The World at War Box Set (Blu-ray) $39.99 Shipped

This is an awesome awesome deal. It has been in my wish list for quite a while. The previous low from Amazon was $69.49. If I had the funds I would jump all over this...

Wow... the controversy over cropping the original 4:3 format to make it 16:9... how do you guys feel about that? I guess I would have prefer the original aspect ratio but is it a "deal breaker"?

[quote name='cheapfrag']Wow... the controversy over cropping the original 4:3 format to make it 16:9... how do you guys feel about that? I guess I would have prefer the original aspect ratio but is it a "deal breaker"?[/QUOTE]

I would like to also hear what a fellow CAG thinks about this.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-World-at-War-Blu-ray/14243/#Review

Regarding the cropping...

Let's get the framing issues out of the way first. Would it have been better to have had this series in 1.33:1? Probably. But business being what it is, and Fremantle's need to recoup their very substantial restoration costs by relicensing this series for broadcast made the 16:9 decision inevitable. What is striking about this reframing is how carefully it was done, at least for the most part. As the restoration featurette shows quite clearly, this was not an automated situation where the original 1.33:1 image was simply blown up to become 1.78:1. Actual people, not machines, supervised this process, often frame by frame, making sure the salient information was kept in the image. For about 95% of the time, this effort is largely commendable. Unfortunately, the contemporary interview segments do look rather silly, with up to one quarter of any given individual's forehead and/or chin lopped off the image. In perhaps a less important issue, the opening Thames TV logo now cuts the top of the spire off of St. Paul's Cathedral. But otherwise, the framing has been handled spectacularly smartly.

My package was shipping USPS. It said it was delivered this morning but there's nothing at my house or any around me. I love how retarded the mailmen can be. A letter I can see going to the wrong house, but a box? You look at it, you check the house number, and you leave it by the front door. It isn't that hard yet they only seem to hire people who have trouble performing the simple task of reading.

I also don't like that it's over 100 degrees out and it could have been delivered to someone who is on vacation.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='cheapfrag']Wow... the controversy over cropping the original 4:3 format to make it 16:9... how do you guys feel about that? I guess I would have prefer the original aspect ratio but is it a "deal breaker"?[/QUOTE]

It was for me. Great price on the set, and I've been wanting it on DVD for quite awhile, but historical footage is something you don't mess with.

bread's done
Back