The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

This thread is still active, so there's little revitalizing that needs to be done. But you did create those Topics of the Day or week or whatever that seems to focus conversations for a bit.

Did Capcom give its games price cuts? Not that they're great prices, just they seem far less ridiculous than they used to be.

[quote name='kilm']This thread is still active, so there's little revitalizing that needs to be done. But you did create those Topics of the Day or week or whatever that seems to focus conversations for a bit.

Did Capcom give its games price cuts? Not that they're great prices, just they seem far less ridiculous than they used to be.[/QUOTE]

I was about to post the same more or less--

bummed I missed out on the Borderlands deal--for the price of just *one* of the DLC's for the retail edition, you'd get borderlands + all 3 dlc's....I already own all of them, except mad moxie, but steam keeping it patched is such a convenience, that you don't realize just how helpful it is until you have to run multiple patches yourself :/

Hoard looks fun, I'll keep an eye out for it,

Being that I've been just hooked on League of Legends (free to play DotA clone) recently, really excited to see how Dungeon Defenders turns out..apparently it'll be out on steam soon.

[quote name='sniping_dreamer']Anybody else got Plain Sight from the Week deal and enjoying the crap out of it?

It's so...different from so many other multiplayer games. It's not much as how you can aim (as it is auto-lock on), but your timing and movement skills. [/QUOTE]

So pleasantly surprised, would love to see a game mode based on the movement mechanics, I love just floating around exploiting the physics.

Okay, team. The OP has been completely overhauled. I'm trying to make it as useful as possible. Feedback would be great.

Also, like VGMnk, I am excited about Dungeon Defenders, which comes out in November. Looks like a great game so far.

[quote name='eastx']Okay, team. The OP has been completely overhauled. I'm trying to make it as useful as possible. Feedback would be great.

Also, like VGMnk, I am excited about Dungeon Defenders, which comes out in November. Looks like a great game so far.[/QUOTE]

Compile the list of deals is really helpfulness. Any time a new deal comes up post it and get rid of it when it expires. Listing price drops is also useful since its info that's hard to find. New games to steam is again helpful. I would be most interested though in anything that gets conversation going and staying ;)

I'm setting up a Worms Reloaded 4-Pack. Two spots available. Please PM me asap if anyone is interested! Thanks. Price for the single purchase just went back up to $19.99.

Mafia 1 on Steam has been delayed. A rep at the 2K forum said there is a problem or something getting it activated, who knows, just that it was supposed to be released day and date with Mafia 2 but now it's not.

Looking for a solid Co-op partner for Dawn of War II & Chaos Rising. I am located in central time and would like to arrange gaming sessions ahead of time because it seems like the campaign might take some time.

How long did anyone else find it took them to complete a DoWII coop campaign?

I've never finished the DoW2 campaign, but I'd be down for occasional play. Not exactly what you're looking for, but feel free to invite me.

Do you think a CAG Dawn of War 2 Steam group would have a fair number of participants?

I set up a Worms Reloaded discussion thread... Hoping to get people to share their custom maps there. In the meantime, checkout the CAG map!

CheapAssGamerfullpicture.png

[quote name='ChernobylCow']Looking for a solid Co-op partner for Dawn of War II & Chaos Rising. I am located in central time and would like to arrange gaming sessions ahead of time because it seems like the campaign might take some time.

How long did anyone else find it took them to complete a DoWII coop campaign?[/QUOTE]

im on arizona time but depending on when you want to play i might be up for it. i dont have too much time into the campaign.

Hey I've got a newly discovered Steam problem and was hoping someone in here might be able to help. I just recently tried playing TF2 and CS:S again but had no luck, now to explain... I haven't played TF2 in months, since before the Soldier and Demoman updates came out, for CS:S it's been even longer. Anyways so tonight I wanted to play some TF2 but when I went to load up the server list I got almost nothing to show up a.k.a VERY few servers. So I quit out checked some Internet stuff, Steam settings, turned off my anti-virus protection ect and still no luck. However the first time I boot up the game and search for servers it will find a good amount of them but when I then click on a server to join it a message pops up saying "can't find server response" or some shit like that. I find it weird that this is only happening with Valve MP games on Steam for me. I've been playing a lot of Bad Company 2 lately just fine thru Steam. I'm beginning to wonder if it could be a VAC issue maybe? Anyways any help or ideas would be appreciated.

