The UK general election

Mike23

CAGiversary!
starts tomorrow.

The prime minister will go to Buckingham Palace to ask the Queen to dissolve Parliament.

On returning from the Palace he will formally confirm the date and make a speech in Downing Street in which he will dub the election "the big choice".

The economy, taxation and public services will be key battlegrounds.

The campaign will also feature, for the first time, live television debates between the three main party leaders.

It will be the first time that Mr Brown, David Cameron and Nick Clegg have led their respective parties into a general election.

We are in for most unpredictable, most dramatic and most exciting election in many years - I can't wait

Nick Robinson

Nick Robinson's blog
On returning from the Palace, Mr Brown is expected to say: "The people have fought too hard to get Britain on the road to recovery to allow anybody to take us back to the road to recession."

He will outline "three big challenges" facing the country - securing the recovery, protecting front line services whilst halving the deficit, and renewing politics.

At about the same time, Mr Cameron will make a speech in which he is expected to say the Tories are fighting for "the Great Ignored".

"We're fighting this election for the Great Ignored - young, old, rich, poor, black, white, gay, straight.

"They start businesses, operate factories, teach our children, clean the streets, grow our food and keep us healthy - keep us safe. They work hard, pay their taxes, obey the law," he will say.

ANALYSIS
Ross Hawkins
BBC political correspondent

Much of the substantial discussion in the coming weeks will centre on policies for taxing the public, and spending their money.

Recent debate has centred on the government's plan to put up National Insurance next year, and the Conservative policy of blocking much of the rise.

Journalists will press politicians for more detail on whether their sums add up, and where spending cuts will come.

These debates will be picked over in huge detail. Few will have the time to follow every twist. But at the heart of each one will be the fight to appear credible on the economy.

Campaign battlegrounds drawn

Meanwhile in an address to party workers, Liberal Democrat leader Nick Clegg is expected to say the announcement will mark the "beginning of the end for Gordon Brown", claiming he is "directly and personally responsible for the biggest mistakes of the last 13 years".

He is expected to highlight the banking crash and recession, the "illegal invasion of Iraq", the "corruption and rottenness in our politics" and claim Britain has become more unequal and unfair under Labour.

The whole Cabinet, which will hold its usual Tuesday morning meeting before Mr Brown heads to Buckingham Palace, will start campaigning immediately.

The shadow cabinet is also poised to fan out across the country as soon as the election is called.

The three main parties - along with a host of other smaller parties - will be fighting for 650 seats, four more than currently exist because of constituency boundary changes.

To secure an overall majority, a party must win at least 326 - if no party makes sufficient gains, the result will be a hung Parliament.

After 13 years in power, Labour enters the election with a notional majority of 48 seats, meaning that a loss of 24 seats would see them lose their overall majority.

Whatever the result, the make-up of the House of Commons will change significantly following the election, with 144 MPs so far having announced that they will stand down.

Polls in recent weeks have suggested a narrowing of the Conservative lead over Labour.

TUESDAY'S TIMETABLE
8.30am - Nick Clegg to address Liberal Democrat supporters
10am - Gordon Brown departs for an audience with the Queen
10.30am - David Cameron to address Tory supporters
11am - Gordon Brown to formally announce date of election at Downing Street
But the BBC's deputy political editor James Landale said the polls were "close and irregular" and the result of the ballot was "genuinely uncertain".

"What is said and done in the next four weeks will have an impact on the final outcome. Much of this campaign will be trivial - the final choice is anything but," he said.

On Monday, the prime minister defended Labour's record on dealing with the recession and laying the foundations for recovery.

He said Tory plans, in particular to reverse Labour's planned National Insurance rise, were a risk the UK "can't afford" and could send the country into a "double-dip recession".

For their part, the Tories say the NI rise would lead to job losses and argue that by making £6bn of government efficiency savings this financial year they can remove the need to implement most of the policy.

BBC's James Landale: "At around ten o'clock Gordon Brown will go off to see the Queen"
The Conservatives say they could bring down the UK deficit without any tax rises on top of those already announced - including a levy on bank transactions - and have said they have no plans at present to raise VAT.

The Liberal Democrats have accused the Tories of "treating people like fools", claiming their NI policy is uncosted, and while unwelcome, a rise in contributions is unavoidable.

They have set out plans for £15bn of public spending cuts, a "mansion tax" on properties worth more than £2m and an end to income tax on the first £10,000 of earnings.

The economy has already been the subject of one live television debate - between Chancellor Alistair Darling and his Tory and Lib Dem counterparts - on Channel 4 last week.

It will again be the focus of one of the live leadership debates to be held during the formal election campaign on the BBC, Sky and ITV. The other two will cover domestic affairs and international policy.

