The Xbox 360 experience is a Revolution

shipwreck

Staff member
Feedback
91 (100%)
I know a lot of this has been mentioned in articles about the 360 before, but I just wanted to post about how nicely everything is implemented on the 360 now that I've had some hands on time with it.

I'm really amazed about the whole "blades" setup on the Xbox 360. Everything is so seamless and thoughtfully integrated. It truly is a unique experience that is unlike anything a previous console has offered.

Everything about the dashboard operating system just feels right. Streaming your entire music collection from your PC is easy to set up and the fact that you can skip through songs with the media remote while you are still within the games shows that they really thought how people are going to want to use the features.

The center button on the controller does an excellent job of letting you access the important information while you pause a game you are playing. It's a very useful button and it lets you check on your friends list and other Live features without having to exit a game.

I absolutely love the achievements aspect of games and how they add up to a "gamerscore". I think it's going to add a lot of replay value to games as people are going to want to get all the achievements.

The Marketplace is set up nicely as well, and downloading demos and videos is extremely easy. I can definitely see this area being a big hit and I already know I'm going to be wanting some Marketplace points soon.

I think Microsoft has really outdone themselves with the entire setup on this thing. It's clear that they learned a lot from the first Xbox and it actually looks like they took a lot of ideas from what people were doing with modded Xboxes into account when they were planning this thing out.

This isn't your standard check your saves and account dash anymore. This is a huge step forward in home console design.

If I had any doubts before, I don't now. To know that you're impressed is a huge deal (to me, anyway), because you have, what, 500+ XBox games so you've definately had some experience. I'm hyped for it now (and this is not me being an ass, this is me being serious). It's good to hear some praise for once.

Let me ask you this: After playing the 360, is there any way you could ever go back to the first XBox? The LIVE system on it, anyway? One of my favorite features is that you can talk to friends on the 360, even if they're in different games. I can't wait to pick this up..

[quote name='Scorch']Let me ask you this: After playing the 360, is there any way you could ever go back to the first XBox? The LIVE system on it, anyway? One of my favorite features is that you can talk to friends on the 360, even if they're in different games. I can't wait to pick this up..[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite sure how to answer that, because I haven't tried playing an original Xbox game on Live on the 360 yet. With the original games you don't get all of the nifty features that the 360 offers, so I'm not sure that all the new Live features work on original games (I would guess that they wouldn't). I'll have to try that out tonight if someone doesn't post their comments on it here.

I know right now though, my original Xbox that can go on Live is not hooked up and I doubt that it will be for quite some time. (My modded Xbox is still hooked up though, so I can play any non-backwards compatible games on that). As for Live games though, I probably won't play them unless they are backwards compatible on the 360. (Hurry up and get Battlefront 2 working Microsoft!) I actually tried putting Battlefront 2 into the 360 and got a message telling me it wasn't backwards compatible.

Glad to hear how good a thumbs-up you're giving it, Shipwreck. How satisfied you are with the 360 is a barometer that I'm judging my jump-in point on.

Nice to hear that the XBL experience is as integrated as MS claimed, and that it seems to be a much bigger leap forward than it was on the Xbox. How well the console holds up and survives any QC issues out of the gate is what I'm waiting my time on.

What are you going to do with your non-modded Xbox? I'm in the same exact situation as you - I've got a original launch date Xbox that I modded and a non-modded Xbox that I bought last Christmas which I basically just use for playing Halo 2, Madden, and a few other games online. Everything else I just play on the modded Xbox.

Even if my modded Xbox dies on me, I'm thinking maybe I should just sell the non-modded Xbox as I probably won't ever use it again after the Xbox 360 arrives (I'm assuming that eventually I'll be able to play all of the original Xbox games on the 360).

[quote name='shipwreck']I'm not quite sure how to answer that, because I haven't tried playing an original Xbox game on Live on the 360 yet. With the original games you don't get all of the nifty features that the 360 offers, so I'm not sure that all the new Live features work on original games (I would guess that they wouldn't). I'll have to try that out tonight if someone doesn't post their comments on it here.[/quote]

I just meant Live in general. On the XBox, the dashboard, the friends list, the chat room.. would that still work for you, or do you now look back at is as ancient? I know what i'm trying to say, I just can't find the right words. It's like playing Perfect Dark Zero then playing PD64.. PD64 is almost unplayable due to the graphics.. eh, maybe you'll know what i'm asking.

I have been an XBox cheerleader ever since PGR2. I realized then that MS was concentrating not only on GAMES, but delivering a FUN EXPERIENCE.

Thanks for sharing your early impressions Ship; one thing: are you running behind a router?

[quote name='mEnTL32']I realized then that MS was concentrating not only on GAMES, but delivering a FUN EXPERIENCE.
[/QUOTE]

as corny as that sounds, it holds truth in it. well for me at least. i used to be a nintendo fanboy, then sony, then i kinda hated gaming until i had so much fun on the xbox (xbl especially). the xbox made gaming fun for me again.

Scorch, I think I understand what you are saying, and yes, I think Live on the original Xbox will feel ancient compared to X360's Live.

mEnTL32, yes I am running behind a router.

[quote name='minqqq']as corny as that sounds, it holds truth in it. well for me at least. i used to be a nintendo fanboy, then sony, then i kinda hated gaming until i had so much fun on the xbox (xbl especially). the xbox made gaming fun for me again.[/QUOTE]

dude that is so meeh...

I was hardcore gamer til the end of PS1 era... dreamcast, ps2, cube, then I could never stand more than an hour of gaming.. until I tryed XBOX live... oh those sleepless nites w/ 6+ hours of halo 2... live made it fun for meeh agian... now I play games daily... give or take 2 hours a day.

Xbox live is truely an unbeatable experience...

bread's done
Back