The Official Criterion Deals and Discussion Thread

[quote name='MachineElf']Thank you so much for that link. It is the Criterion DVD and I love the film, so, I will watch it once a year or so. Those side by side comparisons sold me on the upgrade.[/QUOTE]

Great question....and great taste in movies. I had the same question.

May as well ask here since I'm poking around: anyone know of any good places to get In The Mood For Love for cheap? I've never seen the Criterion for less than $25, usually $35.

[quote name='arkaeyn']May as well ask here since I'm poking around: anyone know of any good places to get In The Mood For Love for cheap? I've never seen the Criterion for less than $25, usually $35.[/QUOTE]

Well, you just recently missed a (one-day) 50% off sale that Criterion had. To the best of my knowledge this is the first time they've done a sale like that directly, but apparently it was pretty successful, so who knows? Maybe they'll do it again sometime.

Other than that, there's the biannual Criterion sale at Barnes and Noble, which (historically -- no guarantees that it will continue, of course) happens in July and November. All Criterion titles are 50% off, plus any additional discounts that you get for a B&N membership (in-store only) or any coupons that may come up. Between the sale, membership, and the typical coupons (which if/when they happen tend to be between 15% and 25%), it's often possible to get blu-ray titles for as low as around $13. So waiting for that might be your best bet.

Outside of that and the occasional other random deal, though, no, you're probably not going to find it for less than $25.

Speaking of that one-day sale that Criterion had, though, I just (finally!) got my order yesterday. It wasn't packed very well (just wrapped in a single layer of cardboard, basically), and I was less than pleased with the condition that I received it in. The plastic case for Still Walking was completely broken (a big piece of the bottom of the case was broken off entirely), the cardboard case for Amarcord was creased a bit at the top (minor, but noticeable), and the bottom right corner on the front of the Fishtank case had been pushed in hard enough to actually tear the cover inlay and dent the plastic over top of it. I wrote to Criterion about it, but I haven't heard back from them yet.

Anyone else have any problems with their orders? I'm going to be hesitant to order directly from Criterion again if this is the condition that I can expect to receive my order in.

B&N is having another "mystery coupon" offer, wherein the discount in the coupon goes up to 50%. Passwird.com lists these coupons as the 50% off ones:

non-members:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=37767&r=1

members:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?r=1&PID=37762&r=1

Here's hoping this can stack with the $20 coupon from Groupon or wahtever that was! God has anyone seen the upcoming bluray releases by the way? Blow Out, Fear and Loathing, Kiss Me Deadly, Solaris...

Shame they're not also running a B2G1 sale in conjunction with the 50% off coupons. Though, 50% + 10% isn't anything to sneeze at.

Shame they're not also running a B2G1 sale in conjunction with the 50% off coupons. Though, 50% + 10% isn't anything to sneeze at.

[quote name='supershammy']B&N is having another "mystery coupon" offer, wherein the discount in the coupon goes up to 50%. Passwird.com lists these coupons as the 50% off ones:

non-members:

members:

Here's hoping this can stack with the $20 coupon from Groupon or wahtever that was! God has anyone seen the upcoming bluray releases by the way? Blow Out, Fear and Loathing, Kiss Me Deadly, Solaris...[/QUOTE]
Solaris is getting a Criterion release on Blu-Ray? Neat, I'll definitely pick that up.

I saw this on Slickdeals and picked up Videodrome. Everything worked as it should, my total was 19.XX after tax.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Solaris is getting a Criterion release on Blu-Ray? Neat, I'll definitely pick that up.[/QUOTE]

You probably know this, but in case you don't, it's the 1972 Tarkovsky version, in Russian, not the 2002 Soderbergh version with George Clooney. Criterion had released it earlier on DVD, but they're giving it a new release on both blu-ray and DVD (correcting some problems with the transfer in the earlier DVD version). Personally, I think the Tarkovsky version is a better film (though I don't dislike the Soderbergh version). Just figured it was worth pointing out in case anyone doesn't know there's an earlier version. :)

Also, if you like the films, check out the original novel that both were based on, by Stansilaw Lem. He's probably one of my favorite sci-fi authors.

