The Steam discussion topic! Joy and happiness, right here, folks.

[quote name='SEH']You do realize you can only trade games that you have gift copies of, right? You cant just trade any game in your library.[/QUOTE]

Really? Cause the news article I read was really misinformed then. They gave no such info about limits to trades, only that you can trade games. Well that blows hard.

Anyone play Section 8 Prejudice? I'm tempted to snag a four-pack, but Steam shows less than 600 people playing. That said, it's a GFWL game, so there may be more not on Steam playing. Just curious if it's worth it or not.

[quote name='SEH']Anyone play Section 8 Prejudice? I'm tempted to snag a four-pack, but Steam shows less than 600 people playing. That said, it's a GFWL game, so there may be more not on Steam playing. Just curious if it's worth it or not.[/QUOTE]

depends, you can have a lot of fun playing with a few friends. I played a week or two ago and auto joined a server that had 8 or so human players. I really enjoy the firefight mode swarm.
for the price in a 4pack i dont think you can go wrong.

Anyone looking to trade or sell and extra copy of hoard that they have? I know the 4 pack is cheap someone has to be looking to get rid of one. email me

adamspohn at yahoo dot com

topic: Steam(works) is bullshit DRM. Go!

point: Steam as a convenience is cool. It saves you the hassle of dealing with physical media and it streamlines many other tasks that gamers have to deal with in one shiny package.

counterpoint: Steam's TOS gives Valve the final word. You cross it, unsuspectingly or not (e.g. trade for a TF2 hat that someone bought with a stolen CC#), and however much cash you've dropped on your account all goes up in smoke.

point: Steamworks as a requirement to play a game is bullshit. It takes away the consumer's prerogative to buy a "normal" retail product and play offline as they see fit, and then do as they will with the media (sell, lend, immolate, etc.)

counterpoint: Publishers and developers have a legitimate right to protect their interests (i.e. anti-piracy measures). Steamworks is a tool for such.

Yikes. I'd be distraught if I lost my Steam account. I have really an ungodly amount of games. And like zero retail games. A handful of GoG and Impulse and a LOT of Steam (an embarrassing amount).

[quote name='hero101']I want to do a four pack deal for dead island. Anyone good for it?[/QUOTE]

Whats the price breakdown to in the four pack? On Greenmangaming.com you can use the code "READY-UPDEA-ISLAN" until the 9th to get it for $33.96. May wind up being cheaper than a four pack.

[quote name='SEH']Whats the price breakdown to in the four pack? On Greenmangaming.com you can use the code "READY-UPDEA-ISLAN" until the 9th to get it for $33.96. May wind up being cheaper than a four pack.[/QUOTE]

Yeah that's what I did, only paid that much since we couldn't find a 4th for our group.. I also just got my CD key and just activated it on Steam and and downloading/preloading the game now. :)

dead island is tempting. i just have this feeling its not going to be good. The melee mechanic worries me a bit, seems like it could be a little wonky. the embargo until release doesnt help sway me any either.

[quote name='SEH']Whats the price breakdown to in the four pack? On Greenmangaming.com you can use the code "READY-UPDEA-ISLAN" until the 9th to get it for $33.96. May wind up being cheaper than a four pack.[/QUOTE]
Just checked the UK site, and the above code works on there too.

Price works out at £23.96, down from £29.99, for all those interested (probably about three of us :lol:).

I'm going to hold off. Like paz9x says, it's a bit of a black box at the moment - we don't really know what's inside.

At the first Dead Island trailer, I was excited enough to consider pre-ordering. Each subsequent trailer more than halved that excitement. Thought about taking it off my wishlist last night, even.

[quote name='sandaz93']Are there any good advance-wars type games on steam?

Thanks in advance[/QUOTE]

Future Wars claims to be an Advance Wars-style game. I own it from a package I bought, but haven't tried it yet.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']Future Wars claims to be an Advance Wars-style game. I own it from a package I bought, but haven't tried it yet.[/QUOTE]

That looks pretty cool. It's only $5 too.

HAVE:
Bastion
King's Crusade
Modern Warfare 2
Limbo
Mass Effect
Portal x2
Fear Collection (all fear games and dlc)
Killing Floor complete pack
Terraria x2
Super Meat Boy
Borderlands GOTY x3
Booster Trooper x2
Civilization V Deluxe
Hitman Collection
Serious Sam Gold Bundle
Prototype
Frozen Synpase
Plainsight
Cossacks w/ DLC

WANT:
Civilization V
NFS games
Skyrim
Red Orchestra 2
Dead Island
and whatever i dont have :)

SteamCommunity URL: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tinghung100
add me.

Anyone out there try out the new Borderlands stuff?

Product Update - Valve
Sep 9, 2011

Implemented new opt-in stat-tracking service, BTest, for Steam players.