Looks like there's actually going to be a race (polls earlier in the year had Labour falling to 3rd)

Any thoughts?

How do the parties work? Assuming it's also a two party system, which one is equivalent to R and which one is equivalent to D?

[quote name='IRHari']How do the parties work? Assuming it's also a two party system, which one is equivalent to R and which one is equivalent to D?[/QUOTE]

Tories are closer to the Republicans I guess, and Labour to the Dems but it's not quite that simple.

What's probably closer to the truth is both are closer to the Dems, neither Labour nor the Tories will be preaching a smaller government at this election.

We also have a third party called the Liberal Democrats, they'll get some seats. If it's close this year they may end up forming the government with another party.

Last edited by a moderator:
Brown was much less prominent on my radar relative to Blair, so I can't really say if it's a big deal or not that he'll be replaced. How is the UK economy relative to the US?

[quote name='mykevermin']Brown was much less prominent on my radar relative to Blair, so I can't really say if it's a big deal or not that he'll be replaced. How is the UK economy relative to the US?[/QUOTE]

I'd say weaker, the UK was more exposed than any other country in Europe to the financial crisis due to the importance of the finance sector to the economy. I'm no expert though.

Man, for an incumbent PM (or President for that matter) to make such a huge gaffe like this so close to the election...yeah he just hara-kiri'd himself.

[quote name='fatherofcaitlyn']So, GB called a spade a spade?[/QUOTE]

Not really, he called a woman who asked him a question about immigration a bigot. This was a woman who had voted for his party her entire life and the question she asked was not of the "so when are we sending back all these foreigners?" variety.

Course if you ask a question about immigration you must be a bigot, amirite ?

Today is the election BTW.

I saw this on 4chan

1273179729565.png

We now have a Hung Parliament and the Liberal Democrats, which have the least amount of seats, is now pretty much the most powerful party in the country and have the power to decide on who will be the next prime minister. Thoughts on what's going to happen CAG?

[quote name='PhaperPlane']We now have a Hung Parliament[/quote]

Oh, my.

and the Liberal Democrats, which have the least amount of seats, is now pretty much the most powerful party in the country and have the power to decide on who will be the next prime minister. Thoughts on what's going to happen CAG?

Oh, that kind of hung. I heard about this on BBC News World Service this morning. I can't predict what will happen in the slightest, so I won't pretend to know. But I'm very interested in the outcome. About the best prediction I can muster is that I can't see them helping Labour give another term to Gordon Brown.

[quote name='PhaperPlane']We now have a Hung Parliament and the Liberal Democrats, which have the least amount of seats, is now pretty much the most powerful party in the country and have the power to decide on who will be the next prime minister. Thoughts on what's going to happen CAG?[/QUOTE]
Welcome to the last many years of Mike and I.

EDIT: Though admittedly, we have four parties in parliament, which complicates the whole "balance of power" thing considerably. As she stands, Mike's opposition Liberal's would need both the further-left NDP and the Quebec-nationalist Bloc Quebecois to overthrow the government.

The last coalition government in the UK lasted about 3 months I believe, I'd expect a similar duration if we end up with one now.

Well, the Liberal Democrats leader Nick Clegg has had a conversation with the leader of the Conservatives, David Cameron this afternoon. There will be further talks tonight between the two parties. I'm thinking that the Liberal Democrats may support Conservative, but we won't know for a while.

At the moment, the only party which could potentially win is the Conservatives if they form a coalition with Liberal Democrats. If Labour form a coalition with Liberal Democrats, they would be 11 seats short of forming a government.

At the end of the day, the results stand at:
(With 326 seats to win)
Conservatives; 306 (GAIN; 100 LOSS; 3 NET; +97)
Labour; 258 (GAIN; 3 LOSS; 94 NET; -91)
Liberal Democrats; 57 (GAIN; 8 LOSS; 13 NET; -5)
649/650 Seats have been declared.
The last seat won't be declared until 28/29 May due to the death of a candidate in the area. Voting has been delayed in that area until 27th May.

David Cameron is now the Prime Minister after the Queen gives an invitation to Cameron to form a government, which he accepted.

I guess there goes my chance of voting this year if there was a re-election. :( Ah well, there's always 2014! :D

Phaper would be able to answer that far better than I, but stability could be a big reason. A government of 363 would be a bit more reliable than one of 315.

Or politics. Perhaps the Liberal Democrats feel that weakening the party closest to them would benefit them in the long run, à la NDP/Liberals in Canada.

I was comparing your 'weakening party closest to them.' Obama is pissing off his base with the decisions he is making. I have no idea why he is doing it though, he is getting nothing in return for his moderation.

bread's done
Back