[quote name='cgarb84']Hey I've got a newly discovered Steam problem and was hoping someone in here might be able to help. I just recently tried playing TF2 and CS:S again but had no luck, now to explain... I haven't played TF2 in months, since before the Soldier and Demoman updates came out, for CS:S it's been even longer. Anyways so tonight I wanted to play some TF2 but when I went to load up the server list I got almost nothing to show up a.k.a VERY few servers. So I quit out checked some Internet stuff, Steam settings, turned off my anti-virus protection ect and still no luck. However the first time I boot up the game and search for servers it will find a good amount of them but when I then click on a server to join it a message pops up saying "can't find server response" or some shit like that. I find it weird that this is only happening with Valve MP games on Steam for me. I've been playing a lot of Bad Company 2 lately just fine thru Steam. I'm beginning to wonder if it could be a VAC issue maybe? Anyways any help or ideas would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

hmm...there is a checkbox for advanced server search (or something like that, I can't recall the actual text) did you check that to get the more detailed search? I know the default search is pretty limited so I'd make sure that's checked (although from the sounds of it, you probably already did check that).

I know sometimes when I search for certain terms, and certain combos, such as say, ultra fast ping, west coast, etc. there are a low # of servers available....If that's not the issue, have you tried verifying the game cache and/or reinstalling tf2 and/or verifying steam files? Maybe some kind of bizarre firewall issues, don't suppose you have a software firewall turned on? (I know that I had issues with L4D2, and had to turn off mine). Maybe router has firewall settings mucking with it? (might want to enable DMZ for you computer for a bit just to see if that clears it up)...

Just some ideas off the top of my head, and I hope you find out what the problem is.

Why so quiet, everybody?

Here's a unique game coming to Steam...

[youtube]Q790QEDbVYY[/youtube]
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Comes out on September 10 for $20, but you can preorder it for $17.99. You don't see a lot of J-RPGs on Steam, and this one looks light and fun.

There's a demo here.

What a bummer. Everyone and their brother is running a sale except Steam, although the CoH Weekend Deal is a good one. Great games.

[quote name='Mike UFC']What a bummer. Everyone and their brother is running a sale except Steam, although the CoH Weekend Deal is a good one. Great games.[/QUOTE]

To be fair, Steam did have their Summer Sale which no one else bothered to do during the same period.

[quote name='kilm']To be fair, Steam did have their Summer Sale which no one else bothered to do during the same period.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's true. I've been way too spoiled by Steam and their sales.

[youtube]BtVjMftmZRQ[/youtube]

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut is now available on Steam for $9.99. It's a classic adventure game, redone with new content and art by Watchmen artist Dave Gibbons. The DC was previously available on Wii and iPhone.

500x_pokernight.jpg

Poker Night at the Inventory is an unusual upcoming game. It's a poker game starring Telltale characters Strong Bad, Max, and Tycho Brahe, as well as the Heavy from Team Fortress 2. So far it's listed as single-player, but hopefully it ends up offering multiplayer too. Preorder for less than $5.

http://kotaku.com/5629057/team-fortress-2s-heavy-finally-playable-in-a-poker-game

Last edited by a moderator:
Got Worms gifted to me today, been playing 1v1v1v1 with some friends for the past two hours. So much fun. I cant say I would've ever spent $20 on this though.

Glad you got it, Seh! Please join the CAG Worms group and hit up the discussion thread to share in the custom map love. :)

[quote name='eastx'][youtube]BtVjMftmZRQ[/youtube]

Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars Director's Cut is now available on Steam for $9.99. It's a classic adventure game, redone with new content and art by Watchmen artist Dave Gibbons. The DC was previously available on Wii and iPhone.

[/QUOTE]

I played that game on my Palm Treo. Not a bad game, and while the production quality (animation, sound, ec) was pretty good on the PalmOS (all things considered) it is definitely better on the PC version based on the promo clip.

I'm actually glad Steam doesn't have any great sales right now. My backlog is huge and there's something very wrong when I look at all the great coupons ($130 worth) in the @gamer mag I got for free only to realize that I already own nearly all of those games and haven't played any of them yet.

