The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='007']The second day I turned Near on, it claimed my current location was somewhere in Michigan for most of the day. I'm in Pennsylvania.

So, yeah, sometimes it has... issues.[/QUOTE]

Are you? Are you SURE? ;)

Well, except charge as often as possible, and use it plugged in whenever possible. Lithium batteries are damaged more by allowing deep discharges. i.e. discharging once to 20% is more damaging than discharging 8 times to 90%.

Sony has announced the release date for Gravity Rush. June 12. I was really hoping for it to come out around April

[quote name='007']The second day I turned Near on, it claimed my current location was somewhere in Michigan for most of the day. I'm in Pennsylvania.

It's not Near that has the issue. Near gets the location from the location data that the router's been associated with, so if you used to live in Michigan or the person whose router you connected to was from there, that is probably the thing that's causing the issue. Until I had it corrected a few weeks after I moved, google maps would always say I was still in Arizona where I used to live because that's the location my router was associated with. You can fix it by going to the Skyhook website to put in a request for that to be corrected if you're still having issues with your own router.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's not Near that has the issue. Near gets the location from the location data that the router's been associated with, so if you used to live in Michigan or the person whose router you connected to was from there, that is probably the thing that's causing the issue. Until I had it corrected a few weeks after I moved, google maps would always say I was still in Arizona where I used to live because that's the location my router was associated with. You can fix it by going to the Skyhook website to put in a request for that to be corrected if you're still having issues with your own router.[/QUOTE]

I'll look into it, but I can almost guarantee it was an issue with Near that day. No other device I have has ever had the same issue, and the Vita has been spot-on every day since. Unless it was somehow during manufacturing or shipping (which is doubtful in terms of a Michigan connection), the router has never been hooked up or activated anywhere but where I live.

Either way, I'm still amused by the fact that my Near history is traveling less than a mile each day... except for one day, where I apparently traveled upwards of 500 miles. You know, there and back. :lol:

Unless you're just being a troll, that's the most likely reason for errant data like that unless he has a 3G Vita or has the only wireless router within a few blocks of him. That location data would stand out from the rest of the nearby routers and would be more likely to be noted by Near than the rest that have essentially the same location associated with their MAC addresses.

If you just want to troll, then "LOL Near."

That isn't that bad. It's still in the same time zone. When the HTC Thunderbolt first came out the location my would be wrong all the time. Case in point, I flew from Raleigh to Newark and when I landed in Newark it told me I was in Colorado. When I returned home it told me I was in Nairobi.

Hah, yup, I'm in Philly and it picked up somewhere in Bensalem.

[quote name='jello44']Hah, yup, I'm in Philly and it picked up somewhere in Bensalem.[/QUOTE]

That ain't that much of a stretch - Bensalem's within the turnpike. Pittsburgh to Michigan is.

Now I wanna try out my Near, see if it puts me back in the midwest.

I live in Bangor, Maine and every other time I log in it's telling me I'm in Waltham, Mass. I haven't lived in Mass for 14 years and I certainly didn't have any internet or anything else in my name considering I was only 16. This router has only been used at this address and for about six months. It definitely has something to do with Near.

[quote name='ArJay2k8']I live in Bangor, Maine and every other time I log in it's telling me I'm in Waltham, Mass. I haven't lived in Mass for 14 years and I certainly didn't have any internet or anything else in my name considering I was only 16. This router has only been used at this address and for about six months. It definitely has something to do with Near.[/QUOTE]
Maybe the Vita is way more advanced than they've ever told us and it know where we've been even years before...

[quote name='mykevermin']No way, dude. FriskyTanuki says it's not Sony's fault, it's not Sony's fault.[/QUOTE]

You really like Frisky, huh?

Anyways, Near works fine for me.

[quote name='DeskLaser']Yes, it will. If you want to play a Vita game with a different PSN ID you have to completely erase all save files, etc, present on the game card before it will let you get trophies, etc.[/QUOTE]

Since I have yet to purchase a Vita, let me inquire further into this statement: are you saying the Vita saves data onto the game card itself? I thought you had to purchase the Sony Blackmail-priced Memory Card to save game data, therefore I am scratching my head at this. Can you, or someone else, please elaborate further? This makes the Vita sound like a DS and that you would only need the memory card if you wanted to download games.

Thanks!

So, being a sucker for handheld gaming (well, real handheld gaming, iphone/ipad shit excluded) I think i'm going to get a vita.

Problem is I don't see a way to not get proper fucked on the memory cards.

the launch 3G bundle with the 8GB card seems like the most reasonable way to go, but 8GB also seems very small for a $300 device. I probably won't use the 3G ever outside of the free MB included with the system, but it also would be nice to have one with full GPS functionality and in case some awesome asynchronous games come out in the future.

Getting the Wi-Fi model for $250 means i'd get at least a 16gb card but that's just over $300 for a model without the 3G/GPS and i'd buy super stardust anyway, so put that set at $310 at least.

Guess the question is if the 3G/GPS is worth sacrificing some memory card space.
I know I want to have Ultimate Marvel 3, Lumines, Katamari, and maybe Hot Shots as download games so I don't have to carry game cards for them.

