The Orange Box (PC) - $30 @ GameStop (Alive again)

bigdaddybruce44

CAGiversary!
Feedback
26 (100%)
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=64510&affid=3000&WT.mc_id=050608nl

Just noticed this in the GameStop newsletter. It will be $30 until May 18th. It was $30 on Amazon a few days ago and went quick. Even though its backordered online, you should be able to find a copy in store. The three closest stores to me all have copies, so hopefully, the same will be true for anyone hoping to snag a copy.

EDIT: In-stock online

5/7 update: The game is now $40 online. I don't know if this is an error or not. Check in-store to see if you can still get the advertised price from the newsletter.

5/11 update: Wow, GameStop is very confusing. They run in the ad this week that TOB is price reduced to $40. But now, it is back down to $30 online! This, coupled with people's posts about their in-store experiences, should mean you can get the game for this price, no matter what route you take.

[quote name='guyver2077']I would bite at 20-25..

I would have to gift off hl 2 and ep 1 though[/quote]

Sell them to hit that point?

[quote name='bassec']Sell them to hit that point?[/QUOTE]

You can't. It's locked into your steam account.

Still, I paid the $50 while previously owning HL2 and Ep1 and its still incredibly worth it. Especially if you haven't played the console version.

[quote name='jalu6']You can't. It's locked into your steam account.

Still, I paid the $50 while previously owning HL2 and Ep1 and its still incredibly worth it. Especially if you haven't played the console version.[/quote]
If you already own one you can gift it away, just charge somebody for the privilege ;)

Also, Portal by itself is worth $30.

Gonna wait till it hits cheap again on Amazon. No tax and more bonus points to my amazon credit card.

But if worst comes to worst I'll order it from Gamestop. Thanks OP.

looks like i am in for this one, i got a taste of the tf2 free weekend and id love to get back into it

If anyone is on the fence, I got this at launch, and even at $50, I though it was the best value out there (and I already had HL1 and EP1). At $30, you might as well be stealing the stuff.

[quote name='blackbird3216']i would bite, but my graphics card can't handle that... (my graphics card is SO outdated)[/quote]

How outdated? The Source Engine is a bit old now and not that demanding. The newer games in the collection do use a more robust version of the engine, but you certainly don't need a high-end DX10 card or something to get some enjoyment out of this package.

Ugh, I was waiting for this kind of price -- but for the 360 version. I'd much rather play it on my 55 in. HDTV w/ DD 5.1 than on my 15 in. computer monitor, despite the higher resolution. Tempting nonetheless, though.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']How outdated? The Source Engine is a bit old now and not that demanding. The newer games in the collection do use a more robust version of the engine, but you certainly don't need a high-end DX10 card or something to get some enjoyment out of this package.[/quote]
yeah, but when i mean bad, i mean REALLY bad. I don't know what i was thinking when i was buying the system. It's a 2.8ghz Pentium 4(that's ok, i guess), 768ram, but the gfx chip is an integrated set with less than 98 video ram. Can't even play psyconauts on Gametap.(since the chip doesn't have built in shader capabilities)

[quote name='latinsword']... cancel and reorder :?:[/quote]
This is my ticket to getting laid, buzz off.

[quote name='jlseal']If you already own one you can gift it away, just charge somebody for the privilege ;)

Also, Portal by itself is worth $30.[/quote]
Portal is worth $30? Really?

Considering that it was more of a tech demo than a full-length game that actually feels complete, and it's only about 2-4 hours long, I wouldn't pay $5 for it.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Gonna wait till it hits cheap again on Amazon. No tax and more bonus points to my amazon credit card.

But if worst comes to worst I'll order it from Gamestop. Thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

Please change your avatar. You're not allowed to have anything Half-Life related in your profile until you buy at LEAST Episode 2.

