The "My Xbox has never broken" thread.

thrustbucket

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Per Vergeofinsanity's suggestion -

Sign here only if you have never had a problem with your Xbox 360. Please state how long you've had it, and maybe your manufacture date.

This thread can then be linked every time someone posts a new thread asking about buggy xbox's, new versions of xbox's and asking "If it's safe to buy".

I've had mine since July, manufactured in Oct / 2005 and no problems.

Edit: I play mine nightly. I do not know exactly how to tell what DVD drive I have, but I believe from my manufacture date, it's LG/Hitachi.

tumbleweeds01.jpg

Don't forget to mention what kind of DVD Drive you have.

Oh crap. I looked at the title and thought we were talking Xbox 1. Nevermind.

Mine's still good (had it since April, mfg date of Feb?), though I got the "three red sections" error a lot months ago, until I fucked around with the Hard Drive connection. Works like a (loud) charm now.

I've had it since August, manufactured in April.

However, I am noticing some things. When I play Saint's Row, the disc drive makes loud, sort of crunching noises like it is scratching something. A few seconds after that, the game will slow down, and I will be shown driving nothing if I am in a car, or if I am walking, everything around me dissapears. Gears of War also gave me a DRE, only once though.

Isn't this thread worthless without the input of those whose 360s have broken too? So what if there's a thread of 30 people whose 360s have never had a problem, that's an unknown sample of the 360 owners on CAG, and an even tinier sample of the total 360 population. Kinda like If I was buying a new car, and 1/500 exploded, a forum thread made up of everyone whose car hadn't exploded wouldn't really reassure me.

What would be interesting/helpful to new owners is if all 360 owners contributed the following:

360 manufacture date(or dates, if multiple)
Setup: (Horizontal/Vertical)
Intercooler: (Yes/No)
Problems? NO/YES-explain (how long after purchase, the problem, etc)
If yes, repeat for the replacement(s)

edit to add mine:

360 manufacture date July 06
Setup: Horizontal
Intercooler: No
Problems? None
If yes, repeat for the replacement(s) n/a

Mine works like a charm, had it for a few months now.

The ratio of broken 360s to working 360s is very low, certainly low enough to relieve anyone's fears of buying one.

My launch XBOX still works, even with a screw through the bottom. My launch 360 on the other hand only lasted 4 months.

Purchase Date: August 2006
Manufacture Date: May 2006
Problems?: Nothing serious. GoW was unplayable because of disc read errors, but I think this specific game just hates me. May of froze once back when I was playing Oblivion obsessively, but that is probably to be expected during long sessions.

I'm on my THIRD one (fingers crossed).

Also, I used an intercooler on the first 2. Don't know if that's what caused them to break, but after the second 360 went down, I got rid of the intercooler.

Bought mine in December, of last year, and haven't had a single problem.

I refuse to post in a thread that none of my launch systems (dreamcast, ps1, ps2, xbox, 360, sp, ds psp, or wii) have ever had a problem. That is just asking for trouble as all my systems would explode.

Crap, by me posting acknowledge that i have never had a problem, and now karma is gonna get me?? dammit....

seriously... never.. ever had a problem... ever... every system has been launch day system.

[quote name='getmyrunon']Isn't this thread worthless without the input of those whose 360s have broken too? So what if there's a thread of 30 people whose 360s have never had a problem, that's an unknown sample of the 360 owners on CAG, and an even tinier sample of the total 360 population. Kinda like If I was buying a new car, and 1/500 exploded, a forum thread made up of everyone whose car hadn't exploded wouldn't really reassure me.
[/QUOTE]

The idea behind this thread is there is already multiple threads popping up about various problems with the 360. We even have a sticky for it. This is obviously giving people the impression that there is a good chance theirs will break if they buy one.

I merely wanted to create one to show the opposite side, that's all.

I've had mine since thanksgiving with no problems.
Hell, its not even loud and it doesn't get hot at all, even after several hours of gaming or a movie.

Mine was manufactured on 10/28/2005 and it works flawlessly. Well, actually the disc drive wion't open if the unit is standing vertically. Otherwise it works flawlessly.

Got my in Dec '05. Only had 1 problem with it, and that was with using the Intercooler. Haven't used it since and it's worked like a charm. I've got it horizontal in an open space in my room.

Should be retitled "The thread of a 1,000 'Knock-On-Woods'". Not trying to bash the 360, i have one and love it, but I bet many people will conclude their posts with that.

