The new may update killed my 360

KRS-2

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
:cry:

turned on the 360 a couple of days ago and started the update. It finished and the 360 rebooted itself and came back on with 3 flashing red lights. Its a launch 360 and has worked perfectly until the update. I have a email into customer support with no answer yet. I have been reading they want $140 to fix them and the three flashing red lights means hardware failure....

I bought it at target on launch day and think i am going to try and return it just to see what hapens.

i am so pissed. i already paid $400 for the damn thing now $140 to fix it.... so shitty...

anyone have ideas? chuck it out the window?

This happened to my 360 with the first dashboard update. Maybe if you bitch and moan enough you can get the price reduced. Basically say it was their fault and the update broke your system. Complain to the BBB. I know it will probably not help, but it's worth a shot if you bitch enough. You may get something free. I got a free Wireless controller from MS.

Bust A Groove

Seriously though, that's a real bitch....maybe I'll wait a bit to update mine.

[quote name='KRS-2']:cry:

turned on the 360 a couple of days ago and started the update. It finished and the 360 rebooted itself and came back on with 3 flashing red lights. Its a launch 360 and has worked perfectly until the update. I have a email into customer support with no answer yet. I have been reading they want $140 to fix them and the three flashing red lights means hardware failure....

I bought it at target on launch day and think i am going to try and return it just to see what hapens.

i am so pissed. i already paid $400 for the damn thing now $140 to fix it.... so shitty...

anyone have ideas? chuck it out the window?[/quote]

call them, email wont get you anything

im gonna try and return it to target for the hell of it. i still have the box and receipt so maybe if I get a cool person I can switch them out.

[quote name='KRS-2']im gonna try and return it to target for the hell of it. i still have the box and receipt so maybe if I get a cool person I can switch them out.[/QUOTE]

or not because they could get fired for doing that.

your best bet is to call up MS, get really pissed, and act like a replacement console is not good enough to heal the wounds. keep this up until they offer you free stuff :)

[quote name='KRS-2']:cry:

anyone have ideas? chuck it out the window?[/quote]

Take it to Target, and as long as you still have the original box and everything and can maybe make it look unopened, they may take it back without a receipt (they give credit or exchange).

Although, this might not be the case as they may have a limit in terms of value to what can be returned.

In any case, it never hurts to give it a try, as well as call for the manager and make various threats politely but firmly.

If that doesn't work, try Costco if you have a membership card (heck, you may even be able to without a membership card). They used to take back everything, receipt or not. But I know they changed their policy recently.

Finally, if neither of these work, pull the old switcheroo.

And by switcheroo, I mean the following. Note, I am not advocating doing this, but let's be honest - with the money you spend purchasing a game console, it better DAMN WELL LAST AT LEAST 5 years, if not a LOT more when you take good care of it:

Go to a store, preferably with a lax return policy/security.

Pay CASH for a new XBox 360 (you could buy any version, but to hell with it, go for the Elite).

Take it home. CAREFULLY open the box , trying not to tear seals and whatnot.

Take out new unit. If it has extra stuff like games, controllers, new cables etc., pull this out as well.

Switch the identification labels on the old unit with the new unit. Take a new razor blade if necessary in order to remove it without tearing it. A good method is to scan the label before attempting to remove it, so you can always print out a reasonable fascimile to glue on if necessary. On a matching unit, say a Premium for a Premium, you can even remove the housing case and just switch those.

Then put the old console into the new box. If you can't get it to look like it's never been opened (or are feeling generous), put the controller, the extra hard drive, and any cables in there as well. Otherwise just seal the bad boy up.

Go back to the store you purchased it from. Tell them you bought it for someone but they already have it or don't want it. Hell, just tell them you want to return it.

They should give you cash for it. Do not settle for anything else, since you have the receipt, you paid cash, and your return is valid (within the timeline, unopened, etc.).

You are all set.

[quote name='karkyco']Take it to Target, and as long as you still have the original box and everything and can maybe make it look unopened, they may take it back without a receipt (they give credit or exchange).

Although, this might not be the case as they may have a limit in terms of value to what can be returned.

In any case, it never hurts to give it a try, as well as call for the manager and make various threats politely but firmly.

