The time is at hand...

eulogywerd21

CAGiversary!
Feedback
289 (100%)
Next week I'm flying into Denver for a week. As some of of you know, Denver is the location of a Microcenter store. Now, I've been in the market for a new CPU for quite some time and however the make it possible, Microcenter has the best CPU/MOBO deals I can find, tax included.

Right now I have a Gigabyte MOBO for an AMD 1090t BE. I have $500, that I intended to buy a Xbox One with, that I'm more than willing to put towards a new Intel set up. So...

What should I do? Buy last year's i5 3570k, only $189? Get a new, though questionably improved, i5 Haswell for only $10 more? I don't need the built graphics as I'm sure my gtx670 is still kicking. Wait until 2014 to see what's next in the LGA1150 socket?

I'm really torn since I can't stand to sit on this $500 for any longer and it may be awhile before I go to Denver again. If I don't buy a new processor next week, I'll probably just put the money towards the Xbox or, shit, I dunno. Did I mention I'm torn, here?

I would say the 3570k. From reading the forums over at anandtech, it seems that ivy reaches higher overclocks than haswell, at the same temps.

Considering that you've waited 3 years to upgrade this time around, if the same holds true this time then 1150 will most likely be obsolete by the time you upgrade again anyway.

{If you aren't primarily using the computer for games, ignore below.}

I know that you're deciding between Intel chips but would you consider AMD? If the main purpose of your PC is gaming, you may be better off with your current chip or an 8 core Piledriver.

Since both the X1 and PS4 are using 8 core chips, I have a strong feeling that games will use more cores in the coming months unlike the dual/quad optimized games of today.

bread's done
Back