- The result of ongoing work within Gearbox Labs, BTest is a limited-time experiment that offers you the chance to help us tune and improve our games.

- By choosing to participate in BTest, you help us learn more about the world of Borderlands (what guns are the most popular and effective, what areas are being played the most, etc.) just by playing the game!

- You will be able to compare your characters to your friends and other players throughout the world through the Gearbox Labs site.

- For more information on BTest visit http://labs.gearboxsoftware.com

- Added new EULA and opt-in / opt-out menu choices for BTest functionality.

- Save games now sync with Steam Cloud for remote backup.

Unfortunately after that patch, my game would lock-up about 5 minutes in. Had to reinstall the game completely to get it working (I had some community made maps installed, might have been the culprit).

There's no gameplay benefit from this latest patch at all. All it does is send game data back to Gearbox to help them with the development of Borderlands 2. The steam cloud support is nice though.

So iv been using this site called kickstarter and I think it would be really awesome if steam did something similar for game developers using steam. For those that dont know kickstarter is a place to help people achieve a goal such as developing a board/video game, self publishing their books or opening their own store. They put up what their goal is and then ask people to pledge money to their project and name how much it will take to accomplish that goal. If they do not meet their goal then your money is returned to you, if they meet their goal then you are charged and in return for your pledge you get various rewards based on how much you pledged.

So for example if they were developing a board game a basic $10 pledge may get you a tshirt relating to the project. For a $25 pledge you get an early release copy of the game. $40 gets you a signed copy and a personalized thank you. Some people promise bigger and cooler things such as designing you in to the game or a numbered and limited tin for your game. One developer even offered to fly to your house and host a game night teaching you and your friends how to play if you pledged $1,000.

I think that this would be great addition on steam that could help a lot of smaller developers get their game released. They could handle it the exact same way that kickstarter does. There would be a special tab on steam called Kick start or the "indy fun funding section" or whatever where people could list a game they want to make, a bit about it and put up a video/demo of their work so far. They then could ask for people to pledge to their project to help them fund their work. If they meet their goal then the game gets released and in return you get the game, dlc or other things for free.

^ One of my favorite bands funded/isfunding their last album thru kickstarter and they almost doubled their goal.

And doesn't Desura have something to facilitate funding for developers?

[quote name='dfg']^ One of my favorite bands funded/isfunding their last album thru kickstarter and they almost doubled their goal.

And doesn't Desura have something to facilitate funding for developers?[/QUOTE]

No clue, but I know you can kick start games through kickstarters. Even with that being the case though I still think steam doing something like this would help tremendously. First off too many gamers dont know about kickstarter, but obviously they know about steam. Second steam could advertise a game a day or even have developers run "sales" on kickstarted games. Third it gives developers an immediate platform to put their games on.

Kickstarter has done wonders for my graphic novels. A lot of indie developers use it also. A few have let their games go freeware once their raised a certain amount also.

All I want is a Steam release to come out on time without problems.

So far my releases have all either been late, had problems or a wrong build...
L4D 2
Dead Island
and Now Hard Reset is having fucking release problems.

[quote name='Megazell']Kickstarter has done wonders for my graphic novels. A lot of indie developers use it also. A few have let their games go freeware once their raised a certain amount also.[/QUOTE]

That is why I think its such a perfect match for steam, it really would let indy developers find not just an audience but also funding.

[quote name='MSI Magus']So iv been using this site called kickstarter and I think it would be really awesome if steam did something similar for game developers using steam. For those that dont know kickstarter is a place to help people achieve a goal such as developing a board/video game, self publishing their books or opening their own store. They put up what their goal is and then ask people to pledge money to their project and name how much it will take to accomplish that goal. If they do not meet their goal then your money is returned to you, if they meet their goal then you are charged and in return for your pledge you get various rewards based on how much you pledged.

So for example if they were developing a board game a basic $10 pledge may get you a tshirt relating to the project. For a $25 pledge you get an early release copy of the game. $40 gets you a signed copy and a personalized thank you. Some people promise bigger and cooler things such as designing you in to the game or a numbered and limited tin for your game. One developer even offered to fly to your house and host a game night teaching you and your friends how to play if you pledged $1,000.

I think that this would be great addition on steam that could help a lot of smaller developers get their game released. They could handle it the exact same way that kickstarter does. There would be a special tab on steam called Kick start or the "indy fun funding section" or whatever where people could list a game they want to make, a bit about it and put up a video/demo of their work so far. They then could ask for people to pledge to their project to help them fund their work. If they meet their goal then the game gets released and in return you get the game, dlc or other things for free.[/QUOTE]

I too love Kickstarter, but I feel like Steam is already getting really crowded. I think people are expecting one service to do too many things, ala Facebook. The thing is, I usually want my services to do 1 or 2 things, but do them REALLY well. Steam already manages my games and my game-playing friends really well, Idon't know if I want it to do more than that.

