The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

I just got mine yesterday.... a few cracks and some weird piece dinging the back artwork...sigh. Even though I ordered it within 2 mins of going live, the autograph copies must have been gone quickly because I didn't get one :( Oh well.
It's cool and I have heard a number of tracks on the way home but it's a big mix throughout the entire collection. I wish there was an order by season because you get a lot of stuff thrown around.

But so far so good!

[quote name='ITDEFX']lookie

[IMG-L=6968]29451[/IMG-L][/QUOTE]
I see that picture and all I can think of is Bender rolling down the window to fire out of in an episode of Futurama.

To talk about random Trek...

...I have been a Star Trek fan for 20+ years

I am currently watching STIV: Voyage Home. The one thing that confuses me the most in all of Star Trek is the time travel seen? A burning humanoid? in water? etc.

I never had a mass of trekkies when I have ever watched it to ask and now I do here we have the CAG Trekkie AA meeting, so I figured I would ask your input on it?

I had to go watch it again. It's here if anyone needs a refresher:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Z4ji8HNEiQ

I think it was supposed to be a link from the personal -- how does it affect each of the characters -- to the universal -- this is about how the fate of whales and humans are linked. It's not hard to liken the whale to a ship or to compare the passage through space to passage through water. The ship is going around the sun and is all streaky with fires and flames, but it's not really the ship we care about. Especially this ship. It's the people inside and their journey. The 'flaming humanoid' is a way to change this from an everyday CGI SFX rainbow show into something more reflective.

The imagery goes from the very specific -- the bridge crew -- to the vague. There's a reason it's a generic human and not, say, Kirk or Spock. I think it's mainly meant as a moment for the viewer to put themselves in the story. "Save the whales" is hard to visualize or personalize. Here, you can be that humanoid and think about what it would mean if the whales were gone and you had to fix this problem.

The story works out in the end, but the message is not "Keep doing what you're doing and hope that some time travelers in the future fix all our fuckups." The imagery in this scene strengthens the message they want to send without speechifying or out-and-out moralizing.

Is anyone else up for an Okuda error? I just got this and the first place I pick in the virtual tour was engineering. not 10 seconds in I see this(FULL size image):

SjubbMB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='6er']Is anyone else up for an Okuda error? I just got this and the first place I pick in the virtual tour was engineering. not 10 seconds in I see this(FULL size image):

SjubbMB.jpg
[/QUOTE]

DOH!!!

oh yeah..the mouse, car, pod from 2001 and ducky!

This should show up in the HD close up later on in the series, unless they remove it. :|

[quote name='6er']Is anyone else up for an Okuda error? I just got this and the first place I pick in the virtual tour was engineering. not 10 seconds in I see this(FULL size image):

[/QUOTE]

oh yeah... is this one of those quick time VR cd's??!?!?! You would think by now they would do a DVD or even a BR interactive disc.......come on it's 2013 not 1998!!!

btw..does this book like the Enterprise D tech manual but like a lite version?

It's actually flash. a 103 MB's total on the disc, instructions are to copy the files from the CD and put them on yourdesktop, then the page opens in your web browser. Not as cool as I has hoped, I was thinking Elite Force type tour of Voyager, where you just walk around and check everything out. Nope, its about as interactive as a chevy.com 360 interior shot.

And the book is pretty thin. It almost comes across as a kids guide, has pictures and CG mockup as parts of the interior and character quarters with little tibits of info anyone in this thread would already know. Glad I only paid $12 for it....($10 sounds perfect). But the fold out of the D is the best part. But no better than a really nice poster

Last edited by a moderator:
So I have been watching a lot of DS9. I noticed this back during it's original run. Has anyone noticed that O'Brien probably gets hurt more than anyone else on the station? He gets infected with some bio weapon, cloned, had a 20 year prison sentence implanted in his head, hurt by the Jem'hadar, experience time displacement, loses his daughter to some time portal, has his wife taken over by a Paraeth and so on? I really wonder if the writers enjoyed making him suffer?

Also I really wonder what would have happened if it was Kira who died instead of Dax and how it would have affected Odo?

Does anyone think that with the severe damage (not total destruction) of the Enterprise that we will see a more closer to the original movies (prime time line) refit in the next star trek movie?

