The Last Days of the Hastings / GoHastings Universe - Check the latest posts!

kodave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION IN THIS THREAD, READ THE FAQ BELOW!

GoHastings.Com Promotional Deals and Codes

AMARILLO, Texas - Texas-based Hastings Entertainment Inc. has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Company officials say the reorganization filing includes its parent company, Draw Another Circle, and sister brands Movie Stop and SPImages.

A statement posted Monday on the Hastings website says the Chapter 11 process will help prepare the business for an intended sale, while providing protections and financing to continue operations. Further financial details weren’t released.

Hastings will no longer accept or honor deposits for movie purchases and will no longer rent games. Hastings gift cards expire July 13, 2016. The company’s buyback program has been suspended.
Full List Of Online Coupon Codes

In-Store Sales / Discounts / Liquidation will vary from Online Sale / Coupon offerings

Check latest posts in thread for more specific updates

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Please read me before posting a question!

Click the "Show Spoiler" button below to see the FAQ
General
Question: What is Hastings / GoHastings.Com?
Answer:
Founded in 1968, Hastings Entertainment, Inc. is a leading multimedia entertainment retailer that combines the sale of new and used books, videos, video games and CDs, and trends and consumer electronics merchandise, with the rental of videos and video games in a superstore format. Currently there are 146 superstores. Hastings also operates www.goHastings.com, an e-commerce Internet Web site that makes available to customers new and used entertainment products and unique, contemporary gifts and toys.

Question: Gee, this is a really long FAQ. Doesn't Hasting have their own FAQ for customers?
Answer:
Hastings does have their own FAQ. You can read Hastings' official FAQ by clicking here. However, this FAQ goes into many details that Hastings' own FAQ does not. So be sure to read through all of this before asking a question!

NEW!
Question: How can I filter and sort Used Video Games to remove the out of stock items?
Answer:
Find the "Stock" dropdown menu option when browsing the used game selection and choose "In Stock." Games that have been purchased in the past day and are now out of stock may still appear.

NEW!
Question: Where can I find clearance video games and other clearance items?
Answer:
Clearance Video Games are in New condition; Plus $2.28 shipping per game
Click Here For Overall Video Game Clearance Items > Sort by Platform on the drop down menu
Click Here For Overall Clearance Items

Game / Item Condition
Question: What is the difference between "used" and "previously viewed" items on GoHastings.Com?
Answer:
"Used" games and movies are items that have been traded in to a Hastings retail location by a customer. "Previously viewed" games and movies are items that Hastings has rented out to customers at their retail locations but are now selling to the public.

When it comes to video games, most CAGs report no real difference between the two other than some ancillary stickers, but both "used" and "previously viewed" games are subject to being scratched, abused, or incomplete depending how well it was previously taken care of.

When it comes to movies, the "Previously Viewed" rental versions often lack features from the full retail versions and may come in different boxes, have different UPCs, have white barcode stickers around the center ring of the disc, etc.

You may encounter a situation where a customer has purchased a "previously used" item from Hastings, then traded it back into Hastings, thus making it a "used" item. This practiced is frowned upon by most customers, but Hastings has shown next to no incentive to change it. It mostly happens with movies.

Question: Do used and previously viewed video games come complete with the original case and manual?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com states as follows:

Due to the nature of used products; booklet inserts, digital movie downloads and manuals are not guaranteed in our used video games, movies and CDs.
However, the vast majority of CAGs have reported that a large majority of their games do arrive complete. Incomplete games are more of an exception rather than the rule.

Question: Are used collector's editions and limited editions of games guaranteed to come with extras like bonus discs, statutes, and other items?
Answer:
No. Hopefully the used CE and LE games would at least come with all of the discs, but this is not guaranteed. And there is absolutely no guarantee other physical items or "swag" will be included for these used copies. However, CAGs have reported that they have purchased used CE and LE games and received all of the extras. If you order a used CE or LE and it does not come with the extras, just contact customer service and ask about a return/refund.

Question: What condition do "used" and "previously viewed" discs come in?
Answer:
Mosts CAGs seem to get games in good, playable condition if not better. However, there have been cases of receiving a game so scratched up that it would not load/play. These games can be returned to GoHastings.Com at no cost to the customer for a full refund.

NEW!
Question: Are New condition games factory sealed or gutted and re-sealed?
Answer:
As of mid-2013, Hastings retail stores have adopted a policy of gutting games then storing the game discs, manuals and DLC papers separately. This is so they do not have to lock up games or put security cases on games yet still allow the customer to physically handle the boxes in-store. When a new game is sold, Hasting will either re-seal the game or they will place the game in a bag that cannot be opened if you want to return the game as new.

Shipping
Question: Why are my items shipping individually? Why does GoHastings.Com include a shipping charge for each individual item ordered?
Answer:
Hastings does not have warehouses for fulfilling internet orders. All items are shipped from individual brick and mortar retail stores. If your order contains multiple items, your order may ship from multiple locations at different times if one location does not have all of the items you ordered. Because items could ship from more than one location, GoHastings.Com charges a per item shipping fee. Yes this can be frustrating, so its best to either get over it if you intend to shop at GoHastings.Com, or if you can't get over it, shop elsewhere. Like all "deals," include the shipping price per item into consideration for the total cost of the game being purchased.

UPDATED!
Question: How much is shipping per item?
Answer:
Video Games and PC software ship for $2.28 per item.

CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays ship for $1.29 per item.

Books have a per-order charge of $3.00 plus $0.99 shipping per book ordered.

