The official N-Gage thread

I saw Splinter Cell at a lunch meeting yesterday. I'll post a preview on it next week (ngage.gamespy.com). Full 3D is pretty impressive.

[quote name='ViolentLee']I saw Splinter Cell at a lunch meeting yesterday. I'll post a preview on it next week (ngage.gamespy.com). Full 3D is pretty impressive.[/quote]

After seeing the screens, I'm really excited. I can't wait to see some clips of it in action.

One game I'm actually very surprised about is Tomb Raider. All I've read is bad things about this game, but I'm enjoying the hell outta it.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']
After seeing the screens, I'm really excited. I can't wait to see some clips of it in action.

One game I'm actually very surprised about is Tomb Raider. All I've read is bad things about this game, but I'm enjoying the hell outta it.[/quote]

I didn't like Tomb Raider all that much. I'd be willing to bet that my dislike for it on PC/PSx has a lot to do with that. The game I found to have been playing a lot of however is FIFA 2004 (With Henry on the cover, how could I not?). It's a great game to play in short bursts, which is how I mainly use my NGage for gaming.

I'd like to check out McRae '05 for the NGage as well, but right now, even with the good reviews, I can't justify spending over half the cost a the phone for one game, not to mention that I want to get the game for XBox as well.

[quote name='BigDirty'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']

One game I'm actually very surprised about is Tomb Raider. All I've read is bad things about this game, but I'm enjoying the hell outta it.[/quote]

I didn't like Tomb Raider all that much. I'd be willing to bet that my dislike for it on PC/PSx has a lot to do with that. The game I found to have been playing a lot of however is FIFA 2004 (With Henry on the cover, how could I not?). It's a great game to play in short bursts, which is how I mainly use my NGage for gaming.

I'd like to check out McRae '05 for the NGage as well, but right now, even with the good reviews, I can't justify spending over half the cost a the phone for one game, not to mention that I want to get the game for XBox as well.[/quote]

Tomb Raider is definitely a love it or hate it type game. I've enjoyed a lot of the Tomb Raider games throughout the years, especially the first one. I guess that's why I'm having so much fun with it. I think it's a very faithful port of the PS1/Saturn version.

[quote name='BigDirty']I'd like to check out McRae '05 for the NGage as well, but right now, even with the good reviews, I can't justify spending over half the cost a the phone for one game, not to mention that I want to get the game for XBox as well.[/quote]

I played some Colin, as Nokia recommended I at least check it out for the N-Gage Games of the Year. It's pretty sweet; easily the best looking/playing portable racer I've played. Of course, the only really decent racer for handhelds, in my opinion, has been Mario Kart: Super Circuit.

I'm hoping to review it fully, as well as Pathway to Glory, in the next week or two. Things are crazy busy for me, work-wise, and N-Gage coverage kind of gets pushed to the wayside a bit. Now that I'm doing the wireless page for GameSpy, too, I have to spread myself even thinner.

Here's my top 10 N-Gage games so far, just cuz I'm looking at 'em:

10. The Sims
9. Rayman
8. Monkey Ball
7. Tiger Woods
6. Splinter Cell
5. Ghost Recon
4. Colin McRae,
3. Tony Hawk
2. Pocket Kingdom
1. Pathway to Glory

This is probably a stupid a question that will solidify my staus as a newb.

What service providers can I use an ngage with? I have verizon contract that is up this month and would rather not switch companies becuase I can only get reception through verizon or cingular. Cingular's reception gets weak out of town.

I bought an original N-Gage, and they sold those in two versions: T-Mobile and Cingular; I bought the T-Mobile, knowing it would work with my local wireless provider.

Now, I have Cingular; I tried to switch my SIM card to the N-Gage, and it will not work at all. As a result, I'm going to be putting my N-Gage on eBay soon. Dammit.

The QD, on the other hand, can be purchased as a "multi-carrier" model, so it should work with anything.

If I'm leaving anything out, I'm sure someone will mention what it was.

myke.

[quote name='mykevermin']I bought an original N-Gage, and they sold those in two versions: T-Mobile and Cingular; I bought the T-Mobile, knowing it would work with my local wireless provider.

Now, I have Cingular; I tried to switch my SIM card to the N-Gage, and it will not work at all. As a result, I'm going to be putting my N-Gage on eBay soon. Dammit.

The QD, on the other hand, can be purchased as a "multi-carrier" model, so it should work with anything.

myke.[/quote]

How much does the first version go for on ebay?

