The Last Days of the Hastings / GoHastings Universe - Check the latest posts!

kodave

CAGiversary!
Feedback
13 (100%)
BEFORE YOU ASK A QUESTION IN THIS THREAD, READ THE FAQ BELOW!

GoHastings.Com Promotional Deals and Codes

AMARILLO, Texas - Texas-based Hastings Entertainment Inc. has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Company officials say the reorganization filing includes its parent company, Draw Another Circle, and sister brands Movie Stop and SPImages.

A statement posted Monday on the Hastings website says the Chapter 11 process will help prepare the business for an intended sale, while providing protections and financing to continue operations. Further financial details weren’t released.

Hastings will no longer accept or honor deposits for movie purchases and will no longer rent games. Hastings gift cards expire July 13, 2016. The company’s buyback program has been suspended.
Full List Of Online Coupon Codes

In-Store Sales / Discounts / Liquidation will vary from Online Sale / Coupon offerings

Check latest posts in thread for more specific updates

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Please read me before posting a question!

Click the "Show Spoiler" button below to see the FAQ
General
Question: What is Hastings / GoHastings.Com?
Answer:
Founded in 1968, Hastings Entertainment, Inc. is a leading multimedia entertainment retailer that combines the sale of new and used books, videos, video games and CDs, and trends and consumer electronics merchandise, with the rental of videos and video games in a superstore format. Currently there are 146 superstores. Hastings also operates www.goHastings.com, an e-commerce Internet Web site that makes available to customers new and used entertainment products and unique, contemporary gifts and toys.

Question: Gee, this is a really long FAQ. Doesn't Hasting have their own FAQ for customers?
Answer:
Hastings does have their own FAQ. You can read Hastings' official FAQ by clicking here. However, this FAQ goes into many details that Hastings' own FAQ does not. So be sure to read through all of this before asking a question!

NEW!
Question: How can I filter and sort Used Video Games to remove the out of stock items?
Answer:
Find the "Stock" dropdown menu option when browsing the used game selection and choose "In Stock." Games that have been purchased in the past day and are now out of stock may still appear.

NEW!
Question: Where can I find clearance video games and other clearance items?
Answer:
Clearance Video Games are in New condition; Plus $2.28 shipping per game
Click Here For Overall Video Game Clearance Items > Sort by Platform on the drop down menu
Click Here For Overall Clearance Items

Game / Item Condition
Question: What is the difference between "used" and "previously viewed" items on GoHastings.Com?
Answer:
"Used" games and movies are items that have been traded in to a Hastings retail location by a customer. "Previously viewed" games and movies are items that Hastings has rented out to customers at their retail locations but are now selling to the public.

When it comes to video games, most CAGs report no real difference between the two other than some ancillary stickers, but both "used" and "previously viewed" games are subject to being scratched, abused, or incomplete depending how well it was previously taken care of.

When it comes to movies, the "Previously Viewed" rental versions often lack features from the full retail versions and may come in different boxes, have different UPCs, have white barcode stickers around the center ring of the disc, etc.

You may encounter a situation where a customer has purchased a "previously used" item from Hastings, then traded it back into Hastings, thus making it a "used" item. This practiced is frowned upon by most customers, but Hastings has shown next to no incentive to change it. It mostly happens with movies.

Question: Do used and previously viewed video games come complete with the original case and manual?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com states as follows:

Due to the nature of used products; booklet inserts, digital movie downloads and manuals are not guaranteed in our used video games, movies and CDs.
However, the vast majority of CAGs have reported that a large majority of their games do arrive complete. Incomplete games are more of an exception rather than the rule.

Question: Are used collector's editions and limited editions of games guaranteed to come with extras like bonus discs, statutes, and other items?
Answer:
No. Hopefully the used CE and LE games would at least come with all of the discs, but this is not guaranteed. And there is absolutely no guarantee other physical items or "swag" will be included for these used copies. However, CAGs have reported that they have purchased used CE and LE games and received all of the extras. If you order a used CE or LE and it does not come with the extras, just contact customer service and ask about a return/refund.

Question: What condition do "used" and "previously viewed" discs come in?
Answer:
Mosts CAGs seem to get games in good, playable condition if not better. However, there have been cases of receiving a game so scratched up that it would not load/play. These games can be returned to GoHastings.Com at no cost to the customer for a full refund.

NEW!
Question: Are New condition games factory sealed or gutted and re-sealed?
Answer:
As of mid-2013, Hastings retail stores have adopted a policy of gutting games then storing the game discs, manuals and DLC papers separately. This is so they do not have to lock up games or put security cases on games yet still allow the customer to physically handle the boxes in-store. When a new game is sold, Hasting will either re-seal the game or they will place the game in a bag that cannot be opened if you want to return the game as new.

Shipping
Question: Why are my items shipping individually? Why does GoHastings.Com include a shipping charge for each individual item ordered?
Answer:
Hastings does not have warehouses for fulfilling internet orders. All items are shipped from individual brick and mortar retail stores. If your order contains multiple items, your order may ship from multiple locations at different times if one location does not have all of the items you ordered. Because items could ship from more than one location, GoHastings.Com charges a per item shipping fee. Yes this can be frustrating, so its best to either get over it if you intend to shop at GoHastings.Com, or if you can't get over it, shop elsewhere. Like all "deals," include the shipping price per item into consideration for the total cost of the game being purchased.