[quote name='getmyrunon']Kinda like If I was buying a new car, and 1/500 exploded, a forum thread made up of everyone whose car hadn't exploded wouldn't really reassure me.
[/quote]

For some reason, I laughed really, really hard at that.

[quote name='getmyrunon']
360 manufacture date(or dates, if multiple)
Setup: (Horizontal/Vertical)
Intercooler: (Yes/No)
Problems? NO/YES-explain (how long after purchase, the problem, etc)
If yes, repeat for the replacement(s)
[/QUOTE]

December 05
Vertical
Yes
none
Had mine since Late March early April. Intercooler been on it since the summer.

I have had mine since launch day with no problems that were not a software issue. It is horizontal. I am to lazy to look at the manufacturing date.

I bought mine used off ebay in Feb. and have no problems so far. It freezes once in a while, like once every 40-50 hours of play, and it has never been any particular game that causes freezing. I keep it horizontal with no intercooler.

Bought it Feb. 1st 2006
manufactured December 24th 2005
Horizontal
Play it for atleast 4-5 hours a day

No problems that weren't caused by software.

i got mine around august september and i dont know the manufacture date/dvd drive. My 360 has been working fine except for the occasional disc read error/freeze up. But, those can be expected with any videogame system. I play mine pretty much everyday, so it gets plenty of use. Also, i have never noticed significant heat coming off of it. Except, for one time i accidentally left it directly under this lamp that gets quite hot for a couple of hours.

I bought mine 3 weeks ago. I've played it a ton since then and I have not encountered any serous problems. Let's hope it lasts another 5 years the same way.

360 manufacture date: Mar 06
Setup: n/a
Problems? Bad HDD, tray would not open

360 manufacture date: Sept 06
Problems? None yet, but it's just a day old

Got mine in January, no problems on it at all until the fall update, now it freezes like crazy (which apparently is very common, according to the 63 page thread on the official forums). Some people have had theirs brick because of the freezing, so i think im gonna hold off playing any 360 games in HD for a while...

360: Nov 05 w/ no probs. No intercooler or similar and never used vertical
Original Xbox: Thomson drive still alive and kicking.
The only issues I've had on either have been occasional dirty disc errors likely caused by (gasp) dirty discs.
The only console I've ever had die on me was playstation (1, I've never owned a 2) The "filp me over" trick worked for about a year til I bought a new one. That wasn't that big of a deal though since I wanted to get a dual shock unit anyway.
Guess I've just been lucky :D

mine is a 10/25/2005 360 i got it on launch day and have never had a problem with it hitachi drive and hd dvd

Launch day. Only had a couple of freezes and never had any red lights. Froze on GRAW and Vegas once.

Picked mine up on 12:01 on Day 1.
So that would put Manufacturing in around October 2005.
Horizontal.
Played 5-10 Hours per week.
Well ventilated...(Actually my Power Brick is suspended in the air too. It hangs behind my Entertainment center.). No intercooler.

Not one problem to date!

[quote name='thrustbucket']The idea behind this thread is there is already multiple threads popping up about various problems with the 360. We even have a sticky for it. This is obviously giving people the impression that there is a good chance theirs will break if they buy one.

I merely wanted to create one to show the opposite side, that's all.[/quote]

amen brotha! heh.

lets see manufactured apr 06
vertical
no intercooler but well ventilated (literally has a stand to its own)
few freezes here n there but as a PC gamer as well..that doesnt really phaze me.

what ppl need to realise is that with ANY new piece of tech their is always some problems. but that shouldnt stop you from purchasing it. so whatever, continue living in a life of fear, as for me i'll be playing gears of war and splinter cell DA on live.

Purchase Date: September 2006
Problems?: Could not play Dead Rising for more than a half hour without a disc read error.
GoW, Oblivion, and Saints Row all work fine. I've had 1-2 freezings/ Disc read errors on them each.

X360 #1
Purchase Date
: September 2006
Manufacture Date: December 2005
Problems?: Random Disc read errors in games, got so bad that I returned it.

X360#2
Purchase Date: November 2006
Problems?: I've had a "checkerboard" effect appear on my 360 twice since I got this newer unit a few weeks ago. I recently bought the 2 year extended warranty since I don't expect any 360 to last for too long. If this one starts acting up too badly I'm not afraid to yell at Microsoft again.

And for the record my friends 360's haven't failed yet, and I know 3 people that have it. I suppose I'm just unlucky. But saying "oh well" doesn't cut it when you just spent $700 on games and accessories on what should be a flawless system. Kinks my ass, it's been a year since this thing came out. You don't see people bitching with this level of intesity about the PS3 or the Wii!

bread's done
Back