The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

I'd say it's a combo of both the processor and GPU. Source is heavily CPU dependent. So, taking a low-clocked dual core and combining it with a not-so-hot GPU is going to produce mediocre results.

I use an Intel Dual Core clocked @ 2GHz with a 260M GTX and game runs very smooth on my laptop. I could also overclock this easily to 2.4 or 2.5-ish, which I usually only do if playing Crysis or Bad Company 2.

I doubt anyone is interested, but JR.com's deal for Star Trek DAC just got a lot better. It now has free shipping. So, you can get 2 copies, for $7 shipped.

Swords and Soldiers looks pretty neat, but I've never heard of it before. At first glance it looked like a side-scroller beat 'em up like Castle Crashers, but then I notice the bar at the bottom with all sorts of icons. Hmmmmmmm........A-ha! It's a tower defense game!

Yea when I started playing the K&L demo I thought my GPU was taking a shit haha.

Then I turned off the effects and it looked much better.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Swords and Soldiers looks pretty neat, but I've never heard of it before. At first glance it looked like a side-scroller beat 'em up like Castle Crashers, but then I notice the bar at the bottom with all sorts of icons. Hmmmmmmm........A-ha! It's a tower defense game![/QUOTE]

It's not a tower defense game like Defense Grid (though I wish it were). It's sort of a reverse tower defense game, where you create offensive units and, as soon as they're created, they start marching toward the baddies.

I really don't like the game. It would have been nice if the Wii had demos as I would have saved myself the points.

The store page for Worms Reloaded is FINALLY up. It has screens, a trailer, and tons of info. About time, as until today, there had been no screens or video of the game publicly released. It looks all-around fantastic, which is good, because it's been a long time coming; there hasn't been a new 2D Worms game on PC for a decade.

Looks to have tons of modes and heaps of content. Has an in-game map editor, and you can still import your own externally-created images to use as battlefields. Fully Steamworks-integrated, as previously reported. Game launches August 26th. There should be a preorder option at some point between now and then, with some sort of preorder bonus, if I'm not mistaken. I hear rumblings about a discounted 4-pack, as well.

I hope the next month goes by quickly, because I can't wait for this.

I'm disappointed about Worms' lack of Steam Cloud support. Still, I'll buy it for myself and GF right away if the price ends up being $10. If it's $15, I'll wait for a sale.

I've been enjoying the recent Worms 2 XBLA's DLC quite a bit.

I gotta wait for a sale too.

Also, any thoughts on the new Guild 2 expansion? Also waiting for a sale, obv... :) I'm sure they'll have prices on both come holiday, probably even a daily on Worms.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Yikes, $18 pre-order price and $20 normally? Wasn't expecting it to be that much. I'll wait for a sale.[/QUOTE]

This. Seems way to much for the game. If it were $10 or even maybe $15, I probably would've pre-ordered.

This is also mostly the same game since Worms 2. Hats are an important addition admittedly but I'm sure as hell going to wait for a sale.

Steam is offering a Worms Reloaded 4-pack for $60, making the game $15 per person. Not a super deal, but reasonable for the ultimate Worms experience. All four people get the preorder bonus (if preordering, duh) too.

Would anyone like to go in on a 4-pack? Just created a group buy thread.

Also, here's the Steam thread requesting Steam Cloud support. The devs are aware of it, so there is hope that the feature will be added. Please sign! http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1384178

Last edited by a moderator:
Is steam down right now? I can login to steampowered.com but my steam client says it can't find the server today. No problems yesterday and there have been no changes to my computer at all.

I can't get on from my laptop or desktop using the client but I can logon to steampowered.com. This is really irritating me as I have the weeekend off and can't do anything now. Can't even get into offline mode.

I have a friend that for some reason she cant download the steam portal/client. The d/l process just sits there at 0%. any ideas? She is using windows 7 and gave it full access and permission etc and clicked ok when it asked to make changes.

Beat Hazard just got a small update:

- Added Windows File Browser option to music select screen
- Added Network Drive support via the Windows File Browser

So selecting songs and albums should be a lot easier now.