Game Hardware, Electronics and Trends have a per-order charge of $1.99 plus $0.10 shipping per ounce for each item ordered.

Full shipping information, including expedited shipping prices, can be found HERE.

Occasionally, GoHastings.Com offers free or reduced shipping promotions.

Please note, books used to ship for $0.96 per order with no per item charge but Hastings discontinued that pricing scheme as of January 10, 2014. CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays used to ship for $0.96 per item, but Hastings raised that price to the current cost as of approximately May 25, 2014.

Question: How long does it take GoHastings.Com to ship my order?
Answer:
Standard Shipping:
Order processed within 48 Hours
Shipping time is 3-10 Days

Priority / Expedited Mail:
Order processed within 48 Hours
Shipping time is 2 - 3 Days

Question: What service does GoHastings.Com use to ship items?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com primarily ships items using the United States Postal Service (USPS). Video games ship via USPS First Class Mail. Books, movies and music ship via USPS Media Mail. Larger orders may ship via UPS.

Question: Will GoHastings.Com give me a tracking number for each shipment?
Answer:
Every shipment usually has a tracking number associated with it. If you did not see a tracking number in the shipping confirmation email, check your order history on GoHastings.Com.

Question: What will GoHastings.Com ship my items in?
Answer:
It will vary. Hastings might use a yellow paper mailer with bubble padding on the inside. They might use a white plastic envelope with bubble padding on the inside. They might use a stiffer paper/lighter cardboard envelope with no padding. Hastings will try to jam as many items into any of the above envelope options as possible, resulting in frequently damaged books, broken game/movie/CD cases, etc. On rare occasions, someone at Hastings will have the common sense to put larger or heavier items into a box for safer shipping, but even then they will neglect to use padding. Hastings used to ship items in a white plastic poly-bag with absolutely no padding or protection, but after numerous complaints, the company claims these are supposed to be phased out and no longer in use. They still pop up from time to time.

Order Cancellations / Out Of Stock Items
Question: Why was an item cancelled out of my order? Why is that item back in stock right now?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com fills their stock from their Hastings brick and mortar retail locations. Additionally, GoHastings.Com sells items on Amazon and eBay. Their online inventory system is antiquated and does not update stock instantaneously across physical store locations, GoHastings.Com, Amazon, and eBay. Therefore if someone bought the same item first in store/on Amazon/on eBay, their order will be fulfilled first and your item will be cancelled if there is not enough inventory to go around, even though you thought the item was in stock. Yes this sucks, but now you know about it so you can simply choose not to shop at GoHastings in the future if you can't deal with it. No need to endlessly complain about it in posts. Consider writing a letter to the president of Hastings, whose contact info can be found below this FAQ.

Because Hastings' physical store locations accept trade-ins for the used items that they sell, an item that was out of stock may quickly come back into stock if someone trades in the same item, or if someone returns the same item. However, as stated above, GoHastings.Com has an antiquated online system, and they will not be able to fulfill any items on your order once they have been canceled. You will have to re-order the item, at which time the promotion you initially ordered under may have expired. You can try to contact customer service to see if they will create a new order for you with the price point your originally ordered under.

Question: I just ordered something and now it shows as out of stock, either on my order history page or on the item's page. Will my order be canceled?
Answer:
Probably not, but it is still possible. GoHastings.Com updates its inventory count immediately when sales from the website are made. Therefore if they had one item, and you ordered it, it will now show up as out of stock on GoHastings.Com. However, if someone ordered it off Hastings' eBay or Amazon Marketplace listings first, they may fulfill that order first and cancel your order. Also, if someone walks into the store and purchases the item before it is pulled to ship to you, your order will be canceled. Additionally, store employees may not be able to locate the item and thus cancel your order for that reason. Hastings also has a problem on their website where items in your order history show as out of stock, sometimes regardless of the actual stock. Your best bet is to take a deep breath and not worry about it.

Sale Pricing
NEW!
Question: How can I tell if one promotion or discount is better than a different commonly offered promotion or discount?
Answer:
The following guides are only for video games since they take into consideration the $2.28 per game shipping price. You will have to do your own math for music/movies, books, trends/electronics and other shipping sales.

Remember, stock and prices fluctuate constantly and may not be the same by the next sale.

The math in the Buy 2 Get 1 For $1 deal assumes you choose three equally priced games to maximize your potential savings.

Free Shipping:
Vs. 96¢ Per Item Shipping: Use free shipping, obviously
Vs. 20% Off: Use free shipping with items $11.40 and less
Vs. 25% Off: Use free shipping with items $9.12 and less
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: Use free shipping with items $7.84 and less
Vs. 30% Off: Use free shipping with items $7.60 and less
Vs. 33% Off: Use free shipping with items $6.91 and less
Vs. 40% Off: Use free shipping with items $5.70 and less

96 Cent Shipping:
Vs. Free Shipping: Wait for Free Shipping, obviously
Vs. 20% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $6.60 and less
Vs. 25% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $5.28 and less
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.96 and less
Vs. 30% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.40 and less
Vs. 33% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.00 and less
Vs. 40% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $3.30 and less

20% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $11.40, use 20% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $6.60, use 20% Off
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: For items under $2.50, use 20% Off

25% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $9.12, use 25% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $5.28, use 20% Off
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: For items under $4.00, use 25% Off

30% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $7.60, use 30% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $4.40, use 30% Off
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: For items under $10, use 30% Off

Buy 2 Get 1 For $1:
Vs. Free Shipping: Use free shipping with items $7.84 and less
Vs. $0.96 Shipping: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.96 and less

33% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $6.91, use 33% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $4.00, use 33% Off

40% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $5.70, use 40% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $3.30, use 40% Off

Question: GoHastings.Com totally raised their prices prior to the sale! OMGWTFBBQSauce! Should I call the police / attorney general / president of the United States?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com claims to not raise their prices prior to sales. Their pricing is based on algorithms that consider things like supply, demand, competitor pricing, market rates, etc. If a game was $10 before the sale and $15 24 hours into the sale, chances are there were only a couple of copies of the game and someone bought one when the sale started, thus affecting the supply and demand. You are not the only one monitoring a Wish List on GoHastings.Com. However, there have been some clearly documented instances of raising prices right before a sale, especially with books rather than games.

