The Spooky OTT

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Maklershed']:wave:I'm back in the land of power. That storm was outrageously intense. I hope to never live through something like that again. Three trees fell within about 30 feet of my house. The wind was so strong at times I was sincerely worried my roof would blow off. How was everything in Reading?seanracist and jstryke are still alive it appears[/QUOTE]

We didn't get much here. Rain and wind, but not much to write home about. Didn't see any downed trees, but I haven't driven on the backroads since, so it's hard to say.

[quote name='seanr1221']Ok so I returned my Acer for the Lenovo Yoga. It's more expensive but it's sexy as hell. Awesome build quality (similar to Apple) and being able to rotate the screen into a tablet is really cool. It's very fast and responsive so I'm definitely happy with it. Except for one thing.

Lenovo claims this comes with a solid state 128GB HDD. It does, but it's so full of Lenovo bloat ware, that after everything that comes with it, you get like 60GB of useable space. Also, it's split between a C and D drive. Pretty shitty. Some people online were talking about partitioning drive and such, but I have no idea how to do any of that.

So my question for any computer guys (I'm looking at you, 83). Could I throw an SD card in and use it as part of my storage? What can (or I guess a better question what can't) I run off of it? I love the laptop a lot, and I'm willing to buy a 64GB sd card, or maybe even a 128 card to offset the shitty bloatware.

Is there a way to easily combine the space on the C and D drives? Will things automatically save to the C drive? So will I have to manually tell my computer to save things to the D drive?[/QUOTE]

To answer your SD question, yes you can just put an SD card into your laptop as an expandable bay. You can essentially run anything from the SD card, but you will need to make sure it is always plugged in. Removing it when your laptop is reading the data may cause serious issues.

As for your "two drives" they (lenovo) partitioned the ssd, which is why you have a C and D. Most likely they did this to make sure that all OS and preloaded ware is on one drive and the other is blank for you to add to.

The easy way, is for you to wipe your SSD clean and do a fresh OS install. First order would be to change your ssd into one partition instead of two. This should give you about 90-100 GB of free space (usually a 128GB ssd reads @ 119Gb and OSs range from 12-15GB).

[quote name='2DMention']Is binary domain any good? The story sounds cool. They have it with a bundle with Yakuza Dead Souls for $30 at Target for PS3.[/QUOTE]

DO IT. Binary Domain is Dope and if you are long time Yakuza fan, then you'll get a kick out of Dead Souls.

Anyone here use a SBG 6580 modem? TWC is going to start charging a modem rental fee, and I am looking at replacing the one we have.

[quote name='seanr1221']Easy for you but I'm linkin prime leves of dumb with this stuff.[/QUOTE]

Well, at the core you can focus on uninstalling bloatware. Pretty much nuke anything you're sure you won't need. If you're unsure, Google it and see what the consensus is.

When it comes time to partition you can use a GUI tool or a Linux live cd to make it easier on yourself. I had to recently do a lot of this shit to triple boot a MacBook and partitioning is one of the easier things to do. Granted, deleting and then growing a partition is easier than creating new ones. Don't create new ones unless all your data is off of the machine.

I know seriously :/

I could do it with a video tutorial...probably.

I wanna get it done though. It's a really great laptop otherwise.

Trying to add myself to my wife's sprint plan, and I cannot understand this Indian MF'er at all.
I had to yell to interrup him in order to tell him I only want the basic plan. It took me 4 tries to get the question answered of " How much do we pay now?"

Speaking of tech support, who has called the Xbox support lines before? I have, and it is so weird that they all sound like robots. I would swear I'm talking to an automated machine the way they all sound the same and talk in the same patterns with the same timing between words, etc.

That reminds me, I need to call them in a few days to tell them to let my account revert to Silver. I haven't turned mine on in months...and when I did it was to watch an HD DVD

[quote name='munch']Why is that funny? And you can turn off auto-renew through xbox.com[/QUOTE]
Not in certain states that don't have laws requiring that option.

[quote name='munch']Why is that funny? And you can turn off auto-renew through xbox.com[/QUOTE]

Breathe in and out slowly. I was laughing at the idea of another Xbox being broken, not the process of auto-renewal/cancelling it.

Didn't think of xbox.com for some reason. Just checked and auto renew is turned off. If MS actually did something like PS+ I'd at least go month to month. I've pretty much shifted to PS3 anyhow

The Nintendo gimmicks always look stupid and while they usually end up being some amount of fun (for a little while anyway), I doubt this is going to take off. It will probably be a small hit early on and then start to fade away.

I know it's popular to hate Nintendo, but the main things I don't like about the Wii are that it's SD, and the online sucks. I like 1st party Nintendo games for the most part, and some are downright awesome. So WiiU fixes the first issue for sure, and MAY fix the second. That part remains to be seen.