[quote name='lllGurulll']nope. made no difference. Still won't allow me to logon.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Spyder187']I have a friend that for some reason she cant download the steam portal/client. The d/l process just sits there at 0%. any ideas? She is using windows 7 and gave it full access and permission etc and clicked ok when it asked to make changes.[/QUOTE]

Spyder, try deleting clientregistry.blob. Both of you, try backing up your downloaded files and reinstalling.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Spyder, try deleting clientregistry.blob. Both of you, try backing up your downloaded files and reinstalling.[/QUOTE]
I can't get in to even back itup. It won't let me go into offline mode.

[quote name='lllGurulll']I can't get in to even back itup. It won't let me go into offline mode.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure copy/pasting steamapps will do the trick :lol:

Didn't work. Now when I try to start Steam for the first time I get this error...

Steam.exe(main exception): To run Steam, you must first connect to the Internet.

Well, I am connected fully. Hell my laptop, desktop, PS3, XBOX360, WII and Ipod Touch can all connect without any issue at all.

I've even opened up every port Steam suggests to no avail.

Everything worked fine last night.

what do people think of alien breed since having alien swarm? i wanted AB but I feel like AS may fill that game type for me.

Alien Breed has a lengthy single-player experience with voiced cut scenes. The co-op is short and not that great. Its controls are also more controller-oriented. Worth a buy for some.

I enjoyed the co-op in Alien Breed. It's short, but still fun. The SP portion is pretty good too. I'd say it's a good pickup.

[quote name='paz9x']what do people think of alien breed since having alien swarm? i wanted AB but I feel like AS may fill that game type for me.[/QUOTE]

Alien Breed is still a good game, regardless of how incredible Alien Swarm is.

It's like Unreal Tournament and Battlefield Bad Company 2. On a basic level, these two games would appear to be fairly similar (they're both FPSes, right?), but they're actually totally different. They don't really fill the same gap, as it were. Same goes for AB and AS. AS is, in my opinion, the better game (just like how I like UT better than Battlefield, but still love Battlefield), and being free is hard to argue with, but AB still stands on it's own as a great game, especially if you can get it for less than $6.

If anyone is interested in Alien Breed 2-Pack and Worms 4-Pack. I''ll host each one. I'll make a post on the Worms thread...not sure about Alien Breed since I need one other person.

[quote name='Mike UFC']Saw that Borderlands now has Steam Achievements. Looks like you'll have to play through it again to get them though.[/QUOTE]

where did you see this? I just looked at the game on the steam store and there is no mention of it there.

edit. I looked at the game page in my library and now it does show achievement pics... maybe i will have to start playing it on pc now. My nly question is how exactly do i get a multiplayer game going with steam friends?

[quote name='Mike UFC']Saw that Borderlands now has Steam Achievements. Looks like you'll have to play through it again to get them though.[/QUOTE]

Woot! That's awesome. A little bit late though, don't you think Gearbox? And how can the Steam version be getting achievements when Randy Pitchford spoke out against Steam not too long ago?

Cool! Dang, time to start over.

Holy shit. Never mind about playing through again. Had a bunch unlock when I fired up my character. I guess I need to revisit some of the areas such as Krom's Canyon to unlock those though.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']And how can the Steam version be getting achievements when Randy Pitchford spoke out against Steam not too long ago?[/QUOTE]

Because his stupid little personal quibbles and proclivities don't necessarily strictly define company policy, or override every single company decision, I'd imagine.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Because his stupid little personal quibbles and proclivities don't necessarily strictly define company policy, or override every single company decision, I'd imagine.[/QUOTE]

Ha, yeah that makes sense. Thankfully he's shut up about it since then though.

[quote name='vlv723']If anyone is interested in Alien Breed 2-Pack and Worms 4-Pack. I''ll host each one. I'll make a post on the Worms thread...not sure about Alien Breed since I need one other person.[/QUOTE]

Interested in the two pack for Alien Breed, either with you or anyone else who wants to get in on this tonight.

Two nice packs released tonight:

Cyan "Complete" Pack $19.99 [realMyst, Riven, Uru Complete, The Manhole: Masterpiece Edition, Cosmic Osmo & The Worlds Beyond the Mackerel, Spelunx & the Caves of Mr. Seudo] (Steam doesn't yet offer Myst 1,3,4,5)
I prefer my oldies to come from GOG, but Osmo & Spelunx are exclusive to Steam/Gametap for the moment.

Bethesda Pack $69.99
[Fallout 3 GOTY, Morrowind GOTY, Oblivion GOTY Deluxe] (No Chtulhu or Rogue Warrior)

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back