The Wire

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yep. It doesn't look amazing or anything, but it's at least widescreen and HD.

DTV 101 is getting toward the end of Season 3 currently.[/QUOTE]

That is awesome. I just finished the series this past week and I really was floored with how well it was done. All the characters fit together so well and the show just had such a depth and realism that it was flat out refreshing.

[quote name='mykevermin']favorite season? character?

Overall score out of 10 on the fifth (and most divisive) season?[/QUOTE]

My favorite season is probably the third one. I loved the concept of Hamsterdam and Omar going to war on the Barksdale people was fantastic.

As far as characters I really like Omar and Carver. How could anyone not like Omar? Carver was just great with regards to how he evolved and he was perfect in season four. When Randy gets lost to the system and he loses it in the car it really got to me.

As far as the fifth season goes, I don't think it was as good as the others, but it was still entertaining. I loved the way the show ended, but I thought the made up serial killer was just a little too far out there. I did love how they paralleled it with lies in the newspaper industry though. I probably would give it a 7.5 overall.

The best snoop scene is when she is buying the nail gun. She gives the associate a tip because he "earned that buck like a muthafu**er".

I loved snoop and chris.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']My favorite season is probably the third one. I loved the concept of Hamsterdam and Omar going to war on the Barksdale people was fantastic.

As far as characters I really like Omar and Carver. How could anyone not like Omar? Carver was just great with regards to how he evolved and he was perfect in season four. When Randy gets lost to the system and he loses it in the car it really got to me.

As far as the fifth season goes, I don't think it was as good as the others, but it was still entertaining. I loved the way the show ended, but I thought the made up serial killer was just a little too far out there. I did love how they paralleled it with lies in the newspaper industry though. I probably would give it a 7.5 overall.[/QUOTE]

Good point on Carver. The trajectories he and Herc took over the five seasons were excellent and divergent.

I don't recall the name of the mayor, but the story of Hamsterdam is loosely based on a mayor of Baltimore (from the 80's?) who suggested decriminalizing drugs in order to reduce violence and gang activity.

Kurt Schmoke: http://www.nytimes.com/1988/09/30/us/baltimore-mayor-supports-legalization-of-illicit-drugs.html

Season 4 was the most powerful to me by a long shot. Randy, Michael, Namon and Dukie were complex, deep characters that really helped show how different and difficult a world the modern inner city can be.

I kinda hated season 5, though I appreciated what Simon was trying to do with it. The series finale really did an excellent job, however, of wrapping the show up and emphasizing that Baltimore was the main character, not McNulty or anyone else.

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.slate.com/BLOGS/blogs/br...speaks-on-felicia-snoop-pearson-s-arrest.aspx

Not to mention, as an attorney who respects the judicial process, should you be condemning her prior to her trial?

Speaking of shame, that is.[/QUOTE]

You would know myke, that when the feds work up a case, it is usually a pretty good one. At the very least MUCH stronger than any state case would be.

As a practicing defense attorney, I do know that one who associates with and is found constantly with the people in the drug game, is extremely likely to be in the game themselves; even if it can't be proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Not guilt by association necessarily, but the same idea.

If she just beat a drug case as the article points out, and is now facing another, at what point in the court of public opinion (this venue) do you stop giving someone the benefit of the doubt? e.g. Roethlisberger.

Still, poignant points made in that statement, especially the last paragraph about jury nullification. It was really well written and I agree with everything it has to say.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally finished the series as the DirecTV re-airing wrapped up this past week. I'll have to correct my earlier post. The show was filmed in 4x3 SD--direcTV just cropped it to 16x9 and upscaled it. I thought it looked good though. I had to watch a couple episodes on DVD as I'd turned off my DVR when out of the country in June and those looked like ass on m TV.

Anyway, really loved the show. The third season was probably my favorite as I loved all the internal politics of the PD etc., having seen that kind of crap on a smaller scale in person in PDs I've done research with.

Season 1 and 2 were great as well. Season 4, I'm with myke in that I loved the stuff with the kids and how rough life is for kids growing up in those types of neighborhoods and family situations. I wasn't big on all the politics and election stuff though as I thought they'd covered that enough in Season 3. So I wasn't son interested in that angle in season 4 and 5.

Season 5, like most, I wasn't a big fan of. The newspaper stuff could have been great--I was very interested in the angle since my undergrad was in journalism and I worked at a small paper briefly etc. But it just didn't really go anywhere. They could have done a much better job of showing how the media only focus on sensational crimes, ignore murders in the ghetto etc. than what they did since they focused on a lying reporter instead of larger problems with the media.

The stuff with
McNulty and Lester making up a serial killer to get more resources was just lame as well. It seemed out of character for them. They always wanted to make the case, but had always seemed mostly like "do it by the books" types.

But overall, a fantastic show.

I just went through the series, and I agree entirely with dmaul's post above save for the fact that I'd put season three and four on a pedestal above one and two.

And favourite character? Stringer. Definitely Stringer.

I completed the series a couple weeks ago and loved all of it, even season 5.

And for the people judging Snoop, you really missed a huge point in the show.

Yay, it's my turn. I finally finished this series. Can't believe how long it took since I noticed this thread that I had a chance to watch it.
Surprise, it's one of my favorite shows ever now.

Lots of comments in this thread cover my thoughts, so let me just post some of my bland opinion. First, I particularly love how there weren't any larger than life characters. That's so very rare to see in fiction.
Sure, some tried to be that, like Omar and Stringer, but reality pulled them back down and suplexed them for good measure. And on the other hand, I was worried that they would use the final few episodes to have some over the top finale to the series, especially when considering the massive buildup that Omar had been given since the beginning. It was sad to see my favorite character be taken out, but it felt right.

I also didn't love the serial killer story, but it is what it is.

Oh, right. Best season was number two for me. The way it all kept going as they moved on to different things was great, and I ended up liking all the characters that I'd disliked at the beginning.

The worst part about it is that there's no more of this, and it's not a show I can rewatch and enjoy anywhere near as much as the first run.

Last thing, that Omar marriage ad is :D.

Interesting - I was talking about this show w/ a friend the other day and he seemed to think most people disliked season 2 - but he's a union laborer, so perhaps from his perspective he felt people didn't understand it.

Glad more people like it. Still one of the best series on television.

I think 2 is the one people either love or hate. I personally didn't like it but my wife loved it. We had to talk in-laws into going on to 3 because they were ready to quit after 2.

bread's done
Back