[quote name='mykevermin']I bought an original N-Gage, and they sold those in two versions: T-Mobile and Cingular; I bought the T-Mobile, knowing it would work with my local wireless provider.

myke.[/quote]

The Berserker. Nice avatar.

I never had a problem switching sim cards with any of my N-Gages (I have 2 QD, 2 old-school). Does Cingular not use SIMs?

AT&T is now an N-Gage carrier, too.

Cingular uses SIMS, but they aren't compatible with the T-Mobile N-gages (which explains why they had two versions of the original).

Regrettably, I think I'm going to put up the eBay auction tomorrow. But, if anyone (such as you) that has extra N-Gages you aren't using as a phone (and that are also compatible with Cingular cards) would want to do a trade, I'd be glad to negotiate something.

myke.

Husss!

Sorry, I'm keeping both QDs. My fiance likes them, so on the off chance we ever play something multiplayer, I'm keeping two. Also, I sometimes have friends help me out for multiplayer when I'm doing reviews.

How much is an N-Gage v1.0 going for on eBay?

[quote name='ViolentLee']Husss![/quote]

LOL.

Hey Lee, I got the shirt. Thanks a bunch.

When ya doing your next review or preview on Gamespy? You now have me checking that site daily for your updates.

I'm hoping to hammer out a Pathway to Glory review tomorrow afternoon. Been playing it off and on, and want to get it up as soon as possible. Also looking at a Colin McRae Rally 2005 review before too long, but that'll probably be after Pathway.

Thanks for checking out the site. Now there are two of us who visit there. ;)

i love the version 1.0 one but would like to get a qd eventually if i see it cheap. im also hoping they make the next ngage....anyways

colin 05 is oretty good and fun to play. also the beta of xmen legends and king of fighters came out and i think they have some potential...kof is pretty darn good and legends even has the intro from the consoles versions. i just cant wait for wwe

[quote name='ViolentLee']Husss!

Sorry, I'm keeping both QDs. My fiance likes them, so on the off chance we ever play something multiplayer, I'm keeping two. Also, I sometimes have friends help me out for multiplayer when I'm doing reviews.

How much is an N-Gage v1.0 going for on eBay?[/quote]

Enough that I'll end up shelling out $25-30, tops, for a QD. I think I'm going that route.

myke.

[quote name='guyver2077']i just cant wait for wwe[/quote]

I always look forward to WWE games, but, dude, this game has 12 fucking wrestlers in it. That's lame.

myke.

hmm this question may be a borderline warez question but I should be receiving my 1 gig mmc card at the end of the week and I was considerign buying pocket kingdom as well... is it possible to copy the pocket kingdom files to the mmc and play off of it so i dont have to carry around two cards and swap? I have the original n-gage so its kind of a pain.

Another question I had was whether or not you could convert videos to be rotated 90 degrees so you could hold the ngage sideways to watch and have a more normal 4:3 aspect ratio

[quote name='Milkyman']hmm this question may be a borderline warez question but I should be receiving my 1 gig mmc card at the end of the week and I was considerign buying pocket kingdom as well... is it possible to copy the pocket kingdom files to the mmc and play off of it so i dont have to carry around two cards and swap? I have the original n-gage so its kind of a pain.

Another question I had was whether or not you could convert videos to be rotated 90 degrees so you could hold the ngage sideways to watch and have a more normal 4:3 aspect ratio[/quote]

Side-watchin'

[quote name='Milkyman']hmm this question may be a borderline warez question but I should be receiving my 1 gig mmc card at the end of the week and I was considerign buying pocket kingdom as well... is it possible to copy the pocket kingdom files to the mmc and play off of it so i dont have to carry around two cards and swap? I have the original n-gage so its kind of a pain.

Another question I had was whether or not you could convert videos to be rotated 90 degrees so you could hold the ngage sideways to watch and have a more normal 4:3 aspect ratio[/quote]

You can download it to your MMC, but I don't think you'll be able to play online with it.

And yes, you can rotate the video.

