Not open for further replies.

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
iconamazon.gif
Amazon
Consoles* Amazon did not take preorders, see note.
Games

iconbestbuy.gif
Best Buy
Consoles Both models sold out online & in store
Games

icongs_r1.gif
Gamestop
Games

icontoysrus_r1.gif
Toys R Us
Games

icontarget.gif
Target
Games

iconwalmart_r3.gif
Walmart
Consoles
Wii U Bundle Sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken
Wii U Deluxe Sold out online & in store
Wii U Basic Sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken
Games

Sears
Consoles/Games Deluxe model sold out online, in store pre-orders were not taken

kmart.gif
Kmart
Consoles/Games Deluxe model sold out online, in-store pre-orders were not taken

newegg.gif
Newegg
Deluxe Bundle Bundled with New Super Mario Bros U, Black Ops 2, and Zombi U-Out of Stock
Games

iconplayasia.gif
Play-Asia
Consoles/Games Reservation List Only for NTSC Basic & Deluxe models

Fry's Electronics
Consoles Both models sold out online
Games

Staples
Games

J&R
Consoles Both models are no longer available for pre-order at the physical location.
Games

Nebraska Furniture Mart
Accessories
Games

:hot:Nintendo World Store
Consoles: Both models are no longer available for pre-order at the physical location in NYC.

Notes:

• Newegg, as of now (Friday before launch) is selling the deluxe console as a bundle only. It is listed for immediate shipping, not as a pre-order.

• *Amazon email sent out to those who signed up for Wii U pre-order notification:
Dear Amazon.com Customer,

Thank for you signing up to be notified when the Wii U is available.
Unfortunately the Wii U console is not available at Amazon.com at this time but please check back in the future, as availability may change. We do have the latest Wii U games and accessories available now so check them out. Thank you for shopping with Amazon Video Games.
System Information

YWbCj.png

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='ps2emotions']Those who fail to look at history is doomed to repeat it.
http://www.mikehulsebus.com/album143-nintendo-wii-camping.htm[/QUOTE]

+1

Demand and exposure right now is low. However, if you remember the XBOX 360, Wii, and PS3 launches, then you remember the hysteria didn't start until the afternoon of launch day, when people who procrastinated finally realized they just couldn't walk into a store and buy one. Prices on on craigslist and ebay took off. Supply and demand will never change, especially for new consoles around the holidays.

[quote name='Nintendonly']That doesn't automatically make you someone who understands retail. There won't be a line of people waiting to preorder a system.[/QUOTE]

Not to preorder a system dummy, to get one in their blasted hands in time for the holidays once it DOES get released on November 18th and later. There were lines for the 360, PS3, and Wii multiple times during the 2005 and 2006 holiday seasons. There were long lines at many stores whenever a retailer announced they'd get more in... even as late as a week before Christmas. The guy you responded to is correct, don't be stupid.

Just a heads up for people talking about Nintendo finishing the 4th Quarter strong. Fiscal year ends March 31 in Japan. So technically they are releasing the Wii U in the 3rd quarter. And they most certainly limit quantities. Nintendo is very good with gimmicks ;P

The whole discussion was about going to Walmart on October 14th to preorder. The dummy here is YOU. Nobody waits in line to PREORDER.

[quote name='gamerguy73']What's the buzz on Zombi U? Is it gonna be any good? What games do you suggest getting for Wii U on launch day?[/QUOTE]

Im picking up
ZombieU
Super Mario
Call of Duty BO2
Pro controller.

From what I have seen Zombie U looks like its going to be great. Im so glad Nintendo is doing M rated games more openly now. Then again I pretty much buy Nintendo for Games Like Animal Crossing and Zelda so we'll see...

[quote name='Nintendonly']My original post for this side-discussion-

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10040918&postcount=2336

If you read greenwolfe's post, he's talking about making it there on time to PREORDER. I assured him there would be no need because people won't be looking in a newspaper for a preorder.[/QUOTE]

I would still make it there early. Take into consideration, we don't know how many Wal-Mart is allowing for pre-order and it will probably be printed all over the Internet on the deals sites and gaming forums by this weekend. I'd say you're still fairly safe, but I definitely wouldn't risk it.

I'm debating going myself to see if I can get a Deluxe.

[quote name='Paladinion']Im picking up
ZombieU
Super Mario
Call of Duty BO2
Pro controller.

