The Wire: The Complete Series $89.99 (was $99.99) w/FSSS

mokmoof

CAGiversary!
Feedback
121 (100%)
The Wire, widely considered the finest television drama ever made, is now $89.99 at Amazon (was $99.99)

I've been watching the price on the complete series, and this is cheaper than it has been in quite a while. But in the experience of seasoned CAGs, is this box set likely to get even cheaper before the holiday season ends?

Either way, I just thought that a heads-up would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Haggar']Is The Wire the show set in Baltimore where there's a black guy selling drugs and his mother is a crack head and only a few years older than he is? The only scene I remember was someone was stealing a refridgerator and the neighbor was sitting on the porch next door and saw them, but he said he wouldn't say anything if the robbers gave him some free stuff. I think it was directed by Charles Dutton.
[/QUOTE]

That was The Corner. Same creator, lots of the same actors too. Khandi Alexander was the mom.

[quote name='mission42']You need to "QTF". Maybe you haven't seen the packaging for the complete series but it is utter shit. The dvd's are just in little slits in the cardboard season inserts. The whole packaging is about the season of a normal season of any other show. The discs come out somewhat scratched brand new. The packaging is horrid and you'd be very lucky if all of the discs come out scratch free and will play without skipping. I know mine skips some and I bought mine brand new. It's a really shitty package.[/QUOTE]

I think you misread my post... read it again. I'm advocating the owning of the original packaging.

Also, it is QFT, not QTF... it stands for Quote For Truth.

I picked this up as a blind buy at the Best Buy sale last year for 50% off. I never regretted a penny I spent on it and sometimes found myself needing to watch 3 or 4 hours in a night after getting started. Season 4 in particular, damn.

This is kind of a "me too" post in the thread, but this is worth the bump to keep it on the front page on the off chance that one more person buys the show.

First time I saw it was 6 weeks after it premiered, HBO had all the episodes up to that point aired one night back to back. Holy shit, that was like the best couch potato session ever.

[quote name='Porksta']Or maybe you were just watching a documentary on Baltimore? :D

That could be it, for a while The Wire was the only show on with a dominant black cast. I've only seen the first season and that scene isn't from it so I couldn't tell you.[/QUOTE]

I haven't read all the posts in this yet, but that is the miniseries The Corner. The quasi "predecessor" to The Wire.

[quote name='zenintrude']I think you misread my post... read it again. I'm advocating the owning of the original packaging.

Also, it is QFT, not QTF... it stands for Quote For Truth.[/QUOTE]

I did mean QFT not QTF but as I understand it QFT stands for something other than quote for truth. But as the way I read it and what I understood QFT meant is how I responded. After re-reading with your variation, I do apologize. I did misunderstand.

The Corner is a semi-documentary. It was based on real people. Or at least the core family was. They are interviewed by Dutton in the final episode.

[quote name='chewbaccagu']That was The Corner, which was sort of a precursor to The Wire.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='crunchb3rry']That was The Corner. Same creator, lots of the same actors too. Khandi Alexander was the mom.[/QUOTE]

Thanks guys! *runs off to Netflix*

[quote name='darkdaze73']If you like The Shield, you'll definitely like The Wire. Those are without a doubt my two favorite shows. I like Lost also(and picked up the blu-ray set yesterday), but Lost doesn't touch either of these.

Like others have stated, you can not watch a few episodes and know what is going on. While each episode has its own theme, like The Shield, there is a bigger picture that you can only get by watching every episode.

I personally don't own any of the seasons yet, but plan on picking them up individually eventually. Don't need no cheap packaging ruining my discs. I have read that The Shield complete set is the same way.[/QUOTE]

You guys are making me want to get into the Shield. I've never watched a minute of it but everyone says it's great.

Also, thanks to the person who reminded me about The Corner. I have to hunt these down somehow and watch them (maybe over the summer).

[quote name='halvorsb']I picked this up as a blind buy at the Best Buy sale last year for 50% off. I never regretted a penny I spent on it and sometimes found myself needing to watch 3 or 4 hours in a night after getting started. Season 4 in particular, damn.

This is kind of a "me too" post in the thread, but this is worth the bump to keep it on the front page on the off chance that one more person buys the show.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I freakin LOVE season 4. Season's 1-3 I watched on demand in like a week. Season 4 I watched each week as they aired. I looked forward to them so much and it was torture to wait each week. I liked how they continued the kid's stories in season 5 and I was blown away by the series finale.

I think it has to be my favorite finales of all time. The Lost season finale probably won't satisfy anyone's needs. We've all been fantasizing how Lost will end for the past 6 years (at least I have). There's no way it can live up to my 6 years of expectations. But The Wire series finale completely satisfied me. It's like they were building to that ending for years. I haven't watched an episode of the wire since the finale premiered, but I still remember each season vividly.

Sorry, I know everyone on this thread has already said this, but the WIRE, is and was one of the best shows on television, ever!!!!

Even, the last season which is a bit lackluster was better than half of the crap that is on TV now, that most people consider good television.

Matthew Fox is one of the very few people that knew what happened in the Lost finale (I'm assuming the show ends with a scene involving his character) and promised fans would love it, even the jaded ones. He seems like a standup dude, so I have a lot of faith they will wrap it up well and make up for the borderline lunacy of the last few seasons' events.

The Wire is definitely the best show ever though. It's 9.7 IMDB rating is scary. I think it might be the highest rated of anything on that entire site, even if it only has ~60,000 votes locked in.

