The X-Files 2 July 25, 2008 - New Yahoo Trailer

well..time to re-watch all 9 seasons on dvd :) and fight the future...possibly lone gunmen series just for good measure ;)!
thanks for the good news OP, today just got a whole lot better

Read this news on the Variety website this morning...terribly exciting.

Christ, I loves me some Gillian Anderson.

This will be great, but I doubt that a definite date has been set. They've given out several dates in the past I was under the assumption that only recently has production begun.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']This will be great, but I doubt that a definite date has been set. They've given out several dates in the past I was under the assumption that only recently has production begun.[/QUOTE]

Did you read the press release-they named a date, dude.

[quote name='greydemise']well..time to re-watch all 9 seasons on dvd :) and fight the future...possibly lone gunmen series just for good measure ;)!
thanks for the good news OP, today just got a whole lot better[/quote]

Funny you should say so as I was just about to begun rewatching the series from season 1 sometime next week. Anyone remember where Fight the Future enters the series? It was between season 5 and 6 correct?

This also reminds me that I need to find where I put my Lone Gunmen DVDs. I should also finally buy the Millenium series as that has a slight tie-in to The X-Files. Where's the cheapest for all the Milleniums?

[quote name='keithp']Did you read the press release-they named a date, dude.[/quote]

Again, this has been done several times before where they've come out with a date or have said that they were working on a script with the actual filming set to begin. Until I see a trailer or something as much, I will not take thsi date as 100% true. Who knows what might happen between now and then. They might try to push the movie back, etc.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Again, this has been done several times before where they've come out with a date or have said that they were working on a script with the actual filming set to begin. Until I see a trailer or something as much, I will not take thsi date as 100% true. Who knows what might happen between now and then. They might try to push the movie back, etc.[/QUOTE]

So I guess you could say...

"I Want To Believe" :D

From http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117975124.html:

Posted: Wed., Oct. 31, 2007, 3:33pm PT

Fox sets date for 'X-Files' sequel

Scully, Mulder return to theaters on July 25

By PAMELA MCCLINTOCK, PAMELA MCCLINTOCK, TATIANA SIEGEL

The long-awaited second "X-Files" film is finally a go, with 20th Century Fox setting a July 25, 2008 release date.

Untitled project reunites "X-Files" creator Chris Carter will thesps David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson, who will reprise their signature roles as FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully.

Carter begins lensing in December in Vancouver from a script he co-wrote with Frank Spotnitz, a veteran scribe of the long-running "X-Files" television series, which became a worldwide hit during its 1993-2002 run on the Fox network. Spotnitz also co-wrote with Carter the screenplay for 1998 feature "X-Files." Carter and Spotnitz will also serve as producers.

Studio is keeping the film's logline under wraps, but stressed the pic is a stand-alone story and supernatural thriller that takes the complicated relationship between Mulder and Scully in new directions.

As of now, there are only two other titles skedded for July 25, both comedies. Sony unspools Will Ferrell-John C. Reilly starrer "Step Brothers," directed by Adam McKay, while MGM has bows untitled Ice Cube family laffer.
Plan to bring the "X-Files" sequel to the bigscreen was waylaid when Chris Carter brought a 2005 lawsuit against Fox over how the "X-Files" syndication profits were divvied up. Suit was later settled.

Earlier this year, the issue seemed to have been resolved, with Duchovny and Anderson both indicating that the film was finally moving forward.

Released in 1998, feature film "The X-Files" grossed $187 million worldwide, including a domestic haul of $83.9 million and an international cume of more than $103 million.

[quote name='hiccupleftovers']Again, this has been done several times before where they've come out with a date or have said that they were working on a script with the actual filming set to begin. Until I see a trailer or something as much, I will not take thsi date as 100% true. Who knows what might happen between now and then. They might try to push the movie back, etc.[/QUOTE]

I read somewhere that they're rushing this, and other projects, out the door before the Great Movie Armageddon occurs (AKA the writers strike).

wow it took 10 years to make a sequel :|

I lost too much interest in the show after Mulder left and by the time he came back I stopped watching it.

[quote name='-Never4ever-']I read somewhere that they're rushing this, and other projects, out the door before the Great Movie Armageddon occurs (AKA the writers strike).[/quote]

Yeah, I've been reading a lot more about that recently. Personally, I can't really blame the writers.

^Yeah I'm totally with the writers. If they strike I fully support them. The network and movie studio execs are being even bigger morons then they usually are.