UPDATED!
Question: How much is shipping per item?
Answer:
Video Games and PC software ship for $2.28 per item.

CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays ship for $1.29 per item.

Books have a per-order charge of $3.00 plus $0.99 shipping per book ordered.

Game Hardware, Electronics and Trends have a per-order charge of $1.99 plus $0.10 shipping per ounce for each item ordered.

Full shipping information, including expedited shipping prices, can be found HERE.

Occasionally, GoHastings.Com offers free or reduced shipping promotions.

Please note, books used to ship for $0.96 per order with no per item charge but Hastings discontinued that pricing scheme as of January 10, 2014. CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays used to ship for $0.96 per item, but Hastings raised that price to the current cost as of approximately May 25, 2014.

Question: How long does it take GoHastings.Com to ship my order?
Answer:
Standard Shipping:
Order processed within 48 Hours
Shipping time is 3-10 Days

Priority / Expedited Mail:
Order processed within 48 Hours
Shipping time is 2 - 3 Days

Question: What service does GoHastings.Com use to ship items?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com primarily ships items using the United States Postal Service (USPS). Video games ship via USPS First Class Mail. Books, movies and music ship via USPS Media Mail. Larger orders may ship via UPS.

Question: Will GoHastings.Com give me a tracking number for each shipment?
Answer:
Every shipment usually has a tracking number associated with it. If you did not see a tracking number in the shipping confirmation email, check your order history on GoHastings.Com.

Question: What will GoHastings.Com ship my items in?
Answer:
It will vary. Hastings might use a yellow paper mailer with bubble padding on the inside. They might use a white plastic envelope with bubble padding on the inside. They might use a stiffer paper/lighter cardboard envelope with no padding. Hastings will try to jam as many items into any of the above envelope options as possible, resulting in frequently damaged books, broken game/movie/CD cases, etc. On rare occasions, someone at Hastings will have the common sense to put larger or heavier items into a box for safer shipping, but even then they will neglect to use padding. Hastings used to ship items in a white plastic poly-bag with absolutely no padding or protection, but after numerous complaints, the company claims these are supposed to be phased out and no longer in use. They still pop up from time to time.

Order Cancellations / Out Of Stock Items
Question: Why was an item cancelled out of my order? Why is that item back in stock right now?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com fills their stock from their Hastings brick and mortar retail locations. Additionally, GoHastings.Com sells items on Amazon and eBay. Their online inventory system is antiquated and does not update stock instantaneously across physical store locations, GoHastings.Com, Amazon, and eBay. Therefore if someone bought the same item first in store/on Amazon/on eBay, their order will be fulfilled first and your item will be cancelled if there is not enough inventory to go around, even though you thought the item was in stock. Yes this sucks, but now you know about it so you can simply choose not to shop at GoHastings in the future if you can't deal with it. No need to endlessly complain about it in posts. Consider writing a letter to the president of Hastings, whose contact info can be found below this FAQ.

Because Hastings' physical store locations accept trade-ins for the used items that they sell, an item that was out of stock may quickly come back into stock if someone trades in the same item, or if someone returns the same item. However, as stated above, GoHastings.Com has an antiquated online system, and they will not be able to fulfill any items on your order once they have been canceled. You will have to re-order the item, at which time the promotion you initially ordered under may have expired. You can try to contact customer service to see if they will create a new order for you with the price point your originally ordered under.

Question: I just ordered something and now it shows as out of stock, either on my order history page or on the item's page. Will my order be canceled?
Answer:
Probably not, but it is still possible. GoHastings.Com updates its inventory count immediately when sales from the website are made. Therefore if they had one item, and you ordered it, it will now show up as out of stock on GoHastings.Com. However, if someone ordered it off Hastings' eBay or Amazon Marketplace listings first, they may fulfill that order first and cancel your order. Also, if someone walks into the store and purchases the item before it is pulled to ship to you, your order will be canceled. Additionally, store employees may not be able to locate the item and thus cancel your order for that reason. Hastings also has a problem on their website where items in your order history show as out of stock, sometimes regardless of the actual stock. Your best bet is to take a deep breath and not worry about it.

Sale Pricing
NEW!
Question: How can I tell if one promotion or discount is better than a different commonly offered promotion or discount?
Answer:
The following guides are only for video games since they take into consideration the $2.28 per game shipping price. You will have to do your own math for music/movies, books, trends/electronics and other shipping sales.

Remember, stock and prices fluctuate constantly and may not be the same by the next sale.

The math in the Buy 2 Get 1 For $1 deal assumes you choose three equally priced games to maximize your potential savings.