From what I have seen Zombie U looks like its going to be great. Im so glad Nintendo is doing M rated games more openly now. Then again I pretty much buy Nintendo for Games Like Animal Crossing and Zelda so we'll see...[/QUOTE]

Cool, I think I'll pick up Zombi U and the pro controller. And of course, New Super Mario. And I'm looking forward to Nintendo games like Mario Kart, Metroid, Animal Crossing and maybe Zelda.

[quote name='Paladinion']Im picking up
ZombieU
Super Mario
Call of Duty BO2
Pro controller.

From what I have seen Zombie U looks like its going to be great. Im so glad Nintendo is doing M rated games more openly now. Then again I pretty much buy Nintendo for Games Like Animal Crossing and Zelda so we'll see...[/QUOTE]

Nintendo isn't making/publishing/developing Zombi U, and the game might go multiplatform.

It also looks like a generic turd.

Thanks for the head up, will head to Walmart early in the morning. During the Wii launch, waited in line at a Toys r Us for 4 hours to grab a preorder. Didn't happen :/ Hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Frys has taken the Wii U Basic off the online catalog. I also received this email this morning:

Dear DANIEL :

Thank you for your order. We apologize but the item(s) you
ordered are currently out of stock and we are unable to provide
a definite ship date at this time. However, we continually
receive new merchandise in our warehouse and we hope to fulfill
your order within the next thirty days or sooner if possible.

At this time, your order is still pending and will ship as soon
as the item(s) are in stock. Your order number is ############ .

If you would prefer to cancel, change, or check the status of
your order, you may do so at anytime prior to shipment by
calling customer service at 1-(408)350-1484 or e-mail us at
[email protected]. If you choose to cancel your order
we will provide a full and prompt refund of any charges which
you may have incurred for unshipped items.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you for choosing Frys.com

Sincerely,

Frys.com
Customer Service

I guess we will have to wait and see what happens with the Frys orders. When I track it on my account it just lists the transaction as backordered.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Nintendo isn't making/publishing/developing Zombi U, and the game might go multiplatform.

It also looks like a generic turd.[/QUOTE]

Ok, Zombi U is fired! lol

If Zombi U goes multi-plat it won't be for months and months. Also if a third party can make a good Wii U game that fully uses the gamepad, even if its a big one like Ubisoft, I think thats a positive, not a negative.

[quote name='Nintendonly']The whole discussion was about going to Walmart on October 14th to preorder. The dummy here is YOU. Nobody waits in line to PREORDER.[/QUOTE]
Not quite nobody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32C2yqUkmwk (Some are tickle me Elmo, but still)

This is for EB Games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eYOv-9ePtc

And in text format for good measure: http://www.joystiq.com/2006/10/13/we-wait-for-wii-bible-belt-edition/.

Bottom line, there's now way to tell how many people will wait to preorder the Wii U. People do wait in line to preorder though.

[quote name='Nintendonly']The whole discussion was about going to Walmart on October 14th to preorder. The dummy here is YOU. Nobody waits in line to PREORDER.[/QUOTE]

I guess your the dummy, case in point the videos that Dr. Dib put out. If I remember correctly most if not all GS sold out of pre-orders in the first few hours with plenty of people waiting in line for that.

[quote name='Nintendonly']Most young people don't look at newspapers. You'll be fine. Just go into the store at 8AM (if that's when it opens on Sundays).[/QUOTE]

Absolutely awful advice of the worst kind.
If there are 10 people in the layaway line at 8 am,
and that store has been allocated 10 layaway Wii U's,
then that person has blown his last good easy chance.
I suggest at least 2-3 hours before layaway opens.

[quote name='gordojones88']Absolutely awful advice of the worst kind.
If there are 10 people in the layaway line at 8 am,
and that store has been allocated 10 layaway Wii U's,
then that person has blown his last good easy chance.
I suggest at least 2-3 hours before layaway opens.[/QUOTE]

I think most people have figured out to ignore nintendonly's advice.

This wii launch should be a lot of fun. I just wish there was a fire emblem game. The wiiU controller would be awesome for it.

[quote name='ps2emotions']
People are also realizing that the wii u will in fact be the most powerful console until probably 2014 with new estimates of 720 and PS4 not arriving til 2015.

I actually don't think nintendo will be able to produce enough supply even if they wanted to because most everyone will want a Wii U this year. [/QUOTE]

NextBox720 will launch by November 2013.

Wii U might have a little bit more power than PS360,
but that power is being used to drive the hi-res tablet screen,
so the TV graphics are pretty much the same as the current PS360.