Promotional Deal Codes
Question: Why is the promotional code not applying to my order?
Answer:
Certain M-rated games carry the disclaimer that "This item is only available for purchase by customers age 17 and older." If you have such a game in your cart, be sure to check the box by the "Check Out" button that says "I am at least 17 years of age" before clicking the "Apply Promotion Code" button to apply the promotional code.

Additionally, some promotional codes only apply to select qualifying titles. Be sure that your order only contains such titles. Occasionally the GoHastings.Com programmers miss something and games that are supposed to qualify do not work with the promotional code. If this is the case, please contact GoHastings.Com. Contact information can be found below this FAQ.

Question: Can I use more than one promotional code at the same time? Can I stack promotional codes?
Answer:
No, you can only apply one promotional code per order. This prevents code stacking. If there are two promotional codes valid at the same time that you would like to use, you must place two or more separate orders.

Question: What time do promotions normally begin / end?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com operates based on the Central Time Zone. Weekly promotions usually start on Sunday and usually last the whole week. Various other promotions may have different start times and durations. Promotions usually begin at midnight Central time. However, sometimes the new promotions take a while to go "live" on the website, so always double check your order that the correct discounted price is shown.

Order Problems and Contacting Customer Service
(Including Returns/Replacements for Wrong Item or Damaged/Defective Item)

Question: I am trying to place an order and have entered my correct shipping address, billing address and credit card info. The check out page says there is a problem with my information and I need to correct it, but nothing is incorrect. What is going on?!
Answer:
This is a random error that seems to affect some people and not others. There is no known cause for it. People have reported it occurring with different credit card companies (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, etc.). Some people think it has to do with what web browser you use, so perhaps try a different one. Some people have reported they can't place orders from computers or IP numbers located out of the state where their billing or shipping address is located. The bottom line is there is no fix for this problem from the customer's end. Your only attempt to get it resolved will be to CALL Customer Service. Contact details for Customer Service can be found below this FAQ.

Question: GoHastings.Com sent me a defective game or the wrong game. How do I return it? Can they send me a replacement/correct item?
Answer:
Contact customer service to initiate the return process. Customer service contact information is located in this post, below the FAQ. GoHastings.Com will not charge you to ship the game back, and they will give you a full refund, including what you paid initially for shipping. In some instances, they will simply refund the cost of the item and let you keep the defective or wrong item for free. GoHastings.Com will not normally send you a replacement item if you received a defective or incorrect item. They will usually tell you that you must place a new order, at which time the promotion you initially ordered under may have expired. You can try to contact customer service to see if they will create a new order for you with the price point you originally ordered under.

Question: Something went wrong with my order. How do I contact customer service?
Answer:
Customer service contact information is located in this post, below the FAQ.

Question: Should I call or email customer service?
Answer:
CAGs have reported mixed experiences with both calling and emailing Hastings Customer Service. It is up to your preference. If you are contacting them regarding credit card issues, it may be best to call rather than put highly sensitive information in an email. If you call during business hours, your issue may be resolved right then over the phone. You might also have to wait on hold for a long period of time during peak hours. If you email, you may have to wait up to 48 hours to get a response, especially if you email over the weekend. Often the email replies fail to understand your entire issue with your order. Customer Service contact information is located in this post, below the FAQ.

Question: What is GoHastings.Com return policy?
Answer:
The GoHastings.Com website states their return policy is as follows:

All items purchased through gohastings.com may be returned for a full refund of the purchase price, if they meet the following criteria:

• All new items are in original unopened packaging.
  • Return of product is within 30 days of shipping date.
  • Returned product(s) must be in the original packaging and include any manuals, cabling and accessories in saleable condition.
  • Video Game Systems that are found defective within the 30 day window must make a return using the manufacturer's warranty.
Shipping and handling charges are not refundable.
Note: Products purchased through goHastings.com may not be returned to a physical store location for refund.
However, this can be confusing considering used items, such as games, come in opened packaging. Normally GoHastings has no problem with returns for defective or incorrect used game shipments that are promptly requested. At the very least, if a game item was found to be defective within 30 days of the shipping date, you would have a good argument toward customer service that you should be able to return the game item. Abusing the return policy to replace your own broken items with items from GoHastings inventory wouldn't be a good idea.

Miscellaneous
Question: Does GoHastings.Com collect sales tax?
Answer:
According to GoHastings.Com:

Currently goHastings.com only charges sales tax in states where we have a physical presence. Sales taxes are calculated during the ordering process and will show tax charged for the delivery destination, based on current tax rates. Shipping charges may also be subject to tax in certain states.
Currently sales tax is automatically applied in the following states:

• Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Arizona
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • Oklahoma
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

Question: Where are Hastings brick and mortar retail stores located?
Answer:
Question: Are the online prices the same in store? Are the online specials valid in store?
Answer:
Generally speaking, no. For used items and for some new items, GoHastings.Com uses algorithms where prices can change multiple times in one day. Hastings retail locations have their own set prices. See your local store for more information. Additionally, online special sales and promotions are not valid in store. Sometimes Hastings runs the same pricing online and in store for certain items.

