Not open for further replies.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
iconamazon.gif
Amazon
Consoles* Amazon did not take preorders, see note.
Games

iconbestbuy.gif
Best Buy
Consoles Both models sold out online & in store
Games

icongs_r1.gif
Gamestop
Games

icontoysrus_r1.gif
Toys R Us
Games

icontarget.gif
Target
Games

iconwalmart_r3.gif
Walmart
Consoles
Wii U Bundle Sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken
Wii U Deluxe Sold out online & in store
Wii U Basic Sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken
Games

Sears
Consoles/Games Deluxe model sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken

kmart.gif
Kmart
Consoles/Games Deluxe model sold out online, in-store pre-orders were not taken

newegg.gif
Newegg
Deluxe Bundle Bundled with New Super Mario Bros U, Black Ops 2, and Zombi U-Out of Stock
Games

iconplayasia.gif
Play-Asia
Consoles/Games Reservation List Only for NTSC Basic & Deluxe models

Fry's Electronics
Consoles Both models sold out online
Games

Staples
Games

J&R
Consoles Both models are no longer available for pre-order at the physical location.
Games

Nebraska Furniture Mart
Accessories
Games

:hot:Nintendo World Store
Consoles: Both models are no longer available for pre-order at the physical location in NYC.

Notes:

• Newegg, as of now (Friday before launch) is selling the deluxe console as a bundle only. It is listed for immediate shipping, not as a pre-order.

• *Amazon email sent out to those who signed up for Wii U pre-order notification:
Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank for you signing up to be notified when the Wii U is available.
Unfortunately the Wii U console is not available at Amazon.com at this time but please check back in the future, as availability may change. We do have the latest Wii U games and accessories available now so check them out. Thank you for shopping with Amazon Video Games.
System Information

YWbCj.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember dealing with FYE during the PS3 pre-orders...The experience was atrocious. I was the first to pre-order for the PS3 launch in February. They neglected to tell me they weren't getting in any systems, didn't contact me for a refund, and when I visited the store I had to deal with a manager who refused to believe they had ever taken money for pre-orders in the first place. I hope they've improved for you guys....

Thank god I never trusted them, and dealt through Gamestop instead......

[quote name='JUSTSULTAN']Well i was able to pay off my deluxe. According to my Gamestop guy i was the second to have it paid off. I mentioned that all i wanted to was come in and pick everything up and be out of there. He said "it would be nece" then went on to tell me that majority of people are are going to come in with stacks of games day of and cause even longer waits, not to mention those who didnt preorder waiting for their games to trade and walk ins! Its going to be bananas put i cant wait. I am a little sad about my backlog but it I hope it was worth it...and i guess i can get them back when Sony and MS do the next generation thing. So all i have is to get are some games and those are coming from amazon credit so i think im set. I would have never thought twice about getting the 'U" if it wasnt for CAG![/QUOTE]
Being at gamestop for 3 Nintendo Launches (DS, 3DS and Wii) your best bet is to get there at least 2 hours early (depending on area), and just camp there. This way you are not only guaranteed a console (incase they pull shit), but you can get in and out asap. I camped out 2 hours for a 3DS, and let me tell you I was still waiting like 5-10 minutes in line.

I got there about 30 minutes early for the Wii since it was in a closed mall, and waited 5-10 minutes. Then again I was like 3rd in line for my Wii.

I am still praying Gamestop.com doesn't fuck me over. I mean since Rayman Legends got delayed I am not in a rush to get one but it would be nice to have the security of owning one.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Being at gamestop for 3 Nintendo Launches (DS, 3DS and Wii) your best bet is to get there at least 2 hours early (depending on area), and just camp there. This way you are not only guaranteed a console (incase they pull shit), but you can get in and out asap. I camped out 2 hours for a 3DS, and let me tell you I was still waiting like 5-10 minutes in line.

I got there about 30 minutes early for the Wii since it was in a closed mall, and waited 5-10 minutes. Then again I was like 3rd in line for my Wii.

I am still praying Gamestop.com doesn't fuck me over. I mean since Rayman Legends got delayed I am not in a rush to get one but it would be nice to have the security of owning one.[/QUOTE]

even thou mine is paid off and my games are all paid off, i will be there at 6pm just waiting, and thnk god there is a subway in the plaza gamestop is in. because i intend to secure mine.

