The Quest for a Career, I Need Help

Aberforth

CAGiversary!
So for the past year I've been trying to start my career as a software/hardware engineer. I have my degree in computer engineering already, it's just a matter of finding a job. I've had no internships nor prior professional experience. It's been pretty trying on my patience. I've asked my parents, brothers, cousins, aunts, uncles, and friends for assistance, but I haven't really gotten anywhere. Now I'm wondering if you guys have any input to hopefully help me out a little bit.

I can't help you but I'm bumping this since its already starting to fall down the page. I think we have a few S/H engineers here. Wait till tomorrow afternoon for answers as a lot of people surf here while at work.

[quote name='Aberforth']So for the past year I've been trying to start my career as a software/hardware engineer. I have my degree in computer engineering already, it's just a matter of finding a job. I've had no internships nor prior professional experience. It's been pretty trying on my patience. I've asked my parents, brothers, cousins, aunts, uncles, and friends for assistance, but I haven't really gotten anywhere. Now I'm wondering if you guys have any input to hopefully help me out a little bit.[/quote]

Your biggest problem is going to be the lack of experience. Why would "we" want to hire someone with a degree and no experience as opposed to someone who does?

I think that most engineering programs these days recommend, if not require, an internship or co-op to graduate. Its too bad that you didn't have that, it would really help. How were your grades? They don't mean shit after you get your first job, but they will hurt/help you for the first one.

Seriously though, keep looking on the internet, talking with recruiters, etc.

Also, you must consider relocation. Since you are already at a disadvantage with no experience, you may need to consider looking farther away from where you are now. If you already are, then keep up the work and don't get discouraged.

My current job (I'm an engineer too) took me 14 months to find and a relocation of 1500 miles. This was with 5 years of industry experience. That's 14 months unemployed and looking full time....not every couple of weeks while still working.

TBW

I'm a software engineer myself. I would recommend careerbuilder or monster. You will literally have 50 people a day calling you for interviews in about a 3 day time span...(or at least I did).

If you really can't find work in the field at least try to find a desk job working for a company in your field of choice. After you get to know people and prove that you're a dedicated worker you might find out about positions before they are opened to the public.

I'm not saying that it's guaranteed to work or that working a shit job you're totally overqualified for will be enjoyable, but this method has paid off for friends of mine who didn't want to leave their home city despite little demand for thier profession.

[quote name='zionoverfire']If you really can't find work in the field at least try to find a desk job working for a company in your field of choice. After you get to know people and prove that you're a dedicated worker you might find out about positions before they are opened to the public.

I'm not saying that it's guaranteed to work or that working a shit job you're totally overqualified for will be enjoyable, but this method has paid off for friends of mine who didn't want to leave their home city despite little demand for thier profession.[/quote]

This is great advice. Especially if you can get by without health insurance for a short time.

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

I forgot to add that I've tried monster, but have yet to try career builder, so I'll try it now.

TBW, as for my grades, I got a 3.2 overall and major (well, a 3.17 major gpa). And yes I'm kicking my butt right now for not taking internships more seriously, but at the time I really wanted to graduate "on time" (I put quotes because what does graduating "on time" really mean?) so I spent my summers taking classes.

As for taking a shit job :D (smiley because a shit job is better than no job right now) I tried that for short while, and to my surprised the ones I looked at required experience! But by the job description it sounded like all it was is just a windows troubleshooter position and they didn't want to consider me, ay yi yi. Edit: I'll try this some more, though.

I also have a question, do you think it's more effective to apply directly through a company's website rather than applying through a career website like say hotjobs.com?

Again thanks so much for the help thus far.

[quote name='Aberforth']

As for taking a shit job :D (smiley because a shit job is better than no job right now) I tried that for short while, and to my surprised the ones I looked at required experience! But by the job description it sounded like all it was is just a windows troubleshooter position and they didn't want to consider me, ay yi yi. Edit: I'll try this some more, though.

I also have a question, do you think it's more effective to apply directly through a company's website rather than applying through a career website like say hotjobs.com?