Also, dammit... I just bought Portal and EP2 last night on Steam for $35... and I bought TF2 for $30 last week. I have The Orange Box on 360 and bought TF2 PC since it's got more people playing it, new maps, etc. Then the Flash Portal -> Portal 40 level map pack came out yesterday and I bit on Portal -- didn't think there was going to be any new content for that aside from a sequel. Then bought Ep2 just to round out the set and sell the 360 version.

Just before I bought Portal and Ep2, TF2 dropped to $20. I'd bought it for $30.

And now the whole fucking Orange Box is $30 at Gamestop... christ if I'd just waited a fucking week I'd have saved my ass $35 (after selling 360 version)

I'd order it, but I know it wouldn't go through since Gamestop's web site is incredibly incompetent and won't accept my credit cards, nor my in-store credit :bomb:

[quote name='iGen']Portal is worth $30? Really?

Considering that it was more of a tech demo than a full-length game that actually feels complete, and it's only about 2-4 hours long, I wouldn't pay $5 for it.[/quote]

How is Portal a tech demo...for an engine that debuted years ago? It is a short game, but was easily one of the games of the year 2007, surprisingly eclipsing the long-awaited EP2 in popularity. Everything about Portal...its concept, its gameplay, its story...took the gaming world by storm.

[quote name='redgopher']Please change your avatar.
[/QUOTE]

Who died and made you a mod? Keep dreamin' gopher boy.

Hmm, looks like the price went up...is it still $29.99 in store or did they decide to raise the price? This did seem like a pretty substantial price drop for Gamestop, I'm surprised it lasted while it did.

[quote name='New_Generation']Ugh, I was waiting for this kind of price -- but for the 360 version. I'd much rather play it on my 55 in. HDTV w/ DD 5.1 than on my 15 in. computer monitor, despite the higher resolution. Tempting nonetheless, though.[/QUOTE]

Your HDTV doesn't have DVI/HDMI/VGA input? Most videocards have Component output anyway though. Also if your receiver has 6 speaker direct-in (via RCA cables), you can get surround sound from your PC through it.

[quote name='Edge']Hmm, looks like the price went up...is it still $29.99 in store or did they decide to raise the price? This did seem like a pretty substantial price drop for Gamestop, I'm surprised it lasted while it did.[/QUOTE]

I checked with two GS locations in Emeryville, CA yesterday. One doesn't carry PC games at all, the other had the game still marked as $50. When I asked the cashier to check the price it rang up as $39.99. I must have looked pretty disappointed, because he asked if I'd seen it for less somewhere; when I said "Your website", he sort of shrugged and said "yeah, the website drops the prices first sometimes."

I really would like to play the games, and $10 isn't really that big of a difference; honestly, $40 is probably still a good deal. But there's a certain sort of principle involved. I went in there expecting to pay $30, and by gum I wasn't going to pay more. I told a co-worked about all this and he said I was "being kind of a cheap-ass".

Well, here I am.

I work at a Gamestop and can confirm that as of closing today the game is still $30 in store. It'll be stickered at $40 but be discounted $10 upon sale. It's most likely a mistaken double discount as the game is only supposed to be $40 this week, so I'd pick it up asap before this gets fixed.

edit: Just a notice but some managers may have instructed their employees to disable promotions on Orange Box which would keep it at $40

I am not sure how far this applies to all stores but i went to two stores both were recognizing a 39.99 price but not 29.99, so i left the first one (without even bothering to have them scan it) to see if a different store would be different. It was still listed as 39 but i broke down and said hell ill get it, its worth it. When they scanned it, it showed up 29, so moral of this story is to get them to scan it, to see if the computer is recogizing the discount...
So now ive got orange box for 29, woot! tf2 here i come

if anyone has a Frys electronics by them its $19.99 until Tuesday I just picked it up today for $19.99 amazing price for 5 great games.

If anyone is interested I have a $10 of $10+ coupon that I got for complaining about an order. I'll sell it for $5 paypal.

I can confirm that HL2 Orange box is $29.99 in-store at this location. Receipt says $10.00 discount promo #4827... $32.46 OTD

bread's done
Back