[quote name='anthroskull']even thou mine is paid off and my games are all paid off, i will be there at 6pm just waiting, and thnk god there is a subway in the plaza gamestop is in. because i intend to secure mine.[/QUOTE]
It's the best thing to do IMO. Plus I mean yeah your waiting a few hours but knowing you will be one of the early few in line to pick yours up will be worth it. I am sure GS will get enough consoles in but if they don't, it's best to be upfront to avoid any problems that will arise.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Being at gamestop for 3 Nintendo Launches (DS, 3DS and Wii) your best bet is to get there at least 2 hours early (depending on area), and just camp there. This way you are not only guaranteed a console (incase they pull shit), but you can get in and out asap. I camped out 2 hours for a 3DS, and let me tell you I was still waiting like 5-10 minutes in line.

I am still praying Gamestop.com doesn't fuck me over. I mean since Rayman Legends got delayed I am not in a rush to get one but it would be nice to have the security of owning one.[/QUOTE]

Thats good to know. So ill be at mine at 7am with a thermos of some coffee watch the madness. At my location they told me they cut off preorders at 19, 18 of those where the deluxe versions. So I dont mind the couple hour waiting to make sure i dont become a Gamestop horror story. Ive never done a console launch so this will be most interesting. Has anyone whos attended one sit back and talk with the other new owners or do you just head straight home and set that puppy up?

[quote name='JUSTSULTAN']Thats good to know. So ill be at mine at 7am with a thermos of some coffee watch the madness. At my location they told me they cut off preorders at 19, 18 of those where the deluxe versions. So I dont mind the couple hour waiting to make sure i dont become a Gamestop horror story. Ive never done a console launch so this will be most interesting. Has anyone whos attended one sit back and talk with the other new owners or do you just head straight home and set that puppy up?[/QUOTE]
The wait depends on location and area. A bigger more crowded gamestop I would consider getting there a bit earlier, but a smaller one, you should be fine. I don't talk to anyone unless it's in line waiting for the store to open. I want to eliminate as much chance as possible of someone coming up to me and jacking my system.

I dont believe they ever did a waitlist for those 3 consoles. So I dont think you'd be able to do that.

[quote name='JUSTSULTAN']Well i was able to pay off my deluxe. According to my Gamestop guy i was the second to have it paid off. I mentioned that all i wanted to was come in and pick everything up and be out of there. He said "it would be nece" then went on to tell me that majority of people are are going to come in with stacks of games day of and cause even longer waits, not to mention those who didnt preorder waiting for their games to trade and walk ins! Its going to be bananas put i cant wait. [/QUOTE]

All of the Gamestops where I go have you pay/trade as soon as you get there (after 10PM, for midnight launches) and then you just wait in line with your receipt which is numbered, and you get the corresponding numbered bundle with all your stuff. A line of 50+ people usually blows through in 15 minutes or less.

Well if Bestbuy sends me an email im sitting tight on launch day. Store opens at 10, ill show up at 11. Walk up to instore pickup and leave.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']The wait depends on location and area. A bigger more crowded gamestop I would consider getting there a bit earlier, but a smaller one, you should be fine. I don't talk to anyone unless it's in line waiting for the store to open. I want to eliminate as much chance as possible of someone coming up to me and jacking my system.[/QUOTE]

Well i guess ill get there at 6 am and wait in the car til i see some people roll up. Guess ill be needing a chair and a blanket cuz itll be cold as hell that early in Colorado, our mornings and nights are 32 f now so i know in November it will be torture! And why on earth would you so willing to risk a felony or worse for an electronic? I just dont get it...

[quote name='FatherChesz']All of the Gamestops where I go have you pay/trade as soon as you get there (after 10PM, for midnight launches) and then you just wait in line with your receipt which is numbered, and you get the corresponding numbered bundle with all your stuff. A line of 50+ people usually blows through in 15 minutes or less.[/QUOTE]
My gamestops are the exact opposite. The 3DS launch was you pay at the time of release and it was a pain in the ass. Luckily I was like 6-7th in line and this was because there were about 2-3 people camped out since 4PM. The store was open though so we didn't have to wait outside.