[quote name='Kaijufan']^Yeah I'm totally with the writers. If they strike I fully support them. The network and movie studio execs are being even bigger morons then they usually are.[/quote]

They're following the other morons....

A little skeptical, because a non-mythology movie could be some Mothman Prophecies bullshit with Mulder and Scully shoehorned in*, and because of the seemingly rushed target release date.

Still, with Iron Man, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, The Dark Knight, and now this, it looks to be a pretty kickass and intelligent summer at the cineplex. I'm willing to wager that three of those four films will be low on the CG FX. Actually, maybe all four?

*--I'm sure this will be more than enough for many.

[quote name='jollydwarf']A little skeptical, because a non-mythology movie could be some Mothman Prophecies bullshit with Mulder and Scully shoehorned in*, and because of the seemingly rushed target release date.

Still, with Iron Man, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, The Dark Knight, and now this, it looks to be a pretty kickass and intelligent summer at the cineplex. I'm willing to wager that three of those four films will be low on the CG FX. Actually, maybe all four?

*--I'm sure this will be more than enough for many.[/quote]

What's bad about CG FX? It never sceases to amaze me how much people complain about CG even though there is nothing wrong with and in no way detracts from film, but usually, when done right, actually enhances it. CG also does not take away from the cerebral aspect of many films.

Also, clearly you haven't seen some of the previews for Iron Man which showcase plenty of CG. KofCS is going to stick to the Indie formula and use a very minimal amount of CG I have heard. Haven't read or heard enough inside info on Dark Knight to really know about that film.

Well, this is great. Not having all the shows on DVD (bought season 6 about a month ago after finding it at my local gamestop as part of a buy 2 get 1 sale). I'm looking at picking up Fight the Future, then watching the season.

I'm actually ticked off, Sci Fi finally started showing the early seasons at 5pm weekdays (so I could watch it right after work) and then they started showing movies in the time slot. Haven't found the show anywhere else.

[quote name='lordxixor101']Well, this is great. Not having all the shows on DVD (bought season 6 about a month ago after finding it at my local gamestop as part of a buy 2 get 1 sale). I'm looking at picking up Fight the Future, then watching the season.

I'm actually ticked off, Sci Fi finally started showing the early seasons at 5pm weekdays (so I could watch it right after work) and then they started showing movies in the time slot. Haven't found the show anywhere else.[/quote]

TNT still plays it on weekdays at 2AM-4AM central

[quote name='fart_bubble']TNT still plays it on weekdays at 2AM-4AM central[/QUOTE]

Really, might be time to fire up the old VCR and let it tape a few. Thanks

[quote name='lordxixor101']Well, this is great. Not having all the shows on DVD (bought season 6 about a month ago after finding it at my local gamestop as part of a buy 2 get 1 sale). I'm looking at picking up Fight the Future, then watching the season.

I'm actually ticked off, Sci Fi finally started showing the early seasons at 5pm weekdays (so I could watch it right after work) and then they started showing movies in the time slot. Haven't found the show anywhere else.[/quote]

Find a site like the now defunct tvlinks...

[quote name='lordxixor101']

Ummm... I was cooking myself dinner and the X-Files was on Sci-fi at 5pm like it has been everyday for awhile.

from hollywoodreporter.com

Threesome Mark Spots for X-Files
by Gregg Goldstein

NEW YORK -- The new "X-Files" movie will be packing more heat. Rapper Xzibit, Amanda Peet and Billy Connolly have signed on for director Chris Carter's next big-screen adaptation of the hit series for Fox.

Sources said Xzibit and Peet will play fellow FBI agents to David Duchovny's Mulder and Gillian Anderson's Scully in the supernatural thriller with a stand-alone story, not a sequel or continuation of the hit 1998 feature adaptation. Citing a policy of secrecy surrounding the plot line, Fox would not confirm any details regarding the three actors' roles.

Carter and Frank Spotnitz wrote the screenplay, and production is expected to begin this month in Vancouver. The film is set to hit theaters in July.

Xzibit recently was cast opposite Bruce Willis and Woody Harrelson in Oliver Stone's "Pinkville," but his schedule was freed up when that film was put on hold because of the writers strike. The recording artist, who has finished shooting "American Inquisition," is known for his role in "8 Mile" and as host and producer of MTV's "Pimp My Ride."

