The Official Santa Thread (what to get the kids?)

Javery

CAGiversary!
Feedback
20 (100%)
Anyone have any good ideas for toys or other cool stuff that they are getting their kids? The have plenty of video games and movies and music but board games or puzzles and stuff would be cool. Something educational (and fun) would be nice too. I'm looking for something a little out of the ordinary, I guess.

This thread may be a little early but with the potential to get lots of cool shit off of the internet you've got to factor in time for shipping.

My kids are 6 (girl) and 3 (boy) so it would have to be age appropriate but feel free to list cool gifts for kids of all ages - maybe this will turn into a great resource for parents or of you have siblings or whatever...

My 6 year old nephew loves Sorry Sliders, its basically shuffleboard mixed with a bit of Sorry game play. The grown ups will have some fun with it too. Also you can't go wrong with Jenga. After we play the real game my nephew just likes building with the blocks.

RRyder-768045.jpg

Just don't let him shoot his eye out, kid.

OK, so I was thinking of getting them THIS.

pic497356_md.jpg

It sounds like it would be fun and simple enough for the kids to understand. Any other recommendations?

[quote name='shieryda']Madeline tile matching game for the girl.

I also need ideas for my 3-year-old boy.[/QUOTE]

My son is WAY into the drums so he is getting his first kids set - Discovery Drums. $63 at TRU and you get a bass drum with kick pedal, snare, tom tom and cymbal. He loves playing the rock band drums and one of his favorite things to do is just bang the sticks on the couch. I'm sure I'll come to regret this but whatever - he's got an interest and I want to encourage it.

We are also getting him some basic transformers.

I saw one of those sets at an FAO (temporary store) at the mall. I remember my parents buying me one when I was 5 or 6, and subsequently destroying it by jamming the sticks through the heads of the drums.

My son, too, enjoys playing with the RB drums and guitars. Might consider one of those sets next year. He already has a shit-ton of trucks and trains, Play-Doh, crayons and plastic dinosaurs, so I'd like to get him some board games or something.

[quote name='shieryda']I saw one of those sets at an FAO (temporary store) at the mall. I remember my parents buying me one when I was 5 or 6, and subsequently destroying it by jamming the sticks through the heads of the drums.

My son, too, enjoys playing with the RB drums and guitars. Might consider one of those sets next year. He already has a shit-ton of trucks and trains, Play-Doh, crayons and plastic dinosaurs, so I'd like to get him some board games or something.[/QUOTE]

My son will be closer to 3.5 than 3 when Christmas hits. Those 1/2 months make a difference at that age. I think he will be OK with the drums but I guess we will see. We went to the Hard Rock Cafe in NYC a few weeks ago and he nearly passed out from excitement of seeing the drum sets encased in the glass. All he wanted to do was walk around and look at everything. He seems really into it.

My son also has a shit ton of play-doh, crayons, trucks and all that stuff - I honestly don't know where we are going to put the drums. We contemplated waiting until next Christmas or his birthday due to space concerns (we are in the early stages of putting an addition on the house) but then we decided that was lame. My favorite thing about Christmas is that every year my wife and I throw out (or eBay) the toys that haven't been played with in 6 months or more. It's so much fun.

Javery, do you guys have Craigslist? That'd be another option (or Salvation Army - even though selling and having the cash is better).

For the 5 and a half year old boy it will probably be Handy Manny construction zone playset, more trio blocks (which all just end up getting turned into trains or castle walls), and more hot wheels.

For the nearly three year old girl. That's a lot tougher. We've got more than enough plastic and stuffed animals to play with. We've already got a play kitchen that they both enjoy and dolly's dont seem to hold her intrest much yet.

I don't like being so gender specific with toys. But the boy really does like cars and the girl really likes animals.

bread's done
Back