Also I forget what launch it was but I remember someone on CAG getting mugged for their console. It could happen, and well it's not totally hard to do in a big open parking lot. Someone would jack it and ebay it for money. That reminds me, Gamestop.com better ship UPS and not USPS. Last time I had USPS they were fucking idiots and delivered my package but left it outside in the fucking rain instead of opening my porch door and putting it in there.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']My gamestops are the exact opposite. The 3DS launch was you pay at the time of release and it was a pain in the ass. Luckily I was like 6-7th in line and this was because there were about 2-3 people camped out since 4PM. The store was open though so we didn't have to wait outside.

Also I forget what launch it was but I remember someone on CAG getting mugged for their console. It could happen, and well it's not totally hard to do in a big open parking lot. Someone would jack it and ebay it for money.[/QUOTE]

Wow, really? Every GameStop preorder I've ever done has had you trade-in/pay in advance and wait in line with a receipt. I'd be pissed if someone was trading in dozens of games before me at a midnight launch.

I'm still on the fence about waiting in line for the mugging reason...not the greatest neighborhood for my GS.

[quote name='KanYozakura']Wow, really? Every GameStop preorder I've ever done has had you trade-in/pay in advance and wait in line with a receipt. I'd be pissed if someone was trading in dozens of games before me at a midnight launch.[/QUOTE]
I think they might have done that for the 3DS but I know Wii and DS were pay right at the time of when you get up to the counter, not beforehand because I remember paying for the DS right at launch and well while my Wii was paid off, other people paying on the spot.

I did my 3DS pre-order through Best Buy as an in-store pickup. I got the pickup email the day before it launched... and walked right in and picked it up, no hassle and no wait.

I imagine the GS's around here will do the normal pre-pay/wait for midnight thing as always. I might go, depending on how cold it should get/how many people are expected to be there, but I know that my Best Buy should definitely not be having a midnight launch. They only do shooters and I don't think they're even doing Halo this year. So I'll probably go to the GS at midnight, and get my backup console first, and then hit BB first thing that morning. If I get the BB console (which I'm kind of positive about), I'll sell my console to a buddy, but at least I'll have that backup.

If both of those fail me, please let GS.com be a sure thing.

[quote name='NoMeDigas']I did my 3DS pre-order through Best Buy as an in-store pickup. I got the pickup email the day before it launched... and walked right in and picked it up, no hassle and no wait.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, apparently some peoples wii u preorders say backordered. So I assume by now the ones that still say in process are likely to get that email.

Just traded in Forza 4, Halo CE and Mario Kart 7 at GS for $70.50. Put it down towards my Wii U preorder. I wanted to ask, would it be better to pick up my preorder in the afternoon of the 18th? I want to avoid the crowds.

[quote name='gamerguy73']Just traded in Forza 4, Halo CE and Mario Kart 7 at GS for $70.50. Put it down towards my Wii U preorder. I wanted to ask, would it be better to pick up my preorder in the afternoon of the 18th? I want to avoid the crowds.[/QUOTE]

I would choose either the midnight release, or early afternoon. At a midnight release, the employees want to go home just as much as you do. As an SM for Gamestop, I worked the midnight release, got home around 2AM, and typically had an early open the next day - opening the store at 9AM. So I had to be there at 7:30AM. Depending on the Gamestop, they most likely are doing this same thing. Again, we want to get out of there. Come between 10PM and 11:45, finalize your purchase by paying off the difference, and then get your system at midnight and go home. If you come before 11:45, I would have you out of there by 12:15. The idea being that all you need to do at midnight is get your system. No transaction on a register.

Now if you come the next day, you will have to go to a register, no matter what. Most Gamestops have 2 registers, so you could have a bottleneck there should both registers have customers with trades, and a line behind them. That usually happens on a release date the moment we open at 9 or 10AM, and when school/work let out, between 3PM and 6PM. Plus I would anticipate a lot more walk-in customers bothering the clerks about how they can't find a Wii-U anywhere, and customers who want to buy accessories and games after they got their Wii-U elsewhere on launch day or at midnight - Many people regret not picking up something with their system until they get it home, or parents who need help setting things up, or just want to gain some knowledge about their new system and so forth. So there will be a lot of distraction within the store on launch day.