[quote name='Tony Stark']i think we will see the JJ Abrams Reboot Enterprise-A as the last scene of Into Darkness (Search for Spock style)[/QUOTE]

Crew without a ship? I really want to know how the Klingon's are involved in the main story. I wonder if this villain guy is what pisses off the Klingon's into bringing the federation and klingons into a cold war status? hmmm....... I don't think that was ever mentioned in TOS why the Klingon's and Feds hated each other right?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Crew without a ship? I really want to know how the Klingon's are involved in the main story. I wonder if this villain guy is what pisses off the Klingon's into bringing the federation and klingons into a cold war status? hmmm....... I don't think that was ever mentioned in TOS why the Klingon's and Feds hated each other right?[/QUOTE]

Abrams will go past the A.....I wouldn't be surprised If STID ended with a Galaxy Class rip off, just so they can.make sure they drag in all the TNG fans. Third movie will have a cardassian space station.As much as I like his TV shows , he is best at spinning other ideas, he isnt exactly that original.

Fringe and Alias could have been X files spin offs....Undercovers was a mix of Mission Impossible:married couple edition and Alias, Revolution is your standard Sci Fi apocalypse show.

Bryan.Signer is supposedly on good terms with Bad Robot and is Friends with JJ and is claimed to be a life long Trekkie. I think he could be the real saviour of the franchise if he takes the third movie and steers it back toward its roots.

I'm not saying TNG Drumhead, which was all cerebral, but a mix of old and new, like DS9 where Sikso hires Garrack to get the Romulans in the war. Action, drama, and thought provoking themes.

[quote name='6er']
Bryan.Signer is supposedly on good terms with Bad Robot and is Friends with JJ and is claimed to be a life long Trekkie. I think he could be the real saviour of the franchise if he takes the third movie and steers it back toward its roots.[/QUOTE]

Why does the new series need to go back to its roots? Why does it need a Savior? I'm a huge fan of the original series and I think the new series is fine, in fact is just what the series needs. Sadly I think that with the state that sci fi is currently in we need to look for new ways to bring new fans and or we won't have good sci fi anymore.

Sorry if I seem hostile, I just think that reboots need to be their own thing because I've seen the past and I don't need to see it again. In fact I almost hope that we don't see Kahn in any of the movies.

So the latest entertainment weekly mag has some pictures from the movie... People think that the torpedo in the shot is a Genesis Device and it was made to create a new planet for the Vulcans. hmm....

[quote name='ananag112']i have been watching the remastered tng season 1 episodes on hulu. I cannot believe that it looks so good.[/quote]

are you fucking kidding me?!?!?!?!?!

[quote name='ITDEFX']are you fucking kidding me?!?!?!?!?![/QUOTE]

Yup, seasons 1 & 2 on Hulu are from the Blu-Ray remasters. Makes the other seasons look like a bad VHS copy.

Is anyone getting Enterprise Season 1 on Blu? The reviews say it's so so.... Don't know if I want to shell out more money for that show. It was good, but not great.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Is anyone getting Enterprise Season 1 on Blu? The reviews say it's so so.... Don't know if I want to shell out more money for that show. It was good, but not great.[/QUOTE]

I was originally an Enterprise nay-sayer, and its third and fourth seasons really changed my mind about the show.

However, I can't see much reason to own the first two seasons. They are almost completely disposable. You couldn't pay me to watch most of the first season again.

The extras intrigue me, more than the show itself. It's also something I find refreshing. Perhaps there's hope for the next Trek series after all, if they are finally willing to admit that yes, there were some pretty severe problems.

Knowing that the remastered TNG is on Hulu says to me that there's really no reason to bother with this set unless you want the extras. You could watch the handful of good and/or necessary episodes there.

[quote name='Darkside Hazuki']Yup, seasons 1 & 2 on Hulu are from the Blu-Ray remasters. Makes the other seasons look like a bad VHS copy.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that was faster than I expected. And I expected it on netflix first.

[quote name='6er']Wow, that was faster than I expected. And I expected it on netflix first.[/QUOTE]

Do the Hulu broadcasts stream in 1080p? I don't recall regular Hulu offering HD content (maybe that's reserved for Hulu Plus?) but even at standard def the remastered episodes are very crisp. I really hope Netflix gets a hold of them next.

