The Walking Dead Limited Edition Collector's Tin (Best Buy Exclusive)

joker______

CAGiversary!
Special Features:
  • The Walking Dead Special Edition 3-Disc Set Blu-ray™
    • Pilot Episode: The Black & White Version
    • Audio Commentaries On All 6 Episodes
    • We Are THE WALKING DEAD
    • Bring Out The Dead: KNB And The Art Of Making Zombies
    • Digital Decay: The VFX Of THE WALKING DEAD
    • No More Room In Hell: The Walking Dead Phenomenon
    • Adapting The Dead
    • Killer Conversations: Frank Darabont & Greg Nicotero
  • Wearable Zombie Mask Designed By Greg Nicotero
  • EXCLUSIVE Cryptozoic Walking Dead Trading Card

Release Date 10/4/11
Pre-Order $54.99,link:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Walking...81&st=Walking_Dead_Seasons_20110718&lp=3&cp=1

Last edited by a moderator:
$90 for 6 episodes?! :whee:
samuel_l_jackson.gif

[quote name='Darknuke']Sounds about as equally ridiculous imo ;)[/QUOTE]
So does paying $100+ for a comic "bust/statue" or for other things.

It's personal preference, i don't mind paying the price because i love walking dead, i have all the single issues, trades, the compendium and the walking dead omnibus versions, i paid 60+ for each omnibus, people are paying hundreds for the first version but collectors don't find it ridiculous because it's something they love, from a non-fanboy perspective i can see why someone wouldn't want to fork over that much money, im the same way with someone spending $65 on a 6-8 hour video games, or $100-150 for a 8 hour video game with a plastic helmet.

see my point? it's not as ridiculous as other things, don't even get me started on magic the gathering, people paying hundreds of dollars for a cardboard card.

[quote name='styl3s']So does paying $100+ for a comic "bust/statue" or for other things.

It's personal preference, i don't mind paying the price because i love walking dead, i have all the single issues, trades, the compendium and the walking dead omnibus versions, i paid 60+ for each omnibus, people are paying hundreds for the first version but collectors don't find it ridiculous because it's something they love, from a non-fanboy perspective i can see why someone wouldn't want to fork over that much money, im the same way with someone spending $65 on a 6-8 hour video games, or $100-150 for a 8 hour video game with a plastic helmet.

see my point? it's not as ridiculous as other things, don't even get me started on magic the gathering, people paying hundreds of dollars for a cardboard card.[/QUOTE]

I'll just download them for my iPad...

[quote name='GizmoGC']I'll just download them for my iPad...[/QUOTE]
ok?

I would rather watch less compressed full 1080p on my 55" LED, not on a tiny overpriced underpowered tablet.

[quote name='styl3s'] besides it's less ridiculous than people on this forum that spend $50-60 for 1 steelbook movie.[/QUOTE]

being on of those steelbook people i resent that remark.

[quote name='styl3s']ok?
I would rather watch less compressed full 1080p on my 55" LED, not on a tiny overpriced underpowered tablet.[/QUOTE]
:applause:

[quote name='styl3s']So does paying $100+ for a comic "bust/statue" or for other things.

see my point? it's not as ridiculous as other things, don't even get me started on magic the gathering, people paying hundreds of dollars for a cardboard card.[/QUOTE]

I don't really see a difference between you buying the CE because you are a fanboy and a Halo fan buying the LE because they are a fanboy... Your argument is based on your own personal opinion of Halo. Same goes for Magic. Logically and without bias, it makes no sense to spend $100 on a card, but if you are a huge fan who loves the game and likes to support it, then why wouldn't you?

I play Warhammer 40k. I know I'm getting absolutely ripped off when I pay $40 for plastic, tiny, models that cost them probably $5 to make, but I do it because I love the hobby.

Now I'm not trying to say I condone the pricetag these things are set at. It's really just the companies trying to exploit their fans, but if you buy it, you are clearly willing to pay that price due to some amount of fanboy-ism.

[quote name='Darknuke']I don't really see a difference between you buying the CE because you are a fanboy and a Halo fan buying the LE because they are a fanboy... Your argument is based on your own personal opinion of Halo. Same goes for Magic. Logically and without bias, it makes no sense to spend $100 on a card, but if you are a huge fan who loves the game and likes to support it, then why wouldn't you?