If your Gamestop is known for managing midnight releases well, go at midnight.

If mine is doing the midnight thing I'll get there at 11:30. I'm not waiting in any multi-hour lines. That was the whole reason for preordering ;). If they aren't doing a midnight release (likely for this store), I'll roll in around 11 or 12 the next day. Some of you guys seem to enjoy the line waiting thing. Maybe it's an age thing but I can't stand waiting around for anything any more. I almost went nuts at PAX having to wait 2 hours so my son could play Halo 4. At least there I did have the 3DS and all the street passes I could handle so I had something to do. I wouldn't expect the same at a Wii U line full of mostly resellers.

And it is my plan to go in beforehand and pay the rest of it off. I see no reason to mess around with that on the release day and I already have credit sitting on a card in a drawer so there's nothing out of pocket for me to pay it off at this point.

[quote name='shrinky215']I would choose either the midnight release, or early afternoon. At a midnight release, the employees want to go home just as much as you do. As an SM for Gamestop, I worked the midnight release, got home around 2AM, and typically had an early open the next day - opening the store at 9AM. So I had to be there at 7:30AM. Depending on the Gamestop, they most likely are doing this same thing. Again, we want to get out of there. Come between 10PM and 11:45, finalize your purchase by paying off the difference, and then get your system at midnight and go home. If you come before 11:45, I would have you out of there by 12:15. The idea being that all you need to do at midnight is get your system. No transaction on a register.

Now if you come the next day, you will have to go to a register, no matter what. Most Gamestops have 2 registers, so you could have a bottleneck there should both registers have customers with trades, and a line behind them. That usually happens on a release date the moment we open at 9 or 10AM, and when school/work let out, between 3PM and 6PM. Plus I would anticipate a lot more walk-in customers bothering the clerks about how they can't find a Wii-U anywhere, and customers who want to buy accessories and games after they got their Wii-U elsewhere on launch day or at midnight - Many people regret not picking up something with their system until they get it home, or parents who need help setting things up, or just want to gain some knowledge about their new system and so forth. So there will be a lot of distraction within the store on launch day.

If your Gamestop is known for managing midnight releases well, go at midnight.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.

[quote name='io']If mine is doing the midnight thing I'll get there at 11:30. I'm not waiting in any multi-hour lines. That was the whole reason for preordering ;). If they aren't doing a midnight release (likely for this store), I'll roll in around 11 or 12 the next day. Some of you guys seem to enjoy the line waiting thing. Maybe it's an age thing but I can't stand waiting around for anything any more. I almost went nuts at PAX having to wait 2 hours so my son could play Halo 4. At least there I did have the 3DS and all the street passes I could handle so I had something to do. I wouldn't expect the same at a Wii U line full of mostly resellers.

And it is my plan to go in beforehand and pay the rest of it off. I see no reason to mess around with that on the release day and I already have credit sitting on a card in a drawer so there's nothing out of pocket for me to pay it off at this point.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info io.

On a few occasions, I have seen people camping out from before the store even closes. Not sure why people stand in those boring line for 3+ hours, you can just roll in right at 11:50 and be out of there in less than 20 minutes. Even our Halo Reach line had like 100+ people, and was done by 12:20

If you go to pick up your pre-order and they hand you a damaged box (smashed on the edges), will they give you another one, if you don't want it? I have never pre-ordered anything before.

[quote name='Wii Got U']If you go to pick up your pre-order and they hand you a damaged box (smashed on the edges), will they give you another one, if you don't want it? I have never pre-ordered anything before.[/QUOTE]

Nintendo ships to stores using really high quality packaging. Xboxes came in the worst shipping material, and then Sony was in the middle. In the case of the Wii-U, if your take-home box is damaged, then it would be from the store employees doing some damage to it, not shipping.

This gets more complicated if you are getting your console at midnight from Gamestop, which I can explain if you need?

[quote name='shrinky215']Nintendo ships to stores using really high quality packaging. Xboxes came in the worst shipping material, and then Sony was in the middle. In the case of the Wii-U, if your take-home box is damaged, then it would be from the store employees doing some damage to it, not shipping.