Glad to finally see some Tarkovsky on blu-ray. Hopefully Kino follows suit soon with the titles they have.

[quote name='supershammy']B&N is having another "mystery coupon" offer, wherein the discount in the coupon goes up to 50%. Passwird.com lists these coupons as the 50% off ones:

non-members:

members:
[/QUOTE]

Haha, just noticed that they list the % off for the "mystery" coupons in the title of the page -- "03/31/11 Non Member 50% off Dual Coup" -- you can see it on the title bar on the top of the window. :lol: These URLs say 50%, and if you go to the other URLs for the lower coupons (just decrement the PID numbers), it shows the percentage for them too. Some "mystery"!

[quote name='Ianscloset']Is the 50% B&B Coupon only valid In-Store then?[/QUOTE]

Yup, in-store only for these. Don't know if they're emailing out online coupons as well (haven't gotten an email myself), but last time they did that on one of these sales, the codes were tied to the specific account.

fudtw.jpg

http://www.criterion.com/films/27656-c-h-u-d

[quote name='supershammy']Awesome effort on the April Fool's joke. Listed as "out of print" although the release date hasn't hit yet, if anyone needs corroboration of it being a prank.[/QUOTE]

But oh how I wish it were true . . . :lol: Funny how they even gave it a spine number. I wonder if that means that they won't use that number for anything else? That ought to drive a few of the more obsessed collectors mad.

[quote name='arcane93']You probably know this, but in case you don't, it's the 1972 Tarkovsky version, in Russian, not the 2002 Soderbergh version with George Clooney. Criterion had released it earlier on DVD, but they're giving it a new release on both blu-ray and DVD (correcting some problems with the transfer in the earlier DVD version). Personally, I think the Tarkovsky version is a better film (though I don't dislike the Soderbergh version). Just figured it was worth pointing out in case anyone doesn't know there's an earlier version. :)

Also, if you like the films, check out the original novel that both were based on, by Stansilaw Lem. He's probably one of my favorite sci-fi authors.

Glad to finally see some Tarkovsky on blu-ray. Hopefully Kino follows suit soon with the titles they have.[/QUOTE]
Yeah buddy! I've always wanted to see it. Will definitely blind buy that (for 50% off, of course) I did really like the 2002 version though, but as far as I understand, the Tarkovsky is the obvious better film.

I used the coupon code as shown on my phone to preorder Blow Out. It was very confusing for everyone, so I wouldn't recommend trying it. In order to apply a coupon code, they need to know the value of the coupon, but because it's a "mystery" they can't know the value. She ended up just giving me the benefit of the doubt and applying 50% off the preorder. Had to have it ship to home though, because that's the only way to pay up-front when pre-ordering.

Awww CHUD was the only movie to scare me out of my whits as a child. I'd buy this version in a second if it ever came out.

M

Discovered something interesting today -- I went to two stores and picked up Contempt and Yi Yi, both of which had "10% off" stickers on them. Usually these high percentage coupons are off of list price, and this one even has text on it that says "may not be combined with any other coupon or discount." But they both rang up at $17.99 (regular price is $39.99 on both), so apparently it will combine with the sticker discount.

Used the Groupon on Yi Yi, too, so got it for really cheap, and still have a little bit of Groupon credit left.

[quote name='Mikerocosms']Awww CHUD was the only movie to scare me out of my whits as a child. I'd buy this version in a second if it ever came out.

M[/QUOTE]

Same here. I avoided sewers like crazy!

I used that 50% off coupon once a piece at two different stores today, and it worked just fine at both. I got Still Walking for $19.51 after tax and The Tillman Story for $16.95. I've been wanting both since they came out, especially Still Walking (I'm a big fan of its director, Kore-eda Hirokazu), but both have been expensive and hard to come by around here. Only one of the local half-dozen or so B&Ns had a copy of Still Walking at all.

Anyway, thanks to the person who posted the coupon.

bread's done
Back