Question: Are the brick and mortar retail location advertisements valid online?
Answer:
Generally the prices in the retail location advertisements are not valid on GoHastings.Com. Sometimes Hastings runs the same pricing online and in store for certain items.

Customer Service Contact Information
Customer Service Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday 9 am through 9 pm CST
Toll Free Phone Number: (877)-HASTINGS (427-8464)
Fax: (806) 467-8330

Email: service[at]gohastings.com
PM the GoHastings Representative on CAG: gohastings (John) [Not active since October 2013]

Regular Mail:
Hastings Internet, Inc.
3601 Plains Blvd.
Amarillo, TX 79102

Comments to the President:
John Marmaduke, President & CEO RIP In Peace

Alan Van Ongevalle, President & COO
Hastings Entertainment, Inc.
PO Box 35350
Amarillo, TX 79120-5350

GoHastings.Com / Hastings Entertainment Online Information
Retail Store Weekly Ad: http://www.gohastings.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=StoreAd
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gohastings?sk=wall
Twitter: @gohastings
Google+: https://plus.google.com/107834874893127887270/posts
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gohastings/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/gohastings
Is the GoHastings.Com server down for everyone or just me?: Click here to check

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw :ps2: Rule of Rose, :wii: Metroid Prime Trilogy, and :wii: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 come in stock and sell out. Anyone here get them?

Personally I picked up some cheap manga that usually isn't in stock and/or cheap. And also was having problems ordering. Got my order to go through eventually but I missed out on :wii: DBZ. (I have the other two I mentioned.)

[quote name='Tsel']I've only recently gotten into collecting TPB and hardcovers, so I'm pretty much looking for anything DC or Marvel to build up my collection. There's hardly ever any Batman hardcovers in stock, which sucks.

I was looking at Blackest Night earlier, but that's out of stock now. I just wish there was a way to filter your search to only search for hardcovers.[/QUOTE]
I recommend making a list of "best" trades for your favorite super-heroes/teams/miscellaneous genres (e.g. if you're into Daredevil, you'd probably want to check out the iconic run by Frank Miller, or go for something more recent, like the run by Brian Michael Bendis). One thing that helps is to read reviews, familiarize yourself with important events in comic history, and to familiarize yourself with authors and artists.

a whole ton of my wl came into stock too, so im thinking they messed something up. All but 1 of the items is still in stock after me purchasing them... The chances that 2 of those got traded in are very unlikely... I also noticed most everything is at list price, and not discounted like hastings usually does with the slashed out price and a new red price, so I only picked up 5 items, and only really expect 1 or 2 of those to ship if that.

Had a similar phenom. Some CDs I'd been waiting for not only came in stock, but dropped drastically (the new Prong was still $10 used yesterday and was $6 today, for example). Grabbed them. If they're cancelled, ah well.

[quote name='hamokmonky']a whole ton of my wl came into stock too, so im thinking they messed something up. All but 1 of the items is still in stock after me purchasing them... The chances that 2 of those got traded in are very unlikely... I also noticed most everything is at list price, and not discounted like hastings usually does with the slashed out price and a new red price, so I only picked up 5 items, and only really expect 1 or 2 of those to ship if that.[/QUOTE]

For me it was the opposite. Nothing appeared to have been adjusted in price by their computers yet so the items were all at their basic list prices Hastings has for those used items. Had I waited until morning (and those items didn't sell out), a lot of those items would have skyrocketed in price once the computer looked at what the Amazon Marketplace prices were.

[quote name='sadboy']I recommend making a list of "best" trades for your favorite super-heroes/teams/miscellaneous genres (e.g. if you're into Daredevil, you'd probably want to check out the iconic run by Frank Miller, or go for something more recent, like the run by Brian Michael Bendis). One thing that helps is to read reviews, familiarize yourself with important events in comic history, and to familiarize yourself with authors and artists.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip. I'm actually big into comics, so I'm familiar with a ton of authors and artists and all that. I know what I like as far as that's concerned, I'm just new to the TPB and hardcover collecting.

I'm glad I decided to check Gohastings today on a whim after seeing this thread updated--I managed to score used copies of Cat Planet Cuties :)oops:) and Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2 for just over $40 shipped thanks to the 30% off, and I know those weren't available yesterday. I hope they arrive in the excellent condition I've come to expect...

[quote name='Vigilante']I'm glad I decided to check Gohastings today on a whim after seeing this thread updated--I managed to score used copies of Cat Planet Cuties :)oops:) and Haruhi Suzumiya Season 2 for just over $40 shipped thanks to the 30% off, and I know those weren't available yesterday. I hope they arrive in the excellent condition I've come to expect...[/QUOTE]

Watch Endless 8 episode 1. Then watch Endless 8 episode 2. Then watch the final Endless 8 episode. Please, trust me on this. Haruhi Suzumiya s1 is my favorite series of all time, but Endless 8... it's as bad as everyone says it is. Save yourself the time.

Also, I hope your expectations for quality aren't too high. Just got this two days ago.

http://i.imgur.com/pwLwv.jpg

[quote name='slainviper']Have fun with Endless Eight, bro.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Watch Endless 8 episode 1. Then watch Endless 8 episode 2. Then watch the final Endless 8 episode. Please, trust me on this. Haruhi Suzumiya s1 is my favorite series of all time, but Endless 8... it's as bad as everyone says it is. Save yourself the time.

