The Official Android thread.

IMO for the near term (the rest of 2011), the NC is the way to go for Android tablet tinkering. Maybe there'll be bigger/better deals to come in q4 11 or q1 12, but for right now, you can't beat the NC. Especially given the development community that's cropped up around it, it'll be one of the first to experience each flavor of Android as its released.

[quote name='dothog']IMO for the near term (the rest of 2011), the NC is the way to go for Android tablet tinkering. Maybe there'll be bigger/better deals to come in q4 11 or q1 12, but for right now, you can't beat the NC. Especially given the development community that's cropped up around it, it'll be one of the first to experience each flavor of Android as its released.[/QUOTE]

For the price the NC looks very attractive. I'm holding out for the Transformer for $400, since I want the bigger screen.

Any one else with an EVO having issues syncing their contacts with google? I rooted and unrooted and now am having issues.

Anybody with an HTC HD2 have SD build recommendations?

I used Darkstone's SuperRam Froyo for a couple of months and it was really fast. The only problem was that every couple of weeks I would have to reinstall the build since it would get laggy and unreliable.

I have since switched to MCCM's HDv4.5 with Sense and have been pleased so far. I had some data connection problems, but I reinstalled it and so far, it's working well. It's not as fast as the SuperRam, but Sense is worth it for me.

Jeez, I hope the Samsung stealth comes out soon. I really believe if they're going to release froyo for the Fascinate it will come after the stealth is released; the specs of the phones are nearly identical, aside from 4g coverage and a 0.3" larger screen.

Yeah, I saw that about the Transformer. It's one thing after another with Android tablets. There's so much potential there, too.

I read a review on Engadget that cited a lot of issues with camera, usb ports, etc. If they are ironing those things out, I will gladly wait. I'm very much on board for the transformer, but that kind of stuff not working would be just too much of a drawback.

edit: I finally had a chance to read the rest of that review, and although I believe there is a problem with the camera (as the video posted looks terrible), I am skeptical about anything else in it. The reviewer points out a few things as flaws of an unfinished Honeycomb which, actually, are fine bullet points that have been with Android since 2.2:
-Speech to Text, with the ability to pull up a map by saying "map of #{place}". I use this all the time on my phone and love that it can get more specific but defaults to the web otherwise.
-Recently used apps - the reviewer complained that the list doesn't scroll to show more than a handful (I agree on that, I don't think that would be a bad option), but went on to complain that one can't "hold to end task". I was under the very strong impression that Android takes care of task management for you, and killing tasks is a good way to cause problems with those apps and ultimately drain the battery faster (say if the app then has to restart itself).

He also mentioned that multitouch wasn't possible on the keyboard dock mousepad, while some in the comments say that there are videos of it doing so. I think this particular review model may have been a dud, and I am also pretty sure this guy doesn't really know Android well enough to review a tablet, much less criticize long-existing features as buggy Honeycomb additions.

I do fear the lag that was mentioned and shown in the videos. I played with a Xoom a bit at a Best Buy, and just didn't really notice lag. Maybe if you use an iPad you would notice?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah the only things in that review that worry me is the camera, which could most likely be solved by using a different camera app, and the usb ports on the keyboard recognizing usb drives, which he says was fixed with a reboot.

Oh and and the way he said it had a little trouble switching between keyboards when it was docked/undocked. All that sounds like software issues though.

[quote name='manthing']Perhaps, but I'm not waiting in line for it.

If I can't go into the store and buy it, I'm not interested.

fuck limited supplies.[/QUOTE]
There's always amazon, probably get it there anyway to save on tax.

I really wish there was a way for me to upgrade from my Fascinate to the Thunderbolt. Got a year and some months left before I'm eligible for an upgrade :wall:

Yeah I'm shocked at how cheap its going. Ususally most smartphones sell for $300+ without contract even if they're used.

Also been toying with the idea of opening up an additional line at $10 a month just so that I can get the T-Bolt, and consequently have the option to upgrade to a new phone each year :lol:

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I really wish there was a way for me to upgrade from my Fascinate to the Thunderbolt. Got a year and some months left before I'm eligible for an upgrade :wall:[/QUOTE]

call up customer service and go all cunfusious on them. tell them metro is a lot cheaper, sprint has 4g now, and that att would give you a discounted rate to switch over. threaten to cancel your service (bluff the cancellation fee) and hold your ground. eventually they will just offer you a free upgrade from your phone to keep you as a customer.

