during a sale, fluctuating the supply and demand. I'd bet my left nut there was no rush on hardcover copies of Sully Sullenberger's book to fluctuate the supply and demand and thus raise the price just a couple of days prior to the sale.

With a lot of the books I'm watching, GoHastings is giving me very little incentive to buy from them versus buying from a 3rd party seller on Amazon where Amazon will fulfill shipment of the order so I can use FSSS or Prime.

Meh, about half of the games I ordered from goHastings came in bad condition with either broken cases, no manuals, or just shoddy quality closing pins. I don't think I'll be ordering games from Hastings anymore, unless there is a way to guarantee quality. I like having my nice cases, manuals, and being able to close them properly. :/

[quote name='randomdud']Meh, about half of the games I ordered from goHastings came in bad condition with either broken cases, no manuals, or just shoddy quality closing pins. I don't think I'll be ordering games from Hastings anymore, unless there is a way to guarantee quality. I like having my nice cases, manuals, and being able to close them properly. :/[/QUOTE]

I got Dark Souls for $37.15. I came complete and in great condition. All of the books I have ordered from go hastings has also arrived in great condition.

I supposed that you are always rolling the dice when you are getting steep discounts, but I am very satisfied with my experiences so far.

Bought Shift 2 and Need for speed hot pursuit for Xbox 360 for 28 dollars shipped. Both were in excellent condition (save for the fact that the bubblewrap mailer was ripped on side as if someone had opened it but nothing was stolen) and the games had manuals, inserts AND working online passes!

I've only had 2 games I bought from GoHastings that the condition was not near perfect (out of probably 25-30 total): one of them was because there was a damn gamestop sticker on it that someone tried to (unsuccessfully) remove, and the other did not have a manual.

[quote name='jupiterjones']Tried using WICKED and PSYCHO this morning, neither did anything. Are they still active?[/QUOTE]

WICKED still works, keep trying to apply the code to whatever you want to order. I've had a few books that would take the code initially, but when I tried a little later it worked fine.

I ordered used copies of John Woo's Stranglehold and Deadrising 2 strategy guides. Received yesterday a new sealed copy of Stranglehold strategy guide and a like new Deadrising 2 Collectors edition hardcover guide with the map inside. Not bad for under $10.

[quote name='Gamehead']I got Dark Souls for $37.15. I came complete and in great condition. All of the books I have ordered from go hastings has also arrived in great condition.

I supposed that you are always rolling the dice when you are getting steep discounts, but I am very satisfied with my experiences so far.[/QUOTE]

I just jumped on Dark Souls used for 32.17. :D A crazy good deal for such a top-notch recent release. It's a pretty new game so I'd be very surprised if it came in poor condition.

My Batman Arkham City Arrived. Perfect Disk, Torn Case, No DLC. I'm still satisfied, but it's like hitting the lottery sometimes with these DLC Codes. Now I have to find one at a discount.

[quote name='deantjeep']I ordered used copies of John Woo's Stranglehold and Deadrising 2 strategy guides. Received yesterday a new sealed copy of Stranglehold strategy guide and a like new Deadrising 2 Collectors edition hardcover guide with the map inside. Not bad for under $10.[/QUOTE]

Oh, and I used the WICKED code yesterday for some game strategy guides and it worked!

I ordered a copy of COD: MW2 for $10 about 2 weeks ago, but never got a shipping confirmation. I finally contacted customer service, and they told me the order was cancelled, with no notice or anything, citing that the item was out of stock. I check on the website today, and they have PLENTY available, but the only difference is that the price went up about $10 more. Thanks a lot, GoHastings.

[quote name='deantjeep']I ordered used copies of John Woo's Stranglehold and Deadrising 2 strategy guides. Received yesterday a new sealed copy of Stranglehold strategy guide and a like new Deadrising 2 Collectors edition hardcover guide with the map inside. Not bad for under $10.[/QUOTE]
Wow, that's pretty darn lucky... It's listed as paperback and you get the hardcovers? Congrats!

[quote name='deantjeep']Oh, and I used the WICKED code yesterday for some game strategy guides and it worked![/QUOTE]

Lol, I just used it too. I love how they put up 30% off when there's an unadvertised code for 40% off.

3655275926_b3b5f3117b.jpg

Ordered Catherine PS3 for $31 shipped, PSYCHO still worked. Alot cheaper then Amazon, Ebay, Gamestop prices so I'm happy.

I've had pretty good luck with complete games from them in decent condition, hoping it doesn't stop now :eek:

Would have got No More Heroes and ICO/SotC collection for PS3 also but they were both out.

Ordered two volumes of Death Note, Dreamcatcher (King), The End of Alice, and Survivor (remembered reading it in high school, pretty twisted...) Aside from Dreamcatcher, the others all looked brand new. Now trying to complete Death Note, since I enjoyed the first half of what I read of the series (up until the two kids showed up, really) and want to go back again. Didn't really like the anime much.