If that doesn't work, try Costco if you have a membership card (heck, you may even be able to without a membership card). They used to take back everything, receipt or not. But I know they changed their policy recently.

Finally, if neither of these work, pull the old switcheroo.[/QUOTE]

The Target solution won't work, since the chain recently reduced the maximum value of a receipt-less exchange. They dropped it to 40 bucks, mainly because people were people were doing just as you suggested. It sucks, but can't be helped. Managers can't sidestep it anymore, as it's company policy now.

[quote name='Apossum']or not because they could get fired for doing that.

your best bet is to call up MS, get really pissed, and act like a replacement console is not good enough to heal the wounds. keep this up until they offer you free stuff :)[/quote]

Replacement console? HAHAHA good luck getting a brand new replacement, let alone for free. They will charge $150 just to "fix" it or give you another refurbished one.

It's outside of the warranty so unless you are a bigshot or can talk a good game, they will tell you to fuck off. Best bet is to threaten them by saying you are an attorney and will pursue legal action with class action status since their download/update is what crashed the box, and that there is an epidemic of 360's that are no good out there, i.e. they sold a faulty product. Do not curse, but make sure you convey your displeasure not only with their product, but with their service.

Also, I would recommend throwing in a comment about how you've contacted your local news product advocates and they will be interviewing you next week about your ordeal with MS.

This is how you get free stuff. Also, call them and keep asking to get the number for their supervisor or higher up. Ask for the number for customer relations or investor relations, then call those numbers and try to move up the ladder to the heads of those departments or into the Executive level positions.

[quote name='RPGuy']The Target solution won't work, since the chain recently reduced the maximum value of a receipt-less exchange. They dropped it to 40 bucks, mainly because people were people were doing just as you suggested. It sucks, but can't be helped. Managers can't sidestep it anymore, as it's company policy now.[/quote]

Good to know...then I guess it is either up to the old switcheroo or following the devil customer call method.

[quote name='karkyco']And by switcheroo, I mean the following. Note, I am not advocating doing this, but let's be honest - with the money you spend purchasing a game console, it better DAMN WELL LAST AT LEAST 5 years, if not a LOT more when you take good care of it:

Pay CASH for a new XBox 360 (you could buy any version, but to hell with it, go for the Elite).

Take out new unit. If it has extra stuff like games, controllers, new cables etc., pull this out as well.

Switch the identification labels on the old unit with the new unit. Take a new razor blade if necessary in order to remove it without tearing it. A good method is to scan the label before attempting to remove it, so you can always print out a reasonable fascimile to glue on if necessary. On a matching unit, say a Premium for a Premium, you can even remove the housing case and just switch those.

Then put the old console into the new box. If you can't get it to look like it's never been opened (or are feeling generous), put the controller, the extra hard drive, and any cables in there as well. Otherwise just seal the bad boy up.

Go back to the store you purchased it from. Tell them you bought it for someone but they already have it or don't want it. Hell, just tell them you want to return it.

They should give you cash for it. Do not settle for anything else, since you have the receipt, you paid cash, and your return is valid (within the timeline, unopened, etc.).

You are all set.[/QUOTE]

Wow.. advising immoral and illegal activities.. bravo.

You pay $25,000 for a new car and it doesn't always last 5 years without major repairs... yet that $400 you spent on a game console gives you every right to commit theft and fraud if it breaks.

Way to be a putz.

Actually aren't all launch (05) models now covered under warranty if it's never been used before? And one you get it back you then have a one year warranty from there. I know I've read about a number of people with early consoles being told it's still under warranty.

[quote name='Cornfedwb']Wow.. advising immoral and illegal activities.. bravo.

You pay $25,000 for a new car and it doesn't always last 5 years without major repairs... yet that $400 you spent on a game console gives you every right to commit theft and fraud if it breaks.

Way to be a putz.[/quote]

Morality and Immorality are matters of perspective. Selling faulty products is also illegal under most circumstances. How laughable of you to judge (not to mention name call), while at the same time you have no problem bending over and getting butt fucked by corporations and their shoddy products.