I play Warhammer 40k. I know I'm getting absolutely ripped off when I pay $40 for plastic, tiny, models that cost them probably $5 to make, but I do it because I love the hobby.

Now I'm not trying to say I condone the pricetag these things are set at. It's really just the companies trying to exploit their fans, but if you buy it, you are clearly willing to pay that price due to some amount of fanboy-ism.[/QUOTE]
Pretty much, i admit to the fact that it is clearly overpriced but i have no problem paying the money, i can understand someone from a point of view who doesn't make a whole lot of money, is on a budget etc. but i have busted my ass for years to get where i am and the perk of that is i can throw money at stupid fanboyish things :lol:

I don't deny that it's at least priced $40 more than it should be, but like those crazy people who spend $500 on a black lotus (MTG) or $100's for a graded comic i want it for my collection, i would do the same with a SOA tin, Justified Tin or Lost because of my insane fanboyish love towards them.

[quote name='skinkrawl']Sorry to bump an old thread, but here's an interesting article about the show:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/walking-dead-what-happened-fired-221449[/QUOTE]

Yea I saw this as well a few days back and I gotta say who ever is running AMC are a bunch of assholes. First they had issues with the mad men creator then they went after Sony about breaking bad and now pretty much screwing up the walking dead. I swear I think AMC is made up of people from Fox always trying to kill a show when its amazing the way it is, like arrested development.

[quote name='skinkrawl']Yeah, pilot was really great, very slow moving and seemed ready to go in the right direction, but it all came off the rails after that. Part of the problem was that they were only limited to six episodes and were unsure if there would ever be more (second season didn't get picked up until the show did big numbers), so I think they tried to squeeze too much into each episode. They also decided to go away from the books, even though the author is a part of the show.[/QUOTE]

Apparently as others noted, Kirkman only did a bit of the writing for the pilot and one other episode of the first "season", hence all the nonsense with the good guy cholos/vatos and the CDC. Also due to the complaints and grumblings about the quality of the show and divergence, they are going to follow the comic more closely with S2 and on, which they should have done to begin with, with Kirkman taking a more active role?

Hell, just follow one to three comics per episode and they are set, the comic is so damn good. Those 6 episodes should have covered the first six issues/first story arc and ended with
Shane dead at the hands of Carl

Look at how closely Game of Thrones follows the book, and that show is just phenomenal.

And as others have noted, $90 for this set? Mask be damned, it should come with a zombie survival kit or a damn zombie. Or better yet, a first print of issue #1.

I picked up S1 on blu for $10 via Best Buy wrong pricematch to Target's ad, and even then I felt I was overpaying...

1st print of #1?!?!? That's a bit crazy to expect that. I've turned down multiple offers of $350+ for one of my copies of #1.

FYI - Kirkman wrote the episode with the cholos/vatos.

[quote name='blk00civicsi']1st print of #1?!?!? That's a bit crazy to expect that. I've turned down multiple offers of $350+ for one of my copies of #1.

FYI - Kirkman wrote the episode with the cholos/vatos.[/QUOTE]

Wow, he wrote the cholo/vato episode? Yeesh. The pilot follows the first couple of issues so well, and is so engaging and entertaining, it's just surprising to me they didn't continue with a very close version of the book. You have a winning formula already mapped and plan, why mess with it?

As for the values of #1, yeah I was joking...comparing the extremely high MSRP (IMO) of this collector's tin to the extremely high "value" of a first print of #1. I'm a fan but not crazy, although I have a couple of first prints of #1 as well that I threw on my preorders so I paid less than cover for them.

What's starting to happen with all of these shows is what kills so many movies. You get corporate people involved who are looking to squeeze every dollar they can from it as well as trying to make it a product rather than an art. For the last few years, AMC was just happy to have something that was good; now they see $$$$$$$, get greedy, and start to screw with things.

Side question: I watched the first episode of Game of Thrones and didn't really like it. Little too much "who is sleeping with who" for me. Should I give it another chance?

[quote name='skinkrawl']What's starting to happen with all of these shows is what kills so many movies. You get corporate people involved who are looking to squeeze every dollar they can from it as well as trying to make it a product rather than an art. For the last few years, AMC was just happy to have something that was good; now they see $$$$$$$, get greedy, and start to screw with things.