Free Shipping:
Vs. 96¢ Per Item Shipping: Use free shipping, obviously
Vs. 20% Off: Use free shipping with items $11.40 and less
Vs. 25% Off: Use free shipping with items $9.12 and less
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: Use free shipping with items $7.84 and less
Vs. 30% Off: Use free shipping with items $7.60 and less
Vs. 33% Off: Use free shipping with items $6.91 and less
Vs. 40% Off: Use free shipping with items $5.70 and less

96 Cent Shipping:
Vs. Free Shipping: Wait for Free Shipping, obviously
Vs. 20% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $6.60 and less
Vs. 25% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $5.28 and less
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.96 and less
Vs. 30% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.40 and less
Vs. 33% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.00 and less
Vs. 40% Off: Use 96¢ shipping with items $3.30 and less

20% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $11.40, use 20% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $6.60, use 20% Off
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: For items under $2.50, use 20% Off

25% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $9.12, use 25% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $5.28, use 20% Off
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: For items under $4.00, use 25% Off

30% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $7.60, use 30% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $4.40, use 30% Off
Vs. Buy 2 Used Games, Get 1 For $1: For items under $10, use 30% Off

Buy 2 Get 1 For $1:
Vs. Free Shipping: Use free shipping with items $7.84 and less
Vs. $0.96 Shipping: Use 96¢ shipping with items $4.96 and less

33% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $6.91, use 33% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $4.00, use 33% Off

40% Off:
Vs. Free Shipping: For items over $5.70, use 40% Off
Vs. 96 Cent Shipping: For items over $3.30, use 40% Off

Question: GoHastings.Com totally raised their prices prior to the sale! OMGWTFBBQSauce! Should I call the police / attorney general / president of the United States?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com claims to not raise their prices prior to sales. Their pricing is based on algorithms that consider things like supply, demand, competitor pricing, market rates, etc. If a game was $10 before the sale and $15 24 hours into the sale, chances are there were only a couple of copies of the game and someone bought one when the sale started, thus affecting the supply and demand. You are not the only one monitoring a Wish List on GoHastings.Com. However, there have been some clearly documented instances of raising prices right before a sale, especially with books rather than games.

Promotional Deal Codes
Question: Why is the promotional code not applying to my order?
Answer:
Certain M-rated games carry the disclaimer that "This item is only available for purchase by customers age 17 and older." If you have such a game in your cart, be sure to check the box by the "Check Out" button that says "I am at least 17 years of age" before clicking the "Apply Promotion Code" button to apply the promotional code.

Additionally, some promotional codes only apply to select qualifying titles. Be sure that your order only contains such titles. Occasionally the GoHastings.Com programmers miss something and games that are supposed to qualify do not work with the promotional code. If this is the case, please contact GoHastings.Com. Contact information can be found below this FAQ.

Question: Can I use more than one promotional code at the same time? Can I stack promotional codes?
Answer:
No, you can only apply one promotional code per order. This prevents code stacking. If there are two promotional codes valid at the same time that you would like to use, you must place two or more separate orders.

Question: What time do promotions normally begin / end?
Answer:
GoHastings.Com operates based on the Central Time Zone. Weekly promotions usually start on Sunday and usually last the whole week. Various other promotions may have different start times and durations. Promotions usually begin at midnight Central time. However, sometimes the new promotions take a while to go "live" on the website, so always double check your order that the correct discounted price is shown.

Order Problems and Contacting Customer Service
(Including Returns/Replacements for Wrong Item or Damaged/Defective Item)

Question: I am trying to place an order and have entered my correct shipping address, billing address and credit card info. The check out page says there is a problem with my information and I need to correct it, but nothing is incorrect. What is going on?!
Answer:
This is a random error that seems to affect some people and not others. There is no known cause for it. People have reported it occurring with different credit card companies (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, etc.). Some people think it has to do with what web browser you use, so perhaps try a different one. Some people have reported they can't place orders from computers or IP numbers located out of the state where their billing or shipping address is located. The bottom line is there is no fix for this problem from the customer's end. Your only attempt to get it resolved will be to CALL Customer Service. Contact details for Customer Service can be found below this FAQ.

Question: GoHastings.Com sent me a defective game or the wrong game. How do I return it? Can they send me a replacement/correct item?
Answer:
Contact customer service to initiate the return process. Customer service contact information is located in this post, below the FAQ. GoHastings.Com will not charge you to ship the game back, and they will give you a full refund, including what you paid initially for shipping. In some instances, they will simply refund the cost of the item and let you keep the defective or wrong item for free. GoHastings.Com will not normally send you a replacement item if you received a defective or incorrect item. They will usually tell you that you must place a new order, at which time the promotion you initially ordered under may have expired. You can try to contact customer service to see if they will create a new order for you with the price point you originally ordered under.

Question: Something went wrong with my order. How do I contact customer service?
Answer:
Customer service contact information is located in this post, below the FAQ.

Question: Should I call or email customer service?
Answer:
CAGs have reported mixed experiences with both calling and emailing Hastings Customer Service. It is up to your preference. If you are contacting them regarding credit card issues, it may be best to call rather than put highly sensitive information in an email. If you call during business hours, your issue may be resolved right then over the phone. You might also have to wait on hold for a long period of time during peak hours. If you email, you may have to wait up to 48 hours to get a response, especially if you email over the weekend. Often the email replies fail to understand your entire issue with your order. Customer Service contact information is located in this post, below the FAQ.

Question: What is GoHastings.Com return policy?
Answer:
The GoHastings.Com website states their return policy is as follows:

All items purchased through gohastings.com may be returned for a full refund of the purchase price, if they meet the following criteria:

• All new items are in original unopened packaging.
  • Return of product is within 30 days of shipping date.
  • Returned product(s) must be in the original packaging and include any manuals, cabling and accessories in saleable condition.
  • Video Game Systems that are found defective within the 30 day window must make a return using the manufacturer's warranty.
Shipping and handling charges are not refundable.
Note: Products purchased through goHastings.com may not be returned to a physical store location for refund.
However, this can be confusing considering used items, such as games, come in opened packaging. Normally GoHastings has no problem with returns for defective or incorrect used game shipments that are promptly requested. At the very least, if a game item was found to be defective within 30 days of the shipping date, you would have a good argument toward customer service that you should be able to return the game item. Abusing the return policy to replace your own broken items with items from GoHastings inventory wouldn't be a good idea.

