"The revolution is not a cow, lets not milk it."

EncryptedPrints

CAG Veteran
http://www.npr.org/2011/07/03/137402744/artists-street-artists-defend-egypts-revolutionary-imagary

From the above:

The revolution will be marketed!
Egyptian companies and multi-nationals are now using images of and references to the youth-led uprising that toppled autocrat Hosni Mubarak in advertisements to sell internet service, mobile phones, soft drinks, tourism and more.

The marketing has sparked something of a backlash among young Egyptians and has contributed to a rise in politicized street art and graffiti. Some street artists hope to reclaim the message in the streets by breaking the taboo of criticizing Egypt's military rulers.

and

few blocks away, there's a poster with a raised, clenched fist — holding a pair of sunglasses. It's an ad for a Red Sea resort, and says "Support Egypt's Tourism."

Another billboard shows people cleaning the streets, as many volunteered to do after the revolution. It says "The Country Is Ours;" the ad is for soap.

Companies have started to use references to the uprising against Hosni Mubarak to sell mobile phone service, soft drinks, tourism and more.

And it's not just billboards. Mobile phone and internet companies are filling the TV airwaves trying to cash in.

An ad for cell phone company Mobinil is built around images of Egyptians waving flags set to a classic patriotic song called "Egypt is my Mother."

For many young Egyptians who took great risks in Tahrir Square to help bring down a dictator, the commodification of the revolution is offensive and stupid, according to Youssef.

Egyptians aren't dumb, Youssef said, and the ad writer has come up with his own unofficial slogan in response:

"The revolution is not a cow; let's not milk it."

Of all the things I expected to come from Egypt, this was not on my list. We live in very interesting times.

How different is this from using the 4th of July to pretend that you're selling cars on your lot for 10% off? Granted the technology is different and word spreads MUCH faster these days, but how much do you want to bet that the same thing was going on by about July 8th, 1776 'round these parts?

marketing and advertising's job is to appeal to people. If companies start getting a bad rap for taking advantage of the revolution, they will most likely stop doing it. If more people start buying their soap, why should they stop? Because they are selling soap to someone who mentally connected the soap to the revolution? Meh, I don't consider this a big deal, unless it threatens the legitmacy of the movement.

Well of course, just think of what terrible things would happen if the market operated with decency and respect.

Because we dont see used car salesman pimping out presidents day, memorial day, etc..... Oh no! the world is coming to an end!!

Let's not kid ourselves, okay?

If Amazon did a 4th of July sale that was 50% off all games, a good chuck of you would be ordering stuff so fast, your fingers would be bleeding.

bread's done
Back