Also, I hope your expectations for quality aren't too high. Just got this two days ago.

http://i.imgur.com/pwLwv.jpg[/QUOTE] I was expecting something like this--I'm well aware of what Endless Eight entails, but I'm willing to give it a try. If it turns out I hate it as much as most people do, I doubt I'll have a problem reselling it, unless it arrives in really crappy condition.

On that note, I'm sorry the book you received was in that condition, but I've never had any issues with the used books/guides I've ordered from Gohastings, and I'm hoping that will extend to those box sets.

[quote name='Vigilante']I was expecting something like this--I'm well aware of what Endless Eight entails, but I'm willing to give it a try. If it turns out I hate it as much as most people do, I doubt I'll have a problem reselling it, unless it arrives in really crappy condition.[/QUOTE]

Four episodes in, I tried to convince myself it was worth it because Haruhi's swimsuit changes each episode, but I just couldn't.

Anyway, the other 5 episodes in season 2 are worth keeping. They definitely expand on the first season in a worthwhile way.

[quote name='DarkSageRK']Watch Endless 8 episode 1. Then watch Endless 8 episode 2. Then watch the final Endless 8 episode. Please, trust me on this. Haruhi Suzumiya s1 is my favorite series of all time, but Endless 8... it's as bad as everyone says it is. Save yourself the time.

http://i.imgur.com/pwLwv.jpg[/QUOTE]

Dude, definitely email them about that. That's BS and apparently people at the store that shipped that to you need to be retrained according to what I have been told. You should get a refund on it. Contact CS and ask that your message be forwarded to their employee Billy May.

My star wars saga may be here tomorrow! Tulsa to Omaha in one day, very doable. Don't work till Friday so I could fill up that free time with some star wars special features

Man, that $0.96 shipping per order for book sure messes with my head. Sometimes a certain manga volume that I need comes in stock after one goes out of stock. Sure, $0.96 doesn't seem like a lot but it can make a dent to my budget if I were to keep buying only 1 volume at a time constantly. I would like to have at least 3-4 volumes in my order.

I got 4 shipping notices from my order late last night/early this morning. I think I still have another 6 items to go. One of the items that actually shipped is pretty rare so I hope it arrives in good shape.

Got refunded for part of one order from the 4th of July sale but the other part they won't refund me for because USPS states it shipped to me. Stupid post office keeps giving me I'll look into this and get back to you in so many business days bs. May be screwed out of like $30. And I have incomplete anime series......joy.

Think im done with Hastings.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Got refunded for part of one order from the 4th of July sale but the other part they won't refund me for because USPS states it shipped to me. Stupid post office keeps giving me I'll look into this and get back to you in so many business days bs. May be screwed out of like $30. And I have incomplete anime series......joy.

Think im done with Hastings.[/QUOTE]

You can't really blame Hastings if the USPS screwed up. Most retailers don't do that, even if Amazon might do it for you.

There's still the other part that they did refund me for..or are supposedly going to. They shouldn't automatically assume you want a refund. I would like the items shipped, not refunded. Wherever the hell they are. And why can't there be an option for all items to be shipped together? I know they are being put together from multiple locations, but why can't they give you an option for items to be shipped together...and why can't you have the option to cancel your whole order if part of it ends up cancelled? Kind of bs. Other similar sites like secondspin give you the option to cancel orders completely if they can't put your order together, and they probably get items from multiple locations as well and ship everything together. Its just a huge headache. I ended up getting like 20 packages all together from 2 orders.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']There's still the other part that they did refund me for..or are supposedly going to. They shouldn't automatically assume you want a refund. I would like the items shipped, not refunded. Wherever the hell they are. And why can't there be an option for all items to be shipped together? I know they are being put together from multiple locations, but why can't they give you an option for items to be shipped together...and why can't you have the option to cancel your whole order if part of it ends up cancelled? Kind of bs. Other similar sites like secondspin give you the option to cancel orders completely if they can't put your order together, and they probably get items from multiple locations as well and ship everything together. Its just a huge headache. I ended up getting like 20 packages all together from 2 orders.[/QUOTE]

The feasibility behind what you've suggested re: shipping everything together has been discussed in the past, and it's not really feasible. Think it through or search the thread for that particular discussion.

Man, I finally ordered a book I'd been watching last week and the damn mailman delivered to the wrong house. Additionally, GH jacked up the price four dollars right after I placed my order. Gah, hafta keep waiting, I guess.

so 4 of the 5 items that i ordered yesterday already shipped, im impressed, was not expecting that. Looks like maybe they just had a huge turn in or found some extra inventory from a store that wasnt entered online or something. They fixed most of the prices on the stuff on my wl, so I bought another today, but most of it wasnt worth it even at 30% off, ill wait until the prices go down on amazon.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']There's still the other part that they did refund me for..or are supposedly going to. They shouldn't automatically assume you want a refund. I would like the items shipped, not refunded. Wherever the hell they are. And why can't there be an option for all items to be shipped together? I know they are being put together from multiple locations, but why can't they give you an option for items to be shipped together...and why can't you have the option to cancel your whole order if part of it ends up cancelled? Kind of bs. Other similar sites like secondspin give you the option to cancel orders completely if they can't put your order together, and they probably get items from multiple locations as well and ship everything together. Its just a huge headache. I ended up getting like 20 packages all together from 2 orders.[/QUOTE]

Secondspin ships mainly from one location from a warehouse in Illinois that fulfills the majority of the orders, and then the ones they don't have there comes from their 4 stores in California and Colorado to fill in the blanks of the missing parts of the orders. So if you combine all the locations, it's a total of 5 locations. And then there's a small chance they may pull stock from one of their parent company's stores, but that almost never happens.