Miscellaneous
Question: Does GoHastings.Com collect sales tax?
Answer:
According to GoHastings.Com:

Currently goHastings.com only charges sales tax in states where we have a physical presence. Sales taxes are calculated during the ordering process and will show tax charged for the delivery destination, based on current tax rates. Shipping charges may also be subject to tax in certain states.
Currently sales tax is automatically applied in the following states:

• Alabama
  • Arkansas
  • Arizona
  • Colorado
  • Florida
  • Georgia
  • Idaho
  • Indiana
  • Kansas
  • Kentucky
  • Louisiana
  • Missouri
  • Montana
  • Nebraska
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • Oklahoma
  • Tennessee
  • Texas
  • Utah
  • Washington
  • Wyoming

Question: Where are Hastings brick and mortar retail stores located?
Answer:
Question: Are the online prices the same in store? Are the online specials valid in store?
Answer:
Generally speaking, no. For used items and for some new items, GoHastings.Com uses algorithms where prices can change multiple times in one day. Hastings retail locations have their own set prices. See your local store for more information. Additionally, online special sales and promotions are not valid in store. Sometimes Hastings runs the same pricing online and in store for certain items.

Question: Are the brick and mortar retail location advertisements valid online?
Answer:
Generally the prices in the retail location advertisements are not valid on GoHastings.Com. Sometimes Hastings runs the same pricing online and in store for certain items.

Customer Service Contact Information
Customer Service Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday 9 am through 9 pm CST
Toll Free Phone Number: (877)-HASTINGS (427-8464)
Fax: (806) 467-8330

Email: service[at]gohastings.com
PM the GoHastings Representative on CAG: gohastings (John) [Not active since October 2013]

Regular Mail:
Hastings Internet, Inc.
3601 Plains Blvd.
Amarillo, TX 79102

Comments to the President:
John Marmaduke, President & CEO RIP In Peace

Alan Van Ongevalle, President & COO
Hastings Entertainment, Inc.
PO Box 35350
Amarillo, TX 79120-5350

GoHastings.Com / Hastings Entertainment Online Information
Retail Store Weekly Ad: http://www.gohastings.com/custserv/custserv.jsp?pageName=StoreAd
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/gohastings?sk=wall
Twitter: @gohastings
Google+: https://plus.google.com/107834874893127887270/posts
Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/gohastings/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/gohastings
Is the GoHastings.Com server down for everyone or just me?: Click here to check

Last edited by a moderator:
For the 3 for $21 used books and was able to get The Walking Dead HC Book 1, X-Men: Schism HC and The Thanos Imperative HC. Hopefully the order doesn't get canceled. Other books that work with the promotion (ultimate comics the ultimates hc v2), (uncanny x-force hc v1), (Final Crisis hc), (Batman & Robin hc v1 new 52) and (saga of the swamp thing hc book 1)

[quote name='Tsel']Looks like that secret GoHastings coupon Twitter is no more.[/QUOTE]

It's still there. As is the website. They don't have anything for next week listed. Maybe Hastings found the technical loophole. Maybe something else is up.

Today in the mail I got a some books.

In one poly bag was two mass market paperback from the $5 for $10, and a supposedly "new" copy of Batman: Contagion. If it was new, it had been read through in the store multiple times. So I'm a little disappointed it wasn't crisper. It was the latest release of the book so the cover art had Batman on it and not just the toxic/radioactive symbol on the cover like the edition before it. So that's good. For $14.45 it was a decent deal considering it was hovering around $38 on Hastings before this and I randomly came across it with the much lower price. One of the two new mass market paperbacks had the cover creased in several different spots, so its only "new" in the sense no one ever read it before. That's was also slightly disappointing. The other mass market paperback (the novelization of The Dark Knight Rises) had a nick on the cover, but that wasn't a big deal. For all three of those books, I have no idea if any of the wear was from the poly bag or if it happened in store, but the poly bag makes me suspicious.

I also received three books from the 3 for $21 promotion: In a bubble mailer I got Kick-Ass 2 HC. The dust jacket has a little wear but otherwise its in good shape. In another bubble mailer I got a Captain America HC, but the book was not in very good shape at all. I'm debating a return on that one. And finally in my last bubble mailer, I got the Batman: Harley and Ivy TPB. It has a little wear, but otherwise is in decent shape. For some reason Hastings had it listed at $7.xx. Given the asking price for it these days, I decided to jump on it now for $7 rather than risk someone else coming across it.

[quote name='bgame2']Sorry for not knowing this already, but what day is it that we usually hear about the upcoming promo?[/QUOTE]

Well, we'll know for sure around midnight Saturday night/Sunday morning.

We used to be able to see ahead of time what the promotion was by about Thursday, but Hastings closed that loophole on us CAGs.

I don't know if that Twitter was consistent with the days/times it found out about the upcoming promotions. But I think it was usually by Friday.

[quote name='kodave']Well, we'll know for sure around midnight Saturday night/Sunday morning.