This gets more complicated if you are getting your console at midnight from Gamestop, which I can explain if you need?[/QUOTE]

Can you explain about Gamestop? I read somewhere that GS stores their consoles in their bathrooms.

Thanks

Anyone have a definitive answer on how in-store preorders will work with Bby? I put down my $5 as soon as I could, but I'm getting antsy as to how they will deal with an order like mine.

[quote name='Wii Got U']Can you explain about Gamestop?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Let's say you arrive at 11:30, as we want you there to finalize things before midnight. When we finalize your transaction, we are ringing up your Wii-U, so we need the serial number at that time. MOST LIKELY, your Wii-U will not be staring at you in the face from behind the counter. It will be out of sight, in another room, etc. So we keep a list of serial numbers up front to ring you up with, and therefore will have no idea how each box looks, which one might happen to be sitting on the bottom of a pile with 10 other boxes on top. We'll just ring up whichever one is next on the list.

Basically, at that point is when you want to ask if they can take a look at the individual systems and that you want one in the best condition. Let them know you don't want one on the bottom of the pile. Just don't be the last person to pick up your Wii-U! Typically this would be later on launch day or the day after, so you shouldn't have to worry at midnight.

This might seem like too specific of a request, but I have had damaged 360 and 3DS boxes, including limited edition Call of Duty 360's or the Zelda 3ds. So it can be a concern if you care about such things.

[quote name='shrinky215']Let's say you arrive at 11:30, as we want you there to finalize things before midnight. When we finalize your transaction, we are ringing up your Wii-U, so we need the serial number at that time. MOST LIKELY, your Wii-U will not be staring at you in the face from behind the counter. It will be out of sight, in another room, etc. So we keep a list of serial numbers up front to ring you up with, and therefore will have no idea how each box looks, which one might happen to be sitting on the bottom of a pile with 10 other boxes on top. We'll just ring up whichever one is next on the list.

Basically, at that point is when you want to ask if they can take a look at the individual systems and that you want one in the best condition. Let them know you don't want one on the bottom of the pile. Just don't be the last person to pick up your Wii-U! Typically this would be later on launch day or the day after, so you shouldn't have to worry at midnight.

This might seem like too specific of a request, but I have had damaged 360 and 3DS boxes, including limited edition Call of Duty 360's or the Zelda 3ds. So it can be a concern if you care about such things.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Anytime I buy something I look at the condition of the box before purchasing. That way you can tell if the product was mishandled.

[quote name='Wii Got U']I read somewhere that GS stores their consoles in their bathrooms.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Haha. I have no idea what you're talking about! ;)

I don't understand why you would wait in line if you already have a pre-order in at GS. It's not like they are going to sell your pre-order. That's the whole point of pre-ordering, isn't it? I can wait until more reasonable hours.

[quote name='klimb22']I don't understand why you would wait in line if you already have a pre-order in at GS. It's not like they are going to sell your pre-order. That's the whole point of pre-ordering, isn't it? I can wait until more reasonable hours.[/QUOTE]

Some people just have nothing better to do. My girlfriend's brother used to go to concerts hours before and wait in front of the building. Granted, he had an off-chance to meet someone in the bands. Earliest I get to a GS for a midnight launch is 10:30 and that's when I can't find something to hold my interest. I'll go and listen to my iPod or something usually.

[quote name='klimb22']I don't understand why you would wait in line if you already have a pre-order in at GS. It's not like they are going to sell your pre-order. That's the whole point of pre-ordering, isn't it? I can wait until more reasonable hours.[/QUOTE]

People are crazy. Just call the day before and make sure everyone who preordered will get their system. This isnt 2005 with the 360. The wii and ps3 launches went smoothly so no reason to worry in 2012.

The problem is that nobody really knows what demand is going to be like or how individual stores are going to handle preorders. In theory, Gamestop should have enough to cover preorders and distribute them in the order they were preordered. Unfortunately, if they don't get enough units or the store manager decides to go rogue and help his best customers out first, you might not get your unit on launch day. A preorder is not a guarantee as some of us found with the Wii.

[quote name='soxxx']People are crazy. Just call the day before and make sure everyone who preordered will get their system. This isnt 2005 with the 360. The wii and ps3 launches went smoothly so no reason to worry in 2012.[/QUOTE]

I can firmly state the Wii launch did not go smoothly and many GS locations were short. I ended up getting one at Target, but please don't make it sound as if nothing can go wrong. Unless Nintendo has a ton of these available for retailers on day one, there can and will be problems.