As far as the new controller. I think it will have it's uses. I like some of the things they came up with, for example you can bring up a web browser on it mid-game, and it will auto-search for stuff about the game you are currently playing. That is pretty cool. I think there will be games that make fun use of it too. So I'm fairly excited by the WiiU. However I am not sure we can afford one right now. :(

I could have gotten over a lot of my hate for the system if it just gave me the option to not use motion controls. Why they had to force people to use shitty motion controls is beyond me.

I had fun playing Resident Evil 4, Super Mario galaxy, and Zelda on the Wii. And that was it. Another major problem was that the first party (read: good) Nintendo games never dropped in price. After those three the :wii: sat up on the shelf, never to come back down.

Why buy a great nintendo game for $50 when I can get a good :ps3: game for $10?

I'm not buying one, but at least they're trying to do something different. They have to compete. The more horsepower game isn't going to work for Nintendo. Creating something new worked well for the Wii, and there were some really great games on there. I still think that Wii Sports was one of the best launch games ever.

[quote name='munch']I'm not buying one, but at least they're trying to do something different. They have to compete. The more horsepower game isn't going to work for Nintendo. Creating something new worked well for the Wii, and there were some really great games on there. I still think that Wii Sports was one of the best launch games ever.[/QUOTE]

Getting hammered and playing bowling is a blast. Wii Sports showed how motion controls could be fun, but I still wish that in traditional controls were implemented in most first party titles. Metroid and Mario were not any fun with motion controls and they were games I really wanted to play.

I got bored with Zelda because of the shitty graphics (that might have been more the tv i tried to play on) and motion controls. I kept thinking how much more enjoyable the game would have been if I just pressed b to swing the sword.

In case you guys are wondering I think that my balls are feeling pretty well. I've gone from questionable to day to day. By Monday I should be a game time decision.

Motion controls did work when done well and when appropriate for the game. It's when it was misused that it sucked. I really enjoyed playing Wario Land Shake It, for example. That was a really fun game and I felt the motion control part of it worked great.

Yeah, I've got no intention of buying a Wii U either. there's not much there past the novelty gimmicky and the A+ games are few and far between.

Was supposed to be at work today at noon. Won't make it in until 4 due to the babysitter being sick. But if they think I'm staying the full 8 hours, they're out of their mind.

[quote name='munch']In case you guys are wondering I think that my balls are feeling pretty well. I've gone from questionable to day to day. By Monday I should be a game time decision.[/QUOTE]

Did you do it personally on yourself? (That can be done you know). It seems like you are having more pain/discomfort than it seems like you should?

Glad to hear your balls are doing better...you should probably be ready to start purging any day now.

And I will not be purchasing a Wii U...I need to offset the cost of a new TV I had to buy because of the Wiimote.

Is this a good enough budget box PC for super casual use? My mom needs a desktop for CNN, email, Boggle online, and I guess that's it. Could I go cheaper than this? I'm really bad at this stuff. :c

Finished off Infamous 2 (evil ending. which didnt feel all that evil). I got 90% of the shards and all but 3 of the dead drops. If I was a trophy monger I'd put in the few extra nights to do that. But I'm not. I'd rather just move on a whittle down the backlog.

Will probably start Red Dead Revolver and Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 tomorrow night. (I get off too late tonight)

Red Dead Revolver? Now, I'm not deep into everything that goes on in gaming these days but isn't that the PS2/Xbox one?

Or did you mean Red Dead Redemption? Or...is THAT the old one in the series!?

Managed to trade-in my repaired Xbox 360 to GameStop for more than twice the normal trade-in price ($45 + the $50 bonus) along with some games to grab XCOM and some other stuff.

[quote name='Maklershed']Anyone play Chivalry? The dismemberment thing looks kinda fun.[/QUOTE]

Everyone in my clam is talking about Chivalry. They say it's great.

I'm gonna pick it up as soon as it goes on sale.

I got to watch two of the best football games of the season. Both the ND gaame and 'bama were historic.

My friend whos a programmer fixed my Yoga for me.

I now have 112GB on just the C drive.

I backed up Windows on a 32GB stick, but kept the 20GB Windows file on my laptop for now. You can't do the remove everything and reinstall windows option without it there. But incase I ever run low on space, the stick is there as an emergency backup.

Really happy with this laptop now. Its fast, sleek, the touch screen is responsive and it has great battery life.

No regrets coming from a MacBook Air.

Only thing I cant figure out is how to enable a two finger tap right mouse click on the track pad. All I can do is a two finger click. Hmm...

[quote name='Admiral Ackbar']Everyone in my clam is talking about Chivalry. They say it's great.

I'm gonna pick it up as soon as it goes on sale.

I got to watch two of the best football games of the season. Both the ND gaame and 'bama were historic.[/QUOTE]

Ackbar is a woman! :whee:

Yeah the two PC games I'm curious about right now are Chivalry and Hotline Miami.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back