The Wire is the BEST show ever period, Stringer Bell FTW! (Same guy also plays in a bunch of Guy Richie films such as "RockanRolla" "Revolver")

I've been looking at this for a few months. But $100 is still out of my wheel house being that it would be pretty much a blind buy...I'll wait till its gets to around $75 at BB and use RZ coupons.

i want this so bad. i too believe this to be one of the best shows ever. however i am very worried about the disk issue. 100$ is a lot to pay for a set you know comes scratched. i may wait for the 80$ bestbuy deal so i can keep returning it untill i get a good set.

i wish i could get the seasons seperately for 100, id be down for that .

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Dude, I freakin LOVE season 4. Season's 1-3 I watched on demand in like a week. Season 4 I watched each week as they aired. I looked forward to them so much and it was torture to wait each week. I liked how they continued the kid's stories in season 5 and I was blown away by the series finale.

I think it has to be my favorite finales of all time. The Lost season finale probably won't satisfy anyone's needs. We've all been fantasizing how Lost will end for the past 6 years (at least I have). There's no way it can live up to my 6 years of expectations. But The Wire series finale completely satisfied me. It's like they were building to that ending for years. I haven't watched an episode of the wire since the finale premiered, but I still remember each season vividly.[/QUOTE]

DUDE, how can you say that? Hasn't lost been one of the most epic shows you've ever seen thus far? What makes you think that they won't end it epically? Is that even a word?

I had the same worries about BSG and loved the finale.

As far as all the people worrying about the DVD scratching, I wouldnt. The discs are actually pretty secure in the box when all the seasons are in it. None of my discs were scratched and the first time I took each disc out to view it, it was pretty snug and secure in the box.

Not saying that I like the packaging, but I doubt you get scratched discs.

i'm currently in the process of watching this. i'm almost done with season 3. i would blind buy the whole series, because at this point i'm IN. this show is so GD fun and interesting to watch.

[quote name='BuckinKaeding']
I had the same worries about BSG and loved the finale.[/QUOTE]
Yikes! So you're the one person who liked it? ;)

Lost and The Shield are great, but The Wire is just on a whole other level IMO. It's some of the smartest TV I've ever seen, and season 4 is just downright gut-wrenching. This thread has inspired me to rewatch the series.

[quote name='simmias']Yikes! So you're the one person who liked it? ;)

Lost and The Shield are great, but The Wire is just on a whole other level IMO. It's some of the smartest TV I've ever seen, and season 4 is just downright gut-wrenching. This thread has inspired me to rewatch the series.[/QUOTE]

I would say about 90% of the people I talk to about BSG liked the finale. The ones who didn't like it make such a big fuss that it might seem like there are more of them.

back on topic, forget BSG, the shield and Lost:

does anyone who has this complete set had bad experience with receiving the disks scratched?!

or is it all just the standard amazon fear mongering?

[quote name='postulio']back on topic, forget BSG, the shield and Lost:

does anyone who has this complete set had bad experience with receiving the disks scratched?!

or is it all just the standard amazon fear mongering?[/QUOTE]

Some guy earlier in this thread claimed that the packaging itself is prone to scratching the disks... Amazon, notwithstanding.

Just bought the complete set from Bestbuy and while the packaging is not great by any stretch of the imagination, the discs stay secured in their slots and I cannot see how they would come scratched.

aa03dd08a25d4df6a34330866a660463.jpg

[quote name='shrike4242']It's dropped in price to $89.99, as of the time of this post.[/QUOTE]

$69.99, and I'd be ordering it instantly. I'm once again kicking myself for not ordering this for $89.99. I guess I've been spoiled by CAG! :lol:

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']$69.99, and I'd be ordering it instantly. I'm once again kicking myself for not ordering this for $89.99. I guess I've been spoiled by CAG! :lol:[/QUOTE]

If you have a Costco nearby it is 69.99 until 12/24.

[quote name='darkdaze73']If you have a Costco nearby it is 69.99 until 12/24.[/QUOTE]

I wasn't aware of that, and yes I do have a Costco in my vicinity. However, it requires a membership, and unlike Sam's Club I don't believe Costco allows people to shop at their store with a temporary membership or one-day pass?

Maybe I'm wrong about this?

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']I wasn't aware of that, and yes I do have a Costco in my vicinity. However, it requires a membership, and unlike Sam's Club I don't believe Costco allows people to shop at their store with a temporary membership or one-day pass?

Maybe I'm wrong about this?[/QUOTE]

Not that I know of. Never been to Costco myself. I just know it has not been mentioned too much(heard it on SD myself) and wanted to throw it out there in case you or smoeone else that did have a membership was interested.

If it were not for the packaging, I would be interested.

I was just in Costco and I can confirm that it would be 69.99 if they had it in stock but sadly my costco was either sold out of just don't carry it(didn't see a spot for it). However the complete series of Six Feet Under, Deadwood, Sex and City were all 69.99. I have heard good things about Six Feet Under but passed on buying the complete series, but I did buy the complete first season for 12.xx.

[quote name='LeonSKennedy']I wasn't aware of that, and yes I do have a Costco in my vicinity. However, it requires a membership, and unlike Sam's Club I don't believe Costco allows people to shop at their store with a temporary membership or one-day pass?

Maybe I'm wrong about this?[/QUOTE]

Might want to check if they refund memberships within a timeframe. Maybe you can sign up, buy the movie, and get a refund later.

Damn that $70 pricetag for complete HBO shows is incredible. I was at Costco 2 days ago but they didn't have that price featured and I was actually considering The Wire/Deadwood/Six Feet Under (only picked up 1st season SFU for $13 like Sleek). I'm guessing the sale is over :/

bread's done
Back