I agree. My best console launch experience was preordering the 3DS. I had it paid in full well in advance, and on the day of release I slept in, had brunch with my wife, then casually strolled into the store in the early afternoon to get my system. No fuss.

I did the same thing with the Big Boss edition PSP, and it was particularly funny watching people go nuts online all day trying to find one, while I strolled in at 7 pm to grab mine.

[quote name='soxxx']Theyve been selling video games for over 10 years. Everyone just forgets espcially for preorders.[/QUOTE]

I just came back from an FYE store. I put down $50 and am currently 9th on their list for the deluxe. They have another 2 for the basic so 11th overall. The 2 employees there told me they still don't know their allocations and will call us as soon as they find out. On my receipt it says "Wave 2" so I'm a bit concerned about that. When I asked about it, they said it doesn't mean anything until they find out. They think they will get 10 deluxe consoles, but I sort of doubt it. :roll:

[quote name='bojay1997']I can firmly state the Wii launch did not go smoothly and many GS locations were short. I ended up getting one at Target, but please don't make it sound as if nothing can go wrong. Unless Nintendo has a ton of these available for retailers on day one, there can and will be problems.[/QUOTE]

Right, but if you call the day before as soxxx suggested they ought to have their systems already and should be able to tell you at that point if a preorder is safe. Sure, right now they can't guarantee that - but the day before the launch they should be able to. And even if, for some reason, Nintendo shorts them like crazy and they don't have enough, I'm sure they'll get the next shipment to preorder holders. I'll be fairly disappointed if I don't get one on launch day (especially as I was the first customer to preorder at my local GS) but as long as I get one within a few weeks and don't have to deal with camping out or stalking stores I'll be OK with it in the end.

And FWIW, the Wii and PS3 launched went just fine for me at least - got my preordered systems on day 1 just as promised from Gamestop.

[quote name='bojay1997']The problem is that nobody really knows what demand is going to be like or how individual stores are going to handle preorders. In theory, Gamestop should have enough to cover preorders and distribute them in the order they were preordered. Unfortunately, if they don't get enough units or the store manager decides to go rogue and help his best customers out first, you might not get your unit on launch day. A preorder is not a guarantee as some of us found with the Wii.[/QUOTE]
I guess you're right in that they can't control the supply coming from Nintendo. Just look at the iPhone situation. Either way I'm not standing outside in the cold for anything like this...or iPhones, Jordans, etc.

Even if everything goes according to plan, such as your system being 1000% YOURS, no evil manager going rogue or Nintendo not sending out enough systems, etc. And even if you don't care about the "launch party" or being around like-minded gamers - there is still reason to be there, in line, for midnight.

You say "reasonable hours," and I'd argue, at my store, being there at 11:45PM for the midnight release could very well be the most reasonable use of your time (provided you aren't usually in bed). You will be in and out in 15-30 minutes, and you will have the lowest pressure sale as I want to go home ASAP and don't have time for the upsell (plus I let the launch atmosphere do my selling). I can't guarantee you that any other time in the following 48 hours. If I have trades clogging a register, 1 person on the floor, or other customer issues, you could be standing around for longer. This depends on the store, but my midnight releases are like clockwork. I don't do any other business besides whatever is being launched, and I don't let craziness happen right at midnight.

[quote name='rayfrombk']I just came back from an FYE store. I put down $50 and am currently 9th on their list for the deluxe. They have another 2 for the basic so 11th overall. The 2 employees there told me they still don't know their allocations and will call us as soon as they find out. On my receipt it says "Wave 2" so I'm a bit concerned about that. When I asked about it, they said it doesn't mean anything until they find out. They think they will get 10 deluxe consoles, but I sort of doubt it. :roll:[/QUOTE]

Good luck, hope you get it launch day.

[quote name='bojay1997']I can firmly state the Wii launch did not go smoothly and many GS locations were short. I ended up getting one at Target, but please don't make it sound as if nothing can go wrong. Unless Nintendo has a ton of these available for retailers on day one, there can and will be problems.[/QUOTE]

Can you share your story? i am interested actually because i dont recall many problems at all.