Side question: I watched the first episode of Game of Thrones and didn't really like it. Little too much "who is sleeping with who" for me. Should I give it another chance?[/QUOTE]

Yes give Game of Thrones another chance!

Dude, just read the book, A Game of Thrones is awesome (haven't see show though).

Walking Dead is $69.99...

Wearable zombie mask? Not one of those cereal box cutout is it?

I was going to read the books (they've been on my list for quite awhile), but right around that time was when the first show aired. After not really digging the show, I didn't know if I wanted to delve into a series of that length if it wasn't my thing.

[quote name='Taco5']Now down to $54.99.[/QUOTE]

That is soooooooooo much more reasonable, but still too overpriced for my tastes...

First episode was VERY good but I can see this show going downhill for season two. Especially with all the corporate internal studio mess and then them trying to rip us all off with double dips etc. The buzz about the franchise is going to die off. Its a shame. This show felt different for a while.

I never bought the original release so I'll probably pick this one up. $54.99 is pretty reasonable IMO as long as the mask is an actual rubber mask and not a cereal box cutout like Serpentor said.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Picture of the mask:

mask.jpg
[/QUOTE]

So, If I'm buying this BB Exclusive, I'm getting the Blu-ray set that costs $34.99 on Amazon, and then I'm paying $20 for that mask, a trading card, and a "tin"? Not a steelbook, but a "tin" ?

Damn, I'd like to see one of those unboxing videos for this thing before I buy it. By the time there's an unboxing video, my $34.99 amazon order will be sitting on my doorstep.

Anyone know what's up with this? It wasn't listed in the ad. I still plan on showing up to BB when they open tomorrow. I have a couple of gift cards so it'll only cost me around $20 out of pocket.

[quote name='PopcornBandit']Anyone know what's up with this? It wasn't listed in the ad. I still plan on showing up to BB when they open tomorrow. I have a couple of gift cards so it'll only cost me around $20 out of pocket.[/QUOTE]

Surprisingly it was not is the ad. I however did do a pre-order for in-store pickup tomorrow.

Some bad news: Unless I grabbed the non-BB exclusive version (I'm 99.9% sure I didn't), it isn't a tin. It's a cardboard box that houses the three-disc set and the mask. For those of you interested, I recorded an unboxing video. When it finishes uploading to YouTube, I'll post it here.

[quote name='PopcornBandit']Some bad news: Unless I grabbed the non-BB exclusive version (I'm 99.9% sure I didn't), it isn't a tin. It's a cardboard box that houses the three-disc set and the mask. For those of you interested, I recorded an unboxing video. When it finishes uploading to YouTube, I'll post it here.[/QUOTE]
I'll watch

[quote name='PopcornBandit']Some bad news: Unless I grabbed the non-BB exclusive version (I'm 99.9% sure I didn't), it isn't a tin. It's a cardboard box that houses the three-disc set and the mask. For those of you interested, I recorded an unboxing video. When it finishes uploading to YouTube, I'll post it here.[/QUOTE]

Gee, what a shocker that BB advertised on the website something that was not accurate. Also, BB was the only retailer to carry this version.

Did they even mention that it's a tin on the website or was than an assumption by the OP of this thread? The BB page makes no mention of a tin

It's possible that whoever makes it backed out from making it a tin. I doubt BB would just make up that it came with a tin if that's not what they were originally promised

I was really wanting this but now after seeing the mask and the lack of the steelbook I'm thinking I'm going to hold off. I reall just want the extras on the discs.

So if there is no tin case we might as well go with Amazon since it's $35 instead of $55. I still don't understand why they make the cases out of cardboard I really don't like that.

I cancelled my amazon preorder. I ended up watching the complete first season on demand with AMC HD over the weekend for free. Maybe I'll pick up the $35 version if it ever drops in price.

I'm still a little unsettled about the super fast double dip. I'm hesitant to start collecting The Walking Dead blu-rays at all.

I'm not sure if this is worth it at all now. Do they have it in just a 3 disc set?

EDIT: Never mind. I see that one is out.

Does this set come with the web series? if not then does anyone know where I could download them? Don't really want to watch them on youtube every time I want to see them.

Frys ad shows that the stand alone 3 disc set is $20 if anyone is willing just wanting the set alone without the mask or tin box.

bread's done
Back