The Official PS3 Launch Unit Problems Thread

[quote name='whoknows']Anyone's PS3 break yet and need to be returned to Sony? I haven't seen many, if any complaints about it which is pretty surprising.[/quote]

If this holds true, I can pretty much guaranty there will be MS/N Fanboys that will complain about the lack of things to complain about breaking.

OK guys I finally got my PS3 yesterday and that damn thing is so freaking hot, the fan runs 24/7 and does not shut off is it supposed to be that loud? If not I will have to contact sony on this matter, and I got one of the 60gb from best buy today.

[quote name='Dijital']OK guys I finally got my PS3 yesterday and that damn thing is so freaking hot, the fan runs 24/7 and does not shut off is it supposed to be that loud? If not I will have to contact sony on this matter, and I got one of the 60gb from best buy today.[/quote]

Is there clearance on all sides? Atleast 6 inches? Are you laying it flat?

I dont want to sound like a jerk, but i will be. Its of my opinion that thier are not many broken ps3s but this is exactly why thier are not many of them. Unlike the 360, they tried not to sell the broken ones that they new to be faulty. While this is good for confadance, Who on earth can really get a ps3 anyway? Thier wont be many problems with so low numbers. if we hear about broken ps3s, it must mean that a pritty high % is broken, compared to other systems in the past that were numerus. the more systems avalible, the more chances someone has of getting one and getting a bad one and then going on line and talking about it. i sure hope we dont get stories of broken ps3's considering thier were only 100-170 thousand in the usa.

[quote name='Kayden']Is there clearance on all sides? Atleast 6 inches? Are you laying it flat?[/QUOTE]
My PS3 is flat, not standing up, however there is not 6 inches in all directions, I will be able to get 6+ inches on all sides except above that will only be a few, so I will try that, as I was thinking of doing that anywho, thanks again for the suggestion.

[quote name='Kayden']Yay for stupid threads!

Firstly, the PS3 in the op isn't a launch unit. If its anything like what the other stores have, its loose hardware sitting out of sight under an empty shell. Secondly, its in a freaking plastic bubble with next to no ventilation, how well would you fair?

Joystiq is a fucking joke. "Its okay MS did it because they were first." Like that is supposed to supercede the fact that its entirely different hardware? Don't get me wrong, if they have thousands of launch console bomb, that sucks. However, the article only says one console has failed. Granted, I'm sure there will be more, but lets not go making a mountain out of a fucking grain of sand. Even if they have 4000 bad systems world wide, thats only 1%, thats a hell of a lot less than the number of DS lites with broken hinges and you didn't hear people going "OMG NINTENDON'T (LOLOOLOL) FAIL!!!!!! HUUURRRRR".

We get it, you're a fucking tool. You don't like sony because you can't afford a PS3 or your dick is small or what ever reason you have for tearing across the web bitching about them at every chance. So, how about you save everyone the time of reading the excrement you call thought and just sit in the corner and swallow thumb tacks, ok?

No, I'm not a Sony fanboy. I'm not an MS fanboy, nor Nintendo. I'm just sick of idiots running around pissing and moaning about everything Sony does. Ya know what? If the PS3 is going to be such a colossal flop, its not going to be your fractured Engrish that topples them. Investors couldnt give a shit less as to what some 15 year old pissant on the ass of the internet could have to say about Sony. You know what would matter? The voices of the millions of consumers that were unsatisfied with the PS3. If everyone that buys one thinks they suck, that'll matter. If no one buys any of them, that'll matter. If a small minority of braindead fucktards with Nintendos dick up their ass ostcize Sony about every last move they make no matter how they handle it, that wouldn't matter in more years than you have inbred relations.[/QUOTE]
Wow, you sure do have a lot of time to think about everyone else besides your own problems that are linked to your outrage or anger issues. The whole point of a forum is to figure out before money is spent. I suggestion you take a break for a bit from the computer screens and go for a jog out side you defently sound like you need some fresh air. Trust me I'm not young, I am only watching this site because I am paid to do a research otherwise I would not be on here. Use your time wisely because your time is limited on this earth. Remember you have a judgment day that is coming and you will have to answer for every word and thought that escapes your mouth and brain.

[quote name='boobooyo']Wow, you sure do have a lot of time to think about everyone else besides your own problems that are linked to your outrage or anger issues. The whole point of a forum is to figure out before money is spent. I suggestion you take a break for a bit from the computer screens and go for a jog out side you defently sound like you need some fresh air. Trust me I'm not young, I am only watching this site because I am paid to do a research otherwise I would not be on here. Use your time wisely because your time is limited on this earth. Remember you have a judgment day that is coming and you will have to answer for every word and thought that escapes your mouth and brain.[/quote]

This makes your opinion not matter.

Just a quick question, I know the PS3 gets hot hot hot when playing, but does anyone smell a faint faint hint of burning in the air when running your PS3? Am I cause for concern or is this just something normal?

I left mine on for a few hours and its still running perfect, but just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this?

