Not open for further replies.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
iconamazon.gif
Amazon
Consoles* Amazon did not take preorders, see note.
Games

iconbestbuy.gif
Best Buy
Consoles Both models sold out online & in store
Games

icongs_r1.gif
Gamestop
Games

icontoysrus_r1.gif
Toys R Us
Games

icontarget.gif
Target
Games

iconwalmart_r3.gif
Walmart
Consoles
Wii U Bundle Sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken
Wii U Deluxe Sold out online & in store
Wii U Basic Sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken
Games

Sears
Consoles/Games Deluxe model sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken

kmart.gif
Kmart
Consoles/Games Deluxe model sold out online, in-store pre-orders were not taken

newegg.gif
Newegg
Deluxe Bundle Bundled with New Super Mario Bros U, Black Ops 2, and Zombi U-Out of Stock
Games

iconplayasia.gif
Play-Asia
Consoles/Games Reservation List Only for NTSC Basic & Deluxe models

Fry's Electronics
Consoles Both models sold out online
Games

Staples
Games

J&R
Consoles Both models are no longer available for pre-order at the physical location.
Games

Nebraska Furniture Mart
Accessories
Games

:hot:Nintendo World Store
Consoles: Both models are no longer available for pre-order at the physical location in NYC.

Notes:

• Newegg, as of now (Friday before launch) is selling the deluxe console as a bundle only. It is listed for immediate shipping, not as a pre-order.

• *Amazon email sent out to those who signed up for Wii U pre-order notification:
Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank for you signing up to be notified when the Wii U is available.
Unfortunately the Wii U console is not available at Amazon.com at this time but please check back in the future, as availability may change. We do have the latest Wii U games and accessories available now so check them out. Thank you for shopping with Amazon Video Games.
System Information

YWbCj.png

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AgentSquishy']I have a 24 hour Walmart next to my house so will I be able to go at midnight to pre order the Wii U? I'm not sure how layaway works at Walmart so I don't know if there is someone always there.[/QUOTE]

Check with your local Walmart to see when Layaway opens. Some 24 hour stores have times when layaway is available. If you get there at midnight you just might be in for a long wait. Call and confirm when they open.

[quote name='AgentSquishy']I have a 24 hour Walmart next to my house so will I be able to go at midnight to pre order the Wii U? I'm not sure how layaway works at Walmart so I don't know if there is someone always there.[/QUOTE]
I'd say ask the specific store. I don't remember anyone being in layaway at that time of night/morning, but since the memo specifies the unit going on sale at 12:01 they may be having a special "midnight launch."

The Layaway Department, which is only active during the holiday season, is the same area in the back as In-Store Pickup. The area is usually empty, press the register keypad that says "Push for Ass
ociate". Somebody from the front service desk will walk back to assist you. At 24 hour Walmarts, as far as I know, the front service desk closes by 10 pm and reopens at 8 am. The obvious exceptions would be Black Friday (and Black Saturday), or in this case a console launch. So go to any of your local Walmarts at 8 am on October 14 to the Layaway Department in the back. There will be a line when SD gets a whiff of this.

[quote name='klimb22']You got it. $5 refundable service fee, plus $35.[/QUOTE]

So a a Deluxe Wii U is going to cost $385 plus tax at wal-mart?

[quote name='blueweltall']So a a Deluxe Wii U is going to cost $385 plus tax at wal-mart?[/QUOTE]

No, if I'm reading it correctly the 10% is a down payment towards the item. You'll pay $350 + tax and your $5 goes towards a $5 giftcard to Walmart. We'll have more details when the ad gets posted and people actually see how this is implemented Sunday.

More info about layaway here: http://www.walmart.com/cp/Layaway/1088466 I think it's specific to online, but it gives you an idea of what's going on. I'd say stick with the forum post until Sunday or when the ad gets leaked for info.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='blueweltall']So a a Deluxe Wii U is going to cost $385 plus tax at wal-mart?[/QUOTE]

OMGWTFBBQ, the $35 is towards the layaway of the console.

The down payment for the Wii U goes towards your total cost so your not paying anything extra outside of the $5 fee.

Which you'll get back via Wal-Mart gift card as long as you pay everything off. If you cancel your pre-order you pay a $15 fee AND lose the $5 fee as well.