[quote name='steve nash']call up customer service and go all cunfusious on them. tell them metro is a lot cheaper, sprint has 4g now, and that att would give you a discounted rate to switch over. threaten to cancel your service (bluff the cancellation fee) and hold your ground. eventually they will just offer you a free upgrade from your phone to keep you as a customer.[/QUOTE]

That's not a bad idea...I'll give that a shot one of these days.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yeah I'm shocked at how cheap its going. Ususally most smartphones sell for $300+ without contract even if they're used.

Also been toying with the idea of opening up an additional line at $10 a month just so that I can get the T-Bolt, and consequently have the option to upgrade to a new phone each year :lol:[/QUOTE]

You forgot the $30 a month data plan that's required.

Honestly the T-Bolt is enough of an upgrade to me. It is basically the phone I wanted last year, but now it would be like a step sideways basically. Now the Bionic or the Targa I think it's called, those I'd upgrade for. But those aren't coming til later if at all.

I checked Sprint yesterday because I get a bigger employer discount with them than Verizon. If they hadn't tacked on that extra $10 a month for smartphones it would be quite a bit cheaper, but after taxes and all it would only be a dollar or two cheaper than what I have with Verizon.

[quote name='Clak']Honestly the T-Bolt is enough of an upgrade to me. It is basically the phone I wanted last year, but now it would be like a step sideways basically. Now the Bionic or the Targa I think it's called, those I'd upgrade for. But those aren't coming til later if at all.[/QUOTE]

I haven't kept up with most of the newer phones coming out, but the X2 seems to be a better phone from the Bionic, as I looked at the specs.

If its as easy as Steve mentioned, maybe I should wait for a bit to try to get an early upgrade.

[quote name='Clak']I checked Sprint yesterday because I get a bigger employer discount with them than Verizon. If they hadn't tacked on that extra $10 a month for smartphones it would be quite a bit cheaper, but after taxes and all it would only be a dollar or two cheaper than what I have with Verizon.[/QUOTE]

I have 4G in my area and still don't use it... If I use 4G my batt dies in min. not hrs... yet I've been paying it since I got my EVO... I'm thinking of going to either Metro PCS or Virgin. I figure it will be BAD, but I'll pay less to get raped in the arse.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']I haven't kept up with most of the newer phones coming out, but the X2 seems to be a better phone from the Bionic, as I looked at the specs.

If its as easy as Steve mentioned, maybe I should wait for a bit to try to get an early upgrade.[/QUOTE]

X2 didn't have 4G. Bionic does.

The DX2 also removed the POS camera button. It's non-responsive on my DX, and pictures come out better using the button on the touchscreen -- which is backwards from what I expected.

I'll probably wait for someone to take it and remove all the crap. I just outright refuse to use Bing especially. Not even that it's awful, just the principal of having it forced on me.

:lol:

How much have you customized your phone, as far as rooting is concerned? I been taking a look here and there on the XDA forums for new Kernals and Roms, but that shit still seems too complicated for me. Also most of the stuff they post is always beta and they post stuff like "Warning: No MMS, Video...etc." that I just straight up avoid it.

I've got SC 2.9.2 running right now and really like it. Might install a new theme sometime soon. I've been more into customizing my Nook lately as Fascinate development seems to have slowed a little, but I'm sure this will speed things back up.

Back to an older point about saying task killers suck on froyo; I disagree. I've used the program monitor to try and close stuff but it does not kill certain apps that mysteriously start themselves.

BTW, Samsung Droid Charge comes out on the 28th. LTE, Super AMOLED Plus, free 4G mobile hotspot, Adobe Flash and Swype are preinstalled. If the battery life is decent, this could be an amazing device.

Yeah it sounds good, but I hate that Samsung/Verizon doesn't update their damn devices. Though since this one is branded as 'Droid' it might have a better response rate to updates.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Yeah it sounds good, but I hate that Samsung/Verizon doesn't update their damn devices. Though since this one is branded as 'Droid' it might have a better response rate to updates.[/QUOTE]

Lol doubt it, considering it's only coming with 2.2.

[quote name='elessar123']BTW, Samsung Droid Charge comes out on the 28th. LTE, Super AMOLED Plus, free 4G mobile hotspot, Adobe Flash and Swype are preinstalled. If the battery life is decent, this could be an amazing device.[/QUOTE]
And all for the low, low price of $300. People are already calling it the Droid Overcharge.

[quote name='seen']Back to an older point about saying task killers suck on froyo; I disagree. I've used the program monitor to try and close stuff but it does not kill certain apps that mysteriously start themselves.[/QUOTE]
Because for one reason or another those apps need to stay running. And there is a difference between a task manager and task killer.

bread's done
Back