Help? Also, does the 3G require a contract or subscription to get the free game? What happens if I never use the included data, does it just stay there until it's used, or does it expire in a month?

The 3G rolls over from month to month, but you get the code (so we're told) in the first 30 days (i.e., during the 30 paid days). So you then have the whole free month afterward to cancel before you get billed again.

[quote name='mykevermin']The 3G rolls over from month to month, but you get the code (so we're told) in the first 30 days (i.e., during the 30 paid days). So you then have the whole free month afterward to cancel before you get billed again.[/QUOTE]

The free 30 day code is instant no email needed or anything links to your account immediately after paying for the first 30days. You can check a box during sign up as well if you want the billing to be recurring or not.

Beat Uncharted last night.
Damn, so good.

Going to relax with Katamari and Lumines.
I'd play Hot Shots but it's gotten really tough.

Almost was able to convince Walmart to sell it to me until the fat man came over and said "i Dun think dat game is out yat".

xP37ql.jpg

[quote name='jer7583']the launch 3G bundle with the 8GB card seems like the most reasonable way to go, but 8GB also seems very small for a $300 device. I probably won't use the 3G ever outside of the free MB included with the system, but it also would be nice to have one with full GPS functionality and in case some awesome asynchronous games come out in the future.

Getting the Wi-Fi model for $250 means i'd get at least a 16gb card but that's just over $300 for a model without the 3G/GPS and i'd buy super stardust anyway, so put that set at $310 at least.

Guess the question is if the 3G/GPS is worth sacrificing some memory card space.
I know I want to have Ultimate Marvel 3, Lumines, Katamari, and maybe Hot Shots as download games so I don't have to carry game cards for them.[/QUOTE]Lockerz will get you that 3G 8GB model for $252 shipped depending on where you live. I'm in IL and don't pay tax. The 16GB memory card is also there for $45. Just go watch a bunch of videos on their site and get some points to get the discounts.

The 8GB memory card included with the 3G bundle is in it's original packaging so just resell that and keep the 16GB card. Honestly though if you're going to get a bunch of download games I'd just get the 32GB memory card (it's $75 at lockerz). My lousy 8GB is filling up pretty quick.

Otherwise wait and get one from Amazon Warehouse. Best of luck if you do that though it could be awhile.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='jmbreci']Since I have yet to purchase a Vita, let me inquire further into this statement: are you saying the Vita saves data onto the game card itself? I thought you had to purchase the Sony Blackmail-priced Memory Card to save game data, therefore I am scratching my head at this. Can you, or someone else, please elaborate further? This makes the Vita sound like a DS and that you would only need the memory card if you wanted to download games.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

The game card itself does not accept data written to it. Think of it like a disc.
All save files are written to the memory card.

[quote name='XClaude']The game card itself does not accept data written to it. Think of it like a disc.
All save files are written to the memory card.[/QUOTE]
I dont know if that's entirely true. I believe that some do save to the cart itself. All Sony titles require a memory card, but there are games like Dynasty Warriors and Marvel Vs Capcom that do save to the cart. Why the hell you'd not get a memory card though is beyond me.

I dont know if this list is at all accurate because I'm just going off a million different internet lists and making this but from what I've read:

Requires Memory Card for game saves:

• All Downloaded Titles (duh)
  • Uncharted: Golden Abyss
  • Rayman Origins
  • Lumines
  • Hot Shots Golf
  • Unit 13
  • Ridge Racer
  • Disgaea 3
Does NOT require memory card (saves to game cart):

• Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom
  • Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
  • Dynasty Warriors Next
  • Blazblue
  • Michael Jackson Experience
  • F1 2011

[quote name='XClaude']The game card itself does not accept data written to it. Think of it like a disc.
All save files are written to the memory card.[/QUOTE]
God dammit I was trying to make a list as I believe there are some games that do not require memory for the game saves as they do save to cart but I'm finding too much conflicting info. Either way you'd be dumb to not buy any memory for it.

I believe that these titles do not need a memory card for game saves and save to the game cartridge itself (if anyone owns any of these please correct me if wrong):

Dynasty Warriors Next
Shinobido 2
Dungeon Hunter Alliance
Touch My Katamari
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus
Army Corps Of Hell
F1 2011

Obviously this list is only for the physical retail versions and all downloaded titles (including those listed above) would require a memory card.

Is there any word on if EA is going to make SSX for the Vita? I forsee small issues, such as the lack of secondary triggers/bumpers, but I'm sure they can come up with a workaround. If they make SSX for this (and it's good) it's going to be hard to resist picking up a Vita, maybe even a 3G Vita if they aren't stupid about allowing ghost data to be sent over 3G. If they allow that, then I'd play this on the train. Ghost data shouldn't take up much bandwidth, I wouldn't think.