The $35 goes toward the $350. Not additional. Also, I never talk tax on the net as it doesn't apply to everyone.

I wonder is its wise to also preorder wii u games at the same time? I'll have to search to see if the upc codes for the games are on walmart's website.

[quote name='Gareee']I wonder is its wise to also preorder wii u games at the same time? I'll have to search to see if the upc codes for the games are on walmart's website.[/QUOTE]

No. Only for those who plan on using the console.

We might buy a second to flip, but we DO plan on keeping it. If nothing else, there are a lot of current games that are releasing enhanced editions for the WiiU.

Where the fuck are you guys getting this $5 gift card BS from? I've already rung out several layaways and the customers get their $5 back in the form of not having to pay it if the products' price + tax is paid off.

Ugh, that's depressing about layaway opening at 8 AM. I'll still call my local Walmart to in case it varies from store to store though. I have to be at work on Sunday at 8 AM, so could I get someone to preorder one for me?

[quote name='Nintendonly']Where the fuck are you guys getting this $5 gift card BS from? I've already rung out several layaways and the customers get their $5 back in the form of not having to pay it if the products' price + tax is paid off.[/QUOTE]

Just like the online link and the big freakin signs instore say. There is a $5 fee to open a layaway plan at Walmart. Upon successful payment of ALL the items in layaway prior to December 14 you get your $5 refunded to you on the form of a $5 walmart gift card.

Going to have my deluxe payed off Friday at GameStop ... But tempted to use walmarts layaway to flip one, could probably only but the $35 down and list it on eBay, when it sells pay it off and then ship it.

I went to my local Wally World and a guy in Electronics was allowed to pre-order 4 WII U's and I asked him why. He said one for himself, and 3 for Craigslist or eBay for well over $600.

Will these things really be selling for that much in the secondary market?

[quote name='rightwingjedi']I went to my local Wally World and a guy in Electronics was allowed to pre-order 4 WII U's and I asked him why. He said one for himself, and 3 for Craigslist or eBay for well over $600.

Will these things really be selling for that much in the secondary market?[/QUOTE]

Right now there's several eBay auctions that've sold for $450 to $550. As the release date draws closer the hype could push the price over $600.

[quote name='rightwingjedi']I went to my local Wally World and a guy in Electronics was allowed to pre-order 4 WII U's and I asked him why. He said one for himself, and 3 for Craigslist or eBay for well over $600.

Will these things really be selling for that much in the secondary market?[/QUOTE]

It seems like it wasn't all that long ago that the scarce production of the original Wii launched ebay auctions in to the stratosphere during the holidays. It was pretty jarring - I remember seeing a few in the $600-$700 range while half the Targets in my area had them sitting on the shelf. So yeah, this happens. And the more press it gets, the more it happens. This is already getting a bit of press with the 'pre-order' auctions (blech), so once it actually releases expect some craziness.

Now, just for fun: http://www.destructoid.com/worth-it...stal-covered-wii-starts-at-4-000-124349.phtml

[quote name='AgentSquishy']Could I get someone to preorder one for me?[/QUOTE]

Yes. Have that person make you an authorized pick-up name.

Looks like he did it online.

Called my local walmarts all layaway desk are open 9am-9pm for me. Debating how early to get there. I don't think alot of people will know about this but at the same time have a basic pre-ordered for in store pick up at my local BB. I want a deluxe though.... im debating about getting there at 6ish... not too early not to late... I don't wanna cause a line but I don't wanna be late... Anybody think ill be safe?

I just called my local Wal-Mart Electronics to confirm before I head up there to pre order one for my son and they say they have no pre orders anymore.

Do I have to call layaway?

[quote name='greenwolfe7']Called my local walmarts all layaway desk are open 9am-9pm for me. Debating how early to get there. I don't think alot of people will know about this but at the same time have a basic pre-ordered for in store pick up at my local BB. I want a deluxe though.... im debating about getting there at 6ish... not too early not to late... I don't wanna cause a line but I don't wanna be late... Anybody think ill be safe?[/QUOTE]

Most young people don't look at newspapers. You'll be fine. Just go into the store at 8AM (if that's when it opens on Sundays).

[quote name='rightwingjedi']I just called my local Wal-Mart Electronics to confirm before I head up there to pre order one for my son and they say they have no pre orders anymore.