Peet also has signed to star opposite Mark Ruffalo and Ethan Hawke in Brian Goodman's drama "Real Men Cry" for Yari Film Group. The "Whole Nine Yards" star can now be seen in another alien-related film, the New Line drama "Martian Child."
CM8ShowAd("Middle2");

Scottish comedian Connolly, who received a SAG nomination for his role in 1997's "Mrs. Brown," has appeared in "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events" and "The Last Samurai."

[quote name='Demolition Man']Its about freakin time. Now if we can get that long talked about Millennium movie.... :drool:[/quote]
This made me very happy...I suspect it'll have the same effect on you.

I find it kind of hard to believe that Frank Black will be in the movie, Millennium is just too obscure.
If he is in it it will most likely be in a supporting role, and he wont get all that much screen time.

[quote name='Kaijufan']I find it kind of hard to believe that Frank Black will be in the movie, Millennium is just too obscure. [/quote]
17 million people watched the series premiere of Millennium in 1996. At the time, it was the highest ratings Fox had ever seen for a drama series debut.

Millennium ran on Fox for 3 complete seasons. After it was canceled, fans of the show wrote 44 more episodes over the course of 2 virtual seasons.

Is that how you'd define obscure?

[quote name='Kaijufan']
If he is in it it will most likely be in a supporting role, and he wont get all that much screen time.[/quote]
I don't think anyone here honestly believes that Frank Black is going to take screen time away from Mulder and Scully. Some of us were just excited by possibility that a beloved character might make an appearance.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i just hope the movie is more like a creature or oddity of the week compared to aliens.[/QUOTE]

Have you READ anything? That's exactly what it is.

[quote name='bmachine']17 million people watched the series premiere of Millennium in 1996. At the time, it was the highest ratings Fox had ever seen for a drama series debut.

Millennium ran on Fox for 3 complete seasons. After it was canceled, fans of the show wrote 44 more episodes over the course of 2 virtual seasons.

Is that how you'd define obscure?
[/quote]
Yes. You're not being very realistic about the popularity of Millennium.

Sure Millennium isn't obscure with hardcore X-Files fans, but the casual fans that make up the vast majority of the X-Files fans aren't going to remember Millennium and will have no idea who Frank Black is if he appears in the movie.

Many shows, especially shows based on popular franchises or by popular show runners get good ratings during their first episode. Obviously 17 million people didn't stay tuned in. Star Trek Enterprise got huge numbers for the first episode (like 12-13 million, and it was on UPN), but it quickly dropped off. While I didn't watch Millennium when it first aired on Fox, I'm sure it had a huge ad campaign that made sure everyone knew it was from the creator of the X-Files.

Millennium only lasted 3 seasons, and they had to wrap everything up in an episode of the X-Files. While I don't have the ratings for the show, I wouldn't be surprised if the Fox execs let it run longer then they would have for other shows because it was created by Chris Carter.

Just because fans of the show are writing virtual seasons just means that fans of the show are very dedicated to it. I know Firefly fans are writing a virtual season 2, and I still consider Firefly to be an obscure show.

Don't get me wrong I have no problems with Frank Black being in the X-Files movie, I just find it somewhat hard to believe that they will bring him back. Even if they do bring him back I'm sure it's just going to be a small role as a nod to Millennium fans.

[quote name='keithp']Have you READ anything? That's exactly what it is.[/QUOTE]

i've read that it was a stand alone from the main storyline, that doesnt mean it doesnt involve aliens. Now if they posted a story saying it has nothing to do with aliens, i guess i am out of the loop.

If it has nothing at all to do with aliens than what the hell is th epoint of the movie? After the finale it has to have something to do with aliens or it has to be a prequel.

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i've read that it was a stand alone from the main storyline, that doesnt mean it doesnt involve aliens. Now if they posted a story saying it has nothing to do with aliens, i guess i am out of the loop.[/QUOTE]

Oh ok. Well I took this line from the press release to mean it didn't involve aliens at all, like many of the shows didn't:

The supernatural thriller is a stand-alone story in the tradition of some of the show's most acclaimed and beloved episodes, and takes the always-complicated relationship between Fox Mulder (Duchovny) and Dana Scully (Anderson) in unexpected directions.

"supernatural thriller" sounds like it involves ghosts or other sort of paranormal phenomena.

[quote name='bigdaddy']If it has nothing at all to do with aliens than what the hell is th epoint of the movie? After the finale it has to have something to do with aliens or it has to be a prequel.[/QUOTE]

some of my favorite episodes were Alien-less sideshow ep, the ones with the live guy, the fluke worm guy, and the vampire town. If they could turn an ep like that into hour and 30 min i would be satisfied

bread's done
Back