And I have a bunch of Steam games waiting for me to play. At least by having them on Steam I don't have to worry about misplacing the game and I just discovered that I can categorize my Steam games so that it is easy to separate those I've completed from those I have yet to play.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']I'm actually glad Steam doesn't have any great sales right now. My backlog is huge and there's something very wrong when I look at all the great coupons ($130 worth) in the @gamer mag I got for free only to realize that I already own nearly all of those games and haven't played any of them yet.

And I have a bunch of Steam games waiting for me to play. At least by having them on Steam I don't have to worry about misplacing the game and I just discovered that I can categorize my Steam games so that it is easy to separate those I've completed from those I have yet to play.[/QUOTE]

I have the same problem, especially finding myself addicted to multiplayer games (still play tf2 a lot) that really aren't the kind of game you "beat" and then move on.

[quote name='VGmnk']I have the same problem, especially finding myself addicted to multiplayer games (still play tf2 a lot) that really aren't the kind of game you "beat" and then move on.[/QUOTE]

^This x1000

Sometimes makes me want to sell off my collection...

...and then I don't.

Has anybody had any problems retrieving saved games from the Steam Cloud? Steam on my mac doesn't seem to want to download my saved game for PvZ. Is there a way to force download it or is it just an automatic process?

Also, here's something I've been thinking about (it's kind of morbid and applies to other things besides Steam):

Say the unthinkable happens and I die from whatever. What happens to my Steam account and all my other numerous accounts across the web? Do they just sit there forever or is there some way to transfer ownership of the account to somebody else? Or is it maybe just a good idea to have a list of accounts and their corresponding passwords somewhere that one person you know and trust knows about?

I took a quick glance in the support section and didn't see anything, so maybe somebody here knows?

[quote name='eastx']Why so quiet, everybody?

Here's a unique game coming to Steam...

[youtube]Q790QEDbVYY[/youtube]
Recettear: An Item Shop's Tale

Comes out on September 10 for $20, but you can preorder it for $17.99. You don't see a lot of J-RPGs on Steam, and this one looks light and fun.

There's a demo here.[/QUOTE]

Gamerswithjobs was talking about this on their podcast. They said that you play a shop keeper who has to hire adventurers to go into a dungeon and find stuff for you to sell in your shop. Whenever you hire someone you then take control of him for the dungeon crawl segment which is closer to most RPGs. Upon returning from the dungeon you are faced with a few choices, do you sell/give the explorer some of the items to make future dungeon crawls easy...or sell them yourself, and do you sell high or lower prices to attract more customers? Seems like a really interesting mix of JRPG and shop manager.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Has anybody had any problems retrieving saved games from the Steam Cloud? Steam on my mac doesn't seem to want to download my saved game for PvZ. Is there a way to force download it or is it just an automatic process?

Also, here's something I've been thinking about (it's kind of morbid and applies to other things besides Steam):

Say the unthinkable happens and I die from whatever. What happens to my Steam account and all my other numerous accounts across the web? Do they just sit there forever or is there some way to transfer ownership of the account to somebody else? Or is it maybe just a good idea to have a list of accounts and their corresponding passwords somewhere that one person you know and trust knows about?

I took a quick glance in the support section and didn't see anything, so maybe somebody here knows?[/QUOTE]

If this is a legitimate concern of yours I would suggest maybe making an account and password list. Place it in a safe place along with any other paperwork that would be relevant at that time, ie: insurance policies, wills, etc. Otherwise, if its not something that is that big of a deal to you then dont bother.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Has anybody had any problems retrieving saved games from the Steam Cloud? Steam on my mac doesn't seem to want to download my saved game for PvZ. Is there a way to force download it or is it just an automatic process?

I took a quick glance in the support section and didn't see anything, so maybe somebody here knows?[/QUOTE]

Supposedly the Steam Cloud support for PvZ isn't 100%, so you'd just have to wait it out and hope they patch it and fix it.

Agreed with Spyder, if you die and no one knows your account info, it'll get lost in digital limbo.

