The Thing Dvd

Xenomorph

CAGiversary!
This weeks best buy ad shows a new Dvd version for this great movie. Now I was wondering if anyone knows if this dvd will offer anything more than the already avaliable collectors edition of The Thing. Is this 1 better.
Thanks

My b/f was wondering the same thing. Anybody know? The disc out now already has a bunch of stuff on it.

[quote name='Xenomorph']This weeks best buy ad shows a new Dvd version for this great movie. Now I was wondering if anyone knows if this dvd will offer anything more than the already avaliable collectors edition of The Thing. Is this 1 better.
Thanks[/quote]
Other than having a cover which isn't nearly as cool let me pop in my dvd and compare with the features listed on amazon.com. They dropped the english subtitle and added a french subtitle. IGN reports it features a new widescreen anamorphic transfer.

But as I compare the special features menu for the old CE to the two lists for the new movie, it features all the same special features with no new ones. That is understandable considering the extras included were phemoninal when this disc was first released, and still hold up, in terms of amount of information, to today.

So basically, if you already own the old release and are happy with the video, there is no reason to upgrade. If you don't own the old version of the movie, WTF don't you? Run your ass out on tuesday and pick this disc up and prepare yourself for a horrifying movie-going experience.

I imagine reviews will mention how much the video has improved and they will probably start appearing early next week.

[quote name='doubledown']Basically, you get Anamorphic Widescreen which is a MUST if you have a widescreen TV[/quote]

Yep.
I'll probably pick it up sometime if it's ever in a 2 (or 3) for $X at BB.

I'm sure it will be a 2 for deal soon. It's already a cheap DVD....$15 at BB.

I think I may just rent it at BlockBuster.com, since they carry the new version online :)

[quote name='doubledown']I'm sure it will be a 2 for deal soon. It's already a cheap DVD....$15 at BB.

I think I may just rent it at BlockBuster.com, since they carry the new version online :)[/quote]

Ya, that's one of the only things I hate about Netflix, they don't rent second releases of dvds.

[quote name='SEGA128DC']Does this new DVD version of The Thing, star Kurt Russell?...[/quote]

Yes, it is simply the same dvd extras, but the movie has a new anamorphic transfer. Considerating original release of the dvd was in 1998, the difference in the transfers better be night and day, or I am going to be mad.

Why are both DVD versions of The Thing called "Collector's Edition"? I don't like the new cover art, the old version is much better...

[quote name='SEGA128DC']Why are both DVD versions of The Thing called "Collector's Edition"? I don't like the new cover art, the old version is much better...[/quote]

Because universal is lazy? if you look at the list of the special features it's just the exact name of the bonus feature on the old dvd menu

Yes, the CE is confunsing....I kinda like the new box-art....

Although, I guess it's better than calling it the EXTREME or ULTIMATE edition.

[quote name='doubledown']I believe the other one was Widescreen also, just not Anamorphic.[/quote]

What does anamorphic actually mean?...

[quote name='doubledown']And now you know the wonders of Anamorphic on a 16x9 set vs a junk 4x3 set ;)

Everyone should have a HDTV :)[/quote]

Everyone should have a widescreen HDTV...

bread's done
Back