In comparison to Hastings they don't ship from a main warehouse but their hundreds of stores across the country.

And also if they don't have the product in stock, they don't have it. They can't re-order the products since they're used. It's not like they have the ability to tell customers, "Hey, can you trade in this title for me? I really need it for a customer's order I have to fulfill." They can't ship what they don't have even if you want the items shipped. You can always re-order if it comes back in stock, which is generally what the majority of the people do that shops at Hastings. It's the nature of used products, so you have to understand that first and foremost.

I understand what you're trying to say, but I just don't think the comparison is fair or practical.

[quote name='kodave']You can't really blame Hastings if the USPS screwed up. Most retailers don't do that, even if Amazon might do it for you.[/QUOTE]

I've had UPS, OnTrac, FedEx, and USPS mess up my package delivery through Amazon before, so that means I should start blaming Amazon for their horrible shipping practices. God Amazon, why can't you control the couriers with your packages! ALL YOUR FAULT AMAZON!

Back to gaming things from GH:

I bought a Nyko PS3 Charge Base 3 (the latest model I believe) yesterday after my latest BR order for $2 + 9.XX shipping = $11.XX final price; good deal I think? since everywhere else it's $25 for this the latest model. If you order 2+ the shipping is cumulative FYI; it seems to decide by weight? It's being sent through priority though.

Also, for you guys that are getting your stuff lost in the mail; you can track your packages w/ the tracking number that they sent you w/ the shipped confirmation email!

[quote name='Carlanga']Also, for you guys that are getting your stuff lost in the mail; you can track your packages w/ the tracking number that they sent you w/ the shipped confirmation email![/QUOTE]

You can, but that doesn't stop the USPS from losing them.

I am also waiting for an order I made more than a month ago, the USPS has it sitting in limbo. I've called them twice, once to create a ticket and a week later to check on the status. Both times I was told it's still in the process of being delivered.

I don't know how much longer I should wait. The last update from the tracking info puts it at a sorting facility about 20 miles away and that was back in late June.

[quote name='eLefAdEr']I am also waiting for an order I made more than a month ago, the USPS has it sitting in limbo. I've called them twice, once to create a ticket and a week later to check on the status. Both times I was told it's still in the process of being delivered.

I don't know how much longer I should wait. The last update from the tracking info puts it at a sorting facility about 20 miles away and that was back in late June.[/QUOTE]

well apparently Hastings read posts here. Just got an email from them apologizing and said theyd refund my order that was lost. So I thank Hastings for its great customer service and apologize if any ill was said about them.

Looks like most of my "miraculously in-stock" order a couple nights ago is cancelled. Not surprising, I guess - lots of random limited stuff. Glad to see some of you had luck, and I can't say EVERYTHING got cancelled.

[quote name='supershammy']Looks like most of my "miraculously in-stock" order a couple nights ago is cancelled. Not surprising, I guess - lots of random limited stuff. Glad to see some of you had luck, and I can't say EVERYTHING got cancelled.[/QUOTE]

So far I have 1 of 3 items shipped from my order. I'm really hoping the other two ship.

Looks like I missed the fine print on the Books and CDs 40% off end date. I wish they'd put that on the actual section headers on the website. So books and CDs 40% off is over. 30% off movies seems to still be in effect. EDIT: Nope movies is over too.

And the new deal is 96 cent shipping for games. Math is in the first post for those who need it.

And of course the code expires within seconds of me going to checkout. That'll teach me to buy more crap than the crap I already don't need :roll:

Did batman stop working randomly for anyone else?

ahh i see

when do you guys think the next books deal will be it seems like they do it every few weeks lately

[quote name='cjenvy']when do you guys think the next books deal will be it seems like they do it every few weeks lately[/QUOTE]

There's no rhyme nor reason to Hastings' sales. But you're free to pick through the past deal history and look for any patterns. But this was 40% off so I wouldn't expect that for maybe another month if not longer. I'm sure something in the 20-30% off range will pop up soon-ish.

[quote name='supershammy']Looks like most of my "miraculously in-stock" order a couple nights ago is cancelled. Not surprising, I guess - lots of random limited stuff. Glad to see some of you had luck, and I can't say EVERYTHING got cancelled.[/QUOTE]

As of this morning every single one of mine that I ordered shipped. Im VERY surprised.

[quote name='AsherFischell']Man, I finally ordered a book I'd been watching last week and the damn mailman delivered to the wrong house. Additionally, GH jacked up the price four dollars right after I placed my order. Gah, hafta keep waiting, I guess.[/QUOTE]

UPS did that with my $1400 Macbook Pro. Luckily, I was watching UPS like a hawk and sneaked over to my neighbors house and checked the name on the box.

Called them and went medieval on their ass.

Everyone is complaining about packages getting delivered to the wrong house, but do you guys know how hard it is to deliver stuff? I once had to deliver something to Mary St. in Boise. Do you know how long it took me to find a Saint Mary? Months! Ended up being somewhere in Italy, no where CLOSE to Boise! And don't get me started on the "1 looks like a 7" Conspiracy!

Also, little sad Batman code died for books, but this is PROBABLY SAFER.

