The Official PC Topic for TES IV: Oblivion

Well. I installed Oblivion last night thinking I would spend the long Memorial Day weekend playing it and I just can't seem to get into it. I haven't played any of the other Elder scroll games, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. I got out of the prison and delivered the amulet.

How do people usually play - first person or third person. I want to play from the third person perspective but I need the crosshairs of the FP perspective.

I'm a Wood Elf with Archer profession under the sign of Warrior. I don't know if I should be wearing metal armor or leather armor. I keep collecting stuff but can't find anywhere to sell it. I made some poision to add to my arrows but don't really have a clue what I'm doing.

Please help me to get into this game - based upon eveyone's comments, it's a great game and I want to enjoy it. Any comments on how to better enjoy the game?

[quote name='cheapfrag']Well. I installed Oblivion last night thinking I would spend the long Memorial Day weekend playing it and I just can't seem to get into it. I haven't played any of the other Elder scroll games, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. I got out of the prison and delivered the amulet.

How do people usually play - first person or third person. I want to play from the third person perspective but I need the crosshairs of the FP perspective.

I'm a Wood Elf with Archer profession under the sign of Warrior. I don't know if I should be wearing metal armor or leather armor. I keep collecting stuff but can't find anywhere to sell it. I made some poision to add to my arrows but don't really have a clue what I'm doing.

Please help me to get into this game - based upon eveyone's comments, it's a great game and I want to enjoy it. Any comments on how to better enjoy the game?[/QUOTE]

Hey there, in my opinion a lot of the questions you asked are part of the freedom of the game that this game offers. Honestly with all those questions you are gonna do whatever it is that you want to do. That is probably what people enjoy the most about it, you can really shape you character the way to want. But here's some of my opinions.

I think in playing it first person is more effective in the long run for the reasons you stated. Third person just seems to be useful if you need to see your surroundings better.

When you get out of sewer you should have been near the Imperial City where you can sell you goods to merchants there. You can not sell stolen goods (from NPCs not enemies) until you join the Theive's Guild and get a fence. This can be done in Imperial City too.

The armor question is really up to you, as a theif I chose to use light armor as it allowed me to carry more when I stole. Also in the end when you reach expert level with light or heavy they balance out to be even with the bonuses as light armor gets 50% damage improvemnt and heavy gets 50% less encumberance. So its up to you in what you think you need in the beginning.

Also beware that the enemies level up when you do and that was something I did not know until it was too late. This is specifically regarding the Kvatch quest which occurs once you deliver the amulet which you face a horde on enemies. I waited until I was level 20 to do this and had to face some of the hardest enemies in the game and all the support NPCs died. If you do this early you face pretty simple enemies. I didn't know this and it was really hard for me, especially as I was an archer who had only 'okay' blade skills.

In the end though, just do whatever you want to do. Go to any town and talk to people and you will get involved in different stuff. I never did the main quest for a long time and had fun exploring, and honestly I'm not even close to beating the game and I feel like I got my money's worth.

Thanks evophile for your response.

I "found" Imperial City - when I got out of the sewers I just headed out on the quest and never stopped in the city.

I am going with Light Armor since that's a major skill for me and helps me level up.

I wanted to use a bow but found it doesn't seem to do much damage - an imp takes like 5 arrows to kill. But then I found out about sneaking and now I can get a 3x multiplier when attacking while sneaking.

But what about all the crap that I find - spoons, cups, fabric, and non-armor clothing - is that stuff useful in any way?

Do you have to dismount a horse in order to attack?

I apparently stole some items (inadverently) and was being chased by guards on a road and in the city. Couldn't figure out what I did wrong or what item was stolen - ended up having to do jail time... sucks because my skills when down after it.

Do all stores offer the same $ for items - is there any point to shopping around to sell stuff within a particular city?

Thanks

Hey glad to help. Yeah bows can be tough if you fight up front, but eventually you do get strong enough, but like you said stealth is the key. Adding posion to your arrow helps a lot too with the 3x multipier.

Cups and crap are totally worthless. The non armor is just there for fun I think, but I've never done anything with it.

Stealing. When your cursor is has a "red" hand over an item instead of the "tan" color one, that means if you take that item you stole it. Also if you look in your inventory, the stolen item will have a red hand on it. If someone is around to see you do that most will call the guards on you. If you take something without anyone seeing you, you are generally safe. Also if someone sees you breaking into a house you can get in trouble too.

Selling and stores is determined by your Mercantile level. When in shops you'll probably notice the "haggle" button. From there you can try to get a better price to buy and sell from that merchant. You can generally do this a little with everyone, but it depends a lot of level. And each merchant only has a certain amount of gold they will use, so don't sell a 1000 item to a merchant who only offers 600 max. I honestly still havent figured out who has the most capital.

For example if you are a Journeyman of Mercantile you can most likely out haggle a merchant who is only an Apprentice or Novice. But it will be a lot harder to get a better deal from Experts or Masters.

Also, for everyone it looks like the next download will be ready soon.
http://obliviondownloads.com/StoreCatalog_ProductList.aspx?SubCategoryId=1
Mehrunes' Razor is supposed to be the biggest dungeon in the game and you can get an item that kills enemies instantly (probably severly limited I bet). Although this one cost $2.99.

OK, I was bitten by a rat and got a disease called "Shakes" which Drains Agility (drains 5 agility points). I can't seem to get rid of it... I went to a temple and prayed and it said I've been cured of all my ailments but this still shows up.

Any advice on how to get rid of this disease? I have been looking for some Cure Disease potion or scroll but can't seem to find it. HELP!

[quote name='cheapfrag']Well. I installed Oblivion last night thinking I would spend the long Memorial Day weekend playing it and I just can't seem to get into it. I haven't played any of the other Elder scroll games, so I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing. I got out of the prison and delivered the amulet.

Please help me to get into this game - based upon eveyone's comments, it's a great game and I want to enjoy it. Any comments on how to better enjoy the game?[/quote]

Lol, that's how I felt when I first got morrowind. Just do whatever the hell you feel like. You can't do everything like a JRPG so don't try. Just play through the game and take random quests and go exploring. You can always play the game over again.

bread's done
Back