[quote name='Spyder187']If this is a legitimate concern of yours I would suggest maybe making an account and password list. Place it in a safe place along with any other paperwork that would be relevant at that time, ie: insurance policies, wills, etc. Otherwise, if its not something that is that big of a deal to you then dont bother.[/QUOTE]

Oh I'm not really worried about it. I was just curious.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Gamerswithjobs was talking about this on their podcast. They said that you play a shop keeper who has to hire adventurers to go into a dungeon and find stuff for you to sell in your shop. Whenever you hire someone you then take control of him for the dungeon crawl segment which is closer to most RPGs. Upon returning from the dungeon you are faced with a few choices, do you sell/give the explorer some of the items to make future dungeon crawls easy...or sell them yourself, and do you sell high or lower prices to attract more customers? Seems like a really interesting mix of JRPG and shop manager.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the details. Will definitely buy this sometime (broke right now).

Duke, don't die! Who would I whoop at Steam games then?!

[quote name='MSI Magus']Gamerswithjobs was talking about this on their podcast. They said that you play a shop keeper who has to hire adventurers to go into a dungeon and find stuff for you to sell in your shop. Whenever you hire someone you then take control of him for the dungeon crawl segment which is closer to most RPGs. Upon returning from the dungeon you are faced with a few choices, do you sell/give the explorer some of the items to make future dungeon crawls easy...or sell them yourself, and do you sell high or lower prices to attract more customers? Seems like a really interesting mix of JRPG and shop manager.[/QUOTE]

Played the demo, was pretty fun (and I don't typically play demos--just wait for the reviews). The humor was a little too cutesy for me, but I suppose that's the JRPG genre for you. I'm wondering if there's more to the buying/shopping segments (as in the percentage you sell something for seems to be pretty standard across the board--can you sell for higher to some, lower to others?), however I thought that was pretty fun overall.

The dungeon crawling doesn't come till later, but it seems challenging enough as you either manage to get to a door and keep all your loot, or you die and have to go back with just one item. Since you're on deadlines, it seems like enough of an incentive to do well.

Seems like a bit of a high price @ $20, but then its an indie company (referenced as such at the end of the demo, which at about 3 hours was 5% completion), so thinking I'm going to preorder it, that is, if I'm paid before preorder period is over :)

[youtube]dF_ubxP66-c[/youtube]

NyxQuest has a nice art style and setting. Thank you for telling us about it.

[youtube]sf06P-_1lkU[/youtube]
Also VVVVVV is on sale for $4.49. Wish it had Steam features, but the game itself looks fun and has excellent chiptunes music..

Last edited by a moderator:
VVVVVV is amazing and at $4.49 it's an absolute steal. A browser based demo exists out there, and if you are a fan of old school platforming you definitely need to check it out. Here is the browser based demo:

http://www.kongregate.com/games/TerryCavanagh/vvvvvv-demo

The game launched at $14.99 and was originally only available from the creator, but then branched out to GamersGate, still being $14.99. Recent sale prices have put it down in the $10 - $11 range, so getting it out of the gate at $4.49 is awesome.

It's gotten amazing reviews (if you rely on those sort of things) and is well worth a purchase. It's hard as hell as well.

I didn't think it would ever hit Steam and I've been waiting on a sub $10 price, so this is perfect. An excellent write up here:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/01/12/wot-i-think-vvvvvv/

Apparently Steam is about to add a feature called "Steam Wallet," similar in concept to the PSN wallet, for instance. Basically, you can add money into a balance for your Steam account, and spend directly from that. While this'll be redundant for a lot of folks, it could be useful for, say, parents who want to give their kids a certain amount of money to spend on Steam on their own, or something like that.

Also, and this is just my own speculation, but I think this could be a good sign that we may finally see the mythical Steam gift cards, soon. It'd do a lot to explain the purpose of Steam Wallet; you buy a physical $20 gift card at retail, put the code from the card into Steam, and it adds $20 to your Steam Wallet account, just like PSN or Xbox Live gift cards.

Source for this info, by the way, are recent changes to the Steam Subscriber Agreement, mentioning the Wallet.

God I want Steam Gift Cards. It's so dumb that they don't have any. I've got a $20 Amazon GC that'd I'd love to be able to turn into Steam cash but I cant.

bread's done
Back