No console manufacturer can make enough consoles to meet the initial holiday demand.

I'm actually pretty excited by the Wii U and hope Nintendo hits a home run with this one. Zombie U looks good. Mario should be great. Rayman should be awesome. Smash Bros, Bayonetta, etc. all eventual releases. I'm more excited for this than I was for the Wii (but not as much as for the gamecube - was all about Smash Bros Melee). Good sign the preorders sold out.

Watching the coverage on them makes me wonder how crazy it will get compared to the original Wii. One thing I don't understand is how people are already listing it on eBay. I saw the kotaku and other articles, but ebay doesn't let people list stuff before 30 days until it comes out. The people do have actual listings for the Wii U and not bogus random things, so I don't know how they sneak under the radar.

I wonder how it will be in a week or so when it hits the under 30 day mark.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']Anybody hear if Gamestops anywhere are doing midnight launches?[/QUOTE]
Since they do midnight launches for things like Mass Effect 3, I would think it's a fairly safe bet they're going to. There's also a countdown on the Gamestop webpage counting down to launch, ending at midnight eastern time (it even accounts for daylight savings time!), so that would also point to yes.

[quote name='FaintDeftone']Anybody hear if Gamestops anywhere are doing midnight launches?[/QUOTE]

The store manager at the store I preordered at (Cerritos, CA), mentioned they likely wouldn't do a midnight launch, but they may open a few hours early on release day.

[quote name='madcatz1999']Since they do midnight launches for things like Mass Effect 3, I would think it's a fairly safe bet they're going to. There's also a countdown on the Gamestop webpage counting down to launch, ending at midnight eastern time (it even accounts for daylight savings time!), so that would also point to yes.[/QUOTE]

BUT, and I mentioned this before, if they only have 6 or 12 or however many preorders, is it really worth it for them to do a midnight launch? With Mass Effect 3, Halo 4, etc, they may get dozens (or hundreds I've heard at some stores) picking up those games. With the super-limited Wii U preorders it might simply not be worth it. Now, they did it last time for the Wii on similairly limited preorder numbers, so we'll see. But that would be the reason for them not to bother.

Went to a different Walmart today to pick up ship to store order. Girl helping was a cs manager. Talked to her about the wii-u layaway and she said she was the only only associate that handled layaway during the day but was off this Sunday and electronics was the backup. Also said layaway was technically available 24 hours a day and that I could come in at midnight Saturday and do the pre-order. I asked if they weren't expecting a big crowd and would have an associate doing nothing but layaway and she said no. So it seems like Walmart doesn't expect a crush of people to preorder. I wonder if this will be in ad. Otherwise the only folks that may know about are cags/sd/fw etc

Hopefully I'll still be able to pre-order/layaway at Wal-Mart on Monday. I'm going to be out of town this weekend, and I imagine layaway items can't transfer between stores...

[quote name='gordojones88']NextBox720 will launch by November 2013.

No console manufacturer can make enough consoles to meet the initial holiday demand.[/QUOTE]

The Wii U is going to be interesting in this respect. I think we're going to see a lot of developers struggling with optimizing games for the Wii U because of the tablet and having to split the horsepower between two screens. The real limiting factor for the Wii U is going to be the CPU, imo. They're putting a fairly modern GPU in it, which will help it keep up with the 720/PS4 graphically, but I have a feeling the CPU is going to cripple it a bit in the long run. Something tells me it's not going to be able to keep up with the AI and physics that we'll see in 720/PS4 games.

Honestly, I hope that most developers stick to running games natively in 720p and try to hit 60fps rather than trying to force 1080p on the system. It's just not going to have enough power to run games at a playable frame rate at that resolution, especially when they start trying to enable environmental effects. At very least, I hope that this new generation of consoles offers the option to play the game natively at 720p or 1080p, instead of running everything at 1080p and letting our TVs downscale. I'll take 720p at a locked 60fps over 1080p running at whatever anyday. No blur vs resolution...I'll take no blur.

I live in the middle of nowhere and on the day preorders opened for the Wii, I arrived at the Gamestop in the mall an hour before opening to be the 10th person in line. They were only accepting 20 preorders, which were filled 20 minutes before the store even opened.

I walked into a slightly more remote Gamestop in the late afternoon on the day Wii U preorders opened, and had no problem securing the 32GB system. Strange.