Do I have to call layaway?[/QUOTE]

More than likely the associate you spoke to is thinking about the website, so yes, make sure you speak to a layaway-dedicated associate to get a better answer.
although they may not be much help either, so you may have to ask upper-level management

BTW- Electronics associates are layaway backup.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Most young people don't look at newspapers. You'll be fine. Just go into the store at 8AM (if that's when it opens on Sundays).[/QUOTE]

99% of the year you're correct, but around Black Friday, people will have those Sunday paper inserts all over the kitchen table. Kids will see the toys and games and the family will easily find out all the times.

[quote name='JaylisJayP']99% of the year you're correct, but around Black Friday, people will have those Sunday paper inserts all over the kitchen table. Kids will see the toys and games and the family will easily find out all the times.[/QUOTE]

This isn't taking place on Black Friday. This is taking place on October 14th.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Most young people don't look at newspapers. You'll be fine. Just go into the store at 8AM (if that's when it opens on Sundays).[/QUOTE]

You're kidding yourself. Lots of moms and families coupon and so they do get and read the Sunday paper. There will be plenty of people lining up for this all over the country.

[quote name='bojay1997']You're kidding yourself. Lots of moms and families coupon and so they do get and read the Sunday paper. There will be plenty of people lining up for this all over the country.[/QUOTE]

Lining up for a preorder for a system they perceive that they already have and is being repackaged at a higher pricepoint? You're kidding yourself.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Where the fuck are you guys getting this $5 gift card BS from? I've already rung out several layaways and the customers get their $5 back in the form of not having to pay it if the products' price + tax is paid off.[/QUOTE]
In addition to the several places it states that you'll get it back in the form of a GC, the TOS also says:
"Open fee refund cannot be applied to the layaway balance"

[quote name='madcatz1999']In addition to the several places it states that you'll get it back in the form of a GC, the TOS also says:
"Open fee refund cannot be applied to the layaway balance"[/QUOTE]

Something is totally fudged there, because I've definitely rung out customers who have paid their layaways off and they definitely didn't get a gift card.

Just a head's up on the Fry's regular edition. I ordered mine on Friday and I got the following e-mail today:

Dear ***** :

Thank you for your order. We apologize but the item(s) you
ordered are currently out of stock and we are unable to provide
a definite ship date at this time. However, we continually
receive new merchandise in our warehouse and we hope to fulfill
your order within the next thirty days or sooner if possible.

At this time, your order is still pending and will ship as soon
as the item(s) are in stock. Your order number is ********** .

If you would prefer to cancel, change, or check the status of
your order, you may do so at anytime prior to shipment by
calling customer service at 1-(408)350-1484 or e-mail us at
[email protected]. If you choose to cancel your order
we will provide a full and prompt refund of any charges which
you may have incurred for unshipped items.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for choosing Frys.com

Sincerely,

Frys.com
Customer Service

Tel: 1-408-350-1484
Fax: 1-408-487-4700
E-mail: [email protected]
http://www.outpost.com/entry?site=macs:outpost

[quote name='Plinko']Nintendo issued a statement denying this would have any effect on their launch allocation.[/QUOTE]

I really see the Wii U being very difficult to get no matter what nintendo states. For one thing nintendo wants to up the demand with a small supply to start with without people actually knowing and this will be a good excuse (although hidden one) to do just that. Plus I know China and Japan had trouble having to close japanese factories like mitsumi which makes parts for the wii u. Yet another hidden excuse. People are also realizing that the wii u will in fact be the most powerful console until probably 2014 with new estimates of 720 and PS4 not arriving til 2015. I actually don't think nintendo will be able to produce enough supply even if they wanted to because most everyone will want a Wii U this year. Nintendo is actually in a perfect posistion because they have created a console that will be profitable for them from the start and will be top dog for at least a year and a half and many will want to buy not only 1st party titles but 3rd party titles for the latest greatest console. This will lead to the Wii U getting very tight with developers and by the time 720 and PS4 arrive Nintendo will have had such a jump it will be able to start focusing on it's next system. This big of a lead for nintendo will open up a new series of console wars unlike any we've seen before I'm thinking.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Lining up for a preorder for a system they perceive that they already have and is being repackaged at a higher pricepoint? You're kidding yourself.[/QUOTE]

As a parent myself, I can state pretty clearly that several of the kids my son plays with have already asked their parents for a WiiU for Christmas. The WiiU has been discussed on NPR, in major magazines, on general interest websites and on those tech segments they do on the local news. People definitely know about it and if nothing else, they understand it's a new system from Nintendo. You are totally deluded if you think this isn't going to attract a crowd on Sunday morning, even if it's primarily flippers and profiteers.