The 360 stores took 100s of preorders and only recieved 10 or so.

Gamestop managers had to call 100s of people that they would be backordered a couple days before the 360 launch. It wasnt good.

[quote name='soxxx']Can you share your story? i am interested actually because i dont recall many problems at all.

The 360 stores took 100s of preorders and only recieved 10 or so.[/QUOTE]

I'm curious too. My store was allocated a certain number of Wii in Sept/October. We actually had a line just to preorder your Wii one morning in Sept/October, which is what I expected for Wii-U, and was surprised GS just took as many orders as it could throughout a couple of days.

[quote name='shrinky215']I'm curious too. My store was allocated a certain number of Wii in Sept/October. We actually had a line just to preorder your Wii one morning in Sept/October, which is what I expected for Wii-U, and was surprised GS just took as many orders as it could throughout a couple of days.[/QUOTE]

yeah gamestops set a preorder day in stone and hyped it for a week. Gamestops knew how many they were recieving in mid october and there was never any major problems like the 360.

[quote name='shrinky215']Even if everything goes according to plan, such as your system being 1000% YOURS, no evil manager going rogue or Nintendo not sending out enough systems, etc. And even if you don't care about the "launch party" or being around like-minded gamers - there is still reason to be there, in line, for midnight.

You say "reasonable hours," and I'd argue, at my store, being there at 11:45PM for the midnight release could very well be the most reasonable use of your time (provided you aren't usually in bed). You will be in and out in 15-30 minutes, and you will have the lowest pressure sale as I want to go home ASAP and don't have time for the upsell (plus I let the launch atmosphere do my selling.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I absolutely agree with this. On top of all of that, I'm a night person, so it is much much more preferable for me to go in at midnight than at opening the next day! Plus I like being able to go home and hook up the system and have it to myself that first night (rest of the family will be asleep). Then I can show it to them in the morning (or more likely early afternoon since I'd probably be up till 4 or 5 ;)) all hooked up and ready to go.

It is fully my intention to go in there at 11:30 or so if they do the midnight launch. I'm just not sure every store will do that if they only have 10 preorders and that is all the systems they are getting. Do we have any confirmation that GS is doing this? If so, is it system-wide or up to the store manager?

[quote name='soxxx']Can you share your story? i am interested actually because i dont recall many problems at all.

The 360 stores took 100s of preorders and only recieved 10 or so.[/QUOTE]

Sure, I preordered a Wii pretty early on at a Gamestop near where I lived in San Diego and was promised up and down by the manager that they would have plenty on launch day to cover preorders. He even was saying that the week before when I stopped in.

On launch day, I showed up right at store opening and joined the line of maybe 10 people waiting only to learn once the door opened that they only received four. The manager basically distributed to the first four people in line and told the rest of us that they would call us when the next batch came in a few weeks later. Needless to say, I didn't get my Wii on launch day and got very lucky that a Target location down the street got a second batch the week after launch. The Gamestop finally called me three weeks later saying my console was in, but I cancelled as I felt lied to.

I had several friends who preordered at other GS locations and had the same experience. All I'm saying is that nothing is guaranteed and making fun of people who line up early even if they have a preorder is pretty naive even though I personally won't do it because being warm and comfortable is far more important to me than another game console.

Bestbuy says nintendo told them the maximum amount of preorders they could take for wii u. I assume Nintendo contacted other stores to.

Also curious. I got a Wii on launch day without any issues at Gamestop, never had a single issue with a console pre-order at Gamestop ever. Infact, in the years I have been shopping there at different locations, I only had 1 issue with a pre-order and it was solved by another store up the street.

Unless your store has constantly screwed you over, I dont see the reason to be worried. Mine already confirmed to me that every pre-order was getting theirs. And considering how long the manager has been here and helps customers, I dont doubt him.

[quote name='soxxx']Gamestop managers had to call 100s of people that they would be backordered a couple days before the 360 launch. It wasnt good.[/QUOTE]
I mean I ordered mine from GS.com. For me I don't care if I get backordered a week or two, that's fine. I am just worried about oh order is now canceled, and I am left in the dust trying to find one of these for months.

I hope GS.com would not but who knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back