Here's the instructions on how to do it from ngagegaming.com

Smartmovie
First you are going to need a copy of smartmovie, how you obtain this is completely up to you
if like me you want to pay for this amazing application it will set you back $19.98 (U.S, convert this at will)
It can be purchased from here Lonely Cat Games

Load up smartmovie
Click Open and search for the movie/clip etc you want to convert, the mainly accepted types of file
are .avi, .mpg, .mpeg, .m1s, .dat and finally .wmv

Once your desired file has been found double click it and the screen should now open up back to the previous screen saw when first opened except this time there is a movie loaded in the little window.
The top left information in blue shows you roughly how large the file is going to be with the following settings;

Video Settings
LandScape
Reduce Frames: Deactivated
Codec: Xvid Encoder
Bitrate: 96 kbps

Audio Settings
Enable - Activated
Force Mono - Activated
Frecuency: 16000 Hz
Bitrate: 24 kbps
Volume Boost: 250

Before converting it would be handy to decide where your finished product is going to end up, click 'options' then 'preferences' and select the directory where you want your file to be delivered.

These are your main settings, once these are filled in simply hit the convert button and sit back, kick your feet up and wait for the film to finish, the conversion time with these settings should be roughly half the length of whatever it is your converting - so if it's a large movie may aswell go grab a cup of tea for a while .

Once the conversion is finished you want the movie on your phone;

Hook your phone up by USB cable and locate where your new movie was left.
Once found right click and select 'Send To' you should have the option of a new drive at the very bottom, for example mine is the 'H:/ Drive'.

Send the movie on over, disconnect and open up Smartmovie - You may need to perform a scan of your system when looking for the movie once it's found sit back and mission accomplished.

I'm not sure if this helps to answer your PK question at all, but I started playing on the beta card. When I got review code, I popped it in and my game was still saved on the N-Gage's memory. Does that make sense?

[quote name='ViolentLee']For those interested, I posted my review of Pathway to Glory on http://ngage.gamespy.com[/quote]

Could someone please copy and paste the entire review for me? I'm at work and yahoo will only cache the first page of the review and not the other two pages.

Lee, from what I've read on the first page, this game sounds incredibly awesome!

[quote name='ViolentLee']Thanks, Grave. Wish I knew technical info like that, but sadly I don't.[/quote]

If you go into the Tools menu, then click Memory, it should show you how much memory the game takes up on the MMC and how large it is.

Wow, that's the largest sized N-Gage game I've seen so far. Some of my games are on 15 mb cards, so to see this one at 61 mb is pretty impressive.

I can't wait to pick this gem up.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had 15 meg of music and voiceovers alone.

By the way, anyone else ever have the problem of your N-Gage (QD in my case) all of a sudden telling you to insert a SIM card, even though there's one in there? One of mine does it a lot, and it really is annoying.

you guys have got me interested in the ngage cause im looking for a new phone and it sounds pretty awesome. I don't know where to find them or what to know about them though?

Am I right to believe that only the old style Ngage plays mp3s and videos on the memory cards? If so, thats the one I want, but I can't seem to find them ANYWHERE, and on ebay they go for around $120, I hear people getting them for a lot less then that, how would I find one cheaper? I'd even be willing to get a QD, i just need a phone, cause im paying for service I can't use at the moment..

[quote name='jer7583']you guys have got me interested in the ngage cause im looking for a new phone and it sounds pretty awesome. I don't know where to find them or what to know about them though?

Am I right to believe that only the old style Ngage plays mp3s and videos on the memory cards? If so, thats the one I want, but I can't seem to find them ANYWHERE, and on ebay they go for around $120, I hear people getting them for a lot less then that, how would I find one cheaper? I'd even be willing to get a QD, i just need a phone, cause im paying for service I can't use at the moment..[/quote]

Both play MP3s and video clips.

Here is what each one has that the other doesn't.

N-Gage: MP3 Player, Radio, Stereo Sound, Tri-Band, Thinner
N-Gage QD: Hot-Swap, Brighter Backlight, Smaller (Length)

i got tomb raider yesterday and i was quite suprised it played so close to the original psx one...and also the arena features are pretty cool!

and the QD can't use mp3s as ringtones, only wav and midi. I think gamestop is selling them new without a contract for 150 or so for the QD. the original is difficult to find, gamestop.com sells them for 70 bucks used, if they ever get them. I got mine off of craigslist.

I love this phone, i've got a 1gig memory card in there and i've got videos, ebooks, games and mp3s on it. I've also installed a webbrowser, an instant messaging client, and an email program it's great!

I was wondering what applications you guys have on your N-Gage.

