The Official E-Bay Scalping Thread

[quote name='Ricochet']To continue this story - put the ps3 up on ebay and it sold within a few minutes with a BIN of 1250. Shipping it out on Monday since USPS is closed, as stated in my auction. By then the payments in my paypal account will be moved to my bank account and all will be swell.[/QUOTE]

You know, I *tried* to do that yesterday (though at a slightly higher price, but still under what they were selling in normal auctions) hoping someone would snap it up. But the fact that ebay didn't get it into the search pages until 7 hours later kind of ruined that whole opportunity. How you were able to get yours sold in minutes is beyond me :lol:.

Mine is still up there with about 1 1/2 hours left and I did lower the starting bid to $1400 or so late last night. I guess there's a small chance it will still sell.

Really, though, how low can these go? People (like the guy above) may laugh, but in the end if I get $1000 for it that would be fine - still nearly $400 profit. I didn't camp out or anything for mine, though, and I used EB store credit which only cost me about $250 in real money to obtain. They people who paid others to wait in line are kind of screwed though :lol:.

[quote name='mykevermin']I think it will be different; I don't think the bubble will burst immediately, but because such a large portion of people plan on selling theirs immediately (my GS manager told me that only one of his preorders has purchased software thus far), it won't be as extravagant as some of the resellers think. If you're patient enough to wait 24 hours after launch, when the prices start to drop (they will assuredly start sky-fucking-high), you'll be able to secure a PS3 for under $900-1000 for a 60GB. Within 1 day. That's my prediction.

If we accept a conservative estimate of 10% of all PS3 systems sold are put on eBay immediately after launch, that's 40,000 systems vying for your auction attention.

A cursory glance of eBay this morning saw that most Japanese PS3 systems were selling for $1200-1400. Fewer than 10 ended over $1500, and one anomaly ended over $2000 (and that included some extras, I think).

Now, domestic systems will be more attractive to American buyers, but if you consider that there will be a massive increase in the number of systems being sold on eBay come the American launch, it just might balance out.

I truly think the PS3 launch will be a bust for profiteers. I also truly hope it is.[/QUOTE]

Now, perhaps I'm not the only person who made this prediction, but just allow me to gloat for a moment.

WHO'S THE MASTER?

ShoNuffFullSize.gif

[quote name='mykevermin']Now, perhaps I'm not the only person who made this prediction, but just allow me to gloat for a moment.

WHO'S THE MASTER?

ShoNuffFullSize.gif
[/QUOTE]

Oh, I knew there would be an assload of them listed for sale ending Saturday. I went for it anyway, oh well... I knew it was a bad sign when I saw all those news reports with line-sitters claiming they would get $3000 for these things :roll:. It is the unrealistic expectations that is causing all this trouble. I had much more modest goals (though I did get caught up in a bit of the hype seeing the auctions ending at $2500+ a few days back). Like I said, $1000 would be fine for mine at this point.

I would keep the damn thing but having just found out about the FATAL lack of upscaling (vs the Xbox 360) I have no use for it whatsoever. Great, I can use this $600 system to play games in 480p on my HDTV. Wonderful, Sony.

I never expected to get more than $1600-1800 out of this, but I wouldn't have expected to see the prices drop this far after seeing them yesterday. I cant complain either way, whatever I get for it Ill be happy with. Anyway lesson learned - the best time to list is whenever it will make your auction end on launch day. Unfornately I didnt have the opportunity to list it yesterday, and I still have yet to do so.

[quote name='xdl']I never expected to get more than $1600-1800 out of this, but I wouldn't have expected to see the prices drop this far after seeing them yesterday. I cant complain either way, whatever I get for it Ill be happy with. Anyway lesson learned - the best time to list is whenever it will make your auction end on launch day. Unfornately I didnt have the opportunity to list it yesterday, and I still have yet to do so.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, dammit, I should have listed it as a preorder the day before launch, as I was 95% sure I was going to get one. However, it makes me nervous to sell something I don't physically have, so I passed. I guess that's my lesson learned, though I will probably never be in that situation again :rofl:.

I ended up selling mine locally to a guy for $1200. He asked if he could pick it up if he was the high bidder, and that the most he would pay anyway is $1200. I figured it was better to do that than to risk getting $1000 or so.

[quote name='io']Yeah, dammit, I should have listed it as a preorder the day before launch, as I was 95% sure I was going to get one. However, it makes me nervous to sell something I don't physically have, so I passed. I guess that's my lesson learned, though I will probably never be in that situation again :rofl:.[/quote]

Same here brother, should of sold our preorders. It was a gamble.

