The Wireless Wii Thread!

pilferk

CAGiversary!
This thread is to talk about your trials, tribulations, and experiences in hooking your Wii up to a wireless router.

I'm actually going looking for a router this weekend....anyone had a particularly good (or particularly bad) experience?

Also, whats the range from your router and how's the connection?

I tried using my Wireless router and it worked for the updates, but wouldn't work after that, so I just decided to use the Nintendo WiFi USB adapter. My DS would never connect to my router either, so I just figured that I would try it before using the USB adapter.

Also, some Windows update that my PC did last night messed up the USB ports on my PC and I had to uninstall the Nintendo WiFi adapter and reinstall it after a few reboots to get it working again. Very annoying. Damn Microsoft messing with my Wii.

No problems with my router at all (Linksys WRT54G). The only issue I had was getting SLOW updates and timing out when getting into the Wii Store. That was because the network was getting slammed.

I also had no problem with my router Linksys WRT54G. Just had to put in my WEP and worked perfectly. I was able to access the shop right away and had no problem

worked like a charm. the updates took a little while but i assume that was because of everyone else signing on to update at the same time...or maybe it's just slow, either way I don't care, worked great!

T. Foolery

Had a few hiccups, but I think they were mostly due to my Wii being placed in a corner behind a few signal-blocking obstacles. Once I put it out in the open, it worked fine.

Everyone who's having success...how far is your Wii from your router?

My router is in our basement (which is where the new wireless router will be...replacing the "wired" one), one floor below where the Wii will be almost EXACTLY. We're talking, in real distance, only about 15 feet...but through insulation and flooring, obviously.

I'm pretty sure I'll be OK, but....well, wondering what others experiences are.

I was thinking of going with one of the NetGears (Black Friday special)...but seing the success people are having with the Linksys...I'm wondering about that now.

Anyone using any 802.11 n routers?

I had no problem detecting the network. Even found 3 in my neighborhood.

Couldn't connect to get the patches, until I switched from channel 6 to 11.

Both my Wii and DS seem to work fine on my Actiontec GT704, despite hearing that the series does not work well with them. Downloaded both updates and sent e-mails without any problems...yet.

I had a few problems getting it to connect to the Internet earlier Sunday morning. Restarted the whole setup process later on, connected to the USB Connector just fine, and updated.

The updates took around 45 minutes though... >:mad:

Other than that, it works perfectly fine now. I connect to the store alright, and messaging works great.

[quote name='vashknives114']Both my Wii and DS seem to work fine on my Actiontec GT704, despite hearing that the series does not work well with them. Downloaded both updates and sent e-mails without any problems...yet.[/QUOTE]

That's funny.

I've never been able to get my DS to work with my Actiontec. Do you have a phat or Lite?

[quote name='psunami']That's funny.

I've never been able to get my DS to work with my Actiontec. Do you have a phat or Lite?[/QUOTE]
The original fat version. Have you configured the settings in WiFi mode to match up with the DS?

At first I could only get the DS to work for awhile before it DC'd me, but after messing around and matching things up with the modem to the DS, things have worked smoothly. So, just matched everything together with the settings from my DS to the Wii, and worked like a charm.

I've got a 524 as well, and I was SOOO afraid it wouldn't work, because my DS lite doesn't like it at all.

[quote name='menikmati']D-Link DI-524 worked like a charm on the first try.[/quote]

does anyone know if there is still network issues for Wii Shop channel? I've tried connecting a few times, got through once and can't get into it again since than. All the info to setup my router and Wii is correct and I downloaded the update with no problem.

I'm using an $11 Belkin wireless access point that someone posted here back in the beginning of the DS Wi-Fi days. It worked seamlessly for my Wii the same way it does for the DS. I was very happy there were no issues.

[quote name='menikmati']D-Link DI-524 worked like a charm on the first try.[/quote] Your's works? I have this router and I think it sucks. It keeps screwing up and it messed up my computer's ability to connect to the internet for awhile. I've given up on it, I hate it.

[quote name='pilferk']Everyone who's having success...how far is your Wii from your router?

My router is in our basement (which is where the new wireless router will be...replacing the "wired" one), one floor below where the Wii will be almost EXACTLY. We're talking, in real distance, only about 15 feet...but through insulation and flooring, obviously.

I'm pretty sure I'll be OK, but....well, wondering what others experiences are.

I was thinking of going with one of the NetGears (Black Friday special)...but seing the success people are having with the Linksys...I'm wondering about that now.

Anyone using any 802.11 n routers?[/quote]

My Wii is two floors away from my router and I didn't have any problems. I have a Linksys router....probably the same one mentioned here, but I'm too lazy to look it up.

TBW

bread's done
Back