[quote name='ps2emotions']I really see the Wii U being very difficult to get no matter what nintendo states. For one thing nintendo wants to up the demand with a small supply to start with without people actually knowing and this will be a good excuse (although hidden one) to do just that. Plus I know China and Japan had trouble having to close japanese factories like mitsumi which makes parts for the wii u. Yet another hidden excuse. People are also realizing that the wii u will in fact be the most powerful console until probably 2014 with new estimates of 720 and PS4 not arriving til 2015. I actually don't think nintendo will be able to produce enough supply even if they wanted to because most everyone will want a Wii U this year. Nintendo is actually in a perfect posistion because they have created a console that will be profitable for them from the start and will be top dog for at least a year and a half and many will want to buy not only 1st party titles but 3rd party titles for the latest greatest console. This will lead to the Wii U getting very tight with developers and by the time 720 and PS4 arrive Nintendo will have had such a jump it will be able to start focusing on it's next system. This big of a lead for nintendo will open up a new series of console wars unlike any we've seen before I'm thinking.[/QUOTE]

ok9wxz.jpg

Nintendo has made very little money this year, and odds are they are kicking as many Wii U units out the door so they can finish the year showing profits.

I personally don't think Nintendo is holding back supply. If they want decent developer support, they need as many consoles in the wild as possible.

I think they learned their lesson from the Wii launch. Launching with a paltry supply would ensure that everything is in high demand, but it also limits the amount of money you can make in any given time period. That's not a plan that many investors can get behind, especially considering the demand has been pretty stellar even prior to the shortage rumors.

I personally don't think that Nintendo purposely limits stock. I think that Nintendo sets a late year launch so they can finish the 4th quarter really strong and spill over into the next year. The limited supply part comes from sticking to their guns on the release date and just not being able to deliver enough product. Fiscally, the strategy of a late year launch before the holidays makes a lot of sense, I just feel they're always late getting their products to production.

From Nintendo's perspective, missing the 2012 holiday season would be suicide, seeing how poorly they've done this year financially and the fact that the new Xbox console will most likely be to market by the 2013 holiday season. If you miss a holiday launch, you might as well delay your launch and explore ways to cut cost and build a launch line up. Besides, I'm sure that Microsoft and Sony's selling point for their next gen consoles will be the fact that it's more powerful and graphically capable than the Wii U. Nintendo, launching first, either has to be established or find a way to fight back. They're picking the easier route, being firmly established.

[quote name='bojay1997']As a parent myself, I can state pretty clearly that several of the kids my son plays with have already asked their parents for a WiiU for Christmas. The WiiU has been discussed on NPR, in major magazines, on general interest websites and on those tech segments they do on the local news. People definitely know about it and if nothing else, they understand it's a new system from Nintendo. You are totally deluded if you think this isn't going to attract a crowd on Sunday morning, even if it's primarily flippers and profiteers.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't automatically make you someone who understands retail. There won't be a line of people waiting to preorder a system.

[quote name='chimpmeister']
ok9wxz.jpg
[/QUOTE]

lol, well, it's not a fantasy of mine but more nintendo's but I hope it turns out to be more than just a fantasy for them. I'm sure Tattoo would agree.

[quote name='Plinko']Nintendo issued a statement denying this would have any effect on their launch allocation.[/QUOTE]

Don't shoot the messenger ;)

Thought it was an interesting article on a console release that is already very limited, and one that some folks here are actively searching for.

[quote name='Nintendonly']That doesn't automatically make you someone who understands retail. There won't be a line of people waiting to preorder a system.[/QUOTE]

No, but I understand modern parents (at least some of whom are gamers themselves) who will do anything they have to in order to make sure their kids get what they want for Christmas. People aren't stupid or oblivious and they will happily line up for a guarantee to get a WiiU at retail in time for Christmas. You can also bet that word will spread here and on Slickdeals and plenty of flippers and resellers will be there to snatch up what they can when the preorder opens just like they have with the other retailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back