[quote name='Zoglog']I guess i'll put mine up with some e3 ps3 schwag. Hopefully that'll make it stand out[/QUOTE]

It might, but I just spent a while going through auctions that ended today, and there were a few ending less than $1000 that even had an extra controller and a game. Once you figure in eBay & Paypal fees and shipping, that profit you're hoping to get is going to be a lot less than it was even yesterday.

[quote name='Lieutenant Dan']Mine sold last night to a guy for 1950. He bid right at the last second, and had only 1 feedback. I thought he was a scammer but he emailed me right away and put the money in my paypal. He doesn't have a paypal confirmed address.

And his name is Virgillio San Juan.

Should I be worried? I sent the PS3 out this morning with all of the options I could get on it (insurance, delivery confirmation, signature confirmation).[/QUOTE]

I spit up water all over my keyboard. Please tell me this was a joke?

Some asshat screwed me over. I'm 95% sure they were a scammer. 2 feedback, wanted me to ship to an uncomfirmed address in Brooklyn. He ended my Buy It Now auction even though I stated no unconfirmed addresses. Now I am out all the ebay fees that I used to promote the item (over $30), and I had to relist and mess with the Unpaid Item dispute crap.

Ebay literally does nothing to protect it's sellers. What is the point of Buy It Now with Immediate Payment required if you can't require confirmed addresses? The answer is...there is no point...you are just going to get scammed.

[quote name='mykevermin']Now, perhaps I'm not the only person who made this prediction, but just allow me to gloat for a moment.

WHO'S THE MASTER?

ShoNuffFullSize.gif
[/QUOTE]

SHO-NUFF!

you are the last dragon, you possess the power of the gloat!

sorry for the double post...

just to put this in perspective, the prices are now relatively normal compared to the 360. Last year everyone was all "HOLY SHIT, WHO WOULD PAY $1000?!"

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']Some asshat screwed me over. I'm 95% sure they were a scammer. 2 feedback, wanted me to ship to an uncomfirmed address in Brooklyn. He ended my Buy It Now auction even though I stated no unconfirmed addresses. Now I am out all the ebay fees that I used to promote the item (over $30), and I had to relist and mess with the Unpaid Item dispute crap.

Ebay literally does nothing to protect it's sellers. What is the point of Buy It Now with Immediate Payment required if you can't require confirmed addresses? The answer is...there is no point...you are just going to get scammed.[/QUOTE]

Man, that sucks Lou-Dawg... Mine didn't sell today at $1400. It appears I was just over the threshold for sale - many sold for $1100-$1300 or so right around mine. I will probably give it a week and then try to resell. I'll take as low as $800 for it and be happy. Like I said, I didn't go through much trouble for this (didn't camp out overnight or anything), and given that I used EB credit built up with the $10/3 extra deal, the real price of the PS3 was about $250 for me. So $800 would still be a nice profit - sure, it won't pay for the new HDTV I apparently need to get HD content out of a PS3 (being that mine is 1080i only), but that's OK.

Damn. I'm glad I sold mine in the parking lot of the store I bought it at for $1850. No hassle and instant cash.

some lady offered me $1200 for my 20GB when I picked it up at EB. I bet I couldve even goten her up to 1500. Why didn't I do it argh...

[quote name='Zoglog']some lady offered me $1200 for my 20GB when I picked it up at EB. I bet I couldve even goten her up to 1500. Why didn't I do it argh...[/QUOTE]

I don't think we expected ebay prices to drop SO fast. In 24 hours they were slashed in half.

Before you guys get totally disheartened about this, realize that you might still be able to make a fair profit on a local sale to someone who doesn't know eBay prices have fallen so dramatically. Bear in mind that news moves faster on the internet than it does in the real world, so you might be able to find a real world person who isn't net-savvy to pay a good price.

Sold my 60GB today for $1580 BIN and immediate payment.
Buyer looks legit, and I'm in the process transferring to my bank account.

[quote name='gizmogc']I don't think we expected ebay prices to drop SO fast. In 24 hours they were slashed in half.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but i think the only reason they dropped so fast is just there are so many ending at the same time. Im gonna try and sell it in a week, and hopefully it wont be less than 1200 then.

I think this goes to show how many people want one to actually play it. It doesn't seem like many.

The system is defintely hard to find, probrably the rarest console at launch in recent memory.

[quote name='gizmogc']I don't think we expected ebay prices to drop SO fast. In 24 hours they were slashed in half.[/QUOTE]

I think in my case it was my own caution. Because she offered me in store and technically you can get arrested for making those deals. But by the time I got out she was out of sight. I should have told her to wait outside *sigh*

I think much of the reason for the long lines is the large amount of people buying to it to sell. After all $1000 profit per unit is a pretty damn good motivator to get people to go early. Especially college students with lots of free time.

