The Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces, IGN rates 8.0/10.0

databuild

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
As a closet fan of both anime and flight games, Sky Crawlers: Innocent Aces instantly had me interested from the first time random screenshots and snippets of info hit the web. When publisher XSEED – responsible for other Japan-to-US conversions such as Rune Factory, Little King's Story, and the upcoming Fragile Dreams – to it upon themselves to team with Namco and bring the game to US shores, I dove into the movie, read up on the series, and happily hopped into the cockpit of Innocent Aces. And while the anime feature film itself was a mix of entertaining action and some depressing (and admittedly slow) storytelling, Innocent Aces kept pulling me back in. Players eager to explore a well-crafted Wii flight game will find the best offering on the system with the release of Innocent Aces next week (IGN.com)

MSRP $29.99
http://www.amazon.com/Sky-Crawlers-..._3?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1262987984&sr=8-3

I don't put a lot of faith in IGN's reviews (they just have different tastes than I do most of the time) but this does look like a good game worth trying. Not perfect, but good. It's also something different on the system, which is a nice change.

Ign always seems to push some kind of pro-hardcore game agenda on Wii.
They did it with with Zack & Wiki and then they did it with the Conduit.

I'll wait for an actual reputable source (if there is one).

Yeah, I agree with phil on this one. I mean, hell, I read an article on there about the best party games on the Wii, and Let's Tap was on that list. Yet they didn't even review the game. Sometimes tells me that giving that game a 7 or 8 would absolutely kill their souls.

That said, this game is made by the same team that does Ace Combat so I'm automatically interested, especially for $30.

[quote name='databuild']Zack and Wiki was quite good IMO, but I've never played The Conduit[/QUOTE]

Totally agree about Zack & Wiki. I understand why some people wouldn't like the game, and it was a bit too trial-and-error based... but still one of my favorite Wii games released so far and one that I would've loved to see sell better.

The last couple of worlds were amazing my favorite being...
All of the haunted house levels. The art gallery level was particularly memorable, as was the mirror level. It was kind of disappointing that levels in later worlds weren't as well made IMO, using more action/timing based puzzles.

[quote name='Chronis']...
That said, this game is made by the same team that does Ace Combat so I'm automatically interested, especially for $30.[/QUOTE]

The Radio Free Nintendo podcast (from www.nintendoworldreport.com) last week had a bit of discussion about the game. The reviewer has apparently played a lot of Ace Combat games, and based his comments on experience from them. It sounds like this game is quite different, with slower action and more emphasis on maneuvering before attacking, but still enjoyable and most of the talk was postive. The low price point is like icing on the cake.

Of course, you might be better off listening to the discussion yourself and drawing conclusions.

Yeah, I'll probably do that. I don't mind slower action/more maneuvering though. I liked Snoopy Vs The Red Baron and that was basically a slower Ace Combat with maneuvering through the crowded levels.

I hate the missions where you fly that slow, non-maneuverable plane.
The thing just sucks at following the faster aircraft. That mission where you had to
save three of your comrades was particularly frustrating.

Other than that, I'm really loving the game. Downloading the soundtrack as I type.

Yeah, that mission was a pain in the ass, I think that was the only one I lost more than once.

Great game overall, though, and I don't tend to like flying games much.

I'm on the second mission with that plane where you have to defend the-- it's been more than a week so I don't remember what exactly it was haha. I crashed into the ground from stalling. D'oh.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']I hate the missions where you fly that slow, non-maneuverable plane.
The thing just sucks at following the faster aircraft. That mission where you had to
save three of your comrades was particularly frustrating.

Other than that, I'm really loving the game. Downloading the soundtrack as I type.[/QUOTE]

What do you think of the motion controls?

Many reviewers trashed the controls and said that you HAD to play using dual-analogs and a Classic Controller instead... but very few of those reviews sounded like they even gave motion a fair chance. So many reviewers have complained (without good reason) whenever they are forced to look past their beloved dual-analogs, and now I struggle to believe negative comments about motion controls unless (a) I've tried the game myself, or (b) someone I trust can talk about them.
:bomb:

I like them a lot, but my hands shake uncontrollably due to the meds I take. That mission I was talking about was much easier with the Gamecube controller.

But no, I don't think the motion controls are bad at all. They're nice, delicate, and graceful unlike other Wii games.

[quote name='SuperPhillip']But no, I don't think the motion controls are bad at all. They're nice, delicate, and graceful unlike other Wii games.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the quick response - definitely sounds like this game is worth picking up.

bread's done
Back