So far, I just have Smartmovie and FExplorer. I can honestly say, I really don't understand FExplorer right now, so I'm just toying around with it.

right now i've got
agile messenger, a multiservice instant messaging client, it works really well
profilmail, pop and imap mail program
mobireader, an ebook reader
fscaller, for full screen picture caller ID,
opera, a web browser
switcher, it lets you switch between running programs and view memory usage
avantgo, fexplorer and smartmovie

Man, after reading this whole thread, I want an N-Gage. Can you browse the actual internet if you have the right application, such as Opera?

yeah you can browse with opera depending on what kind of data plan you have with your cell phone provider.
i'm with t-mobile and have teh 2.99 t-zones plan which is suposed to give you access only to wap pages and certain ports like 25, 995 etc, but they block port 80 so you can't browse straight webpages unless you use a web proxy. I plugged the proxy settings into Opera and BAM web pages come down. but even without the proxy you can still check your pop or imap mail, and use instant messaging

hehe i've NEVER seen anyone who had any version of the n-gage except for when it first came out, i saw one dude on the subway with it.

Yeah, same here. I've never seen anyone else with an N-Gage, but I absolutely love it. It's by far my favorite handheld I've ever owned.

I'm sitting here at work while watching Shaun of the Dead on my N-Gage. Damn, I love my N-Gage.

[quote name='Milkyman']right now i've got
agile messenger, a multiservice instant messaging client, it works really well
profilmail, pop and imap mail program
mobireader, an ebook reader
fscaller, for full screen picture caller ID,
opera, a web browser
switcher, it lets you switch between running programs and view memory usage
avantgo, fexplorer and smartmovie[/quote]

I don't have my cell phone service activated yet, but should in a few weeks. Then I'll most likely get a lot of those programs you have now.

With the $2.99 T-zone plan, do they give you free instant messaging?

Oh, I also loaded YewNES, but I still have the trial version so it has no sound and the picture is pretty small.

Also, do you keep most of your apps on your internal memory, or do you run them off your MMC? So far, I've been keeping most of my apps on my internal memory and running my files of my card. I know you gotta be careful to not overload the internal memory cause you can get WSOD, though.

Wow... I just use mine for games. I get free service so it could be my phone, but I tend to keep those realms separate. I only have a 32 meg MultiMedia Card, and I doubt that can store much of anything.

I haven't found anyone to play with, either. As I have a couple units and usually dupes of games, I try to get my girl or a buddy to come over to play some Bluetooth. It really does work well.

I'm waiting to put up an Elder Scrolls N-Gage review on http://ngage.gamespy.com/ as soon as I get a top story image. It's definitely an interesting game.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Wow... I just use mine for games. I get free service so it could be my phone, but I tend to keep those realms separate. I only have a 32 meg MultiMedia Card, and I doubt that can store much of anything.

I haven't found anyone to play with, either. As I have a couple units and usually dupes of games, I try to get my girl or a buddy to come over to play some Bluetooth. It really does work well.

I'm waiting to put up an Elder Scrolls N-Gage review on http://ngage.gamespy.com/ as soon as I get a top story image. It's definitely an interesting game.[/quote]

"interesting" has many connotations. Is it good, or is it crap?

Does anyone have any idea how well the QD is selling? Although people rag on this system a lot, I also find it interesting that the console (both versions) is often hard to come by.

myke.

[quote name='Grave_Addiction']Yeah, same here. I've never seen anyone else with an N-Gage, but I absolutely love it. It's by far my favorite handheld I've ever owned.

I'm sitting here at work while watching Shaun of the Dead on my N-Gage. Damn, I love my N-Gage.[/quote]

How are you able to encode the movie to play on the N-gage? Id love to do this with my QD (I own one with every game so far except the new ones this past month)

[quote name='ViolentLee']Wow... I just use mine for games. I get free service so it could be my phone, but I tend to keep those realms separate. I only have a 32 meg MultiMedia Card, and I doubt that can store much of anything.

I'm waiting to put up an Elder Scrolls N-Gage review on http://ngage.gamespy.com/ as soon as I get a top story image. It's definitely an interesting game.[/quote]

I've heard the game is buggy as hell. Almost unplayable, and there's slowdown from hell. I hope that isn't true, though.

[quote name='gizmogc'][quote name='Grave_Addiction']Yeah, same here. I've never seen anyone else with an N-Gage, but I absolutely love it. It's by far my favorite handheld I've ever owned.

I'm sitting here at work while watching Shaun of the Dead on my N-Gage. Damn, I love my N-Gage.[/quote]

How are you able to encode the movie to play on the N-gage? Id love to do this with my QD (I own one with every game so far except the new ones this past month)[/quote]

All you have to have is the Smartmovie converter and the XVid encoder. You can get Smartmovie at www.lonelycatgames. It's all incredibly easy to do.

bread's done
Back