That said, Valve has talked about playing around with the idea of a user funded game, where users can play the part that a publisher usually plays and 'invest' in a game.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']I too love Kickstarter, but I feel like Steam is already getting really crowded. I think people are expecting one service to do too many things, ala Facebook. The thing is, I usually want my services to do 1 or 2 things, but do them REALLY well. Steam already manages my games and my game-playing friends really well, Idon't know if I want it to do more than that.

That said, Valve has talked about playing around with the idea of a user funded game, where users can play the part that a publisher usually plays and 'invest' in a game.[/QUOTE]

I dont really see how this would be branching out much further. Steam is a game delivery service first and foremost and I dont see how adding a way to fund games would hurt.

[quote name='MSI Magus']I dont really see how this would be branching out much further. Steam is a game delivery service first and foremost and I dont see how adding a way to fund games would hurt.[/QUOTE]

Mostly because Valve is pretty selective about what they let on Steam. It's kind of hard to judge something if it doesn't exist yet. Only established developers and publishers get their games on Steam without having to jump through Valve's review process hoops, and those aren't the types of folks who need startup funding. But if you just let any developer on to Steam, without having to prove their game is of decent quality, it's going to start looking like the "Just In" queue of the Android Market.

It just seems like a catch 22. In order to get on Steam, you have to have a fairly far along project. In order to get that far along, you would (presumably) have to get on the Steam kickstarter.

[quote name='Hydro2Oxide']Mostly because Valve is pretty selective about what they let on Steam. It's kind of hard to judge something if it doesn't exist yet. Only established developers and publishers get their games on Steam without having to jump through Valve's review process hoops, and those aren't the types of folks who need startup funding. But if you just let any developer on to Steam, without having to prove their game is of decent quality, it's going to start looking like the "Just In" queue of the Android Market.

It just seems like a catch 22. In order to get on Steam, you have to have a fairly far along project. In order to get that far along, you would (presumably) have to get on the Steam kickstarter.[/QUOTE]

Do like MS does then and have two separate stores. Have the traditional Steam for proven developers and games and then have the kickstarter type function and other indy games on a secondary tab. Kind of like how only proven developers/publishers get their games on XBLA yet they have the indy section.

I think this would make perfect sense because it would keep the steam store clean(hell far more clean then it is now even)yet at the same time mean anyone can find both funding and a place to release their game.

[quote name='MSI Magus']That is why I think its such a perfect match for steam, it really would let indy developers find not just an audience but also funding.[/QUOTE]

Speaking of which Desura released this article today.

Alphafunding for Indie Games
http://www.desura.com/groups/desura/news/alphafunding-for-indie-games

I can actually get behind this. This has sort of been the way freeware gaming has been. Donations buttons go up. Freeware maker put out concept games and after a few donations complete the entire game. The donation button still stay up after for those willing to drop coin for their games.

Here it will be different. Donors will get first dibs and when the game is done it will go retail.

Beats paying full price only to learn that the game is buggy as hell and pray for a patch.

Quick question... I bought Magicka today at Amazon and registered it with Steam. If I purchase the, now on sale, "Magicka Complete Pack" on Steam; will I be able to gift the base Magicka game I already own?

Picked up Battlefield Bad Company 2 on a Steam Deal a while back and tried to play it last night. Awesome game but it keeps freezing to a black screen that I cant exit from. I have to hard reboot. I want to play through the game and have read about this a lot online. Anyone hear have luck finding a solution?

Anyone check out Bunch of Heroes? My friends and I are thinking of grabbing it but I was curious if anyone had an opinion on it.

I noticed that this website DLGamer.com is selling Dead Island Steam keys for 20% off. At the bottom of the page it says you can only install it on 3 PCs and then you have to contact them for help after that. I was wondering if this is a common restriction for Steam keys sold by different websites? I also just purchased a Steam key for Just Cause 2 on eBay and wondered if it might fall under the same restrictions. In my purchase history they categorize it as the retail version. Thanks.

[quote name='Solid-Snake-Eyes']I noticed that this website DLGamer.com is selling Dead Island Steam keys for 20% off. At the bottom of the page it says you can only install it on 3 PCs and then you have to contact them for help after that. I was wondering if this is a common restriction for Steam keys sold by different websites? I also just purchased a Steam key for Just Cause 2 on eBay and wondered if it might fall under the same restrictions. In my purchase history they categorize it as the retail version. Thanks.[/QUOTE]
DLGamer support told me that because it's a Steam game there are no install limits. They have bad english so their messages aren't totally clear. I said that on the bottom of the page it says 3 PC limit and they told me that's not the case.

So I go to the store pages for those free-to-play games, and it shows that 251 of my friends already own this game, and then I think, waitasec, I have 259 people on my Friends List.

Steam must really hate those 8 peeps.

bread's done
Back