We used to be able to see ahead of time what the promotion was by about Thursday, but Hastings closed that loophole on us CAGs.

I don't know if that Twitter was consistent with the days/times it found out about the upcoming promotions. But I think it was usually by Friday.[/QUOTE]

considering it was made known on this forum, where some hastings employees frequent, im not all that surprised it was taken down. Kind of disappointed though, I liked knowing ahead of time even if it didnt change my buying habits any. It did make me stay awake til way too late once for a sale I really wanted to get something at though lol

Could someone PM me a media mail return label for them? I've got a first class one, but I'm just returning books so media mail will suffice instead.

[quote name='hamokmonky']considering it was made known on this forum, where some hastings employees frequent, im not all that surprised it was taken down. Kind of disappointed though, I liked knowing ahead of time even if it didnt change my buying habits any. It did make me stay awake til way too late once for a sale I really wanted to get something at though lol[/QUOTE]

im suprised it lasted this long after the reveal

I got my blu-ray order in today. Never got any shipping emails. All three came in a single polymailer.

Star Driver arrived with a security seal on top. All good there.
I ordered two of the Dark Knight limited editions and both came without the extras. One came in a steelbook, but the steelbook was broken in half. Both of those are going back. I don't think it was damaged in transit but it could have been.

I also sniped a :ps2: Silent Hill 4 cheap. That also came in a polymailer. It came complete and the cover art and manual are in fairly good condition. The disk looks pretty bad, though. I'll have to test it later to see if it works. That one originated in Grand Island, NE 68801.

Edit: Forgot the tracking number is on the packaging. The blus are from Grand Junction, CO 81504.

got 5 items today:

1 book from the 3 for 21, was in perfect condition. Came in a bubble envelope (was a rather large paperback).

2 Blus from the 3 for 21, both in perfect condition. In a polymailer. One was definitely factory sealed, both came with slipcovers and the right amount of discs.

1 Blu from the 3 for 21, in perfect condition. In a polymailer.

1 DVD box set ordered from amazons listing because it was significantly cheaper, go figure. Came in a poly mailer. I was extremely surprised there was no damage to the case since its a more brittle type. Discs were loose but appear ok.

Finally received order from 9/2 today. Sent CS an e-mail with no response. Heroes S2 still shrink-wrapped and Fable 3 has an unused DLC code. Decent.

(post to be read in the gravelly tone of Rorschach)

First post has been updated.

Put in another order before the 3 for $21 expired.

I'll probably be passing on this sale unless something good pops up.

damnit, i can't find any combination of games/movies/books on my wish list that would make this sale worth it at this moment. might be worth it if i got 2 higher priced used games but dont feel like spending that much. would rather have a 20% of used for some of the things that were in stock but couldnt apply to the 3 for 21 sale

at least ill save some money for next weeks sale.

Will GH ever fix their fucking search results system? I hate seeing an item in stock and then end up being sold out when you try to add it!:bomb:

BTW, has anyone ever seen used Archer Blu-Rays in stock? It seems like they never have them.

[quote name='Vinny']Will GH ever fix their fucking search results system? I hate seeing an item in stock and then end up being sold out when you try to add it!:bomb:

BTW, has anyone ever seen used Archer Blu-Rays in stock? It seems like they never have them.[/QUOTE]

In order for them to fix their search system they are creating an entirely new system for it, and a completely different layout, so until they complete that we'll be stuck with the same problems with stock for now.

And Archer used to be in stock all the time a few months back, but there's been so many good sales as of late, not surprised it gone.

[quote name='Vinny']Just my luck. Maybe I should just pass since I hear the show is censored even on DVD/BD.[/QUOTE]

It is, but it's still hilarious. :3

Wasn't much in stock I needed so I just grabbed some collection fillers.

iconps3.gif
Battlefield 3 LE & Dead Rising 2 OtR = $26.xx shipped
iconps3.gif
Saw II & Sims 3: Pets = $19.xx shipped

Would've been nice to find something to go with Tales F

So I was looking at Hastings' Facebook page and came across some posts about return policy changes that basically point back to another forum (a Blu-Ray forum). Here is the relevant post:

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I registered specifically so I could pass on some Hastings policy change information that I received via an overly chatty representative in their customer service department earlier this week. I apologize in advance for the length of this post.

Hastings has always been exceptional about correcting mistakes when one is made. Many times they would simply refund the amount of a purchased product and let you keep it if it was the wrong item, non-functioning, etc. Also, they were notorious for being generous if you received the wrong item and wished to purchase it at the same price when it came back in stock at a later date. In such a case, they would create a ticket, have you reorder when in stock, then refund the difference to make it the same price as your original order.

When I called earlier this week to do just that (I received A Bug's Life DVD rather than BD/DVD combo) I was informed that my only two options were to keep it with no refund being issued or return it for a refund minus the cost of original shipping. When I inquired about purchasing the product at the same sale price on a later date, I was informed that this was no longer permitted.

Per the agent I spoke with, strict policies were put in place as of September 1st. Apparently, too many people were placing orders, then calling and requesting full or partial refunds on many items of their orders. Others were seeking reimbursement for damaged art work or cases which Hastings does not guarantee but had been gracious enough to offer partial refunds for. Obviously this does not allow them to make a good profit if they are essentially giving away product or refunds left and right based on customer demands.

