The Worst Video Game Deals... Ever!

[quote name='Bezerker']Only $78.99 for Geist on the Gamecube. In for 5!

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/saleevents/1118homesale/electronicsgames/2avideogamesdvds/PRD~126569/GameCube+Geist.jsp

All of their game prices are insane. The sad thing is, they probably sell a shitload of em.[/quote]

I don't think so. The only people who would EVER buy these games are naive consumers... and even they wouldn't buy them. Like, my mom has difficulty buying me a 50 dollar game for christmas, why the hell would she wanna pay 80? Lol

I don't understand why those prices are so high. In store they are normally priced and everything, but on their website nearly double the price.

I think those aren't bad deals at all. Just yesterday, I picked up Blinx the Time Sweeper for $65.99 - they might as well have given it away!

I used to have a screenshot (it didn't survive a hard drive wipe :cry: ) of an online store's reserve page for Turok: Evolution. The quoted price was $90,000.

I hope that was the best Turok game ever.

These deals really make one think about how things have changed, though. There were times during the SNES era when 64.99 was a decent deal for a game. I paid $70 each for FF6 and Chrono Trigger new.

[quote name='Pi573']These deals really make one think about how things have changed, though. There were times during the SNES era when 64.99 was a decent deal for a game. I paid $70 each for FF6 and Chrono Trigger new.[/QUOTE]

I feel you on that - that's what Mario RPG cost me too. I'd say I overpaid for those two, but they were totally worth it!

Also, I've heard some people paid like $90 for Phantasy Star IV back in the day.

[quote name='Run4Fun']I feel you on that - that's what Mario RPG cost me too. I'd say I overpaid for those two, but they were totally worth it!

Also, I've heard some people paid like $90 for Phantasy Star IV back in the day.[/QUOTE]
The most I paid for an older game (not counting current systems) in a store on release day was $85 with tax for Killer Instinct for the SNES. Now that game is a few bucks. haha......

I wonder if they actually realize how high their prices are. Someone has to have pointed it out to them at some point, right? If not, someone should.

wow. that is just absolutely ridiculous. who would have thought that a department clothes store would carry video games.... at outrageous prices.

[quote name='addicted2games']The most I paid for an older game (not counting current systems) in a store on release day was $85 with tax for Killer Instinct for the SNES. Now that game is a few bucks. haha......[/quote]

I remember the SNES version of Street Fighter Alpha 2 costing about $70. I played the hell out of it and loved it, but goddamn.

I bought Ogre Battle (snes) for 75 bucks and it was worth every dollar. I had been debating wether to get it for a couple of months. I finally got it and about 2 months later it came out for the PS1 ( w/ mid-battle save feature). I forgot the price but it sure wasn't $75.

I remember getting Final Fantasy III & Street Fighter II when they came out at EBgames (both 79.99 and surely that was over retail :D)

At the guy that mentioned Phantasy Star IV it was $100 when it came out as was Virtua Racing. Virtua Racing had some funny chip in it IIRC which was the reason for it being so high and I can't remember the reason behind Phantasy IV being so expensive even compared to SNES RPGs.

I remember alot of the Capcom games like Knights of The Round being 64.99 at EBgames, can't remember if that was retail or abit over, guessing over. I at least remember Nintendo being good with prices on 1st party games during the 16-bit era, I seem to recall getting Zelda ALTTP for $55 right when it came out at EBgames but it probably retailed for $50.

Those old cart games were expensive, but you certainly wouldnt spend $30 over full retail for them, which is what is happening here.

I guess this is because its a 'b1g1 free' sale and they dont really want to give you two games for half price.

*edit* it's not even b1g1 free, it's b1g1 50% off, which would make the games cost about full retail each, nevermind that most of these games can be found new for $10-20.

Yup. phantasy star 4 was 100 when it came out. Bought it at Meijers when I was 8 for 100 bucks, most expensive game ever at that time.. Couldnt believe it.

But damn, that game was worth every penny.

Even their clothes are expensive. The only time you shop there is when they are having a sale, which I consider to be regular price.

[quote name='Ice2Dragon']Yup. phantasy star 4 was 100 when it came out. Bought it at Meijers when I was 8 for 100 bucks, most expensive game ever at that time.. Couldnt believe it.

But damn, that game was worth every penny.[/quote]Man.... I got Phantasy Star IV about a year ago for ~$3 at a used shop. :)

bread's done
Back