[quote name='Blade']Lol, I just used it too. I love how they put up 30% off when there's an unadvertised code for 40% off.

3655275926_b3b5f3117b.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I ordered a couple of guides a week ago and Wicked didn't work. So I tried Psycho and it still didn't work. Then I tried psycho(all lower case) and the discount applied. I should have tried wicked. I'm pretty sure it would've worked. Damn you, iphone auto-cap.

[quote name='cynicalaa22']I ordered a copy of COD: MW2 for $10 about 2 weeks ago, but never got a shipping confirmation. I finally contacted customer service, and they told me the order was cancelled, with no notice or anything, citing that the item was out of stock. I check on the website today, and they have PLENTY available, but the only difference is that the price went up about $10 more. Thanks a lot, GoHastings.[/QUOTE]

That sucks, but it isn't uncommon. It probably legitimately went out of stock, at least temporarily. Hastings seems to refuse to go back and fulfill orders when they get new trade in stock.

This happened to me with some Tony Hawk game for the original Xbox. The game was cancelled as a result of "computer error" but they had stock. I asked if they could just reinstate my order since the promotion code had come and gone. They refused and said they couldn't, but I could place a new order (at a higher price). I told the CS rep that was absurd because I could buy it elsewhere cheaper now (Amazon Warehouse). They insisted they couldn't fix my order, so they lost my business on that order, like they've seemingly lost yours on your order.

Maybe one day Hastings will get their ordering system together and into this century.

Wow there was a 40% off? Glad I didnt order at 30% I wouldve felt cheated.

I almost ordered Bulletstorm, TRON, Homefront for $10 each. but them I remembered of all the games coming out. There will be other sales, and the games will still be there

[quote name='occpimpin']does anyone know if the ea used games come with the online code[/QUOTE]

there's just no way to tell as these games have been traded in to their retail stores, just like a gamstop or bestbuy, it's best to assume that the code will have already been redeemed

[quote name='occpimpin']does anyone know if the ea used games come with the online code[/QUOTE]

The probability of getting an unused online pass code from a used goHastings game is not as good as a game from Gamefly. However, the used UFC 2010 I bought from goHastings did come with an unused online code, so there is a chance.

My copies of Uncharted 1 and 2 came in today. Uncharted 1 was in great condition and complete. Uncharted 2 was complete as well but in that regards the case had a big chip in the top left corner. However the DLC code was unused.

Their shipping speed is kind of insane. My Dark Souls left Texas on the 27th and it's apparently out for delivery in Rhode Island today.:applause:

[quote name='Vulgarism']Ordered two volumes of Death Note, Dreamcatcher (King), The End of Alice, and Survivor (remembered reading it in high school, pretty twisted...) Aside from Dreamcatcher, the others all looked brand new. Now trying to complete Death Note, since I enjoyed the first half of what I read of the series (up until the two kids showed up, really) and want to go back again. Didn't really like the anime much.[/QUOTE]

Their online system is pretty awful; several Death Note volumes give you a system error when you go on their respective pages. I asked tech support to fix the issue because I was going to get them for my girlfriend for her birthday. They said thanks for letting them know, but then ignored the problem. They probably don't know how to fix it. Anyway, if you want it for their cheap price, you might have to place a phone order or find a store.

Bought Kare Kano Vols 1-3 on a whim the other day. Received Kare Kano Vol 11 instead. Packing slip says the name is Vol 11 and the web name is Vols 1-3...what? :roll:

damn it gohastings

some volumes of Fruits Basket I really wanted came back in stock yesterday but the code wasn't working on them

this morning it finally was working on them but they had gone back out of stock

:bomb:

I don't see any new sale banner ads uploaded for the video games and books categories, so we might be in for a third week of these sales, unless they upload new sales images late tonight.

[quote name='looploop']Their shipping speed is kind of insane. My Dark Souls left Texas on the 27th and it's apparently out for delivery in Rhode Island today.:applause:[/QUOTE]

It's not insane. They ship from different locations. That one was probably close to where you live.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']It's not insane. They ship from different locations. That one was probably close to where you live.[/QUOTE]

The tracking info records it as being sent from Texas. Texas-RI in 2 days by first class mail is damn impressive.
Dark Souls arrived, everything in like new condition. Now I need to stop buying new games already. The backlog must stop!

[quote name='looploop']The tracking info records it as being sent from Texas. Texas-RI in 2 days by first class mail is damn impressive.
Dark Souls arrived, everything in like new condition. Now I need to stop buying new games already. The backlog must stop![/QUOTE]

Eh, if the USPS is rolling as it should, most things should make it coast to coast in about 3 days with first class mail once its actually placed in the mail. Thats usually not the reality though, I'd wager. Sometimes GoHastings sits on orders for more than 48 hours though, so that often adds to the time spent waiting. But as far as USPS goes, Texas to Rhode Island in 2 days with first class is how I'd expect the system to work at its best.

bread's done
Back