[quote name='boobooyo']Wow, you sure do have a lot of time to think about everyone else besides your own problems that are linked to your outrage or anger issues. The whole point of a forum is to figure out before money is spent. I suggestion you take a break for a bit from the computer screens and go for a jog out side you defently sound like you need some fresh air. Trust me I'm not young, I am only watching this site because I am paid to do a research otherwise I would not be on here. Use your time wisely because your time is limited on this earth. Remember you have a judgment day that is coming and you will have to answer for every word and thought that escapes your mouth and brain.[/QUOTE]
Paid to do research on CAG? Interesting.

Going by systems breaking that are locked in a plastic bubble and left on for a minimum of 1o hours every day non-stop with no breaks is stupid. Of course those systems will be more prone to failure when your running them that hard. Any electronic device is more prone to breakage if you run it non stop continuously in a poorly ventilated area.

Well, as someone who now owns all three, my opinion is the only one that matters.

That said, I haven't crakced mine open yet, so I'll have to get to you guys.

As for PS3s breaking down, well I know of at least 12 actual human beings who own a busted PS3. Incidently, I only know of 12 that actually own the system :lol: Here's hoping mine isn't busted as well.

Anyone know if the post-merger EB extended warranty has changed? EB's extended warranty used to rock, but did they adopt the GS one?

Well, I called Sony today re: my ethernet problem. They're replacing the unit for me. I have to call back when I'm in front of the unit to get the model #, and then they're going to send me a "coffin" ala xbox 360. I also have to do a system backup on my PS3, so I can keep all my game saves. They won't let me keep the HD. I hope it backs up the PS2 card I copied over.

I'll keep you guys informed!

I hope this solves the problem with my picture going black during resistance, too.

My PS3 that I got at launch is doing fine.

My cousin's on the other hand, had a problem with the wi-fi connection. His PS3 came in on TRU's second shipment about 3 weeks after launch. I contacted Sony for him and they sent over a big box with pre-paid postage to their service center in Texas. The box included form-fitting foam to fit the system itself. It also included detailed instructions on how to package the unit and what to include in the box (cables, controller). It was pretty painless; sent out the package on a Thursday and received a new unit on Saturday, which works perfectly so far.

The ps3 gets too hot... I don't think that's good for the system life long term. parts my get brittle from being heated, and cooled so often. anyone doing anything special to keep the ps3 cool? I was thinking about just letting the fan blow on it.

I'm getting the 3 beeps of death whenever I try to play the F1 or Gran Turismo demo. My system works flawlessly with everything else (Blu-rays, other demos, PS3 games, PS2 games). Finally called Sony today and they're having me reformat the whole damn HD. This probably isn't going to work, but I need to run through the cycles just in case.

I'm a little concerned over the heat this thing puts out, I turned it vertical in a hope to get it funneled out and away from everything else.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']I'm getting the 3 beeps of death whenever I try to play the F1 or Gran Turismo demo. My system works flawlessly with everything else (Blu-rays, other demos, PS3 games, PS2 games). Finally called Sony today and they're having me reformat the whole damn HD. This probably isn't going to work, but I need to run through the cycles just in case.[/QUOTE]
Well, I reformatted the drive and redownloaded the Gran Turismo demo, no luck. Still getting the 3 beeps when the demo plays. Which sucks because everything else works. Now I get to call Sony again tomorrow and see what they can do.

i have a ps3 japan version that doesn't work. it has power lights, can load games, but has blank black screen. Ive tried hdmi cables and av cables on multiple tv's. Called sony and they won't help because its a japan version in the US. They said i was effed. Is there any solutions where i can get it to work?

Can somebody help me with an issue I'm having with a new PS3. I got my PS3 last Friday and everything is working fine except for a couple of demos that I downloaded from the PS store. The games are Lemmings a Sudoku, when I'm playing the games, all of a sudden I hear 4 beeps (I think is 4, maybe 5 beeps) and the PS3 turns off while the red front light is blinking. I checked the manual and it says that when the red light is blinking it means that the system is overheating, but this are the only demos I'm having problems with; I have played Motorstorm and GT HD with no problems at all.

I've my system away from my TV on top of a desk, nothing is blocking the air vents and it's not enclosed inside the furniture.

Any help will be appreciated !

:whistle2:( ... while I was typing this message, I had the PS3 on in the dashboard and I heard the 4 beeps again. The PS3 turn off by itself again, without playing any games.

[quote name='Sh0k']Can somebody help me with an issue I'm having with a new PS3. I got my PS3 last Friday and everything is working fine except for a couple of demos that I downloaded from the PS store. The games are Lemmings a Sudoku, when I'm playing the games, all of a sudden I hear 4 beeps (I think is 4, maybe 5 beeps) and the PS3 turns off while the red front light is blinking. I checked the manual and it says that when the red light is blinking it means that the system is overheating, but this are the only demos I'm having problems with; I have played Motorstorm and GT HD with no problems at all.

I've my system away from my TV on top of a desk, nothing is blocking the air vents and it's not enclosed inside the furniture.

Any help will be appreciated !

:whistle2:( ... while I was typing this message, I had the PS3 on in the dashboard and I heard the 4 beeps again. The PS3 turn off by itself again, without playing any games.[/QUOTE]
I had the exact same promblem a couple of posts up. I sent my PS3 and got a brand new one 2 days later.