The agent went on to tell me that there will no longer be the option to keep the item received whether it is damaged, incorrect, or whatever, and still receive a refund if the total price of the item pre-discounts is greater than $5. They have also nixed any courtesy refunds for damaged cases and art work. Additionally, they have killed off the option to return items and buy them again at the same price (via manual price adjustment) at a later time.

Regardless of the customer's product problem, if the total price is over five bucks, the customer now has two choices:

1) Keep the wrong/damaged/etc. item and be billed for it accordingly

2) Return said item (Hastings will pay for return shipping) and receive a refund less the original shipping costs once the item is processed in their central hub.

I do not know how it is handled if the item is less than $5; she did not specify. All in all, it sounds like a case of the bad apple (or many bad apples) spoiling the bunch, but Hastings had to tighten up policy to prevent abuse of the generous system they had tried to keep in place.

Don't take this as the gospel, but based on the details the representative gave me and the specifics she listed, it sounded like she knew what she was talking about. So, if you find your experiences with Hastings customer service to be different than before, it is likely because of these new policy implementations.
From my experience, I've always received a full refund, including what I paid for shipping, when I've had to return video games. I've never returned a DVD to my recollection. Never bought any CDs. And with books, since they switched to 96 cent shipping, I've never received any kind of shipping discount if I had to return an item from an order (nor was I expecting one since all of my book orders where I've had to do a return have been multi-book where I kept other books).

But if they're now going to make you eat the shipping costs, that seems like it's really going to make people even more uneasy about buying video games if they're going to be out $2.28 for, say, not receiving a working product.

I just had one video game return process and post to my credit card account and I got the price + shipping back. I've actually got a book return from an order that was just that book that's been processed and I'm just waiting for the credit back to appear on my account. I'm curious if I'll get the 96 cent shipping back on that. I've also got two video game returns from my smoke-game and my Previously-Viewed-Instead-Of-Used game processed but the posting to my credit card account pending. Now I'm really curious if they're going to give me my full refund or if they're going to try to make me eat $4.56.

[quote name='kodave']So I was looking at Hastings' Facebook page and came across some posts about return policy changes that basically point back to another forum (a Blu-Ray forum). Here is the relevant post:

From my experience, I've always received a full refund, including what I paid for shipping, when I've had to return video games. I've never returned a DVD to my recollection. Never bought any CDs. And with books, since they switched to 96 cent shipping, I've never received any kind of shipping discount if I had to return an item from an order (nor was I expecting one since all of my book orders where I've had to do a return have been multi-book where I kept other books).

But if they're now going to make you eat the shipping costs, that seems like it's really going to make people even more uneasy about buying video games if they're going to be out $2.28 for, say, not receiving a working product.

I just had one video game return process and post to my credit card account and I got the price + shipping back. I've actually got a book return from an order that was just that book that's been processed and I'm just waiting for the credit back to appear on my account. I'm curious if I'll get the 96 cent shipping back on that. I've also got two video game returns from my smoke-game and my Previously-Viewed-Instead-Of-Used game processed but the posting to my credit card account pending. Now I'm really curious if they're going to give me my full refund or if they're going to try to make me eat $4.56.[/QUOTE]

I really hope that the CS rep just didnt really know what she was talking about, because charging people shipping for an issue that was your fault is just wrong. I can understand requiring a return of the item instead of letting you keep it (although I will be disappointed to have to repackage all of the things I get and go to the post office to drop it off - what a hassle). Hastings CS is the reason I keep coming back and "chancing" the orders. If they require me to pay postage without a chance at refund, then chances are I will buy considerably less.

[quote name='hamokmonky']I really hope that the CS rep just didnt really know what she was talking about, because charging people shipping for an issue that was your fault is just wrong. I can understand requiring a return of the item instead of letting you keep it (although I will be disappointed to have to repackage all of the things I get and go to the post office to drop it off - what a hassle). Hastings CS is the reason I keep coming back and "chancing" the orders. If they require me to pay postage without a chance at refund, then chances are I will buy considerably less.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree.

About 30% of my purchases have been defective (note: I buy CDs), but the customer service has been so wonderful that I have kept buying buying buying.

The rep seemed to forget another option. Filing a credit card dispute for not receiving the correct item. I will be damned if I am going to pay shipping costs for an item that is damaged, not working or incorrect.

I ended up having to return a few items about a week ago and can somewhat confirm the no refund of shipping costs. This was the return email I got from GoHastings customer service:

I have attached a merchandise return label for your convenience. Please follow the instructions on the attachment to return the item to our facility. Using your packing slip as a return form, please write the reason for the return on the front of the packing slip. If you do not have the packing slip, please write the reason for the return and the order number on a piece of paper.

Please allow 2-3 weeks for the return process. Once processed, you will receive an email. The refund should post back to your method of payment in 2-10 business days dependant upon your bank’s policies. Your shipping cost will not be included in the refund.

Please feel free to contact us at 877-427-8464 during the hours of 9 am-9 pm Monday-Friday, Central Standard Time if you would like immediate assistance. Please note that our customer service representatives can not take orders by phone. Thank you for your patience and your loyalty.
I just checked my account and I did receive the shipping amount in my refund, so maybe the policy hasn't fully gone into effect yet?

I did just return something a week ago, but havent gotten the refund posted yet. We will see, but there was 0 mention of shipping costs not being refunded by the person on the phone, which was about 2 weeks ago.

