The Witcher 1 $5 at GOG.com, FINAL DAY. Ends Tuesday, EARLY.

gcorlett

CAGiversary!
Feedback
18 (100%)
Update: GOG says This deal ends 5/24 at 6:59 AM EDT.

Good Old Games dropped this in my inbox this morning:

asw_14.jpg

In celebration (?) of the release of The Witcher 2, they are selling The Witcher: Enhanced Edition May 10-24 for $5.

Before someone asks, no, you can't activate The Witcher or The Witcher 2 on Steam if you buy it elsewhere.

Yes, this game has been $5 on Steam before.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='j-cart']So I shouldn't press accept on paypal just yet?[/QUOTE]

I think it's safe to go ahead and purchase it now. The game might be not be available til the morning though. GOG seems like a reputable company so I don't think anyone that's already bought it will get screwed.

[quote name='j-cart']Paid. I'm in the GOG downloader and I can't sign in. I'll try tomorrow.[/QUOTE]

In one of the posts on their forum from earlier today, they said it would be available at 1:00 PM Polish time which is 7:00 AM EDT. Hopefully it won't be a whole lot later than that. I'd like to at least start the download before going to bed around 6:00 CDT. :D

EDIT: The GOG downloader is working now. It's downloading very quickly as well.

Paid and now downloading via the latest GOG downloader. I live near Seattle (-8:00 PST).

I already own this via a different online service (ImpulseDriven) as well as the DVD version (had to have the guide in physical form because I'm tactile like that :D) and now the DRM-free GOG version. I almost never do this for games, but it's been worth it to support GOG, CD Projekt and The Witcher series in general. FWIW, I bought each version dirt-cheap on sale, so I'm still a CAG ;)

EDIT: Looks like GOG also provided us with higher-quality versions of many of the goodies I originally got from my Impulse purchase. Not only are the manual, guide, and maps higher-quality (and larger file size), the manual and guide's pdf's pages are broken up into nice, separate pages. My Impulse versions stuck two pages into one, making iPad and even monitor viewing annoying. Further, the soundtrack is 256kbps for the GOG version versus 192kbps for the Impulse version (makes a difference for those of us with nicer mp3 players and headphones/IEMs ;D).

This isn't to say that Impulse or any other digital download service gave us a bad version or they're a bad service (I've purchased quite a few games from them and I have no problems recommending them if they have a solid sale for a game, not to mention their awesome Fences application), just that GOG went that little extra mile for the fans yet again. It may be that

I remember when I worked at Best Buy when it came out and it looked pretty cool. One of the few PC games that interested me, but never picked up. So $5 for it is a deal.

It's a bummer I'm sending my iMac back tomorrow cause I really want to play this. Just have a to wait a few weeks until I get the new iMac back and can install it then.

I love what GOG is doing and while I already have this game on steam, gotta add this to my collection of games from gog.com!

Must get if you love RPG.

[quote name='United_Korea']i see that the browser downloads are in separate parts. what do i do once i download all the parts?[/QUOTE]

Just put them all in one folder and run the setup.exe. That's it.

I'm having trouble with their GOG Download application, it started up fine and then suddenly stopped, I tried pausing and restarting but that didn't resolve the issue. Next, I closed the GOG Download application and tried reopening it, this time the program wouldn't even open. Then I tried deleting the GOG application and re-downloading it, that gave the same result. So finally I tried to download it through the separate portions through the browser, well I needed to pause the downloads for a brief second to download a quick update on Xbox Live (that way it would download quickly) and as I tried to restart it, it told me the downloads had failed.

I sure hope this isn't any indication of what future purchases may be like from GOG, otherwise I'll be sticking with Steam permanently.

^ Which version of the downloader are you using? It is still in beta and receiving updates but I have downloaded 7 or 8 games with version 0.9.0.1336 and I am 2GB into The Witcher without incident.

[quote name='Hawkamania']I'm having trouble with their GOG Download application, it started up fine and then suddenly stopped, I tried pausing and restarting but that didn't resolve the issue. Next, I closed the GOG Download application and tried reopening it, this time the program wouldn't even open. Then I tried deleting the GOG application and re-downloading it, that gave the same result. So finally I tried to download it through the separate portions through the browser, well I needed to pause the downloads for a brief second to download a quick update on Xbox Live (that way it would download quickly) and as I tried to restart it, it told me the downloads had failed.

I sure hope this isn't any indication of what future purchases may be like from GOG, otherwise I'll be sticking with Steam permanently.[/QUOTE]

They're currently being hammered by downloads of The Witcher according to their Twitter post this morning. This isn't an indication of their service in general; I've purchased over 30 games from them over the years and haven't had any issues, so consider this an anomaly.

As for the new version of the downloader, I have had the exact same problem with the downloader not running after I close it. Just go into your Task Manager (hit Ctrl+Shift+Esc) and look for the GOG downloader under Processes. Shut it down from there and you can run it again. The previous version of the downloader wasn't this buggy, but as the poster above mentioned, it's still technically in beta anyway.

I usually use my browser to download stuff from GOG. I'm not sure exactly why the downloads failed you that way, but again, they are getting hammered like crazy today, so maybe that's why.

Just hang in there; GOG is an awesome company in my opinion.

EDIT: I should note that I shut down the downloader originally because I wanted to change the download location after I first started to download the game, not because it crashed.

[quote name='Xealot42']^ Which version of the downloader are you using? It is still in beta and receiving updates but I have downloaded 7 or 8 games with version 0.9.0.1336 and I am 2GB into The Witcher without incident.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, once I set up the downloader's download location and restarted it I had zero download problems. The game downloaded in roughly 2 hours for me (I live near Seattle).