You would think it'd be in CBS' best interest to license out the HD transfers to Netflix. I assume Netflix would pay for it, and plus it might get even more people jazzed up for the future HD releases on Blu Ray. This is one of the first times where I want a corporation to squeeze every dollar out of an initiative that it can-- I really want the HD DS9 transfer.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']You would think it'd be in CBS' best interest to license out the HD transfers to Netflix. I assume Netflix would pay for it, and plus it might get even more people jazzed up for the future HD releases on Blu Ray. This is one of the first times where I want a corporation to squeeze every dollar out of an initiative that it can-- I really want the HD DS9 transfer.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that is.probably the most iffy. Voyager was ALL CGI....although I don't know.if that would would actually make it easier. Easy to upscale FX?

[quote name='6er']Yeah that is.probably the most iffy. Voyager was ALL CGI....although I don't know.if that would would actually make it easier. Easy to upscale FX?[/QUOTE]

Voyager was not all CGI?...

...the ship definitely was not, the only thing on the ship that is CGI is the landing arms.

Though there are parts of the series that were CGI like Species 8472.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']You would think it'd be in CBS' best interest to license out the HD transfers to Netflix. I assume Netflix would pay for it, and plus it might get even more people jazzed up for the future HD releases on Blu Ray. This is one of the first times where I want a corporation to squeeze every dollar out of an initiative that it can-- I really want the HD DS9 transfer.[/QUOTE]

That's what I have been bitching about since the initial release of TNG HD.

I am not a big fan of Hulu Plus because of the stupid ads even if you pay for the service.

[quote name='Tony Stark']Voyager was not all CGI?...

...the ship definitely was not, the only thing on the ship that is CGI is the landing arms.

Though there are parts of the series that were CGI like Species 8472.

[/QUOTE]

I could have sworn Voyager was CG... if that is the case I am pretty sure it was rendered at 720x480 . If that is the case, 480 is not going to upscale well to 1080p. That means they are going to have painstakingly recreate everything from scratch.

I think I remember reading that they switched to CGI for a lot of elements of the ships, but they also used models? I dunno, but I think there's a fair mixture of CGI in with the live action elements.

It would be interesting to see how they would handle that-- DS9 is definitely going to have that hurdle too.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I think I remember reading that they switched to CGI for a lot of elements of the ships, but they also used models? I dunno, but I think there's a fair mixture of CGI in with the live action elements.

It would be interesting to see how they would handle that-- DS9 is definitely going to have that hurdle too.[/QUOTE]

In one of the special features of a Voyager season they show that voyager is a full scale model and they tried to do the landing arms legit as well, but could not so they CGI'd them...

...i believe the only ship that is CGI is Enterprise-E in Nemesis (and Star Trek 2009 of course)

My bad, I had some facts half.right. I was thinking of the opening sequence:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0112178/trivia

".... the last few seasons that a computer generated (CGI) starship replaced the 6-foot model. Nevertheless, the "USS Voyager" seen in the opening credits (which date back to late-1994), is totally CGI"

[quote name='Tony Stark']In one of the special features of a Voyager season they show that voyager is a full scale model and they tried to do the landing arms legit as well, but could not so they CGI'd them...

...i believe the only ship that is CGI is Enterprise-E in Nemesis (and Star Trek 2009 of course)[/QUOTE]

[quote name='6er']My bad, I had some facts half.right. I was thinking of the opening sequence:

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt0112178/trivia

".... the last few seasons that a computer generated (CGI) starship replaced the 6-foot model. Nevertheless, the "USS Voyager" seen in the opening credits (which date back to late-1994), is totally CGI"[/QUOTE]

I think I read somewhere that Enterprise-E was CG in the battle with the borg in First Contact, then again in Insurrection and Nemesis.

I don't recall ever seeing a picture of a model for Voyager. Was it sold during that big auction a few years ago?

I know DS9 was a full model along with the Defiant...but I know they CG'ed it in later seasons. So yeah I see some problems recreating all the elements from scratch.

To this day the Wormhole effect in DS9 was pretty impressive...how the hell did they do that?

Oh, season 3 TNG review is out!

http://trekcore.com/blog/2013/04/review-star-trek-the-next-generation-season-3-blu-ray/
review19.jpg

review11.jpg

review3.jpg

[quote name='Clak']I wish netflix would upgrade their streaming version to the HD versions.[/QUOTE]

Like the other cag said it's on Hulu Plus :(

Season 3 looks absolutely stunning. I messaged the CAG who posted the video games part of the sales ad for that week at Target. He tells me they will have season 3 for 59.99. I figure Best Buy is gonna follow suit, and then they're doing the upgrade 'n' save-- trade in a crappy DVD, and get a 5.00 Blu Ray coupon. Probably will be the best bet unless you have a preference to Amazon (Especially if your in a tax free state and you have a giant pile of credit)

So, I'm happy that this'll be around 60 after tax-- I'm fine with that with the stunning work they've done on season 3.