I just got off the phone with my local 24 hour Walmart and this is going to be ugly. The person in layaway that I spoke to said they received the memo on the Wii U presale and that each store will get as many as are presold. When I mentioned that preorders at other stores are sold out and the system will be pretty limited, she said they will fill as many as they get, even if its 100. She didn't seem too concerned about them taking too many presales.

Either Nintendo has struck a magical deal with Walmart or there is going to be a lot of pissed off people come late November.

[quote name='ch2423']I just got off the phone with my local 24 hour Walmart and this is going to be ugly. The person in layaway that I spoke to said they received the memo on the Wii U presale and that each store will get as many as are presold. When I mentioned that preorders at other stores are sold out and the system will be pretty limited, she said they will fill as many as they get, even if its 100. She didn't seem too concerned about them taking too many presales.

Either Nintendo has struck a magical deal with Walmart or there is going to be a lot of pissed off people come late November.[/QUOTE]

Rule of thumb: Walmart employees don't know shit.

I should know; I'm one of them!

[quote name='Nintendonly']Rule of thumb: Walmart employees don't know shit.

I should know; I'm one of them![/QUOTE]

Same here nintendonly, it all depends on who u talk too, i generally tell anybody i talk to about the wii u since this presale for it, get there early, because walmart and cut the preorders off at any time

[quote name='ch2423']Either Nintendo has struck a magical deal with Walmart or there is going to be a lot of pissed off people come late November.[/QUOTE]

I think the disconnect in the memo is when Walmart directs employees to tell the customer that their Wii U will be ready for pickup on the 18th. I have no doubt that they could probably fill all their preorders before Christmas, but I'm doubting they're going to have enough for launch day.

Then again, the last thing I read said that Nintendo was going to have 7.5mil consoles worldwide for launch. I thought it was only supposed to be 3.5. I wonder if North America is still getting 1.5mil "by the end of the year" or if that number has increased...

I am from SoCAL. Hardly any Walmarts here in Los Angeles, but I've heard this story about the Lancaster Walmart having it closed down during the Wii launch. What happened is, there were people in line in the electronics section waiting for midnight to get the Wii. during the evening, one of the employees said the line has to be outside (without organizing it to have people stay in the same order, didn't understand apparently that some of the people in line have been there for HOURS). A stampede broke loose towards the front of the store and a few people were trampled.

My assumption about Walmart(even if I do not shop there often enough) is preorders and the launch day will not be organized well as employees in Walmart aren't trained or informed enough by corporate to organize hyped up video game launches.

[quote name='gordojones88']NextBox720 will launch by November 2013.

No console manufacturer can make enough consoles to meet the initial holiday demand.[/QUOTE]

are you an idiot, or did you just start following video games during the past week? what indication other than your obviously addled brain do you have that leads you to believe that microsoft will be launching its next console by next year? they've made zero announcements yet, no one has seen or heard anything about it, and the soonest you'd see a reveal would be next summer, giving everyone only a few months to hear about it.

if they were to announce their new console at next e3, the soonest it'd be released would probably be 2014.

[quote name='FatherChesz']I live in the middle of nowhere and on the day preorders opened for the Wii, I arrived at the Gamestop in the mall an hour before opening to be the 10th person in line. They were only accepting 20 preorders, which were filled 20 minutes before the store even opened.

I walked into a slightly more remote Gamestop in the late afternoon on the day Wii U preorders opened, and had no problem securing the 32GB system. Strange.[/QUOTE]
It's amazing how much of a difference where you live can make. I lived in the middle of nowhere for the PS2 launch. Got to Walmart at 7:30PM for a midnight launch, was the 2nd person in line.

For the PS3 launch, I lived near a few colleges, and went out at 7:30PM the night before the night of the launch (with many of the stores not having midnight launches) -- i.e. 24-32 hours earlier than for the PS2, and we couldn't find a single store without a line already full.

With Wii preorders in 2006 I was in the student computer lounge on a Wednesday while my wife was in class and I got an email from gamestop indicating they were taking preorders the next day. I was at gamestop the next morning at 7 am. There was 2 people ahead of me. When store employees showed up before the store opened they had us sign a sheet in order of who was there first. By time store opened there were probably 30 people in line. I preordered mine no problem. Midnight launch was a blast...so much hype and Zelda was so worth it.

I highly doubt there will be any new console from Sony or Microsoft in 2013.
I mean cmon, the Xbox 360 has kinect...why would you need a whole new console
when you have that amazing piece of equipment. :roll:

But seriously, if there was any way a new console was going to be released by next year, we would already know and have at least seen a few games in development for it.