It's even worse with new cars - for the amount you pay, it should be problem free for the length of the warranty at least, which should be set to no less than 5 years mandated by law. most states also have lemon laws, whereas a car cannot have a recurring problem within the timeframe of the warranty.

[quote name='karkyco']And by switcheroo, I mean the following. Note, I am not advocating doing this, but let's be honest - with the money you spend purchasing a game console, it better DAMN WELL LAST AT LEAST 5 years, if not a LOT more when you take good care of it:

You are all set.[/quote]

wow, i mean its one thing to pull a no reciept return for the same product, i think a lot of us have done this at some point or another, but cmon.

[quote name='karkyco']Morality and Immorality are matters of perspective. Selling faulty products is also illegal under most circumstances. How laughable of you to judge (not to mention name call), while at the same time you have no problem bending over and getting butt fucked by corporations and their shoddy products.

It's even worse with new cars - for the amount you pay, it should be problem free for the length of the warranty at least, which should be set to no less than 5 years mandated by law. most states also have lemon laws, whereas a car cannot have a recurring problem within the timeframe of the warranty.[/QUOTE]

The amount you pay does not equate to how long the material good should last.. I'm not sure where you're getting that idea.

And actually most lemon laws require the same recurring problem to result in atleast 30 days of car down-time in a 6 month period. So as long as your Xbox 360 is down for 2 months a year.. then you should call your state representative about getting a video-game lemon law.

Taking matters into your own hands, breaking the law and screwing over a retail company (not to mention the possibility of some kid buying said 360, ripping open said box and having an open, defective, non-returnable 360)... that equates to being a putz.

[quote name='karkyco']Replacement console? HAHAHA good luck getting a brand new replacement, let alone for free. They will charge $150 just to "fix" it or give you another refurbished one.

It's outside of the warranty so unless you are a bigshot or can talk a good game, they will tell you to fuck off. Best bet is to threaten them by saying you are an attorney and will pursue legal action with class action status since their download/update is what crashed the box, and that there is an epidemic of 360's that are no good out there, i.e. they sold a faulty product. Do not curse, but make sure you convey your displeasure not only with their product, but with their service.

Also, I would recommend throwing in a comment about how you've contacted your local news product advocates and they will be interviewing you next week about your ordeal with MS.

This is how you get free stuff. Also, call them and keep asking to get the number for their supervisor or higher up. Ask for the number for customer relations or investor relations, then call those numbers and try to move up the ladder to the heads of those departments or into the Executive level positions.[/QUOTE]

You're a tard. if you said anything like that to them, they would stop taking you seriously.

you lined up an interview with your local news team before calling MS, just because your fucking xbox broke? that's probably the dumbest thing I've heard all day and I played DOA4 this morning with some hick who talked for 10 minutes straight about how bad old Nintendo games suck.

And no, they're not going to give you Executive level phone numbers just because you're a random guy with a broken system.

i dont think i will go through the trouble of pulling the ol' switcheroo. I am just pissed that it worked fine untill the update and i know when I call they will want me to pay $150 to fix somethign the damn update caused which is complete crap. i will try to return it as defective to target without packaging it back up as new just to see what they say. could get lucky i guess. its worth a shot.

less than 2 years of having the system for it to crap out and then MS charging $150 to fix them is totally rediculous though. I looked through the dead 360 thread on this forum and I am the third person in my friends to have a 360 crap out. total rubbish. at least my first launch xbox lasted 5 years before it died.

mine barely had a warranty left (though i believe it should have ended before they said it did). i bought it in april '06 and set it in May '07. i'm sure i will get a refurb one, but i never had any problems until March '06 and it just got worse and worse without ever red-lighting. keep calling, e-mailing them did nothing for me.

That stinks. I kind of like what they did with the achievements and how you can tell what you unlocked when it pops up.

[quote name='ericb']Actually aren't all launch (05) models now covered under warranty if it's never been used before? And one you get it back you then have a one year warranty from there. I know I've read about a number of people with early consoles being told it's still under warranty.[/QUOTE]

Do you mean if the warranty hasn't been used yet, or if the console hasn't been used? I'd like more info on this, as I have a launch system, and haven't had trouble yet. But I also didn't downloaded the update.