It would suck if this policy changed, but to be honest even from this thread seems some people have been overly picky about the quality of their products and returns so I guess they had to tighten that belt strap.

I can understand charging the buyer shipping if the return is due to something undesirable, but not gaurenteed by the current system (like smoke or rips in the artwork) but if the item is defective? Thats not being overly picky....

I've never had this problem at all before, but the Hastings rep also just confirmed there is indeed a "$5" policy for the return of items. However the rep did not confirm whether or not shipping cost are returned as per the $5 policy, so now it's getting more complicated. I think it is about time to have a long talk with Hastings again to clarify these issues.

Man, I guess I've just stacked up on too many GoHastings strategy guides already. Too bad - these sales are great for getting guides of older games for ~$4. But after looking through 14 pages of video game strategy guides here, there's nothing I want. :cry:

Thanks anyway for the tip, though. Good sale. :D

I have to say, the more people are posting the more worried i am getting. If hastings CS/return policies goes to heck in a handbasket like it might be appearing, then their laxidasical trade in standards will keep me from ordering from them, and I am a long standing purchaser of probably thousands of items.

is there some way to ensure i get the 50% off a certain game? do i have to buy them in a certain order?
i want the more expensive game for 50% off....anyone?

[quote name='fyahbwoy']is there some way to ensure i get the 50% off a certain game? do i have to buy them in a certain order?
i want the more expensive game for 50% off....anyone?[/QUOTE]

Are you serious?

The way these deals work most of the time is the lowest price item will be 50% off. It's computer automated. No way to game the system, unless I missed a glitch or something.

yea dude, you cant pick what game you get 50% off on, it automatically gives you 50% on the lower priced game, otherwise this deal would be insane... purchase something for $2 and get 50% off a $60 game... uhhh yea....

Actually, there have been glitches like that, the most recent one being the PS2 games for $5 sale. It was fixed up quickly, but I think the promotion was Buy 2 Get 1 for $1. Well, the $5 PS2 games were initially calculated by their normal listed price, like a soccer game was listed at over $1000 and Dance Dance Revolution at $36, so some current-gen games were counted as the cheaper game if you added these to cart. Of course you'd have to buy one or two PS2 games you didn't want for $5 plus shipping apiece, but I was able to pick up Dragon's Dogma for $20ish.

I have a feeling Hastings is going to become way more familiar with credit card charge backs in the near future.

They really need to get their shit together in terms of consistent trade in quality, sending the product ordered, and protective shipping.

I know Hastings' website says one thing and that's the policy we have to play by, but for comparison's sake, they also list their used items on Amazon and they list everything in "Very Good" condition. Here are the general standards for Amazon's "Very Good" listings:

Used - Very Good: A well-cared-for item that has seen limited use but remains in great condition. The item is complete, unmarked, and undamaged, but may show some limited signs of wear. Item works perfectly.

In addition to having to meet the quality described above, there are these other conditions for category specific items:

Books: Used - Very Good: Pages and dust cover are intact and not marred by notes or highlighting. The spine is undamaged.

CDs: Used - Very Good: The packaging, cover art, liner notes, or inclusions may show limited signs of wear.

Video, DVD & Blu-ray Discs: Just the General standards apply for "Very Good."

Video Games: Used - Very Good: Activation codes for bonus online content may be missing or expired. Product may not include downloadable content.

Same deal for their listings on eBay, where Hastings lists used books and CDs as "Very Good" and used Video Games as "Good":
Books:
Very Good: A book that does not look new and has been read but is in excellent condition. No obvious damage to the cover, with the dust jacket (if applicable) included for hard covers. No missing or damaged pages, no creases or tears, and no underlining/highlighting of text or writing in the margins. May have very minimal identifying marks on the inside cover. Very minimal wear and tear. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

DVDs & Movies, Music, Video Games:
Very Good: An item that is used but still in very good condition. No damage to the jewel case or item cover, no scuffs, scratches cracks, or holes. The cover art and liner notes are included. The VHS or DVD box is included. The video game instructions and box are included. The teeth of disk holder are undamaged. Minimal wear on the exterior of item. No skipping on CD/DVD. No fuzzy/snowy frames on VHS tape. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Good: An item in used but good condition. May have minor damage to jewel case including scuffs or cracks, or to the item cover including scuffs, scratches, or cracks. The cover art and liner notes are included for a CD. VHS or DVD box is included. Video game instructions are included. No skipping on CD/DVD. No fuzzy/snowy frames on VHS tape. See the seller’s listing for full details and description of any imperfections.

Though Hastings circumvents eBay's product's listing standards by stating:
Due to the nature of used and PV products; booklet inserts, digital content and manuals are not guaranteed in our used video games, used movies and CDs.

Here is all Hastings' own website says about their used item conditions:
We strive to provide high quality products to our customers.

USED/Previously Viewed Product
We 100% GUARANTEE the full functionality of all used and previously viewed product. Due to the nature of used and previously viewed products; booklet inserts, digital content and manuals are not guaranteed in any used or previously viewed product. Select downloadable and online content/features may require an additional purchase.

USED - is product we have purchased through our trade in program or from other merchant partners. These products are carefully inspected before purchasing and tested to ensure they have full functionality. This product may not include additional discs, digital content, inserts or other inclusions typically associated with new product. All items are reconditioned and packaged for purchase. Select downloadable and online content/features may require an additional purchase.