Works perfectly.

Well, i went this morning and tried to replace the unit at Circuit City, but they were out of stock. I returned it and I'm in the search of another PS3, but not in a rush after having tested the machine for the weekend.

I tried to watch "The Lake House" (Blu-Ray) that I got via Blockbuster Online and the PS3 could not read the disc. I have watched about 5 other Blu-Ray DVDs without a problem. The disc feels thicker than the others but is marked with the Blu Ray logo. I wondered if anyone else has a similar problem?

I recently watched the same BR movie (from Netflix) and it worked perfectly fine. Maybe it's just the disk you got.

[quote name='cheapfrag']I tried to watch "The Lake House" (Blu-Ray) that I got via Blockbuster Online and the PS3 could not read the disc. I have watched about 5 other Blu-Ray DVDs without a problem. The disc feels thicker than the others but is marked with the Blu Ray logo. I wondered if anyone else has a similar problem?[/QUOTE]
The PS3 has the Cell processor, the most advanced computer chip in consumer electronics. It was obviously telling you to get a better taste in movies.

[quote name='Ugamer_X']The PS3 has the Cell processor, the most advanced computer chip in consumer electronics. It was obviously telling you to get a better taste in movies.[/QUOTE]
LOL!

Yea - I was expecting a comment like that eventually. But I was trying to get movie my wife would watch so that I could demonstrate the advanced capabilities of the PS3 (and justify the money spent!)

I have the same problem. I bought my PS3 4-5 days ago. It keeps turning itself off and then it won't turn back on for a couple of minutes. It powers on but no screen...I guess I will return it later?

My launch day PS3 is having a PS2 memory card problem. I had created and only used a single virtual PS2 card on the PS3 when playing my PS2 games since launch, and it had worked without a hitch. Today none of the saves that I had on that card were showing up, and when I checked the card on the XMB, it showed the card to be empty.

I tried playing games with that card in the first virtual card slot, but I kept receiving a message that the card needed to be formatted. When the menu asked me if I wanted to format and I agreed, I'd receive an error message stating that the card couldn't be formatted.

I haven't played many PS2 games on the PS3, so losing the saves isn't a big deal. I would like to recover the PS2 saves if possible, though, as I don't have them backed up elsewhere. Everything else works fine on the system (i.e. PS3 game saves are still present and working, all games and movies work, Tekken Dark Resurrection and GT HD work fine, etc.). I don't play my PS3 a great deal, maybe twice or three times a week for an hour or two at a time. If anyone else has run into this problem or knows how to recover the PS2 saves, it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

my system froze when i was going through the setup process entering my username. had to turn the actual power switch off and after that i continued and did not have any problems. one time thing maybe?

Completely retarded. My PS3 won't see the network anymore. The nic light won't come on, it says no cable connected. I called Sony and told them, they made me try and do tests again, I did and it did no good. The guy says that I have to try using another modem. I explained that I don't have one and he said I need to use a friend's. I explained that the 360 next to it works perfectly well with the same wire and modem, but the guy said that's not good enough. He can't start the repair process until I use another modem. So I'm going to call back tomorrow and say that I did. It works, I downloaded Tekken and GT fine before. I don't remember feeling that disgusted with customer service since dealing with Best Buy. Night and day after calling for a coffin for my 360 last night.

Anyone have problems with the video signal flickering off and then coming back? The TV will loose the signal and show "Video 6" and then it will come back. The component cables are the same cables being used for the PS2, and none of the other systems do it. It has happened during Blu-Ray movies only so far, never happened in 7 hours of Okami. Tried setting the output resolution to only one setting as well but it didn't make a difference.

Is anyone having problems with thier SIX-Axis controllers Disconnecting ? Mine does so every now and then. Granted playing single player doesnt usually pose a problem, but racing in motorstorm it can be fatal when racing against people. If this continues down the line this could get ugly. Anyone hear anything about this being resolved?

hasn't happened in a while to me. It seems like it happens more with some games than others. The worst was Resistance, it only happened a few times with VF5, 0 times with Flow, Tekken, or PS2 games. Maybe this last update fixed it?

[quote name='coolsteel']Controller won't pair with the system at all, just keeps flashing. Back to Sony it goes[/quote]
Did you hook it up first with the USB cable?

[quote name='H.Cornerstone']Did you hook it up first with the USB cable?[/QUOTE]

Of course, when reading the manual failed to produce any results I called customer service, when that failed they agreed to send me a prepaid shipping box. Funny enough figuring I had nothing to lose by trying I went to best buy, bought another controller and it worked just fine, so I just had a dud

Just curious, the other day I went to turn my console on and nothing happened. The green/blue light came on on the front of the console, but no video/audio came through.

I just shut it down and restarted and it worked, but I found that odd....

[quote name='doubledown']Just curious, the other day I went to turn my console on and nothing happened. The green/blue light came on on the front of the console, but no video/audio came through.

I just shut it down and restarted and it worked, but I found that odd....[/quote]
Handshaking issue with your TV perhaps?

Cheapy's video about his issues a little while ago.

Same issue?

bread's done
Back