How can Microsoft keep allowing this to happen? I'm afraid for my 360 every time there's an update. I never know which one is going to be the one that kills it.

[quote name='jlarlee']That stinks. I kind of like what they did with the achievements and how you can tell what you unlocked when it pops up.[/quote]

I hate that, i thought it made it a surprise that i had to press guide and see what i did. :whistle2:( Also i noticed it has a lot of slowdowns and freezing with the guide button again. Is it that way for everyone else?

[quote name='panasonic']I hate that, i thought it made it a surprise that i had to press guide and see what i did. :whistle2:( Also i noticed it has a lot of slowdowns and freezing with the guide button again. Is it that way for everyone else?[/QUOTE]

yes, every pop up message I get seems to lag the system a bit. It has been this way for every 360 I've owned (none of them were faulty either) I hate that MS doesn't fix this.

[quote name='d00k']I'm afraid for my 360 every time there's an update. I never know which one is going to be the one that kills it.[/quote]

Same here :whistle2:(

[quote name='hootie']Same here :whistle2:([/QUOTE]

i feel the same way. actually the last update, did it to me! it bricked
( 3 red lights of death ) my 360. & i had it from day one ( Nov. 05 ) & it never had any problems till that dark day i updated it! i called MS & bitched & complained
since they said my warranty had expired, well long story short & $140.00 later. i got it fixed & now have a 2 year warranty on it. & i just did the new update this week ( had my fingers crossed ) & everything seems fine.....for now!

GOOD LUCK DUDE! just call MS & keep talking till some one over there helps you!

MS fuckS YOU. They dont care if your warranty just expired or not. They say you have to pay no matter what. fuck THEM. I am glad i bought mine at costco and i returned it there. I was hoping i would be able to get an elite by now but haven't had hte chance. I may cave and get one today with the credit i got back just to play the halo 3 beta. IM dying here waiting. I call every day with no elites in the warehouses, just premium. ONly buy at costco from here on out from their awesome warranty. Anyone know when costco getting elites?

My experience with my launch 360 was pretty positive. First thing I told them was that I updated it and then I got the red lights. No charge for anything and I had it back in about 3 weeks. They even sent me the box. Guess I was lucky.

[quote name='mmercer13']My experience with my launch 360 was pretty positive. First thing I told them was that I updated it and then I got the red lights. No charge for anything and I had it back in about 3 weeks. They even sent me the box. Guess I was lucky.[/QUOTE]

Were you under any kind of warranty or anything? I never signed up for a warranty or anything, so I'm just looking to see what might happen if I get the red lights when I update.

i finally got around to updating my xbox yesterday and today it starting giving me the red ring. and i was kind of excited about some of the new stuff they added in this update, what a major bummer. at least i'm still under the warranty. does anyone know if your warranty ends when they fix it or if it continues/starts a new?

[quote name='fullhavok']i feel the same way. actually the last update, did it to me! it bricked
( 3 red lights of death ) my 360. & i had it from day one ( Nov. 05 ) & it never had any problems till that dark day i updated it! i called MS & bitched & complained
since they said my warranty had expired, well long story short & $140.00 later. i got it fixed & now have a 2 year warranty on it. & i just did the new update this week ( had my fingers crossed ) & everything seems fine.....for now!

GOOD LUCK DUDE! just call MS & keep talking till some one over there helps you![/quote]

thats bullshit though. its the same thing as me. launch 360 that worked PERFECT until I updated. then dead. and now that its not under warranty I have to fix it.

I just built a house that has a year warranty. after that year is over, can the builder come and burn it down, then offer to fix it for money?

I cant stand it. I still have not called MS but will soon. I will not pay to fix it. i will try the home fix though. thanks for posting that h2dk

I called about mine being a brick after the update. They said they would fix it for free because it was their fault even though i am not under warranty.

[quote name='Shoagie']I called about mine being a brick after the update. They said they would fix it for free because it was their fault even though i am not under warranty.[/quote]

nice, i am going to write my serial number down right now and call tomorrow.

this was with the recent update and did you have a launch 360?

good news for you, congrats. i am going to try as well.

bread's done
Back