Question: Can I download the 6 parts using the browser option on my laptop and then copy everything to my desktop PC and install it there? I assume it is possible since the game is DRM-free.

Also, 4 other games appeared on my account after buying The Witcher:
Teenagent,
Beneath a Steel Sky,
Lure of the Temptress,
Tyrian 2000

The Witcher + 4 games for $5 is a great deal, and they are DRM-free!

Teenagent, Beneath a Steel Sky and Lure of the Temptress have always been free after your first purchase. I don't remember anything about Tyrian 2000 though.

I guess it's been a while since those first three free games happened. I know about the fifth one but never knew about the fourth one. I guess I forgot they are clickable to add to your collection. They also appear in there automatically after your first purchase now I believe, but you still need to click later ones that become free. Could be wrong, not that it really matters.

I've had my eye on this game for 2 years now. I've always wanted to play it but for some reason never bought it. Now I'll finally pull the trigger. Can't get any better than this.

Tyrian 2000 is a great top-down arcade shooting game. If you ever install or run it during Christmastime, make sure to say yes to Christmas Mode. :) Laser Candy Canes! :D

Is anyone else having trouble trying to get GOG to accept their debit card. It keeps giving me the "Payment Processing Error" when I try to buy the game. Any help?

[quote name='ttajjioui']Is anyone else having trouble trying to get GOG to accept their debit card. It keeps giving me the "Payment Processing Error" when I try to buy the game. Any help?[/QUOTE]

I just bought it with a debit card and it didn't give me any problems. I used a Mastercard, if that makes any difference.

[quote name='shortyman920']I've had my eye on this game for 2 years now. I've always wanted to play it but for some reason never bought it. Now I'll finally pull the trigger. Can't get any better than this.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you bud, dont know why I didn't pull the trigger sooner, been playing it today and it's pretty darn good, especially at this price.

Makes me pretty excited for TW2

[quote name='bitter1961']I got a $5 steam copy in the last sale, and I'm planning on picking up a second copy from GOG to play instead.

The steam version is just really messily thrown together, all the director's edition "extras" thrown in a folder deep in the game's steamapps directory, every voice over language file included by default, and all required to be downloaded and remain installed as part of the game. It requires 14GB, largely because of extras and unused files. I don't think much effort was put into packaging it up for Steam at all.

I'm sure the GOG version will have a lot more care put into it, especially with the close overlap between GOG and the developers.[/QUOTE]

Good to know, I'll be getting the GOG version instead of waiting for a shea sale then.

[quote name='Sondast']I just bought it with a debit card and it didn't give me any problems. I used a Mastercard, if that makes any difference.[/QUOTE]

I'm using a Visa, but I don't know why it would make a difference. I'm beginning to think that it's because it is an international purchase. I guess I'll try again tomorrow.

Necro'ing my own thread. GOG posted this morning that this is the last day of the sale. They HQ in Europe, so if you live in North America don't get caught thinking you can buy it 'til late Tuesday. The $5 Witcher 1 deal ends on Tuesday EARLY MORNING.

The details:
The Witcher: Enhanced Edition promo is ending in fewer than 24 hours

0952caa63a0e47e6f17a6b579d67b9e0c3eaa536_small.jpg

Even our craziest promos have to end someday. That time is coming up with The Witcher 1: Enhanced Edition's crazy 50% discount for the first two weeks after its release on GOG. Here's your last chance to get the first episode of the Witcher saga DRM-free for half the price! The two week promo ends tomorrow 24th of May 10:59 GMT (6:59 AM EDT), so if you haven't picked it up yet, make sure you do!

It has about 57 linearity. The epilogue and first chapter are quite linear (some slight branching), but then your decisions start to have serious effects and you have a lot more choice about which quests to do, what order, and you have a larger gameworld to explore.

Says PJ, who just started Chapter 3 yesterday. Hmmm. Anyone who's completed the game want to weigh in?

[quote name='PenguinJim']It has about 57 linearity. The epilogue and first chapter are quite linear (some slight branching), but then your decisions start to have serious effects and you have a lot more choice about which quests to do, what order, and you have a larger gameworld to explore.

Says PJ, who just started Chapter 3 yesterday. Hmmm. Anyone who's completed the game want to weigh in?[/QUOTE]

I finished the game on saturday, and started Witcher 2. I'd say it's about as linear as DA2 in terms of chapters\acts. You get quests during the chapters that you can mostly do in any order, with exception to the main quests. After finishing a chapter some of the quests are abandoned as you transition to a new chapter.

As for choices... I'd say its about the same as Dragon Age. You basically just pick sides for the main story quests. And the side you choose determines your enemies. It's not much different from other RPGs.

After finishing it I really don't understand what all the fuss was all about. It's a standard RPG with quite a few flaws, low production values, horrible voice acting, but it's still fun. It's no DAO, but Definitely worth $5 lol.

[quote name='DigitalE']How much linearity does The Witcher have? Is it open world, or do you follow a set path most of the time?[/QUOTE]

It's not open like Oblivion\fallout 3, it's about as linear as dragon age.

No real interest in this game, but the witcher 2 is pretty fantastic. It's very story and character heavy and even after 8 or 10 hours I'm still in the dark on quite a few things going on in witcher 2. That game is also averaging around 90 on metacritic when I last checked. Pick this up if you're a stickler for playing these types in order, witcher 2 is absolutely worth a purchase later even if you're not interested now.

bread's done
Back