[quote name='Paladinion']But seriously, if there was any way a new console was going to be released by next year, we would already know and have at least seen a few games in development for it.[/QUOTE]

Star Wars 1313 seems like it could be a candidate for release on next gen systems. There'll probably be several current gen games ported to the new systems as well, sort of like what happened with Tony Hawk's American Wasteland, Gun, & Just Cause.

[quote name='FatherChesz']I live in the middle of nowhere and on the day preorders opened for the Wii, I arrived at the Gamestop in the mall an hour before opening to be the 10th person in line. They were only accepting 20 preorders, which were filled 20 minutes before the store even opened.

I walked into a slightly more remote Gamestop in the late afternoon on the day Wii U preorders opened, and had no problem securing the 32GB system. Strange.[/QUOTE]

This has nothing to do with location - that's the way it was most places between the two systems. The key difference is that with the Wii, they announced a few days ahead of time when they would take preorders at Gamestop. And with the 360 launch snafu the year before, people knew they had to be there quick to get a valid (ie, day one)preorder and the resellers were out in full force. This was before the Wii got super-hyped to the general masses once it got released but it was still hyped enough with gamers and resellers that the preorders could only be obtained pretty much by lining up before stores opened.

For the Wii U, on the other hand, Nintendo announced pricing/release date one morning, and GS started taking preorders right away. Even us in the know here on CAG only had a day or two notice that Nintendo was probably going to announce the details and we still didn't know if GS would follow that up with immediate preorders or announce future ones like they did with the Wii. I was much relieved when they started them immediately and I "strolled in" around 11am and was the first person to preorder at a store that had, 6 years ago, sold out of Wii preorders before they opened. Most people didn't get wind of the availability of Wii U preorders until that evening and it wasn't until the next day that Deluxe preorders got cut off and even longer before they all did.

So, really, it was a matter of the circumstances of the announcement more than anything else which at least explains the easy first day of preorders. There was also slightly less hype for the Wii U than for the original Wii (which explains why it took a few more days for all the preorders to sell out). Though we have already seen that ramp up as people realize what it is (ie, a new Nintendo system) and I'm sure it will be as scarce as the Wii through the end of the year at least.

[quote name='io']This has nothing to do with location - that's the way it was most places between the two systems. The key difference is that with the Wii, they announced a few days ahead of time when they would take preorders at Gamestop. And with the 360 launch snafu the year before, people knew they had to be there quick to get a valid (ie, day one)preorder and the resellers were out in full force. This was before the Wii got super-hyped to the general masses once it got released but it was still hyped enough with gamers and resellers that the preorders could only be obtained pretty much by lining up before stores opened.

For the Wii U, on the other hand, Nintendo announced pricing/release date one morning, and GS started taking preorders right away. Even us in the know here on CAG only had a day or two notice that Nintendo was probably going to announce the details and we still didn't know if GS would follow that up with immediate preorders or announce future ones like they did with the Wii. I was much relieved when they started them immediately and I "strolled in" around 11am and was the first person to preorder at a store that had, 6 years ago, sold out of Wii preorders before they opened. Most people didn't get wind of the availability of Wii U preorders until that evening and it wasn't until the next day that Deluxe preorders got cut off and even longer before they all did.

So, really, it was a matter of the circumstances of the announcement more than anything else which at least explains the easy first day of preorders. There was also slightly less hype for the Wii U than for the original Wii (which explains why it took a few more days for all the preorders to sell out). Though we have already seen that ramp up as people realize what it is (ie, a new Nintendo system) and I'm sure it will be as scarce as the Wii through the end of the year at least.[/QUOTE]

i pretty much did the same thing. as soon as they announced pre-orders, and the trade in bonuses for pre-ordering i went in. then the next day everyone was talking about how they had already stopped. at the time i wasn't thinking that they'd sell out so fast.

[quote name='Ag_SurfR']i pretty much did the same thing. as soon as they announced pre-orders, and the trade in bonuses for pre-ordering i went in. then the next day everyone was talking about how they had already stopped. at the time i wasn't thinking that they'd sell out so fast.[/QUOTE]

Yep, exactly. It suprised me how easy it was to get one that first day and then again it surprised me that they sold out so quickly after it started off so slow. But that was all due to the circumstances of the Nintendo announcement in the AM followed immediately by GS taking preorders I guess. It took a full day and a half for the ball to get rolling with most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back