The State of Software BC

catapult37

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
I'm finally thinking about buying a PS3 (yay) and I'm trying to decide whether to sell the ps2 to put $ toward it. The backward compatibility list looks better to me than when it first came out, and a good many issues say "resolved as of firmware X". Still, some of my favorite games (God of War 1, for instance) still have issues. What impression do you guys have of how much Sony is still updating and supporting both PS1 and PS2 compatibility?

First off, let me tell you that the BC isn't completely software in the 80GB. Only the EE is emulated (but still uses the GS (Graphics Synthesizer) and other PS2 components.

Anyway, most games will have tiny issues regardless of SKU, so I personally wouldn't worry. Those I know of with an 80GB (and several PS2 games) say most every game they own plays fine, with maybe 2-3 with issues and one that doesn't work at all. Yes Sony updates it with every firmware, but I can warn you that while they may make improvements, some games may have new issues (not just with the 80GB, it happens with the 20GB and 60GB too). I just don't recommend getting a 60GB (people may say it has the best PS2 BC, but out of all the SKUs I've seen fail, it is by FAR the highest).

PS1 games are 100% software emulated and work similar to how they would on PS2 (the only thing is there's a tiny bit of input lag with the bluetooth controllers, because the timing in a game like Hot Shots Golf or any music game is a little off).

Trade in your PS2 only for a new 80gb model... anything other than that I'd say keep your PS2. Actually you should keep your PS2 regardless of what model you pick, just as a backup. Just in case there is that 'one' game you can't play via the PS3 (unless you get the 60gb model)

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']You should take Sony's official BC list with a grain of salt. Not every game will work as well as they say.[/QUOTE]Yeah, because Sonic Mega Collection Plus (on my 20GB) has slowdown and has sound clipping on Genesis Sonic games, and Yakuza is quite jaggy/pixelated/distorted.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yeah, because Sonic Mega Collection Plus (on my 20GB) has slowdown and has sound clipping on Genesis Sonic games, and Yakuza is quite jaggy/pixelated/distorted.[/quote]

I thought Yakuza just look like crap because I was playing on a Hidef T.V. Hopefully Yakuza 2 won't have this problem/

[quote name='blueweltall']I thought Yakuza just look like crap because I was playing on a Hidef T.V. Hopefully Yakuza 2 won't have this problem/[/QUOTE]It looked like crap on an SDTV too. It looked like how all PS1/PS2 games looked like before update 1.5 (really pixelated and distorted).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Yeah, because Sonic Mega Collection Plus (on my 20GB) has slowdown and has sound clipping on Genesis Sonic games[/QUOTE]

You're kidding. I was going to get this and play it on my 60gigger. :bomb:

[quote name='Chuplayer']You're kidding. I was going to get this and play it on my 60gigger. :bomb:[/QUOTE]I haven't played it in a year, so maybe it was fixed, but it had issues when I last played. I'll take a look. I just remember before when I removed upscaling, it still had issues.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']It looked like crap on an SDTV too. It looked like how all PS1/PS2 games looked like before update 1.5 (really pixelated and distorted).[/quote]

I just picked up Yakuza (who knows when I'll get to it) but hopefully it looks better than the ps2 games in the e3 press conference/ps2 sizzle video did. I could have sworn they looked more ps1 quality than 2. Might just be how the un-upconverted video looks, but I phsyically wince everytime I see the yakuza 2, madden 09, ect.. clips.

[quote name='QiG']I just picked up Yakuza (who knows when I'll get to it) but hopefully it looks better than the ps2 games in the e3 press conference/ps2 sizzle video did. I could have sworn they looked more ps1 quality than 2. Might just be how the un-upconverted video looks, but I phsyically wince everytime I see the yakuza 2, madden 09, ect.. clips.[/QUOTE]That's about how it looked for me on my PS3, even on an SDTV. I remember it looking not as bad on my PS2. I traded the game away so I can't test.

I did not have a PS2 before buying the PS3. I currently have more PS2 games and have not had any problems with BC. Before I buy a game, I check to see if it is BC, and so far no problems.

Backwards compatibility isn't a primary issue to me, as I still own a working PS2, and won't sell it when I buy a PS3.

I'd like to add Chrono Cross to the list of games that don't work, even on my 60GB. I got about 12 hours into the game and it just freezes on me during a battle, making it unplayable.

My Final Fantasy Origins still doesn't work. They need to fix PS1 BC as well!
CRAP, I have this game and was hoping to start playing it. Thanks for the heads up.

Mannnn I wish SONY had developed a feature that let you install PS1 & 2 games directly to the hard drive. Piracy be damned.

If they ever get around to releasing that PS2 with the PSU inside of it, then I'll buy that and a ceramic 40 gig. Otherwise I'm just going to wait another year and buy a 40 gig.

[quote name='Chuplayer']You're kidding. I was going to get this and play it on my 60gigger. :bomb:[/QUOTE]I tested the game out and it didn't seem to have the problems it had last year.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I tested the game out and it didn't seem to have the problems it had last year.[/QUOTE]

Thank goodness :bouncy:

bread's done
Back