[quote name='kodave']The feasibility behind what you've suggested re: shipping everything together has been discussed in the past, and it's not really feasible. Think it through or search the thread for that particular discussion.[/QUOTE]

having worked for a massive retailer that ships with great success, you're full of crap. it would make much more financial sense to ship items in bulk, even if there was a 2 or 3 day delay. every store picks their online orders and puts them in a big box, ships them to a central facility, and ship in bulk to customers from one location. obviously you only do this when someone orders multiple items. there is absolutely no reason to ship 5 games in 5 shipments in 5 envelopes, other than management incompetence. you could even pre-ship multiple copies of popular items to that central facility, knowing that they will sell quickly, while maintaining a reasonable inventory in store.

[quote name='V3rtigo']having worked for a massive retailer that ships with great success, you're full of crap. it would make much more financial sense to ship items in bulk, even if there was a 2 or 3 day delay. every store picks their online orders and puts them in a big box, ships them to a central facility, and ship in bulk to customers from one location. obviously you only do this when someone orders multiple items. there is absolutely no reason to ship 5 games in 5 shipments in 5 envelopes, other than management incompetence. you could even pre-ship multiple copies of popular items to that central facility, knowing that they will sell quickly, while maintaining a reasonable inventory in store.[/QUOTE]

lol.

Hastings isn't a massive retailer. Think about it. What you suggest would require an entire shift in Hastings' business model. They're not a company with warehouses and 18 wheelers that move stock back and forth from a central location to stores. You'd have to have employees boxing up shit all day to ship to a central warehouse, then it all sits in the warehouse X amount of days until they decide items aren't in stock and cancel them, then they ship them out to you. It's more than just a 2-3 delay. And it requires a serious analysis of if it makes financial sense to open a central warehouse, pay full time workers to be doing this at the central location in addition to the ones who fetch and ship the stuff from the individual stores. Plus the cost of shipping the items from the stores to the central location, then reshipping it all to the customer. Amazon doesn't even ship all your shit in the same boxes. My Amazon orders come broken up from warehouses all around the country.

Should this infrastructure exist? Quite possibly. But Hastings would have to put the money into it, then everything changes.

Hastings is more like Amazon Marketplace or Alibris or other websites with a central marketplace and each store acts as an individual seller, only with set prices. I don't know why people can't grasp this, deal with it, and work with the system.

Their current shipping model including pricing covers their ass with shipping each item individually in the event they have to. It gets items in the mail the second they're available. As consumers, we are able to find deals on items including the shipping price on so many items that surpass current market rates for those items from other used or second hand retailers or individuals. What does it matter if it ships in 1 box or 20, other than possibly pissing off your postal carrier that he or she actually has to do their job and maybe walk mail up to your front door if it doesn't fit in your mail box? In the end we're finding deals and Hastings is making some money.

Last edited by a moderator:
They're publicly traded, that's massive enough to warrant an actual plan as opposed to shoving shit into envelopes and sending them out at random. They wouldn't even need a warehouse, just a flagship store in every region that would handle the work.

This is exactly how a $100M company becomes a $10M company. I don't know why you can't grasp the fact that a $100M company should have infrastructure built in to handle something as simple as shipping.

You know, the system you are talking about requires more handling and leads to more potential for lost inventory and user error, and even more potential for us not to get our packages. I will take 10 items in 10 envelopes before I'll take 8 items in 1 box where 3 of them are banged up worse because they didnt put packaging in the box and everything rammed up against each other and damaged them further than the envelope would have... Ive received more bent/beat up, etc boxes that were NEW from amazon in a box, then I have from hastings that are used in an envelope and were definitely damaged in shipping....

[quote name='V3rtigo']They're publicly traded, that's massive enough to warrant an actual plan as opposed to shoving shit into envelopes and sending them out at random. They wouldn't even need a warehouse, just a flagship store in every region that would handle the work.

This is exactly how a $100M company becomes a $10M company. I don't know why you can't grasp the fact that a $100M company should have infrastructure built in to handle something as simple as shipping.[/QUOTE]

The fact you don't think they need a warehouse to have a central shipping operation shows me you're talking out of your ass. What happens when that flagship store starts under performing and they have to shutter it like they've been shuttering stores across the country? Then there's all that extra cost and expense of relocating the central shipping operations and hiring new people to deal with them. Not to mention the shit storm that follows their central shipping location being shut down and the kind of delays that will cause. It can be as simple as a store lease becoming too high and leaving them with no choice but to shutter the store. That's how easily that idea can fall flat on its face. There is a big difference between running out of a retail store front and running out of a warehouse.

They may be publicly traded but they only have ~140 stores. Trading at $1.96. GameStop has 4,434 locations in the US. Trading at $15.80. Best Buy has 1,105 stores in the US. $17.05 stock price. Walmart has 2,500+ stores. ~$73 stock price. Target has 1,763 stores. ~$61 stock price. Toys R Us has 875 stores in the US. Privately owned. B&N has 691 locations in the US. Stock price ~$14. The parent company of f.y.e. and other similar stores has a $3.15 stock price and 440 stores.

Hastings is just a fraction of even its weakest competitor in terms of size and strength. Not to mention, most of those other stores and brands once sat much higher and much larger than they currently do.

For Hastings to open a central warehouse to ship out of, they'd have to overhaul all of their operations. Should they do it? None of us have the information to make that call.