Again thanks so much for the help thus far.[/quote]
I was thinking more of a shit job in some area like accounts payable or filing, a lot of companies have high turnover rates in low paying desk work that has nothing to do with product development.

It's typically better to apply through the company website because sometimes they post jobs on their website that won't get posted on Monster.com, so while applying you might find another opening. Also if you're a bit more bold you can always call up their human resource department and chat them up for additional information before you apply, it's always nice to know if they are going on a hiring spree.

[quote name='Aberforth']Thanks for the help so far everyone.

I forgot to add that I've tried monster, but have yet to try career builder, so I'll try it now.

TBW, as for my grades, I got a 3.2 overall and major (well, a 3.17 major gpa). And yes I'm kicking my butt right now for not taking internships more seriously, but at the time I really wanted to graduate "on time" (I put quotes because what does graduating "on time" really mean?) so I spent my summers taking classes.

Again thanks so much for the help thus far.[/quote]

You should have a company in your area that offers temp jobs. That's how this english major guy taht I know got a job at a dot com. IT's good because you go for only a few days at all sorts of diff companies, so you're bound to hit pay dirt eventually.

Also for any goal that you really want, try writing it ten times down in a journal every night. See what happens.

Well with no experience it also depends on where you got your degree from. If you just want to get your foot in the door and not have to deal with a "desk job" try applying for some internships. Yeah the pay will suck (if you get paid at all) but when actual positions require experience this is an easy way to get it.

I think if you're willing to relocate and can put a decent resume together, you should be able to land something. My friend just started a high paying job in computer engineering after graduating in December, and his GPA wasn't spectacular. His people skills aren't the best, either. He had to move to Boise, but hey, they're taking care of him.
Get your resume critiqued (professionally, if possible), and contact your old professors for recommendation letters--even if you weren't going down on them between classes. You'll probably be surprised by who might help you out.
Other than that, just search the internet for interview tips and things like that--sometimes just getting a new suit can mean a world of difference. Keep trying, and something will fall into your lap.

So I just had a phone interview with a technical recruiter that I think went pretty well. Now, I'm not sure what to do.

Usually I just wait it out, then I get sent a "we're sorry we went with another applicant" e-mail. So should I sent a thank you e-mail or card or something? Or should I wait until a physical interview for that?

send them an email thank you saying you were glad to interview, meet with the and you hope to hear from them soon. Or you could be aggressive and let them know you think you deserve an interview.

Well I just got an e-mail saying I show up tomorrow for work!! Career Builder helped a LOT! Thanks everyone, especially mtxbass1 for suggesting I use Career Builder.

So now I have another problem, sleeping early. Anyone have any tips?

Unplug your TV/cable at 10pm to resist watching some late night shows.

If you really need to sleep early, then you'll know you've been up too long if you see Leno & Letterman on TV. It's always good to give a good impression the first month of work so get your Z's. Warm milk doesn't hurt, either.

I have two alarms, one above my bed and then my cell phone alarm in the other room.

The two phased approach (my annoying cell alarm goes off one minute after my alarm clock) gets me out of bed.

[quote name='camoor']I have two alarms, one above my bed and then my cell phone alarm in the other room.

The two phased approach (my annoying cell alarm goes off one minute after my alarm clock) gets me out of bed.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I set my cell for 5 minutes after my alarm, so that if I hit snooze on either they alternate every 5 minutes.

Yeah I have 2 alarms myself. One goes off about a minute or two after the other so they're consecutive. This has worked well for me since sometimes I sleep through/ignore the first alarm. :cry:

[quote name='Aberforth']Well I just got an e-mail saying I show up tomorrow for work!! Career Builder helped a LOT! Thanks everyone, especially mtxbass1 for suggesting I use Career Builder.

So now I have another problem, sleeping early. Anyone have any tips?[/quote]

Glad that worked out.

I would do the dual alarm thing like everyone else has said. After about a month your body will get used to it and you'll be up at a semi-normal time.

bread's done
Back