Because of the dropping profits, I'm probably going to open one right now and just goto BB and pick up resistance now.

[quote name='Zoglog'] Because of the dropping profits, I'm probably going to open one right now and just goto BB and pick up resistance now.[/quote]

Dude, yeah.
I have an extra 20GB, I think I'll pick up Resistance and hook it up.

Wow, prices dropped fast. Glad I dumped mine when I did, and obviously I got insanely lucky since the 60 gigs now are going for less then what I sold my 20 gig for.

In case anyone is wondering, I shipped out a 20 Gig Console, 2 Games, and a controller USPS Express for around $55.00, which isn't too bad.

Not sure if anyone is willing to take a huge risk, but there are people in Europe that will overpay for a PS3. Seeing ebay and just about every import site will not ship to europe, there will be demand. Craiglist seems to be the most affective if anyone is willing to try.

You can safely ship to the United Kingdom and be covered by Paypal's Seller Protection. Anywhere else and you are taking a HUGE risk.

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']You can safely ship to the United Kingdom and be covered by Paypal's Seller Protection. Anywhere else and you are taking a HUGE risk.[/QUOTE]
i thought ebay banned PS3 going to UK?

[quote name='Lou-Dawg']You can safely ship to the United Kingdom and be covered by Paypal's Seller Protection. Anywhere else and you are taking a HUGE risk.[/QUOTE]

What kind of shipping do you use for tracking though - Fedex? I had priced out some normal items that way (like Gameboy Players) and the shipping was so outrageously high I didn't bother. I send regular games to Europe all the time though - just takes my chances. Biggest thing I ever sold was a FF XII CE for about $80 to someone in France.

[quote name='io']What kind of shipping do you use for tracking though - Fedex? I had priced out some normal items that way (like Gameboy Players) and the shipping was so outrageously high I didn't bother. I send regular games to Europe all the time though - just takes my chances. Biggest thing I ever sold was a FF XII CE for about $80 to someone in France.[/QUOTE]
usps has tracking worldwide. It cost a lot, however.

[quote name='animemaniac14']i wonder how much it is to just ship the PS3 out...anyone know?[/quote]

USPS Priority Mail will be about $35, maybe a little more depending on your packing materials.

I didn't come in the high expectations. I was considering selling it as a pre-order, but I am glad I didn't. I was originally put down for a 60gb, but had to switch to a 20gb to get it on launch day. Anyway, sold it as a one day. It ended last night for about $1,300, which is more than what I originally wanted when I planned this.

$1,200. I'm happy. Now hopefully I actually get paid. Sold to someone with 16 feedback (100%) and the account has been around since 2003 so I don't think it's a scammer.

[quote name='javeryh']$1,200. I'm happy. Now hopefully I actually get paid. Sold to someone with 16 feedback (100%) and the account has been around since 2003 so I don't think it's a scammer.[/quote]
Nice bump up in the last 20 minutes, huh? Rest easy now! :D

[quote name='randy5554']Nice bump up in the last 20 minutes, huh? Rest easy now! :D[/quote]

yeah, I just received notification of payment but it is in the form of an eCheck. The email said to not ship until the funds have been cleared into my PayPal account which takes about 4 business days. Should I be worried about this? Once the eCheck clears and the money is in my PayPal account is there any way I can get screwed?

Wow... guess the fact my Sam's had a line when I checked after work Thursday was a blessing in disguise... it was so fucking cold that night too... glad I didnt get one now

[quote name='javeryh']yeah, I just received notification of payment but it is in the form of an eCheck. The email said to not ship until the funds have been cleared into my PayPal account which takes about 4 business days. Should I be worried about this? Once the eCheck clears and the money is in my PayPal account is there any way I can get screwed?[/quote]
Don't ship it until it clears. Once it's in your Paypal account, I'd assume it's like any other Paypal funds. I'd do what the other people in this thread have been doing, and move it to your bank account after it clears.

[quote name='randy5554']Don't ship it until it clears. Once it's in your Paypal account, I'd assume it's like any other Paypal funds. I'd do what the other people in this thread have been doing, and move it to your bank account after it clears.[/quote]

That's what I plan on doing = it's shitty timing though because the funds clear Wednesday (estimated) and it will take a day or two to transfer to my bank account and it's Thanksgiving weekend... Oh well, once the $1,250 is in my bank account it's a done deal as far as I'm concerned.

bread's done
Back