But at the end of the day, as consumers, under their current model, we can still score deals that surpass other similar venues for buying similar (used) products online. So why bitch about something like multiple envelopes versus one box and just enjoy the deals? Because at the end of the day, its not going to be Hastings' lack of a central shipping warehouse that does them in.

They don't need a warehouse. Look at your order IDs and you can see exactly how much they're selling. We're talking about 500-1000 orders per day. That's 4-8 per store per day. Let's say 5 items per, that's 20-40 items per store per day. Probably much less when there are no sales, which seems to be most of the time nowadays. That in no way requires a warehouse. It also is really laughable that at those volumes, they still can't get inventory right.

And yes, they're trading at low prices, but they were an $8 stock 2 years ago. Toys R Us already went bankrupt once, hence why they have private buyers (who I actually happen to know). It's foolish to compare them to Wal-Mart and Target but there is no reason they aren't as successful as Half Price Books. Big surprise, Half Price Books doesn't sell online, which is probably for the best. If you're not going to do it right, then why bother? Hastings bothered, and they're closing down stores and running a half-assed site. Maybe the Toys R Us owners will buy it for pennies on the dollar.

[quote name='kodave']The fact you don't think they need a warehouse to have a central shipping operation shows me you're talking out of your ass. What happens when that flagship store starts under performing and they have to shutter it like they've been shuttering stores across the country? Then there's all that extra cost and expense of relocating the central shipping operations and hiring new people to deal with them. Not to mention the shit storm that follows their central shipping location being shut down and the kind of delays that will cause. It can be as simple as a store lease becoming too high and leaving them with no choice but to shutter the store. That's how easily that idea can fall flat on its face. There is a big difference between running out of a retail store front and running out of a warehouse.

They may be publicly traded but they only have ~140 stores. Trading at $1.96. GameStop has 4,434 locations in the US. Trading at $15.80. Best Buy has 1,105 stores in the US. $17.05 stock price. Walmart has 2,500+ stores. ~$73 stock price. Target has 1,763 stores. ~$61 stock price. Toys R Us has 875 stores in the US. Privately owned. B&N has 691 locations in the US. Stock price ~$14. The parent company of f.y.e. and other similar stores has a $3.15 stock price and 440 stores.

Hastings is just a fraction of even its weakest competitor in terms of size and strength. Not to mention, most of those other stores and brands once sat much higher and much larger than they currently do.

For Hastings to open a central warehouse to ship out of, they'd have to overhaul all of their operations. Should they do it? None of us have the information to make that call.

But at the end of the day, as consumers, under their current model, we can still score deals that surpass other similar venues for buying similar (used) products online. So why bitch about something like multiple envelopes versus one box and just enjoy the deals? Because at the end of the day, its not going to be Hastings' lack of a central shipping warehouse that does them in.[/QUOTE]

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this, but a lot of games have dropped down to $1.99 like with the cheapest books and DVDs. With the 99 cents shipping, you can really make out like a bandit on some good older games.

There are a lot more than that. Most of them are previously viewed (ex-rentals), but for the price, who cares.

Some non-$2 deals are:

Two Worlds II (PS3) - $5.87
House of the Dead Overkill: Extended Edition - $6.76
MAG - $3.97
Need for Speed Shuft 2 Unleashed (Xbox 360) - $4.05
Infinite Undiscovery - $3.44

$5 new games:
Blazblue: Calamity Trigger (PS3)
Enslaved (PS3)
Front Mission Evolved (Xbox 360)

Half price books is also almost entirely books. If youve ever gone into their stores, they have a small tiny section for movies. Hastings sells a lot more items than half price books. Not to mention HPB has TERRIBLE prices on anything besides books unless you use one of their % off coupons and then you might be able to find something ok, but even at 50% off a lot of their dvd/tv set prices are outrageous. Ive rarely found anything besides books at a decent price without a large discount coupon, and sometimes even then I cant find anything.Also, if you call 2-3 large sales a month hardly ever having sales... geez. I dont think my bank account could handle more than that.Incase you didnt get the memo, we are still in a recession. The first thing people stop buying are stuff they dont need, movies, games, cds, etc. Books still do ok cause they are on average cheaper new than the other items. So duh, stores like hastings are going to suffer more than other stores. Not to say that there arent things they can improve, like the training to their employees on what is acceptable to trade in or their online ordering system (their whole website to be exact)... but stuff like how many envelopes you get are so low on the list its stupid.

[quote name='hamokmonky']Half price books is also almost entirely books. If youve ever gone into their stores, they have a small tiny section for movies. Hastings sells a lot more items than half price books. Not to mention HPB has TERRIBLE prices on anything besides books unless you use one of their % off coupons and then you might be able to find something ok, but even at 50% off a lot of their dvd/tv set prices are outrageous. Ive rarely found anything besides books at a decent price without a large discount coupon, and sometimes even then I cant find anything.Also, if you call 2-3 large sales a month hardly ever having sales... geez. I dont think my bank account could handle more than that.[/QUOTE]

HPB are all YMMV on selections. My store actually has tons of movies, music, and video games, but another one farther away has mostly just movies, but not much of a game or music selection. My store even has game consoles as well. So I wouldn't go categorizing HPB as exactly the same, or even remotely the same.

The good thing HPB though is you can actually haggle with them on prices of certain items if you talk to the main sorter in the back of the store. They always were glad to match online prices for me on the used stuff, and they even let me stack coupons on top of them.

And to be fair, their name is Half Price Books, so just the fact some stores even have such a nice selection is great.

Not to derail your conversation, but I just didn't feel it was fair picking on HPB just based on your experience.

bread's done
Back