So to summarize, Hastings' own website only guarantees "full functionality" and does not guarantee manuals or additional discs.

The last part (additional discs) is a huge problem.

You can't have a listing for say, a Blu-Ray/DVD 2 disc combo pack, then ship the combo pack without the DVD disc. Any and every credit card company is going authorize a charge back on that purchase if Hastings isn't going to provide full refunds including shipping.

As for the rest, Hastings only guarntees "full functionality." Do they really mean to imply that if everything but the disc is snapped and ripped in half in a poly bag mailer, it's still "functional" so tough shit? That if they send me a book with its spine snapped in half, tough shit as long as I can turn the pages to read it?

If you had purchased from Amazon or eBay instead of direct from Hastings, you'd be getting a full refund no questions asked by Amazon or eBay after a dispute is opened. Those companies are buyer friendly and don't screw around with the stuff Hastings' is trying to pull. The condition guidelines are on those websites for a reason.

It sounds like Hastings needs to hire a new person to run their online operations. They need to get unified trade in standards that are actually enforced at the store level, then clearly list those item standards on their website and under the closest matching Amazon and eBay item condition guidelines, and ship the products in a way that preserves the condition of those items. Because in practice, Hastings' is only guaranteeing maybe "Good" but likely "Acceptable" at best products across Amazon and eBay despite the "Very Good" listings and even the video game "Good" listings on eBay. But it's unlikely they'll drop their condition listings to accurately reflect their guarantees because then people aren't going to buy from them as much as they would under "Very Good" listings.

I still have to return those two Blu-rays I got. Not sure if I should send them out now or wait until this has all been sorted out.

I have only ordered a limited amount from Hastings, but have been very happy with the condition of everything I have received. I have only ordered used books and used games, but all of them came in a condition that I felt was good to excellent. Perhaps my standards are generally low, but for the price I paid for those items, I was not expecting perfection. When I compare Hastings to Gamestop, the quality has always been better from Hastings (I know that's not saying much).

I have never ordered a set of anything, so I can't speak for those issues. I suppose I purposely avoid sets of things when buying used because those seem inherently problematic.

The only item I got that was problematic was a DS game which worked, but did not hold any saved game. They immediately offered to give a full refund with shipping when I called them.

[quote name='WNYX585AM']I have only ordered a limited amount from Hastings, but have been very happy with the condition of everything I have received. I have only ordered used books and used games, but all of them came in a condition that I felt was good to excellent. Perhaps my standards are generally low, but for the price I paid for those items, I was not expecting perfection. When I compare Hastings to Gamestop, the quality has always been better from Hastings (I know that's not saying much).

I have never ordered a set of anything, so I can't speak for those issues. I suppose I purposely avoid sets of things when buying used because those seem inherently problematic.

The only item I got that was problematic was a DS game which worked, but did not hold any saved game. They immediately offered to give a full refund with shipping when I called them.[/QUOTE]

Ive gotten some truly messed up items from hastings, cracked games, dvd sets with writing on them, tons of items with multiple punctures on them(Like honestly, about 15% of games I buy, seemed to have been poked for fun), and also more than a few with with food stains over the covers(obviously from hastings employees).
Still about 75%, of stuff comes very good to like new. Even though, I only return games that actually dont work, If theyre really not going to refund shipping cost, IDK if that 75% chance of a good game is going to be worth the risk.

For the prices I'm still willing to risk it. Yeah, they list items for better condition on ebay or amazon, but they also charge a ton more to buy them through there. Their website has rules and you agree to them when you order from them.

Their policy sucks and I wish they just banned individual users who abuse the policies, of which I am sure there are a ton, rather than making everyone pay for it. If they still pay for return shipping just wait and order when shipping is free or .80 cents or whatever so the loss isn't huge if an item isn't up to par.

Got two packages of poly bags in the mail today with books. Luckily none of the books appear to have any corner or spine damage as a result, which is a nice change from some of the poly bag book orders I received recently.

Today's haul included the Wolverine Noir HC, Marvel Weddings TPB, and Robin: Search for a Hero TPB. Some of the other books I didn't name earlier out of an irrational fear of jinxing them shipping to me that arrived today were the Batman: Face the Face TPB and the Batman: Mad Love and Other Stories HC, both of which are usually a little pricey but were steals at $7 a pop.

With Face the Face, Mad Love HC, Robin: Search for a Hero, Nightwing: Year One, Contagion, and Harley and Ivy, Hastings has had a gold mine of pricey Batman books for cheap lately. And I got the Batman: Harley Quinn TPB from an Amazon seller for $13 during this time too when it usually sells for $60+. My Batman collection is pleased.

I also got two graphic novels in today and surprisingly they came in one of those infamous boxes! I was pleasantly surprised. They weren't anything special, I simply bought them because they were cheap. Why I do this to myself I have no idea.

Spoke too soon about my Batman: Face the Face TPB. I went to flip through it when I was putting it away... the entire cover is detached from the spine. Luckily its an absolutely clean separation. I don't know how that even happens. Its something a Hastings employee should have noticed pretty quickly after examining the book and it never should have been allowed to be traded in. I'm not particularly mad about it because I can just fix it with some glue since it was a clean separation, but it just shows that someone taking trade ins was just not giving any fucks.

bread's done
Back