The SEGA channel

needler420

Banned
Were any members here subscribed to this sophisticated funk?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Channel

This thing was way ahead of it's time. SEGA genesis was the first console I ever played and the game was sonic 2 that game bundled with the 2nd model. I still have the original box and inserts/manual from the same one I played as a kid ( age 5ish). I wish I could have experienced the sega channel.

It was pricey for it's time. Very expensive actually for 18 years ago. Makes me want to get a subscription to PSN plus before I miss out on any more FUNK.:bouncy: The price to the sega channel to subs now is pale in comparsion.

Just wondering if anyone here was subbed to it and what the experience was like.

I had it as a kid but my parents go it for themselves more so than for us kids lol. I remember it and it was pretty cool. I was around 5 or 6 but I remember it changed games every so often about every month I'm guessing and the only downfall was if the new batch of games were shitty ones you were stuck with them

Another memory I have are my parents fighting over who's turn it was to play Beyond Oasis and one time my mom actually burnt dinner so bad one night while playing black smoke came out of the oven!

I never had Sega Channel myself, but I recently became aware that the cable units are considered to be somewhat rare collectors pieces. Apparently they were all supposed to be returned to the cable providers when the Sega Channel finally shut down, but many are still out there. I saw one on eBay a few weeks ago for around $120.

There was actually a topic a few weeks ago on Retrogaming Roundtable (that I can't find off hand) about someone trying the old units out. Apparently the connection animation was built into the unit itself. It plays it, but then gives a connection error.

bread's done
Back