[quote name='crunchewy']Is there any word on if EA is going to make SSX for the Vita? I forsee small issues, such as the lack of secondary triggers/bumpers, but I'm sure they can come up with a workaround. If they make SSX for this (and it's good) it's going to be hard to resist picking up a Vita, maybe even a 3G Vita if they aren't stupid about allowing ghost data to be sent over 3G. If they allow that, then I'd play this on the train. Ghost data shouldn't take up much bandwidth, I wouldn't think.[/QUOTE]

Second bumpers=rear touchpad

Problem solved

I'm in full Vita mode right now so even though SSX has my attention, I'd rather a to-go version. I can wait till they make a Vita version or the console version drops.

Had some strange issues with my system last night where the touch screen stopped working. I thought it was a physical issue, but when I went out to the main screen the menu was locking up in a strange way. I reset it twice and it was still happening. Ended up turning it off and giving it a charge overnight. It worked fine this morning (from what I can tell).

really hope it's a one time thing.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...round-the-corner-on-march-13th-with-free-dlc/

Ridge Racer will be out on March 13 for $29.99 at retail or $24.99 on PSN. Launch copies include a gold pass with five cars, three courses, and a few music tracks and they'll offer a silver pass that'll pretty much be a season pass to get some more carts and courses from April onward. They'll also have an update coming at launch to improve the framerate and graphics.

It might be a better idea just to get the PSP Ridge Racer on PSN for $14.99.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...round-the-corner-on-march-13th-with-free-dlc/

Ridge Racer will be out on March 13 for $29.99 at retail or $24.99 on PSN. Launch copies include a gold pass with five cars, three courses, and a few music tracks and they'll offer a silver pass that'll pretty much be a season pass to get some more carts and courses from April onward. They'll also have an update coming at launch to improve the framerate and graphics.

It might be a better idea just to get the PSP Ridge Racer on PSN for $14.99.[/QUOTE]

Totally, at least that is a full fledged game and not this DLC Scamco bullshit.

I was so hyped for RR on Vita too, then I heard what they are doing with it. You can forget that shit.

Namco can go fuck themselves. They've taken DLC and "online passes" to a new low. I *might* pick the game up once it hits $9.99 on PSN, but we'll see.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...riving-to-ps-vita-for-free-courtesy-of-scion/

The Vita version of MotorStorm RC will be free, thanks to Scion. It's a bit of a shady way to do the "Pay Once, Get Both Versions" thing that they originally announced.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing the "Pay once, Get Both Versions" will still work for people who don't have a Vita right now but then if you have a PS3 you could just download from the store.

Their comment on that offer in the previous blog post seemed to deny that being in the works for the NA versions:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...3-on-march-6th/comment-page-1/#comment-692000
The ‘buy one, get one free’ applies for only for the European territories – we will provide more details closer to launch regarding our distribution plans, but rest assured that North American consumers will get both for $9.99.

That potentially means that this is how you'd get both for just $9.99 ($7.50 for PS+) and if you don't grab the free Vita version, you'd be expected to pay for both individually.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...round-the-corner-on-march-13th-with-free-dlc/

It might be a better idea just to get the PSP Ridge Racer on PSN for $14.99.[/QUOTE]

One thing I wondered when I read your post about improving the graphics. The JPN version of Ridge Racer Vita has a "blur" applied to the distant scenery, that many people have said is annoying. I wonder if Namco is going to remove that blur effect? It sounds like a really annoying graphical "feature".

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Their comment on that offer in the previous blog post seemed to deny that being in the works for the NA versions:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012...3-on-march-6th/comment-page-1/#comment-692000

That potentially means that this is how you'd get both for just $9.99 ($7.50 for PS+) and if you don't grab the free Vita version, you'd be expected to pay for both individually.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, have to agree with how you're reading it-- for at least the length of the promotion, you only have to pay for one version (the PS3 version) and you can still end up with both. (Everyone can get the Vita version free either way)

After the promotion it sounds like it may or may not be a "buy 1 get the other" situation. That said I'll likely end up just buying the PS3 version tonight (with the PS+ discount) and end up with both of them, however it ends up working out. :)

Regarding Motorstorm RC... If you read the replies to the comments on the original blog post about the Vita version being free, the Sony mod stated:

"Rest assured that no matter when you purchase the PS3 version of MotorStorm RC, you will be entitled to the VITA version for free. We will discuss further details when the Scion giveaway ends."

So, you can get the Vita version with Scion bits for free now. IF you want the PS3 version, you pay for it. If you pay for the PS3 version, you'll always have the Vita version available, even when the Scion offer is over.

http://kotaku.com/5891238/new-grand-theft-auto-final-fantasy-games-could-be-headed-to-vita

Rumor territory, but hopefully the tip of the iceberg come Friday's announcements. Getting some RPGs cooking on Vita would definitely help some of the on-the-fence crowd I would guess, and I wouldn't mind giving FF Type-0 a whirl. I would, of course, prefer a Final Fantasy Tactics remake that doesn't suck (although I'm sure I'll end up getting the PSP version at some point anyways).

[quote name='handsomepete']I would, of course, prefer a Final Fantasy Tactics remake that doesn't suck.[/QUOTE]

Does not compute. Which remake sucked?

Yeah, I don't like FFT, but there was only one remake, right? And it seemed excellent. I mean granted, this coming from someone who doesn't like it to begin with, but still, seemed like the same thing but better graphics and whatnot.

bread's done
Back