Trekcore even posted a comparison of the probe shot, used in both season 2 and season 3. Suffice to say, it's one example in a giant mess of examples that show HTV sucks in almost every way imaginable. I really hope they are gathering a good second string team for season 4-- I don't want a repeat of season two's mistakes.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Season 3 looks absolutely stunning. I messaged the CAG who posted the video games part of the sales ad for that week at Target. He tells me they will have season 3 for 59.99. I figure Best Buy is gonna follow suit, and then they're doing the upgrade 'n' save-- trade in a crappy DVD, and get a 5.00 Blu Ray coupon. Probably will be the best bet unless you have a preference to Amazon (Especially if your in a tax free state and you have a giant pile of credit)

So, I'm happy that this'll be around 60 after tax-- I'm fine with that with the stunning work they've done on season 3.

Trekcore even posted a comparison of the probe shot, used in both season 2 and season 3. Suffice to say, it's one example in a giant mess of examples that show HTV sucks in almost every way imaginable. I really hope they are gathering a good second string team for season 4-- I don't want a repeat of season two's mistakes.[/QUOTE]

Good deal! I am really glad paramount isn't charging 100 dollars per season like they did with the DVD release.

Oh before I forget..you trek nerds get ready for The Best of Both Worlds event this Thursday night! I got my tickets months ago and have been waiting ever since. I am expecting a lot of cheering when that cube goes BOOM!

I am pumped up for this Thursday! I can't wait. I am contemplating gasping audibly when Riker gives the order to fire on the cube at the end of part 1, but I also don't want to be an ass.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']I am pumped up for this Thursday! I can't wait. I am contemplating gasping audibly when Riker gives the order to fire on the cube at the end of part 1, but I also don't want to be an ass.[/QUOTE]

I am wondering if there will be a break between part 1 and 2?

Yeah, I'm curious about that. I seem to remember reading something about how the cut on the BoBW Blu Ray is edited somehow to flow as one presentation, but I'm not sure where I saw that

For anyone interested, I have played the first few chapters of the new game (playing on PC). The graphics are pretty good, but nothing great. (sadly only 3 options: V-sync, and level of shadows, and textures) I am played maxed with a GTX660Ti in 1080p and have not anywhere near a hint of trouble. I suspect a 460 or 560 could max this game without ANY issue.

Gameplay is very smooth and fluid, and the overall level design in very cinematic. There will be several times you just want to look around, even though the graphics aren't as good as say, Battlefield 3, its still colorful and vivid and looks nice. Everyone expect Kirk(? I know, right?) character models are very accurate.

Enterpirse bridge looks pretty good, but a few of the bridge console screens have little detail. I think making those crystal clear would have really added some authenticity to the atmosphere.

The writing and voice acting is great, They make great use of the original cast and writers, and the Spock/Kirk is quite humorous at times.

I'm playing on easy on my first run just to enjoy it, and that may be the problem, but the AI is stupid. enemies just act at like mindless animals that dont realize you can kill them, and oddly, even when in "cover" they stick out since the gorn are so big.

The space battles are decent. They aren't bad, but doesn't add to the game IMO.

The Spock/Kirk interactions and jokes and the solid (but unrevolutionary) gameplay are what sell me on it. Spock's witty remarks to Kirks exploits are pure Trek. Expect a fun romp in the world of Trek, but don't expect a revolutionary game.

I have NOT played in co op yet but I suspect that will help with some friendly AI issues(its not BAD, but its not particularly good either, they don't help you too much, but don't get in your way or slow you down either)

In single player, at least the game is very manageable without another human. it's possible they dumb the enemy ai down to help with this, which would explain the enemy AI.

One odd thing to me is the cinematic sequences. One near the game start is kinda pixelated, while one in chapter 3 looks really good, they are just CGI video sequences

Overall, I am pleased with my purchase($37.50).

Attn: Trekkies (and I say that with the utmost respect) - all of the original feature films and the 2010 Star Trek movie will be $4.99 on Blu after upgrade & save starting this Sunday.

bread's done
Back