The lost World War II genre of games

Wezzles

CAGiversary!
Does anyone else share my feelings and miss World War II games, especially on console. I feel like the whole Modern Warfare movement has completely outcasted a great genre of gaming with great stories and locations. I miss the World War II FPS, telling the story of famous battles. Am I alone here? I wish a studio would step up and bring those games back for this new generation of consoles.

I think they ran the genre into the ground personally--though they've since done the same with modern warfare games.

That said, I'm sure you're not alone and a good WWII game would sell gangbusters still.  I just have no interest in war shooters anymore period, regardless of era.  Pretty sick of shooters in general aside from sci-fi-ish ones like Halo/Killzone.  I just played too many of them this past generation.

I'd only be interested if they make it truly emotional/thought-provoking. ie: Saving Private Ryan/Band of Brothers/The Pacific quality (especially not as muted soldier a'la Call of Duty).

Maybe even a fictional spin had "Operation Downfall" (mainland Japan invasion) had taken place instead of the nukes.

I don't. It was only like 7 or so years ago that the community at large was sick of WW2 games... though I suppose everything comes full circle at some point. I'm sure that in 2020, people will be saying "hey, where are all of the zombie games?"

I would welcome them in the future sometime, but right now, lets just take a break on it. If they do go back to WWII I hope they take a new spin on it, add some cool storyline into it again maybe, I don't know. 

bread's done
Back