The official "Lets love all the systems" thread

Yeah, I'm one of those multi-console hippies -- I've got 'em all (well, my PC is only middle-of the-road, but I can live with watered down ports on the consoles, since they aren't costing me two grand). I justify the multi-console ownership this way: rather than have fewer consoles, more games, and be miffed at exclusive games I don't have access to, I can buy all the consoles, have access to any game I want, and I just have to be more selective with which games I buy and for how much (hence my presence here). It works out anyway, since I don't have the time for as many games as I used to. I can't say I LOVE them all, but I do appreciate them for different reasons.

There are plenty of reasons to severely dislike Microsoft as a company, and that's not fanboyism. Their business practices are so unscrupulous it boggles the mind. Of course, that didn't stop me from buying an Xbox -- I just figured that since MS takes such a big loss on its consoles that as long as I didn't buy too many games, I was actually helping the company LOSE money. :wink:

Oh, and speaking of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, how the heck long IS that game? I've racked up 25+ hours, and I've gone through c. 60 missions ... out of, what, 300? :shock:

i have:

atari 2600
vectrex
intellivision
nintendo
super nintendo
genesis (w/sms adapter)
3do
saturn
playstation
psone w/screen
n64
dreamcast
ps2
gamecube
PC

gameboy color
gba sp
neo geo pocket color
atari lynx

[quote name='trq'] -- I just figured that since MS takes such a big loss on its consoles that as long as I didn't buy too many games, I was actually helping the company LOSE money. :wink: [/quote]

It's a nice attempt a justifying your purcahse but unfortunatly it dosent work that way, In a companies eye's all you've done is help justify the millions they put into jamming the thing down peoples throats by giving them a sale and freeing up space in a stores inventory for another system.

Exclusive wise in the last 2 or 3 years of the xbs life I havent seem more that 5 games worth my time(I dont play FPS)... but even if i saw 10 like I did with the GC I still wouldnt buy one.

Back in the day when we were all coming off of Genesis and SNES I'd gotten all fed up with the companies. Nintendo was editing games left and right to make them more child friendly and canstantly lying about upcoming products, Sega was constantly showing no confidence in titles people wanted like RPGs and their systems were always technically weaker than their opponents, oh and they made the 32x which was an insult in general. In short they were both taking their customers for granted.

When I read about many of the things Sony was doing right for a new comer and how they were actually impressing developers with the PS, I had to think long and hard about my next system. I couldnt go out and own another 3 systems, I was coming out of highschool and I had very little money. Should I give up the possibility of franchaise sequels? N64 and the zelda, (possible at the time)Metroid, and mario games, the Saturn and the Sonic games and Phatasy Star? Or should I go with tis new comer that was actually IMPRESSING me and the people who MAKE the games and an early promise that their next system would be backwards compatible with the old games?

Eventually I went with the PS because I'd seriously grown tired of the way I was feeling towards Sega and Nintendo's buisness practices. PS came out on top I found new franchaises to be interested in and they stayed good on their promise of backwards compatability in the PS2 (which REALLY earned some respect). Yeah they've dropped the ball in terms of contruction quality and a few other plans (some of which were just delayed rather than outright canceled) but I dont feel taken advantage of.

Now with the XB coming after the PS2 it was just redundancy to me for one thing, another "next gen" system for a gratuitous price right after I'd bought one that already promised a lot of popular developers and games. Plus I just generally didn't like Microsoft. Gates, the "face of M$", came off as egotistical even before he got into games. The stench of "I can have whatever I want with enough money." permiated everything he did, and helped gain him that nice fat antitrust suit we all hear so much about. It was the exact opposite of the way the Japanese companies tended act, usually humble in the face of success and no one person taking all the credit for a success but usually someone willing to take blame for a mistake, I respect that. I do NOT respect M$ and their box just dosent impress me all that much.

I'm gonna be cool and make a list too:

NES
SNES
Genesis
32X
Saturn
Playstation
Nintendo 64
Dreamcast (the best)
PS2
Gamecube
Xbox
PC
Game Boy
Game Boy Color
Game Boy Advance
Game Gear
Sega Nomad

You heard me. Nomad bitches! But I want a Sega CD, preferably a CDX. I cry myself to sleep everyday I don't have one.

[quote name='Alpha2'] It's a nice attempt a justifying your purcahse but unfortunatly it dosent work that way, In a companies eye's all you've done is help justify the millions they put into jamming the thing down peoples throats by giving them a sale and freeing up space in a stores inventory for another system. [/quote]

I don't disagree -- that's why I put the "wink" in there. Although if I was going to play devil's advocate, there is a theory that MS is so gung-ho to be the first out of the gate with the next system because of said losses, so who knows?

The bottom line for me was that the Xbox had enough games I wanted, so I bought the system. Sure, I wasn't too crazy about some of the ways MS handled its entry into the console world, but I can easily come up with flaws for all of the consoles/manufacturers -- there's no such thing as the "perfect console" and there never will be. So I say worry about system politics less and try not to let anything suck the fun out of the hobby. Hence the topic.

bread's done
Back